Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Frog Act posted:

Yeah I started with that mod that increases available slots in starting settlements to 9 by making them tier IV and it still took me about 75 turns to get one of the tier 5 buildings for each construct built. I guess there are ways to increase your capacity, I know Khemrian Warsphinx's are occasionally buffed with an extra slot by some Lords

I feel like I'm always moving too slow in vortex campaigns, I'm a good way in and nowhere near owning all of africa yet

The Necrotects have a trait, 'Ushtabi/Necrosphynx/etc' carver which adds +1 to your capacity and I think the generic Lords can get these as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

The Necrotects have a trait, 'Ushtabi/Necrosphynx/etc' carver which adds +1 to your capacity and I think the generic Lords can get these as well.

More importantly the Necrotects can buy abilities that boost the number of constructs that you can field.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I generally don’t like elves, but I just watched a wood elf fight vs lizards and... they look pretty cool? Maybe I should check their campaign out... ME turn times :(

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Jungle elves fighting lizards sounds pretty fun. I normally find the Lizardmen a pain in the rear end to deal with when playing many factions, but wood elves might do decent against them because you have mobility going for you.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Cracked open the elves in my cortex TK campaign. The amount of arrow fire they bring to bear is very intimidating, so expect to lose 80% of your tomb guard. Bone giants and ushabti tear them apart piece by piece and the HE arrows just can't penetrate.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ammanas posted:

Cracked open the elves in my cortex TK campaign. The amount of arrow fire they bring to bear is very intimidating, so expect to lose 80% of your tomb guard. Bone giants and ushabti tear them apart piece by piece and the HE arrows just can't penetrate.

The normal archers no, but be aware Sisters of Avelorn have a fair chunk of AP damage on their bows along with being magical attacks. And Sea Guard are both spearmen and archers, so they've got both anti-large and charge defense in melee. Ushabti can probably chew through them fine, but they might very well do more damage than you might expect. But yes, armored monsters are somewhat of a High Elf weakness since their dedicated anti-large infantry unit is sitting right at the highest tier of units. As are their dragons, and the AI isn't necessarily going to concentrate bolt throwers on the targets they need to.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks for the tips on lizards, I’ll give the big toad a go.

Silly question, by the way: Is there any reason to keep WH1 installed that isn’t playing non-Mortal Empires campaigns?

SystemAddict
Dec 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Fat Samurai posted:

Silly question, by the way: Is there any reason to keep WH1 installed that isn’t playing non-Mortal Empires campaigns?

I've heard Norsca is more fun with WH1 than WH2.

Never compared them myself.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Mortal Empires doesn't require WH1 to be installed. The only reason to keep WH1 is if you want to play the Old World only campaign for the turn times. Or the Beast/Welf campaigns I guess.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Not played for awhile, is the weird campaign battle difficulty bug where its flipped the opposite to what it should be still a thing?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I got Total Warhams 2 and the Tomb Kings on the Steam sale, but haven't gotten the Queen and the Crone yet, so I'm not quite sure how some DLC content works.

I knew the DLC factions would show up. I was playing a Mortal Empires Brettonia campaign, and I saw that a high elf army had a handmaiden in it, which I recalled was one of the DLC units. To see how it worked, I started a high elf campaign and found that the option to confederate with Alarielle wasn't available, and none of the buildings seemed to give the ability to build a handmaiden.

It makes sense, though it kind of sucks that there are now these guys taking up space in your territory that you might want to confederate with, but can't.

Speaking of which, I'm having the damnedest time trying to confederate with Bordeleaux in my Brettonia campaign. I have saves on turns 160 and 190. They just have their home province, while I have the rest of Brettonia and also Estalia, Tilea, and some territory in the Southlands, AND 300-some relationship points with them, but I can't get the confederation chance past yellow before the Wood Elves declare war on them, and I have to join in or break my alliance with them. Ugh. And I cannot figure out a way to convince him to get his army up off its rear end to help defend Castle Carcassone.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jul 11, 2018

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Dr Christmas posted:

I got Total Warhams 2 and the Tomb Kings on the Steam sale, but haven't gotten the Queen and the Crone yet, so I'm not quite sure how some DLC content works.

I knew the DLC factions would show up. I was playing a Mortal Empires Brettonia campaign, and I saw that a high elf army had a handmaiden in it, which I recalled was one of the DLC units. To see how it worked, I started a high elf campaign and found that the option to confederate with Alarielle wasn't available, and none of the buildings seemed to give the ability to build a handmaiden.

It makes sense, though it kind of sucks that there are now these guys taking up space in your territory that you might want to confederate with, but can't.

Speaking of which, I'm having the damnedest time trying to confederate with Bordeleaux in my Brettonia campaign. I have saves on turns 160 and 190. They just have their home province, while I have the rest of Brettonia and also Estalia, Tilea, and some territory in the Southlands, AND 300-some relationship points with them, but I can't get the confederation chance past yellow before the Wood Elves declare war on them, and I have to join in or break my alliance with them. Ugh. And I cannot figure out a way to convince him to get his army up off its rear end to help defend Castle Carcassone.

Them being at war with a hostile faction gives a huge boost to the chances they'd accept being confederated. Load your save closest to when WElves attack and then see if they'll confederate the next turn.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Mr Teatime posted:

Not played for awhile, is the weird campaign battle difficulty bug where its flipped the opposite to what it should be still a thing?

No, that was fixed.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
I also recently bought Warhammer 2 without the dlc and after conferated with Chrace as Lothern I gained two handmaidens and three units of sisters of Avalon as a bonus. The handmaidens seems a bit subpar as agents compared to nobles raking in influence and levels. Haven’t bought sisters into much combat vs armour so can’t really comment on them.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Dervyn posted:

I also recently bought Warhammer 2 without the dlc and after conferated with Chrace as Lothern I gained two handmaidens and three units of sisters of Avalon as a bonus. The handmaidens seems a bit subpar as agents compared to nobles raking in influence and levels. Haven’t bought sisters into much combat vs armour so can’t really comment on them.

View handmaidens as nobles you bring into combat. They can get the Combustible mage modifier, making them absolute beasts in combat. Meanwhile, your nobles are generating influence and nothing but that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Dervyn posted:

Handmaidens are fantastic in combat. They trade the anti-large of nobles for a railgun bow while still having good melee and they have really loving good skills as they level, like being able to give your whole army Hawkish Precision or provide Guardian for your lord and other heroes.

They basically exist to fill out your armies while your nobles are spending all of their time getting influence, which is a great thing to have.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
Thanks for the tips. Probably get the dlc at some point and explore the handmaidens some more then. Right now Ulthuan has been secured by my allies so they've seen little combat (gained ~7 levels since I got them), being they've only been used on defence on ritual waves. The nobles on the other hand have been powerleveling and now on the offence on siege battles as fully specced aerial combat units in lustria and Naggaroth. Honestly just want to finish the vortex campaign and move on to ME.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Dervyn posted:

Honestly just want to finish the vortex campaign and move on to ME.

Hopefully you have a good enough computer for it to not be a slog.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Bit annoying that in my last two ME campaigns (crone and snake mummy) most of the "evil" factions have gotten their poo poo kicked in hard. Greenskins get vaporized quickly, Morathi and Malekith don't gain ground and get overrun by the HE tide, Skaven do jackshit and the vampires are taken out by the empire. Even Chaos doesn't seem to get much done.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

Laughing Zealot posted:

Bit annoying that in my last two ME campaigns (crone and snake mummy) most of the "evil" factions have gotten their poo poo kicked in hard. Greenskins get vaporized quickly, Morathi and Malekith don't gain ground and get overrun by the HE tide, Skaven do jackshit and the vampires are taken out by the empire. Even Chaos doesn't seem to get much done.

In most of my campaigns especially since Alith Anar came in, the DEs just get slowly and methodically wiped out by the lizardmen/HE/Khatep triumvirate. The old world is the opposite in that the "evil" races always dominate, and what makes it worse is that the greenskins/vamps will be pushing in and conquering the empire/dwarven/brettonian lands and what are those factions doing to stop the advance? Nothing, they're all at war with each other, I did a double take when in the diplomacy screen I saw the Empire at war with Clan Angrund, Dwarves, and two brettonian factions.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Alith Anar's start is hard as hell, goddamn. Any tips or ideas on how to build him best? With ambush stance I feel better about skipping the automatic rush towards Lightning Strike, but other than that, I'm at a bit of a loss.

e: Also, how to use Shadow-walkers. I thought they'd be AP, but I guess not. I feel like I'm getting absolutely wrecked by shielded Dreadlords and Corsairs.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

Alith Anar's start is hard as hell, goddamn. Any tips or ideas on how to build him best? With ambush stance I feel better about skipping the automatic rush towards Lightning Strike, but other than that, I'm at a bit of a loss.

e: Also, how to use Shadow-walkers. I thought they'd be AP, but I guess not. I feel like I'm getting absolutely wrecked by shielded Dreadlords and Corsairs.

High Elves have a ton of archer units but they do poor AP damage except for Sisters of Avelorn . With Alith Anar just build a ton of spearman and archers and conquer in the early game. You're right, Shadow-walkers don't work well as skirmish archers against Dark Elves since many of them are shielded and walkers have poor AP. I found them more effective doing some skirmishing against unshielded units, then since they have Stalk, have them stop shooting and hide on the flanks until the enemy comes in range of your spear/archer line. Then have your walkers shoot into their backs, then they don't get the shield bonus and it might break up their formations. Don't forget that walkers are pretty effective against infantry in melee, so after they unload their ammo have them run in. They're fairly fragile, though.

Honestly I found walkers kind of underwhelming against Dark Elves.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Does AP affect shields? I thought they just blocked 25% or 50% of damage from ranged attacks, I didn't realise that having high AP goes through that.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Ardent Communist posted:

Does AP affect shields? I thought they just blocked 25% or 50% of damage from ranged attacks, I didn't realise that having high AP goes through that.
I don’t believe AP ignores shields; I think the point he’s trying to make is that low-AP ranged attacks will firstly have to contend with a percentage reduction in effectiveness from shields, and then a further percentage reduction from armour applied to the arrows that do get through.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Scandalous posted:

I don’t believe AP ignores shields; I think the point he’s trying to make is that low-AP ranged attacks will firstly have to contend with a percentage reduction in effectiveness from shields, and then a further percentage reduction from armour applied to the arrows that do get through.

Yeah pretty much, sorry if I was unclear. As far as I know shields are just a flat chance to completely absorb a missile from the front. The basic DE units have shields and a lot of their higher tier stuff is heavily armored, neither of which HE are very good against. HE archers dunk on low-armor and poorly shielded chaff but they're not very effective against DE. And Alith Anar is going to be mostly fighting DE, his focus on archers doesn't really help much.

Edit: I found Walkers to be most effective sneaking behind the enemy line and shooting into their rear as they engage your line. The poison on their attacks debuffs the enemy's attacks which helps your melee infantry, then the Walkers can charge in from the rear when they run out of ammo.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 11, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Shield block is a flat chance to ignore the missile hit. Missile resist is a %reduction from missile attacks, which is different. Typically units with missile resist don't have shields.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Scandalous posted:

Sounds like an authentic recreation of the experience of using archers on tabletop. Roll 4+ to hit, then roll 5+ to wound, then they get to roll 4+ to armour save and your 10 archer squad ends up killing exactly nothing :suicide:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ardent Communist posted:

AP doesn't, but just about the only units that don't have silver shields or high armor early on are low-tier Darkshards or Dark Riders. Shielded Dreadlords in particular can just ignore absolutely everything your archers throw their way and currently are eating Alith Anar's lunch in combat. Shakkara racked up 278 kills, including Alith Anar, in one fight and carried it basically single-handedly. If there was more AP ranged early, then at least you'd be able to deal with Corsairs fairly efficiently, but as-is, yeah, not a great line-up for the High Elves early on. I guess I need to rush for White Lions.

Also I got Shadow-walkers confused with Sisters of Avelorn, which is why I thought they'd be much better AP than they were.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 11, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah I only played about 40 turns but alarielle with an army with 3-6 units of sisters absolutely dumpstered dark elves, they seemed to beat a unit of dark shards 1:1

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Frog Act posted:

Yeah I only played about 40 turns but alarielle with an army with 3-6 units of sisters absolutely dumpstered dark elves, they seemed to beat a unit of dark shards 1:1

Sisters of Avelorn are 2-turns to recruit elite archers requiring a tier 4 building (tier 3 for Alarielle). Darkshards are tier 1 missile troops. Tier 2 if you mean darkshards with shields.

Of course they are going to beat them 1:1.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

What are some counters that lizardmen can use against ranged mounted units (in single player)? Every unit is so low...

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

ughhhh posted:

What are some counters that lizardmen can use against ranged mounted units (in single player)? Every unit is so low...

Carnosaurs are pretty drat fast for a monster unit and can probably chase down and corner a lot of skirmish cavalry.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Early it's skinks. Later it's dinos. To be honest, late game lizards answer everything with dinos.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Chameleon skinks are really good against most skirmish cav.

Actually they’re really good against almost everything.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Fangz posted:

Sisters of Avelorn are 2-turns to recruit elite archers requiring a tier 4 building (tier 3 for Alarielle). Darkshards are tier 1 missile troops. Tier 2 if you mean darkshards with shields.

Of course they are going to beat them 1:1.

I did mean with shields, I can't remember if it was the Phoenix gate or just the orange dudes but they had lots of them, probably due to the higher tier starting cities mod

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Senor Dog posted:

Chameleon skinks are really good against most skirmish cav.

Actually they’re really good against almost everything.

Chameleons murder basically every other skirmish unit in the game, it's great. Poison and massive missile resist means they tend to win missile trades against other light units handily, and surprisingly sturdy melee stats means that they're hard to disperse with melee light cavalry. You won't run down enemy light cav with them but you can use your chameleons as basically an invincible shield against them.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Are Ushabti Greatbows meant to be replacing my skeleton spearmen when I get access to them or do they fill different niches? I don't generally go with much ranged because I love weird monsters too much and Tomb Kings have so many different type of Weird Cool poo poo.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Pierson posted:

Are Ushabti Greatbows meant to be replacing my skeleton spearmen when I get access to them or do they fill different niches? I don't generally go with much ranged because I love weird monsters too much and Tomb Kings have so many different type of Weird Cool poo poo.

They're effectively artillery in monstrous infantry form so no, they don't really serve the same role as skeletal spearmen.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Oof, trying to push through the Gate near Alarielle early on is rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

High Elves have a ton of archer units but they do poor AP damage except for Sisters of Avelorn . With Alith Anar just build a ton of spearman and archers and conquer in the early game. You're right, Shadow-walkers don't work well as skirmish archers against Dark Elves since many of them are shielded and walkers have poor AP. I found them more effective doing some skirmishing against unshielded units, then since they have Stalk, have them stop shooting and hide on the flanks until the enemy comes in range of your spear/archer line. Then have your walkers shoot into their backs, then they don't get the shield bonus and it might break up their formations. Don't forget that walkers are pretty effective against infantry in melee, so after they unload their ammo have them run in. They're fairly fragile, though.

Honestly I found walkers kind of underwhelming against Dark Elves.

I found walkers with Alith Aenar very good to the point I flat out spammed them - but that's because what I expected from them was a performance like vanguard deploying Lothern Sea Guard (anti-infantry rather than anti-cavalry), and the upkeep of archers in light armour (or 10% more per unit than spearmen). Most of the game my army was Aenar, a mage, a hand maiden, a bolt thrower (eventually replaced by a dragon) for siege attacker and 16 units of shadow walkers turning the air black with poisoned arrows. The trick I found was to focus the cavalry and archers down first , and then skirmish and envelop the infantry almost skaven style.

On the other hand this was because I was paying half upkeep for my shadow walkers. At full price? Not happening.

Finally my Mortal Empires campaign map strategy was simple - once I'd taken Bleak Hold Fortress I built up and waited for Morathi to leave Quintex, and underwayed in to take it from her, leaving her a little bit messed up and without a real home base. Making peace with the lizardmen then gave me a secure border to head North and it felt too easy after that.