Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nobody has any idea what the hyperloop is even supposed to be, let alone what it is, so they're free to imagine whatever they like

will it replace airliners? you bet!
can i take it to work? of course!
can the kids ride it home from school? why wouldn't they?
will i still need a car? only if it's a tesla!
is it like that futurama thing where you get in a pneumatic tube and pop out across town seconds later? whatever you say!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Sagebrush posted:

nobody has any idea what the hyperloop is even supposed to be, let alone what it is, so they're free to imagine whatever they like

is it like that futurama thing where you get in a pneumatic tube and pop out across town seconds later? whatever you say!

the first person to try musks hyperloop is going to slam into a wall at 900 mph and he's going to call it a feature, not a bug

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Roosevelt posted:

the first person to try musks hyperloop is going to slam into a wall at 900 mph and he's going to call it a feature, not a bug

that sounds like a pretty good feature, honestly

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Roosevelt posted:

nah, it'll be user error

our sensors detected that they fell asleep just after their body passed mach 3 and the container depressurized, and they ignored the one prompt to wake up and hit the e-stop button

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Elon musk is an engineer like a sperm donor is a geneticist

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Roosevelt posted:

which is ironic because usually it's bugs that get squashed

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
in non musk cave news

Uber's head of HR resigns following racial discrimination probe posted:

Chief People Officer Liane Hornsey is one of the ride-share firm's top spokespeople on diversity and discrimination issues.

SAN FRANCISCO - Uber Technologies Inc's Chief People Officer Liane Hornsey resigned in an email to staff on Tuesday, following an investigation into how she handled allegations of racial discrimination at the ride-hailing firm.

The resignation comes after Reuters contacted Uber on Monday about the previously unreported investigation into accusations from anonymous whistleblowers that Hornsey had systematically dismissed internal complaints of racial discrimination.

Hornsey is head of Uber's human resources department and one of the firm's top spokespeople on diversity and discrimination issues. She had been in the role for about 18 months.

Chief Executive Dara Khosrowshahi praised her in an email to employees, which was seen by Reuters, as "incredibly talented, creative, and hard-working." He gave no reason for her departure.

Hornsey acknowledged in a separate email to her team at Uber, also seen by Reuters, that her exit "comes a little out of the blue for some of you, but I have been thinking about this for a while."

She also gave no reason for her resignation and has not responded to requests for comment about the investigation.

The allegations against her and Uber's human resources department more broadly were made by an anonymous group that claims to be Uber employees of color, members of the group told Reuters.

They alleged Hornsey had used discriminatory language and made derogatory comments about Uber Global Head of Diversity and Inclusion Bernard Coleman, and had denigrated and threatened former Uber executive Bozoma Saint John, who left the company in June.

They also said complaints filed to Uber’s anonymous tip line were often left unresolved or were dismissed, especially if they dealt with issues of race.

The complainants also accused the company of ignoring a board-approved recommendation by former U.S Attorney General Eric Holder that its head of diversity report directly to the company's CEO or COO.

Uber told Reuters in a statement that the complaints had been properly investigated.

"We are confident that the investigation was conducted in an unbiased, thorough and credible manner, and that the conclusions of the investigation were addressed appropriately," it said.
:cb:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ate all the Oreos posted:

there was an interview on the radio the other day that was talking about "how will the hyperloop change everything from your daily commute to the family car trip??" like it's gonna be a fuckin nationwide subway system with stops everywhere or something so at the very least there's a big weird divide between what musk actually promised and what a lot of people apparently think is being built

the muskman quite clearly wants a deep deep earth members-only ultrasonic subway that only has enough capacity for single-person, on-demand cars for the wealthiest

like he hasn’t tried to hide this even in the slightest. every single one of his fanboys tacitly buys into this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Chief People Officer

also, uber is racist as gently caress? the hell you say!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

whoever could have guessed that a company whose entire business model from the ground up has been operating in bad faith, in contravention of the law, would also have a toxic corporate culture?

probably no one.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i lust for uber death

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is it known whether the Uber complaints were a bunch of Damores complaining about racial discrimination holding back the white man because biotruths?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

this one's a bit of a stretch

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

this one's a bit of a stretch

i agree, there's no ring to it

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

this is the worst parody of the monorail song ever

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Gazpacho posted:

he's also not american so it's not necessarily his business

he lives and works in america and was on trumps business council thing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

whoever could have guessed that a company whose entire business model from the ground up has been operating in bad faith, in contravention of the law, would also have a toxic corporate culture?

probably no one.

I don't give a poo poo about ubers corporate culture as long as they keep subsidizing cheap rides.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

Elon musk is an engineer like a sperm donor is a geneticist

god i had to explain to a friend's friend last night that no he's not an engineer and managing engineers does not mean you know how to actually do engineering work. dude was convinced that ol musky is personally designing suspension parts* and rocket engines in between his daily twitter meltdowns.

*this might actually be true given how bad they are

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

I don't give a poo poo about ubers corporate culture as long as they keep subsidizing cheap rides.

they're not the ones subsidizing it poor people are

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im fine w/ that too. a lot of ubers ive been in were boomers so I like to imagine they're retired and don't have enough money so they get to drive me around.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
capitalism is bad y'all

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

exploded mummy posted:

this is the worst parody of the monorail song ever

we've got hyperloop
in frisco city
from the man named E
and that looks with F
and that stands for fool

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Stringent posted:

capitalism is bad y'all

wrong. capitalism owns

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
capitalism does own, in that exclusive property is the foundational principle on which capitalism rests

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Shaggar posted:

wrong. capitalism owns

thing owns says man benefiting from thing

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

haveblue posted:

capitalism does own, in that exclusive property is the foundational principle on which capitalism rests

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/hoonable/status/1017061769439776768

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Shaggar posted:

capitalism owns every living thing

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

$12/hr

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

ADINSX posted:

thing owns says man benefiting from thing

rule 36 bitch
get out poors

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
$12/hr, contract, no benefits or vacation or sick days, doing hard physical labor, and being let go the moment that demand flags

sign me up!

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Work six days a week all for $12 an hour.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1016704552253493250

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Wait is the manufacturing market in the US so desperate that people will actually take a $12/hr, 6-day a week contract position?

You're gonna get high schoolers and methheads

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

drug test!

but yeah hand finishing imported injection moldings is probably cheaper in michigan than sri lanka because they normally do stuff that doesn't require hand loving filing to fit.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Not a Children posted:

Wait is the manufacturing market in the US so desperate that people will actually take a $12/hr, 6-day a week contract position?

some people just want the dignity that comes with Doing Labor

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure I made more than that per hour waiting tables in high school when the minimum wage was 2.13 an hour, and never had to take a drug test

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Not a Children posted:

Wait is the US so bad that people will actually take a $12/hr, 6-day a week contract position?
yes

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Not a Children posted:

$12/hour is the current effective minimum wage, so yeah its basically the bottom of the barrel in terms of employees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i recently saw a job posting for doing database operations and maintenance at $10/hour. jeff bezos earned $1000 in the time it took me to push submit reply