Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If you're married got a girlfriend/boyfriend then it might be good if they come along too. They take their answers into account as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That depends on the clinic and doctor. One c&p my gf came, another she was made to wait in the lobby.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Anyone have any experience with the choice program? It would save a lot of hassle for me but I also read about calling some call center to get an appointment instead of just calling a doctor, theres a whole hotline just for helping with unfucking your credit when choice dont pay, and of course it "runs out of money" every year. Trying to figure out if any of that has gotten any better.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I moved recently and went to the VA for in processing for the first time. The doctor looked at my VA stuff from 2012 and decided that they didn't run the proper tests for my service connected disability (xrays check bones not discs). He is scheduling me an MRI because he suspects the problem is a bit worse than they the VA decided before.

So if they do the MRI and they discover my back is more borked than they said before, do I need to do something special to try and get my disability % bumped up or do would that be done automatically?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Blackchamber posted:

I moved recently and went to the VA for in processing for the first time. The doctor looked at my VA stuff from 2012 and decided that they didn't run the proper tests for my service connected disability (xrays check bones not discs). He is scheduling me an MRI because he suspects the problem is a bit worse than they the VA decided before.

So if they do the MRI and they discover my back is more borked than they said before, do I need to do something special to try and get my disability % bumped up or do would that be done automatically?

They should do it automatically and backdate your compensation to the original claim, if not just call the VA over the phone and bug them.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Blackchamber posted:

Yes, you need to file a claim to get an increase. But keep in mind that the disability evaluation is based on your limitations, not the condition of your back. The regulations applicable for evalutions do not take into account MRI findings or x-ray findings, only things like limitation of motion and incapacitating episodes. So it doesn't matter if you have bulging discs, spinal stenosis, or other findings, you would have to demonstrate that you are more limited as a result of your back condition to warrant an increased evaluation.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

cult_hero posted:

Yes, you need to file a claim to get an increase. But keep in mind that the disability evaluation is based on your limitations, not the condition of your back. The regulations applicable for evalutions do not take into account MRI findings or x-ray findings, only things like limitation of motion and incapacitating episodes. So it doesn't matter if you have bulging discs, spinal stenosis, or other findings, you would have to demonstrate that you are more limited as a result of your back condition to warrant an increased evaluation.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I went back to the VA to be in processed to the system after 6 years. It used to be more manageable but now the pain is more frequent and making me miserable. Also not being able to lift heavy stuff anymore is equally sucky, I had to start hiring movers and stuff because even really light boxes wreck me (when I moved I paid 2 guys 300 bucks for 2 hours work to lift like half a dozen boxes that were stupid light and they were done in a few minutes). If the Doc's right its because of a bulging disc pressing a nerve that's getting worse as opposed to arthritis which just comes and goes?

Obviously this is all depending on what the tests shows and all that but I was just curious about the what-ifs. Really the most worrying thing is the possibility of spine surgery.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Hey yall,

I have a question about the post 9/11 GI BILL. I've been attending the summer term at my school since May 21.

My school official sent my certification today. What's the expected time I get my BAH for the months I already attended? Can I ask for a hardship claim to get that stuff expedited?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
It pays out the first of the month following the month attended, unless the first falls on a weekend, then it pays on the Friday before the first.

Edit for clarification: payments for June should have paid out on the 29th.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That isn't to say that you will have to wait until the end of next month. I've had 5 seemingly random partial payments in a single month before.

And then THAT isn't to say that you'll get it by the end of next month because, lol, VA

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

not caring here posted:

That isn't to say that you will have to wait until the end of next month. I've had 5 seemingly random partial payments in a single month before.

And then THAT isn't to say that you'll get it by the end of next month because, lol, VA

Yea this is my main question. If there’s a way to get that BAH money into my account without waiting for the entire month of July to pass.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

white sauce posted:

Yea this is my main question. If there’s a way to get that BAH money into my account without waiting for the entire month of July to pass.

Almost assuredly not.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That I'm not sure on. Do they make payments outside of the normal monthly schedule when they are playing catch up? Yes.

Can you force that? ... dunno.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

white sauce posted:

Lol

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
lol thanks y’all I didn’t know what I was thinking tbh

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I need some help.

I just was informed that our landlord will not be renewing our lease. I have 2 months to find somewhere else to live, and move. Problem is I can't physically lift anything. I have a wife and three kids.

Does anyone have that list of companies that help disabled veterans? To move stuff? I don't have money to hire anyone, and had to move everything last time myself. I was broken for about a month.

I have 1 year of school left. loving ONE! Goddamn it!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Where are you located? Reach out to your local veteran orgs (american legion, vfw, etc) for recommendations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Where are you located? Reach out to your local veteran orgs (american legion, vfw, etc) for recommendations.

San Diego.

I'm so tired of moving. My son is 4 years old, but he's moved 5 times. I keep loving crying thinking about it. I'll reach out, but not too many people have been helpful so far. That's why I came here.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Soulex posted:

I need some help.

I just was informed that our landlord will not be renewing our lease. I have 2 months to find somewhere else to live, and move. Problem is I can't physically lift anything. I have a wife and three kids.

Does anyone have that list of companies that help disabled veterans? To move stuff? I don't have money to hire anyone, and had to move everything last time myself. I was broken for about a month.

I have 1 year of school left. loving ONE! Goddamn it!

A quick search brought up this:

http://www.veteransinc.org/services/supportive-services-for-veteran-families/

Never used or contacted them for anything before, but it's worth a shot if you have no other options.

Unfortunately, as much as I love and miss San Diego, I'm on the other side of the country or husband and I could help :(

What part of San Diego specifically? I probably have a good number of veteran friends still out that way that may be able to lend a hand.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Sarah posted:

A quick search brought up this:

http://www.veteransinc.org/services/supportive-services-for-veteran-families/

Never used or contacted them for anything before, but it's worth a shot if you have no other options.

Unfortunately, as much as I love and miss San Diego, I'm on the other side of the country or husband and I could help :(

What part of San Diego specifically? I probably have a good number of veteran friends still out that way that may be able to lend a hand.

Thanks. I'll be giving them a call tomorrow.

I've finally calmed down. I am going to miss this place because I felt safe here. I live near USD, but will probably end up moving out by Santee or something. I hate commuting but I dont have a choice this time.

The silver lining is that we have two months to look, paint, and move. We will be selling a lot of our poo poo because we are pretty gung ho about moving to Europe. Pretty much as soon as I get my diploma. My wife talked me out of just making the move in a couple months and remaining a senior. Just never graduating. I'd eventually go to school in Europe to finish.

I'm so frustrated with this. It's the cramp on the last leg of the PT test. At least I know what the future is going to bring. In less than a year I'll be moving abroad and trying to figure out where the VA wants me to check in with people for medical stuff. I was going to stay and get my masters but I can do that over there.

Thanks again. I told my dad and he might be coming out to help. Maybe. I'll know more as the date gets closer.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Soulex posted:

Thanks. I'll be giving them a call tomorrow.

I've finally calmed down. I am going to miss this place because I felt safe here. I live near USD, but will probably end up moving out by Santee or something. I hate commuting but I dont have a choice this time.

The silver lining is that we have two months to look, paint, and move. We will be selling a lot of our poo poo because we are pretty gung ho about moving to Europe. Pretty much as soon as I get my diploma. My wife talked me out of just making the move in a couple months and remaining a senior. Just never graduating. I'd eventually go to school in Europe to finish.

I'm so frustrated with this. It's the cramp on the last leg of the PT test. At least I know what the future is going to bring. In less than a year I'll be moving abroad and trying to figure out where the VA wants me to check in with people for medical stuff. I was going to stay and get my masters but I can do that over there.

Thanks again. I told my dad and he might be coming out to help. Maybe. I'll know more as the date gets closer.

There's places out there that are also safe and close, 2 months isn't a lot of time but it is a good chunk of time to find someplace new. And really, Santee isn't that far. I used to commute from El Cajon to MCRD daily and husband to 32nd Street. We lived in a giant house with a ton of people and it was toxic and one day we decided enough was enough and the next week we moved to Kearny Mesa. The thing about San Diego is there's always stuff open for renters, there's a lot of other places you can move and still feel safe. If you don't want to get an apartment, find a realtor (I'm 100% sure you can find one who is a veteran and sympathetic to your needs) and they can help you find a new place too.

I wouldn't sell your stuff just yet. You are certain you are moving, but that's a year away and to be honest and (not trying to be rude, just real) you have no clue if that is going to happen because you can't predict the future. Slow down and don't make any rushed decisions because you are stressed.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

My biggest concerns are a safe place for my kids to play and the actual move. We did the move last time in a few days. I cant do what I did last time and moved basically everything myself. We are going to be incredibly smarter because this is our third move in two years. My third straight birthday moving. Not that I typically care about the things, but my family does.

We are minimalists. We have talked about the lack of stuff and we realize that most of it is just stuff. Junk. We dont have a lot right now and some are souvineers. We have very few "must take" items and we have so much wear on a lot of our pots and pans that we are just gonna toss them. Same with plates and silverware. We will eventually have to sell our TVs and electronics but basically, we dont have much already.

Dad actually just text and said he cant come out to help. So we might have to find a way to hire someone to lift stuff.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
When I've hired movers through Uhaul's website, it was 2 people for 3 hrs, at roughly $75/hr (3 hrs was the min). I've done it on a couple of moves, no complaints yet. I expect SD will be a bit more expensive, and with a family's household you'll probably need another couple of hours...assuming you're already packed up. I just wanted these guys to load/unload the trucks.

keylez
Dec 15, 2012

Small update.

Just finished up my C&P exam with the VA, which is potentially the most bizarre appointment I've ever been to. To be quite honest, I am not entirely sure that the elderly woman that I had an appointment with understood my issues at all. By the end of the appointment all I felt I was able to articulate in between tears was "My time in the military bothers me because of things and stuff." Any attempt at offering more detail at how something makes me feel was met with resistance. Needless to say, that place infuriated me.

Yet somehow, my claim is now at "prepare for decisioning" after they reviewed my C&P results (can I loving see this bullshit?).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

keylez posted:

Small update.

Just finished up my C&P exam with the VA, which is potentially the most bizarre appointment I've ever been to. To be quite honest, I am not entirely sure that the elderly woman that I had an appointment with understood my issues at all. By the end of the appointment all I felt I was able to articulate in between tears was "My time in the military bothers me because of things and stuff." Any attempt at offering more detail at how something makes me feel was met with resistance. Needless to say, that place infuriated me.

Yet somehow, my claim is now at "prepare for decisioning" after they reviewed my C&P results (can I loving see this bullshit?).

First, I understand your frustration. It can seem like an opaque process. The C&P exams are mainly to see where you rate based on the VASRD. Here's a website that has all the information regarding mental health.

http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/mentaldisorders.html

Your C&P exam isn't there to give a diagnosis or provide therapy/treatment. Most of them fall under the psychological rating system. There are specific criteria you have to meet to rate a particular disability %. For example, here's what it says about 50%:

quote:

50% rating: This rating will have the majority of the following circumstances and symptoms:

The Ability to Care for Yourself: This individual is occasionally hospitalized, but can mostly take care of the basic personal needs like bathing or going to the bathroom, although their personal hygiene may not be kept up regularly. They may also be able to function in areas like shopping, driving, cleaning, etc.

Medications: This individual requires psychiatric medication at all times.

Symptoms: Some or all of the following symptoms will be present.

– Trouble expressing or showing emotions (This doesn’t mean that they are just reserved. It basically means that they are completely blank the majority of the time), or shows the wrong or inappropriate emotion for the situation
– Always shows significant signs of anxiety
– Regularly gives unnecessary or unrelated details when communicating
– Two or more panic attacks a week
– Trouble understanding complex directions
– Trouble remembering things (forgetting to complete tasks, etc.)
– Trouble thinking logically and often has poor judgment
– A serious lack of, or a seriously increased, mood or motivation
– Occasional delusions or hallucinations
– Regular to nightly trouble sleeping (nightmares, insomnia, anxiety, etc.)
– Complaints of physical symptoms, like pain, that do not have a physical cause
– Suicidal thoughts, but no definite plan to hurt himself
The Ability to Work: This individual may try to work, but will not be able to hold a job for more than 3 or 4 months because of their inability to remember or follow all directions or other similar reasons based on the symptoms or circumstances described under this rating. (In other words, they wouldn’t lose their job simply because they have anger issues and would regularly get in fights. A person like that could also not hold a job more than 3 or 4 months, but they would still be considered able to work). This individual would only be hired for jobs like cleaning, picking up trash, or other simple-task jobs.

Social Relationships: Like his ability to work, this individual may try to build and engage in relationships, but these relationships would not last long in most situations. Divorce or other breaks in relationships and friendships could occur due to his inability to properly participate in a relationship.

Someone with a 50% rating will exhibit most or all of the listed items in whichever specific way their problem manifests. Your C&P exam seemed really odd and frustrating because they have to probe these areas.

In a few weeks you'll hear back from the VA with a decision. It's pretty quick following C&P exams these days and is mostly dependent on how fast the doctor gets your information in. The VA will send you a letter stating "we are rating you for X condition at X%. Here is why. Here is why you did not get rated higher: [list of things to warrant higher diagnosis]. If the VA was wrong, you can appeal this and they will either just increase your % based on your notice of disagreement alone, schedule another C&P exam, or ask you for more documentation.

Are you currently working with a VSO?

keylez
Dec 15, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

First, I understand your frustration. It can seem like an opaque process. The C&P exams are mainly to see where you rate based on the VASRD. Here's a website that has all the information regarding mental health.

http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/mentaldisorders.html

Your C&P exam isn't there to give a diagnosis or provide therapy/treatment. Most of them fall under the psychological rating system. There are specific criteria you have to meet to rate a particular disability %. For example, here's what it says about 50%:

Someone with a 50% rating will exhibit most or all of the listed items in whichever specific way their problem manifests. Your C&P exam seemed really odd and frustrating because they have to probe these areas.

In a few weeks you'll hear back from the VA with a decision. It's pretty quick following C&P exams these days and is mostly dependent on how fast the doctor gets your information in. The VA will send you a letter stating "we are rating you for X condition at X%. Here is why. Here is why you did not get rated higher: [list of things to warrant higher diagnosis]. If the VA was wrong, you can appeal this and they will either just increase your % based on your notice of disagreement alone, schedule another C&P exam, or ask you for more documentation.

Are you currently working with a VSO?

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it. When I posted that message, I was in a pretty anxiety ridden place (still am). I understand why the exam was like that, but it was really difficult to talk about these things without the typical "encouragement" that is offered by counselors and therapists. It was like I had to mention these things, and there was no recourse for how I felt. Just kinda sucked--and because I was in such a heightened emotional state, I felt like I missed essential details during that exam.

I was working with a VSO initially. I had interacted with them a number of times and after receiving enough bad direction, I went without. I recognize that they are likely overwhelmed servicing Chicagos veteran population, which is why I experienced such weird treatment from them. I figured between google, these forums, and a few friends, that I would be able to fumble my way through the VA claims process.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

keylez posted:

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it. When I posted that message, I was in a pretty anxiety ridden place (still am). I understand why the exam was like that, but it was really difficult to talk about these things without the typical "encouragement" that is offered by counselors and therapists. It was like I had to mention these things, and there was no recourse for how I felt. Just kinda sucked--and because I was in such a heightened emotional state, I felt like I missed essential details during that exam.

I was working with a VSO initially. I had interacted with them a number of times and after receiving enough bad direction, I went without. I recognize that they are likely overwhelmed servicing Chicagos veteran population, which is why I experienced such weird treatment from them. I figured between google, these forums, and a few friends, that I would be able to fumble my way through the VA claims process.

If anything, it won't be your only assessment. It was like 6 years between my initial exam and my last one, but that wasn't me pushing for it at all. I actually got a percentage increase after it. Now that I've had my in-processing at the VA medical center my doctor set me an appointment with the mental health clinic. He's trying to get me into a study they have going where they prescribe medication based on your genetics, which was already awesome because they had to draw extra blood on top of the other stuff they were doing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

keylez posted:

Even if you're not having them file everything, keep your VSO in the loop especially if they are affiliated with a national VSO. This matters if you get to an point where you need an actual lawyer on appeal. It makes life easier at that point, but it isn't likely you'll get there.

You may have very well missed things with the doctor, but like I said, the VASRD doesn't require you hit 100% of the wickets. Whenever you get the decision from them, you can sit down and say "they missed x, y, and z because I forgot to mention it" or whatever if you think the rating is too low. You'll include this stuff in your notice of disagreement (NOD). If there were any C&P irregularities (this is a place where a VSO also helps), you can get a new exam.

I know it sucks, but you'll get it all sorted eventually. And yeah, it really sucks to have to open up old wounds and have no followup or anything. If you can, see if you can get in with your normal doc to talk about it. If there's something glaringly missed, you can also get a note from your doctor to include in your NOD. If they're a VA doctor, just say "see note from Dr. whatever on X date."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Asking for a friend (and myself, after he asked me): Is there a way to get your military medical records electronically? He apparently keeps getting pointed to the regular VA benefits website (where you'd get your loan letter) but that's not the right place.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Myhealthevet?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

Asking for a friend (and myself, after he asked me): Is there a way to get your military medical records electronically? He apparently keeps getting pointed to the regular VA benefits website (where you'd get your loan letter) but that's not the right place.

You can get your VA records on myhealthevet pretty easily. I don't know of an analogous system for military medicine, but I'm also 5 years out. I did recently call up Tripler records department, and they were super fast and easy about emailing me any record I needed and mailed me MRI images on a cd rom.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Soulex posted:

Myhealthevet?

Huh, I never heard of this site. I just signed up and it has absolutely no records about me, not while I was in nor from the VA, except that it has all my blood tests. No one told me I have slightly high cholesterol, I had no idea.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Zero VGS posted:

Huh, I never heard of this site. I just signed up and it has absolutely no records about me, not while I was in nor from the VA, except that it has all my blood tests. No one told me I have slightly high cholesterol, I had no idea.

You have to get a premium account to see any real records from the VA. And you won't find anything from active duty online. That would be way too easy and make things smooth for service connected disability when the VA could access your active duty records.

Step One: finding out where your record is:
https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/medical-records.html

Then you will need to contact by phone where your record is to get the process rolling. So in my case, I was Navy and got out in 2010. I would have to contact the VA Records Management which says:

quote:

All requested records are downloaded from VBMS and merged into a PDF file, reviewed, redacted or withheld as appropriate in accordance with law, and the finished product is burned to a CD and mailed to the Veteran for use on a personal computer.

But then further searching points me here:

quote:

The VA Records Center and Vault frequently receives calls and e-mails from Veterans seeking military and/or medical records. Unfortunately, we are unable to assist because the records requested are usually not at our Center.

Isn't that lovely? It may be easier depending on what year you got out and what branch. It's likely there's no form you can fill out online, you'll have to call/make a written request.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

You can get your VA records on myhealthevet pretty easily. I don't know of an analogous system for military medicine, but I'm also 5 years out. I did recently call up Tripler records department, and they were super fast and easy about emailing me any record I needed and mailed me MRI images on a cd rom.

I've never heard of this, so thanks.

As for the rest: :lol: Perfect, and exactly what I expected. I'll just copy/paste Sarah's post for him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

I've never heard of this, so thanks.

As for the rest: :lol: Perfect, and exactly what I expected. I'll just copy/paste Sarah's post for him.

Yeah if you know the treatment facility where he was treated call up the records department there. They were surprisingly helpful and very responsive once I actually got a live person on the phone. You'll have to scan&email/fax/drop off/mail in a form for release, and the more specific you are on date/time and what you're looking for the easier it is for them.

If your dude is not working with a VSO already, I highly suggest he get with one. If he's in north florida I can try to hook him up.

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.
Good to see some of you fuckers are still around :911:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
U a bitch

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones