Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Dungeon World commits a bunch of design mistakes in the course of chasing after the D&D feeling that makes it a pretty mediocre PbtA game, but in a total vacuum it's still a pretty decent game, and it's good if you want to play D&D but with looser rules.

Which design mistakes were those? I’ve never figured out the precise issues with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Which design mistakes were those? I’ve never figured out the precise issues with it.

Defy Danger is absolutely atrocious (it actively goes against every bit of good PbtA move design) and the playbooks have way too many moves (which consequently means a lot of them are really bland/boring/bad "+1 to a thing" moves).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 10, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fair enough. Defy Danger being the catchall “you can’t just do that” move is kinda hard to justify, IME. The playbooks don’t seem THAT bad to me, though I hardly ever had to use most of the Thief playbook when I played it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Oh, and it also has some stuff that's just needless cruft but doesn't actively damage the game (like ability scores or rolled damage).

Honestly, if you completely removed Defy Danger and cut the playbooks down to AW-sized playbooks, most of the game's problems would be solved.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Oh, and it also has some stuff that's just needless cruft but doesn't actively damage the game (like ability scores or rolled damage).

Honestly, if you completely removed Defy Danger and cut the playbooks down to AW-sized playbooks, most of the game's problems would be solved.

What would Defy Danger be replaced by, or what would be used instead if anything?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Any suggestions for systems that work well with a high player count? A group of 6 or 7.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

LongDarkNight posted:

Any suggestions for systems that work well with a high player count? A group of 6 or 7.

I ran Feng Shui 2 for 5 and felt like combat flowed great. Having initiative work the way it does keeps people off their phones when it isn't their turn, because it could be at any moment. I still wouldn't run any rpg for 7 people because non-combat screen time is so hard to spread evenly, but combat-wise, FS2 is my pick

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Lemon-Lime posted:

Rolled damage is absolutely atrocious and means you get tons of fights where people keep swinging at each other because despite getting a string of 10+, there's no significant fictional change. I didn't realise why AW made NPCs so fragile until I watched DW fights devolve into the exact "I attack" "Okay well I attack" "I attack again" bullshit I abandoned D&D to avoid.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

If the answer to "what system should I run ?" contains Spellbound Kingdoms, then run Spellbound Kingdoms. Follow the link and be enlightened.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Lemon-Lime posted:

Is this something people have done already and might be available online? I recognise the point you're making but don't want to make the setup too difficult for the first go-around.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The DPRK posted:

Is this something people have done already and might be available online? I recognise the point you're making but don't want to make the setup too difficult for the first go-around.

It isn't that I know.

Just run DW as-printed for now, the design issues it has don't make the game unplayable. :)

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Yeah I ran a game in Dungeon World and it turned out fine. It could be better, but it's a decent enough choice.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Dungeon World is probably still better than 90% of games but that's because 90% of games are bad. If you've already got a group willing to play weird hippy games, why not play another PBTA game?

I don't think it's so bad you can never have fun but "we had fun" has never been a great argument because, yeah, you're hanging out with friends, that tends to happen. The games that are actively boring to play are really bad.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm looking for the best system to run a one off Subnautica adventure. For those that don't know, Subnautica is a video game where you crash land on a planet that (for gameplay reasons) only has a certain area of the planet you can survive in, and it's 95% water. It's very heavy on atmosphere and exploration, with a minor story of an infection and aliens, etc. I'm not looking to recreate the story so much as the exploration and tense sort of dread or panic associated with being miles underwater. Think also stuff like The Abyss or Sphere.

There are probably a million systems that would work for this but I don't know them. I do like the Genesys system, regardless of the grumbling I've read in this forum but that's a lot of extra legwork to do.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I feel like reflavouring Ryuutama would be one way to go.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Hey there,

I asked this in the D&D 5th edition thread, but they said I should check out here too.

I may be introducing a deaf/blind guy to "D&D", which he has expressed interest in. He can hear a bit with the help of an implant, but would need things read to him in order to fully keep track of everything. I've made the simplest characters I could think of out of 5th Edition D&D for him to play as were his wishes (he wants to either play a dragon or a ninja) but the complexities of the system may take a lot of explanation.

What would you suggest in giving a D&D experience without needing to refer to a character sheet all the time? We could use tokens or pennies to keep track of HP and abilities in a tactile manner instead of written down.

I do own Dungeon World, but I have no idea how to play it/run it. An actual play would possibly help if that would be a suggestion (but the playbooks have their own rules on them too).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Dunno about the system, but this might help?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm looking for the best system to run a one off Subnautica adventure. For those that don't know, Subnautica is a video game where you crash land on a planet that (for gameplay reasons) only has a certain area of the planet you can survive in, and it's 95% water. It's very heavy on atmosphere and exploration, with a minor story of an infection and aliens, etc. I'm not looking to recreate the story so much as the exploration and tense sort of dread or panic associated with being miles underwater. Think also stuff like The Abyss or Sphere.

There are probably a million systems that would work for this but I don't know them. I do like the Genesys system, regardless of the grumbling I've read in this forum but that's a lot of extra legwork to do.

Blue Planet

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Are there any systems that are like FATE, but aren't quite? FATE Lite or so?

The system is alright and I mostly love the idea of Aspects and the Fractal, but there are certain parts of the system that I just can not stand in a game like the seperation of player and character knowledge, or things like the fact that you can set a character on fire but still have it not mean anything without constantly feeding in FATE points.

Right now I'm itching to make an X-Files like game, but a system agnostic setting that I can port other settings into would be grand.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nessus posted:

My D&D group is considering a new campaign and we're in the market for a sci-fi system.

Desired goals: Moderate crunch (we've been playing 5E happily for over a year), a space-opera sort of tone, and ideally a relatively light metaplot - so Star Wars might work, but Fragged Empire might not.

Bulldogs is a solid Fate sci fi rpg, it has a campaign by the amazing Garth Hanrahan too.

Orrrr, you could use Mongoose Traveller and play the amazing Pirates of Drinax (Garth Hanrahan).

There's a theme here.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 23, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

OscarDiggs posted:

Right now I'm itching to make an X-Files like game, but a system agnostic setting that I can port other settings into would be grand.
I've never played it myself, but maybe you could do some reskinning on Gumshoe?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PMush Perfect posted:

I've never played it myself, but maybe you could do some reskinning on Gumshoe?

Nights dark agents (which is gumshoe) would do that really well. I'm not convinced it's that fun to play, we ran a few sessions of the Zalozhny Quartet and it was decent but not brilliant.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Gumshoe is like Hillfolk. A brilliantly designed system that, to me and my gaming group at least, is staggeringly boring. I'll rip off tonnes of setting material from Night's Black Agents though.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Gumshoe never even came up on the radar before, and looking at it it wouldn't be my first choice. But it is an interesting one.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
RULESET: Lite to Normal
SUPPORT: Anything but having to chargen every random mook
CHARGEN: Anything
SETTING: Hogwarts (or Off-Brand Hogwarts)

Looking for a game to play Harry Potter.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I wrote up rules for playing Harry Potter with Bubblegumshoe, went through character generation, and then promptly realized I had no idea for good Harry Potter mysteries, so abandoned that campaign with apologies. The rules might be good though.

Alternatively, someone else (I forget what username) here wrote Pigsmoke, which is a pbta about being Hogwarts faculty.

Much depends on what you think a Harry Potter game should be like; do you want the mood of book 2, with semi-competent staff, a mystery that unfolds itself very slowly, and only one spate of death-defying heroics? Or the mood of book 5-6, or the mood of book 7? Is the game about being a rambunctious youngster at a quirky magic school or fighting in the resistance against Magic Hitler? Harry Potter is a kind of conglomeration of all these things, but your game probably shouldn't be.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
So I want to get our DM everything they will need to run Dungeon World as birthday gift.

I'm thinking of buying the PDF and getting that printed at a local printers. It's 400 pages, does that sounds about right?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

There's only one good Harry Potter RPG

(I know what it looks like, but Erika Chappell is a top-notch game designer and goon)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I really like the "Please?" mechanic in this one, it feels very genre-appropriate.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The DPRK posted:

So I want to get our DM everything they will need to run Dungeon World as birthday gift.

I'm thinking of buying the PDF and getting that printed at a local printers. It's 400 pages, does that sounds about right?

Why not just buy the actual printed Dungeon World book? It's like $25, which will cost a lot less than buying the PDF and getting it printed unless your print shop is really cheap.

Also, that's more of a chat thread question than a "which system" thread one. :v:

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Lemon-Lime posted:

Why not just buy the actual printed Dungeon World book? It's like $25, which will cost a lot less than buying the PDF and getting it printed unless your print shop is really cheap.

Also, that's more of a chat thread question than a "which system" thread one. :v:

Haha you're right, I literally just posted there and came back to delete but you've beat me to it.

Because I've hosed up and I'm a terrible friend who left it too late to order from America.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The DPRK posted:

Haha you're right, I literally just posted there and came back to delete but you've beat me to it.

Because I've hosed up and I'm a terrible friend who left it too late to order from America.

Give him an IOU on the present? You could buy him the PDF now then get the book later.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Pollyanna posted:

Give him an IOU on the present? You could buy him the PDF now then get the book later.

I think I'll do this. £65 quoted for the 403 pages :vince:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sounds about right, yeah :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The DPRK posted:

https://leisuregames.com/products/dungeon-world-revised-current-printing-complimentary-pdf-via-publisher

Shipped 1st class, so usually it'll be there in 2-3 days unless you live in the Shetlands or something.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Suggestions for good systems for one-shots? I'm looking for something with playbooks or simple rules, something I can hand people who haven't heard of the game five minutes ago and can be good to go. Very short character creation is fine.

I'm not too picky about genre/style, just trying to think through my options.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Feng Shui 2, Strike! and Sentinels of the Multiverse the RPG. Use pregens for Strike!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Arivia posted:

Suggestions for good systems for one-shots? I'm looking for something with playbooks or simple rules, something I can hand people who haven't heard of the game five minutes ago and can be good to go. Very short character creation is fine.

I'm not too picky about genre/style, just trying to think through my options.

Fiasco! and Microscope are my go-to. Note that microscope is not as "i-dont-play-rpgs" friendly

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Covok posted:

RULESET: Lite to Normal
SUPPORT: Anything but having to chargen every random mook
CHARGEN: Anything
SETTING: Hogwarts (or Off-Brand Hogwarts)

Looking for a game to play Harry Potter.

Going to pitch my own Houses and Wands - a fairly basic PBTA hack where your statistics are the four houses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Moriatti posted:

Feng Shui 2, Strike! and Sentinels of the Multiverse the RPG. Use pregens for Strike!

I don't

what

even ignoring my own dislike for it, Strike is a heavy tactical RPG with involved character creation. that's the EXACT opposite of what I'm looking for

Feng Shui 2 is good, and closer, but still heavier and would require more rulebook work than I'd like

Fiasco is perfect though, and I've been wanting to give it a try for awhile.