Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kaethela posted:

The worst part of this SR map is that my idiot crewmates always take the lift up without me. I'm clearly being swarmed and I have an egg, let me on you fucks :argh:

Yeah, I can’t believe this is still happening after a year haha

And that video is neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Include the other fictional bands in the Splatoon Live Concerts, Nintendo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzWy0rroavA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH-6lkg9uaI

Knorth fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 11, 2018

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah, I can’t believe this is still happening after a year haha

That it still happens in Profreshional is what's really astounding. You'd think to get to that point you'd learn how to not gently caress over your own team.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh hey, the Splatoon Japan account tweeted. Is it patch notes?

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1016971013333049345

:geno: Oh.

This was uncomfortable

Trinexx
Aug 31, 2007

Ask me about time-shares at scenic Turtle Rock!

Kashuno posted:

This was uncomfortable

I know what you mean.... "Chip Damage" is such a better name than what is the official localization.

(These behind the scenes videos are always cool )

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
This'll be dumb, but are there actual lyrics or are they just singing syllables?

I'd assumed that they just had a customized vocaloid module, I didn't think there were live singers

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just nonsense syllables.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Just like all the music the kids are listening to.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Pretty much the last one. The map is Marooner's Bay. A map that heavily demands that players keep their homicidal tendencies in check. Unfortunately, not a lot of players realize that luring bosses back to the basket is really important for this map.

Thank you. I'll give it another shot with this in mind. Advice on rollers always welcome as well. My weapon of choice is the tri-slosher which I'm really starting to get a hang on and I find the umbrellas to just be cool even if I'm not so good with them, and while shooters are generally easy to figure out, the unique weapons like rollers and brushes still don't make much sense to me.

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Thank you. I'll give it another shot with this in mind. Advice on rollers always welcome as well. My weapon of choice is the tri-slosher which I'm really starting to get a hang on and I find the umbrellas to just be cool even if I'm not so good with them, and while shooters are generally easy to figure out, the unique weapons like rollers and brushes still don't make much sense to me.

Play around with the rollers and brushes in the test range for a bit so you can figure out the angle you need to hit enemies at and get a better sense of their ranges.

Edit: Lately I've been there to do some quick drills if I'm switching weapon types or if I'm on a losing streak. It really helps!

que sera sera fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 11, 2018

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Brushes are essentially a melee weapon, and you can get around extremely quickly by holding the fire button and running. Sneak up on someone and mash the button and hope they die before they can react. Rollers can be flicked vertically for a much narrower but also longer range shot if you jump first. Don't fall into the trap of trying to run someone over - if they see you they can just walk backwards and kill you before you can ever catch up to them.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

And how do you conserve ammo on them? They seem to guzzle it up like nothing else.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

100YrsofAttitude posted:

And how do you conserve ammo on them? They seem to guzzle it up like nothing else.

You conserve ink on a brush the same way you conserve ink on anything else: let off the fun button and swim to reload sometimes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Stack 57 ink saver main points

Jiang Shi
Oct 9, 2012

Kaethela posted:

The worst part of this SR map is that my idiot crewmates always take the lift up without me. I'm clearly being swarmed and I have an egg, let me on you fucks :argh:

Go the long way around, trust nobody

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Albacore RM is pretty tasty

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also today was the first time I tried Piranha Pit RM and this might actually be the worst map in the game. Moray and Shellendorf are annoying designed but this is like a Shifty Station tier of phoned in.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like Piranha Pit in TW when I’m looking to get money fast because if you get left alone to take the route on the left you can get a ton of points in before even joining the fray. My record is something like 633p in the first minute.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

You conserve ink on a brush the same way you conserve ink on anything else: let off the fun button and swim to reload sometimes.

Yeah, but the advantage of everything else is that they shoot forward, so you get to advance while you reload. Now you can jump with your roller but that seems to be a less efficient way of inking than just rolling, and the brush has very little forward coverage. But yes in theory you're absolutely right.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
My hot roller strategy is 'pick a real gun'. You'll never go wrong with a real gun. Even if it matches you with 3 other people that all picked real guns that's a totally fine team. But if you pick roller and it matches you with 3 other rollers, or all snipers or whatever then rip.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah, but the advantage of everything else is that they shoot forward, so you get to advance while you reload. Now you can jump with your roller but that seems to be a less efficient way of inking than just rolling, and the brush has very little forward coverage. But yes in theory you're absolutely right.

The roller and brush aren’t for inking, they’re for slinking.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Zaphod42 posted:

Idk but Crusty Sean being a shrimp that sells shrimp dinners is weird as hell

That's the weirdest thing about Crusty Sean? And not that he's breaded?

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Well you can't have him completely nude.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

My hot roller strategy is 'pick a real gun'. You'll never go wrong with a real gun. Even if it matches you with 3 other people that all picked real guns that's a totally fine team. But if you pick roller and it matches you with 3 other rollers, or all snipers or whatever then rip.

gently caress off.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The vertical flick is for making paths and killing people above you/out of range of the horizontal. Rolling is actually one of the worst things you can do with a roller, because it leaves you vulnerable to being shot while not leaving any ink in front of you. The way you actually paint the most, though, is with horizontal flicks, but rollers are more of a killing focused weapon type, not an inking focused weapon type.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The roller and brush aren’t for inking, they’re for slinking.

I suppose. I've seen people effectively using them in Turf War, inking massive swaths of terrain as well as killing opponents with ease. I'm like a deer in headlights when I used them.

Saint Freak posted:

My hot roller strategy is 'pick a real gun'.

I only really want to improve with them for Salmon Run. I much prefer buckets and umbrellas as my main.

raditts posted:

That's the weirdest thing about Crusty Sean? And not that he's breaded?

You sure it's not a severe skin condition?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

jetpackhewy posted:

Well you can't have him completely nude.

Why not, most of the jellies are, and so are the Judds.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ZeButler posted:

gently caress off.

They’re not wrong unless you’re really good with rollers. No need for hostility in the squid kid thread.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is profreshional 120 enough to play with try hard groups?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Being the one person with a gun on a team suuuuuuuuuucks, absolutely

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Finally got to Profreshional! Had a good team and most of all I hung back. While the others would rush forward, I was able to survive and revive when necessary.

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.
I've been on the fence about getting this since I got my switch. I haven't played a console shooter since the original Halo because twin stick aiming sucks if you're used to a mouse and keyboard. How lost am I going to be trying to learn the controls/how to play? How is the community?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

tehllama posted:

I've been on the fence about getting this since I got my switch. I haven't played a console shooter since the original Halo because twin stick aiming sucks if you're used to a mouse and keyboard. How lost am I going to be trying to learn the controls/how to play? How is the community?

You can use the gyro to aim and it's the best thing ever. Generally speaking aiming isn't as key as you'd think. Many weapons suffer from poor accuracy as it is, as the idea is to spray the arena and paint as much as possible. Even when defeating the opponent in more competitive modes it's crucial you're given leeway and again lots of weapons give you a large area of targeting. If you play multiplayer and single player you'll quickly pick up the controls. It's a fast paced game in which movement is just as important as shooting, and since what you shoot allows you to move further and faster you see how the gameplay works so well.

The community is fine? There's no chat function so you will never hear anything bad, you may see certain messages but that's it. I've only played with unknown persons and I've done alright for myself.

It's a terrific game and by far one of the funnest multiplayer experiences I've had in ages, I just wish local play was easier to get going.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I'm the dummy who just posted the ten game losing streak, so take any advice I give with a grain of salt, but with rollers, I like to roll until I get low on ink, then I swim to backtrack to reload, and then I roll in either a different direction or over a wide enough patch of terrain I've missed. If the enemy is near, I retreat to somewhere with cover and ink, or I try to stick with allies with guns.

Ink brushes seem to be for ambushing and pushing deep into enemy territory, as someone mentioned. If someone catches you coming head on, you're screwed because your ink trail is narrow and easily cut off. Rollers are slower, but the width of the trail and the range of your flicks make fighting and fleeing comparatively easier.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

tehllama posted:

If you're bad at twin stick this is probably the console shooter for you because the motion controls are more accurate but take getting used to anyways, even for twin stick veterans.

Play single player to learn the game, its pretty chill, basically Mario64 with guns.

Then play lots of multiplayer both casual and ranked, don't worry, even ranked is still pretty drat casual.

Community is great because Nintendo won't let you say anything to each other beyond "BOOYAH" and drawing anime pictures. Also half the players are children.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

tehllama posted:

Gyro aiming is great once you get used to it. The game modes are pretty simple, and they're not all unlocked from the start. There's a lot of depth and variety in the weapons but they're not all unlocked from the start. The maps are about the right size for a game with three-minute rounds, but only two per mode are in rotation at a given time.

Short matches (3 minutes for turf war, maybe 5 minutes ranked, 10 minutes salmon run) and small teams flow really well.

Character customization is pretty fun; stores in-game rotate through stock, the prices are low (if you play at all you can afford anything), and it's mostly clothes instead of like helmets with no eye-holes or one of four skins.

The community's fun, memes and lobby posts vary from sub-reddit-tier to kinda cute in an effort way. In-game you just have "Booyah!" and "This way"/"Ouch!" for your team, and like one rude gesture (seabagging).

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Squidbagging after kills is rude, but squidbagging to celebrate a successful shift in Salmon Run loving rules.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

GANDHITRON posted:

Squidbagging after kills is rude, but squidbagging to celebrate a successful shift in Salmon Run loving rules.

"Seabagging" (not everyone is a squid) but yes.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

tehllama posted:

Gyro aiming is just as good as keyboard and mouse once you get used to it but it does take some getting used to. If you’re up to it then give the game a shot. It’s really fun and stands out from other shooter games.

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.
Thanks y'all, that was exactly what I was hoping to hear. Gonna pick it up tomorrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

:woomy: