Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Saving money in Argentina right now is like running on a treadmill. It's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Saving money in Argentina right now is like running on a treadmill. It's bad.

I mean the Peso hasn't hit a full devaluation cycle yet, but it seems like there is little way (or arguably reason) to save in Pesos considering the amount of inflation/devaluation that is happening.

If the middle class really doesn't have any savings to fall back on in foreign currency, I could see the situation falling apart pretty rapidly since there is basically nothing to destabilize consumer spending (and credit is pretty much impossible considering current interest rates).

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Here are Obrador's Austerity proposals

https://aristeguinoticias.com/1507/mexico/presenta-amlo-lineamientos-de-austeridad-ganara-108-mil-pesos-40-de-lo-que-tiene-epn/

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/amlo-lawmakers-prepare-austerity-plan/

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
A drenar el pantano.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
This is going to sound crazy weird, but the Wondermega is the most Brazilian looking console I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BvJPW3e004

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

This is going to sound crazy weird, but the Wondermega is the most Brazilian looking console I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BvJPW3e004

It's insane how Tec Toy is still in business sell despite cellphones having way more processing power than the Mega Drive emulator machinese they keep churning.

E: lmao that's actually from Japan

http://blogtectoy.com.br/wondermega-mega-drive-faces/

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Plutonis posted:

It's insane how Tec Toy is still in business sell despite cellphones having way more processing power than the Mega Drive emulator machinese they keep churning

That isn't an emulator but a real Genesis system form the 1990s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssfKMxrj2IE

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The CDX is a way better design for the same concept of a combined system. :colbert:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Wondermega never got released in Brazil though, unlike the CDX.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I actually remember that ad, what the gently caress.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I remember having this exact same model of knockoff NES (well okay, technically knockoff Famicom, which is why the term "NES" was virtually unknown and it just was called "family")

Was it common in other Latam countries? Also the thing where video-clubs rented out cartridges.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 24, 2018

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Pochoclo posted:

I remember having this exact same model of knockoff NES (well okay, technically knockoff Famicom, which is why the term "NES" was virtually unknown and it just was called "family")

Was it common in other Latam countries? Also the thing where video-clubs rented out cartridges.

Yup. If I remember right, mine was the same but it had a more rectangular, blocky body similar to the original japanese console. I knew of no place where you could rent games for it but they WERE readily available for sale at the local market. I used to buy games there from time to time, sometimes they wouldn't work and we'd have to go back and complain.

Imagine my surprise when I visited a friend's house and they had a real, actual NES. I had never even seen one of those before, even if we always talked about playing the same games.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Det_no posted:

Yup. If I remember right, mine was the same but it had a more rectangular, blocky body similar to the original japanese console. I knew of no place where you could rent games for it but they WERE readily available for sale at the local market. I used to buy games there from time to time, sometimes they wouldn't work and we'd have to go back and complain.

Imagine my surprise when I visited a friend's house and they had a real, actual NES. I had never even seen one of those before, even if we always talked about playing the same games.

We actually thought that the real NES was just another knockoff for the longest time. There were so drat many, and some that even were 'better' in some way. My friend had one that had cartridge ports for for the american NES and the japanese Famicom, all in the same console.

I still remember being bored of the Atari games, then going to a friend's house whose parents were both doctors and could afford to buy his love, and seeing loving Altered Beast on the Sega Master System. It fairly blew my young mind. I asked my parents for one for my borthday, but we were not doing so hot financially, and my dad got me a much cheaper Phantom System, another local NES variant that came with the dreadful Ghostbusters game. I was quite miserable.

....for about two weeks, when a flood of pirated NES games invaded the country via Paraguay, dirt cheap. The local Sega console started with a 90 game library and added maybe 2 games a year, while Nintendo crapped out that many games every minute. Suddenly it was the Master System owners feeling crap and spendingtime at my house to play Contra and Mario 3.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I wish I could find a way to convey all of Argentina’s political backstory, pathos and emotional baggage with the dollar just so I could post some of the amazing memes this currency devaluation is producing.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I wish I could find a way to convey all of Argentina’s political backstory, pathos and emotional baggage with the dollar just so I could post some of the amazing memes this currency devaluation is producing.

No kidding. It rained buckets today and people were still marching outside, pissed as hell.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Postealos de todas formas, camarada.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

This video, if you could somehow translate it to English, and make all the references understood, still applies and will apply forever because we're loving idiots who keep voting neoliberals somehow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1rm8I2UT2Y

I moved to the UK but I still have family in Argentina and it's kinda scary looking from the outside

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
yo soy peronista de López Rega

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

yo soy peronista de López Rega

"Peronista" barely means anything at this point.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

Postealos de todas formas, camarada.

Yesterday was simultaneously one of the most infuriating, depressing and funniest days in recent memory all at once.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I remember a bunch of pundits hoping for a Macri-like showing up in Brazil, I think Doria tried to sell himself as the one?

Coraje, hermanos.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Brazilian supreme court approved a law that removed any kind of restrictions on outsourcing and prohibited Lula from running.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Plutonis posted:

The Brazilian supreme court approved a law that removed any kind of restrictions on outsourcing and prohibited Lula from running.

In for a penny, in for a pound.

I keep telling my friends who are still surprised by the courts that the gloves came off in 2016, and they will do anything and everything to prevent a backlash, appearances be damned. Thumb noses at the UN, mess with the order and structure of legal procedures, hang a politician while letting others in the same circumstance or worse skate. It's playing for keeps now. I can't tell if they are supremely confident in getting their way forever, or if it has an element of nazi command getting drunk and banging hookers and stealing art while Berlin fell around them, enjoy it while you can, fellas.

And if somehow a backlash still hits (their actions are surely eroding our already weak institutions fast enough to cause one), they will cheer a military/violent reprisal as the only reasonable response to it, and lose not a moment's worth of sleep over it.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Which industries were abusing the outsourcing the most? I know at least in publishing the outsourcing thing was rampant, and technically illegal but not actually super terrible. Thanks to the Micro Business set-up, the outsourced employee basically avoids a lot of tax, doesn't have a portion of their salary diverted to a food card etc. The end result is a bigger chunk of discretionary income - the only downside being losing access to theoretically cheaper health insurance (though a married couple only needs one of them hired for the coverage). Of course, this rests on the business paying the same "value" package to hired and outsourced employees. You don't have as much "job security" in case of being fired without cause, but lol a friend was fired mid-2016 and os still waiting for the process to finish. Not much good if you're living month to month.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
I'm going to Buenos Aires next week for work. Are the shady exchange venues where you get a much better exchange rate back in vouge?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Freezer posted:

I'm going to Buenos Aires next week for work. Are the shady exchange venues where you get a much better exchange rate back in vouge?

The cuevas never really stopped existing, but it doesn't really make sense to go to one nowadays unless you're dealing in dirty money and/or don't want to leave a paper trail, because since Macri released the restrictions on buying foreign currency, you can just go to regular exchange houses which have pretty good rates. Plenty of those near Plaza de Mayo.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Freezer posted:

No, difference is maybe 1% at most and most times you’ll get ripped off.

You’ll probably get the best exchange rate out of ATMs, honestly, assuming you have no-fee debit card.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Thanks, I think I'll just use the credit card then. Time to stock up on quality Malbec on the cheap!

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Freezer posted:

Thanks, I think I'll just use the credit card then. Time to stock up on quality Malbec on the cheap!

Always have some cash at hand, though.

Many places don't accept cards because informal economy, tax avoidance, etc.

PS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T-DOs7xP7U

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
:psyduck: I knew things in Argentina were bad, but are we seriously talking "keep the helicopter's engines running just in case" bad?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Pochoclo posted:

Always have some cash at hand, though.

Many places don't accept cards because informal economy, tax avoidance, etc.

PS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T-DOs7xP7U

One, I can't believe Chevy had the balls to run a spot like that in Argentina...and I'm surprised it didn't get dubbed to Portuguese.

Two, Libertango is fuckin' dope.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

SexyBlindfold posted:

:psyduck: I knew things in Argentina were bad, but are we seriously talking "keep the helicopter's engines running just in case" bad?

Not quite yet, but it's close. So far the worst seems to be happening in the provinces, which many here in the capital will safely ignore. Sure, there is pain happening here, what with the cost of living, transportation and everything imported spiking, but the people who 'matter' can still go about their business and blame it all on Cristina and the lefties.

When the squeeze becomes overt and even they start losing convenience/comfort, though? All bets are off. In my experience, argentinians may not be aces at directing their discontent (who is?), but they are not the passive sheep we brazilians have been shaped into. They will hit back.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Dias posted:

One, I can't believe Chevy had the balls to run a spot like that in Argentina...and I'm surprised it didn't get dubbed to Portuguese.

Two, Libertango is fuckin' dope.

Don't be so sure that the original "meritocracy" ad by Chevy wasn't liked by like half the population, the ones that read Clarín and La Nación and voted Macri. Those still fully believe in the Just World Hypothesis and gobble that neoliberal meritocracy bullshit like dulce de leche.

Sephyr posted:

When the squeeze becomes overt and even they start losing convenience/comfort, though? All bets are off. In my experience, argentinians may not be aces at directing their discontent (who is?), but they are not the passive sheep we brazilians have been shaped into. They will hit back.

Lol no, it's not argentinians in general that "hit back" in 2001 - I was there, and the vast majority of people either came out to the streets to ineffectually protest, bang pots, and of course there's the people who sacked supermarkets, either out of necessity or opportunism. It was - surprise, surprise - the peronists, who at the time weren't in power but you know, peronists are ALWAYS in power in Argentina whether they are the government or not, because they're so drat loving entrenched (ask Alfonsín about that). The peronists will hijack any popular movement, it's their thing at this point.

Now, you might rightfully say: "but everyone and their dog is a Peronist, so who actually are you talking about?" and the answer is "whoever wins the power struggle". CFK has very good chances I reckon. Most people I've talked to recently who have voted Macri are basically saying "yeah I hate the yegua but Macri is worse" and there's no other popular candidates I can see coming out of the peronist currently super-fractured wilderness.

If this post makes you confused about Argentinian politics, don't worry, it's a proper clusterfuck.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
My predictions:

Cristina will go to jail.

Macri will limp along on IMF loans, lovely “austerity” measures that do nothing and essentially freezing tax policy as inflation drives everyone into paying income tax.

Kirchnerismo hate will secure him reelection as Peronismo fights over which candidate is more ideologically pure and ends up sending in an unlikable poo poo like Pichetto or Massa.

Meanwhile poverty will increase, maybe we’ll see an emboldening of drug cartels as they enmesh themselves even further into government.

Eventually the country won’t be able to pay off its loans, we’ll default and if Macri’s lucky it’ll happen near elections and he’ll be able to finish his second term and Mariu Vidal will lose by a landslide to Mecha-Duhalde.

Tony Sorete
Jun 19, 2011

Manager de rock
I can see all of that happening.

The current situation reminds me of the 80's and the 90's. There's a flurry of rumors about meetings with different people from the governing coalition, ministers and various consigliere (like publicist Jaime Duran Barba) over the last two days and they're completely redoing the structure of the national executive branch.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I read something about the IMF not being willing to cover the Central Bank auctioning off USDs anymore, which is what they’ve used to keep the peso from devaluating even more.

OTOH preliminary consensus is that there’s no more room for the peso to devaluate but lol this is Argentina.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

My predictions:

Cristina will go to jail.

Macri will limp along on IMF loans, lovely “austerity” measures that do nothing and essentially freezing tax policy as inflation drives everyone into paying income tax.

Kirchnerismo hate will secure him reelection as Peronismo fights over which candidate is more ideologically pure and ends up sending in an unlikable poo poo like Pichetto or Massa.

Meanwhile poverty will increase, maybe we’ll see an emboldening of drug cartels as they enmesh themselves even further into government.

Eventually the country won’t be able to pay off its loans, we’ll default and if Macri’s lucky it’ll happen near elections and he’ll be able to finish his second term and Mariu Vidal will lose by a landslide to Mecha-Duhalde.

Can you have a purity fight over a completely undefined ideology?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Can you have a purity fight over a completely undefined ideology?

How can you NOT? Those are the best shitfights!

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

preliminary consensus is that there’s no more room for the peso to devaluate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvyeysQoYFk

Just gotta bring the Austral back to strip some zeroes away again. Call it Austral Ley or whatever, we had enough variants of Peso.

Or maybe it's the right time for the Patacón

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Sorete
Jun 19, 2011

Manager de rock
Bring back the Argentino, like our greatest caudillo and president Adolfo Rodriguez Saa envisioned:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_argentino#Planned_currency