Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

GunnerJ posted:

OK, but on the other hand, we'll regularly say the Dems hosed up for assuming that Clinton would win in 2016, or that otherwise various measures that could be easily undone by GOP victories didn't matter. Not doing this might have enabled "planning on what happens when the pendulum swings back the other way."

edit: whoops, this is from way back.

for Clinton to be campaigning in Arizona and Texas and Georgia of all places and Obama to expect to hand off his presidency to her demonstrates the correct mentality, but then the Dems thought themselves to be a lot more popular than they actually were

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

you're trying really hard here

he's referring to how the dem leadership is openly quaking about ocasio and denying that she and the wave of dsa are any threat at all to establishment dems, and doomsaying that if the dems continue to swing left thanks to dsa/jd it'll send these Mythical Moderates over to the right

The question was rhetorical, you pedant.

Silver (and all the 538 crew, especially Enten when he was still there) hand-wring annoyingly about every right wing media narrative, instead of stating deliberately what is. This is a Bush-era liberal journo trait that has gotten really loving wearing.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

failing nate has to create the environment to prepare us all for his eventual election projections

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
gently caress it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Grimoire posted:

The question was rhetorical, you pedant.

Silver (and all the 538 crew, especially Enten when he was still there) hand-wring annoyingly about every right wing media narrative, instead of stating deliberately what is. This is a Bush-era liberal journo trait that has gotten really loving wearing.

he is literally undermining these exact myths that you're proposing that he's spreading

it's not (or at least is only secondarily) a right-wing media narrative, it's an actual centrist idea that going too far left is going to destroy them, and silver's data shows that this just simply isn't true whatsoever

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

double succ

https://twitter.com/katearonoff/status/1016896477690507265?s=21
https://twitter.com/pareene/status/1016900489840070656?s=21

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Cool how ocasio doesnt care about the 15th district

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

he is literally undermining these exact myths that you're proposing that he's spreading

it's not (or at least is only secondarily) a right-wing media narrative, it's an actual centrist idea that going too far left is going to destroy them, and silver's data shows that this just simply isn't true whatsoever

its good and healthy to be skeptical of nate "my head is a furry egg" silver, tbf

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nate saying good things should be viewed with a dubious eye, much in the same way that one should look at peter daou's heel-turn-face marketing shift.

edit: i mean, david brock attempted to apologize to bernie, but to say he went right back on his bullshit infers he ever left it in the first place.

Gene Hackman Fan has issued a correction as of 06:05 on Jul 11, 2018

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the failing fivethirtyeight

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

the same article also says that nixon wants to shut down all nuclear plants

so nobody's perfect

luckily, she doesn't have to be anywhere near perfect to be a hell of a lot better than cuomo

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i'm p sure somethingawful is the only place where people are "yes, give us more nuclear power".

related: if lowtax wants some easy cash i'm sure there's some power companies willing to rent posters as lobbyists

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'm p sure somethingawful is the only place where people are "yes, give us more nuclear power".

reddit probably

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
That was one sticking point I had with Bernie, too, but I'm not a single issue voter.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I’ve known more conservatives to be pro nuclear energy than libs or leftists. probably because they don’t care about the waste.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
It is a pretty complex subject that can't be boiled down to motivating sound bites, so say whatever on the campaign trail.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Al! posted:

gently caress it

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

related: if lowtax wants some easy cash i'm sure there's some power companies willing to rent posters as lobbyists

It's common among power nerds. That we're not researching thorium salt reactors with everything we have is ridiculous

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Corky Romanovsky posted:

That was one sticking point I had with Bernie, too, but I'm not a single issue voter.

bernie at least has the excuse of vermont yankee nuclear power plant being terribly run

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Uh, Iran?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Concerned Citizen posted:

is there any scenario where court packing doesn't quickly descend into constitutional crisis levels of absurdity? like in order to do it, first you'd have to abolish the legislative filibuster (since the court size is set by law, not just precedent). then you'd probably be declaring nuclear option to remove all rules that allow the minority to obstruct. after that, you are just confirming as many justices as you can - literally hundreds - as there is absolutely no reason to not do that. and as soon as the gop gets a senate majority/wh combo again, they then do the exact same thing back. i don't see how it's a desirable or realistic path.

i mean it'd be funny, like watching your government become a complete trainwreck, but also would not be funny because it'd be hosed up and somehow even more dysfunctional.

my dude its already a complete trainwreck thats funny and hosed up and dysfunctional. ride thsi poo poo into the ground or get out of the way

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

With an increase in the carbon tax, nuclear power will grow faster than all other non-fossil fuel energies, from 18% in 2012 to 38% with a $25 "carbon fee" (I assume they mean carbon tax) to 38%, according to the IEA, and the carbon tax we need may be in the triple digits. Being "neutral" on it through non-interference, then, means pro-nuclear is the default position, and subsidizing other alternatives without an outright ban would probably mean only slowing the growth of nuclear down. We still haven't found a good way to store the waste and I think we should switch away from nuclear power as fast as possible, but as a stopgap I think it'd be good for softening the surge in energy prices until then. We should be funding research into alternative nuclear fuels and technologies, but I don't think anyone here is against that.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

obama approved of bootyjudge so thats pretty much the kiss of death

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poo poo that's hosed here in tn:

there is a hell of a lot of waste in oak ridge because there is nowhere to put it.

also, despite the bulk of tva projects being in tennessee, there is nobody from tennessee on the tva board of directors.

lakes near tva projects suffer from p. bad water quality. like, 'don't swim or fish here' bad but nobody has put out any advisories to that effect.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i've heard that the nuclear plant in near nyc rests on some geologically unstable ground, and i could see opposing it from that point of view. but you can stick as many solar panels and wind turbines up as you want, there's no denying that nuclear is gonna be needed

Serf
May 5, 2011

actually gently caress that

build the dyson sphere you cowards

Serf
May 5, 2011

ascend the kardashev scale

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
plenty of SA posters were suddenly staunchly anti-nuclear once REMEMBER WHEN BERNIE PERSONALLY SMEARED NUCLEAR WASTE OVER LATINO BABIES IN TEXAS became a thing

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Serf posted:

actually gently caress that

build the dyson sphere you cowards

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serf posted:

ascend the kardashev scale

what kind of idiot fucker would wish a human species capable of exploiting all the energy of its star on the wider galaxy

isn't making GBS threads up one planet enough

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
if you're curious about bernie's opposition to nuclear power, check out how the vermont yankee plant was managed under Entergy and the NRC

Serf
May 5, 2011

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

what kind of idiot fucker would wish a human species capable of exploiting all the energy of its star on the wider galaxy

isn't making GBS threads up one planet enough

the kind of idiot fucker who knows that the only way we could do it is by being better than we are now (mostly by killing our masters first)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
think of all the data centers you could power with the energy of a local star

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Is America still like the only nuclear-powered country that doesn't have reprocessing facilities for spent nuclear fuel, or have we expelled those Carter-era brainworms?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

gradenko_2000 posted:

matrioshka data centers :stare:

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

gradenko_2000 posted:

why would you ever need to power more than one data center?

:commissar:

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Joementum posted:

if you're curious about bernie's opposition to nuclear power, check out how the vermont yankee plant was managed under Entergy and the NRC

This is kinda like basing policy on an anecdote. Yeah, acknowledge bad stuff can happen and take reasonable measures against bad stuff happening.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
succ

https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/1017017128837402625

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Is there any evidence that voters who would be inclined to vote for Manchin/Donnelly/etc but won't if they don't vote to confirm Trump's SC picks actually exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

• Locked thread