Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Alaois posted:

fuckin start being quiet then, you never have in your life before

Hey tire-fire!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I honestly don't really mind people being weird with sex stuff on RPs unless they like, want to derail the game (if i'm GM) or do non-con crap

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Exalted 2nd edition in particular in particular was characterized by the linedev's lack of giving a poo poo about much of anything, which led to a lot of badly edited, designed, and written stuff being shoved out the door whether it involved sex or not. The Sidereals book for example, or Scroll of the Monk. Or if you think the Scroll of Swallowed Darkness was clearly not to be taken seriously, despite John Chambers encouraging people to buy more copies of it to convince management to turn it into a for-real longform expansion, you could always bring up the fact that he also greenlit Infernals. My point is that if anybody working on Exalted at that time cared about people getting the impression that it was a perfect venue for injecting their fetishes into the tabletop roleplaying experience it absolutely wasn't the guy in charge of the line, who could very easily have said "no" to something like that.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

Hey tire-fire!

you don't get to play "Its easier for wittle ol me to just keep my mouth shut ;3;" when all you do is post about how much you hate this website and everyone posting on it and trying to start dipshit arguments

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Alaois posted:

you don't get to play "Its easier for wittle ol me to just keep my mouth shut ;3;" when all you do is post about how much you hate this website and everyone posting on it and trying to start dipshit arguments

Quote me, bitch!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alexa, blast my cache!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kwyndig posted:

Alexa, blast my cache!

That sounds dirty.

Also, did they release any supplements for Chuubos?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Covok posted:

That sounds dirty.

Also, did they release any supplements for Chuubos?

The latest was from September: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/219171/Fortitude-the-GlassMakers-Dragon?src=newest

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

So I got this idea for an Isekai RPG system for two skill systems that are called "Insight" and "Professionalism" (that latter one kinda sucks I wanna find a better term) and they are supposed to be excluding ones as the first is how you know the "Meta" on the fantasy setting and the latter how good you were at your field of expertise on the real world and how good you are in one makes you bad at another so if you are a NEET shut-in you have an easier time figuring out how magic works and how monster HP and weaknesses are and even get to guesstimate the plot based on tropes and poo poo and the latter one has you being REAL GOOD at your former profession and being able to maybe bring this kind of unthinkable knowledge to a technologically inferior world but have a harder time figuring out what the hell the fantasy tropes are.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Tropes and Trades?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Plutonis posted:

So I got this idea for an Isekai RPG system for two skill systems that are called "Insight" and "Professionalism" (that latter one kinda sucks I wanna find a better term) and they are supposed to be excluding ones as the first is how you know the "Meta" on the fantasy setting and the latter how good you were at your field of expertise on the real world and how good you are in one makes you bad at another so if you are a NEET shut-in you have an easier time figuring out how magic works and how monster HP and weaknesses are and even get to guesstimate the plot based on tropes and poo poo and the latter one has you being REAL GOOD at your former profession and being able to maybe bring this kind of unthinkable knowledge to a technologically inferior world but have a harder time figuring out what the hell the fantasy tropes are.

This sounds similar to the skill system used in Trollbabe and its offshoots, if you're familiar with that.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Plutonis posted:

So Lasers and Feelings style or are there going to be more concrete layers to them?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Leraika posted:

Tropes and Trades?

Could work and hell it's a good game name as well.

Kai Tave posted:

This sounds similar to the skill system used in Trollbabe and its offshoots, if you're familiar with that.

Am not, sorry.

Mr. Maltose posted:

So Lasers and Feelings style or are there going to be more concrete layers to them?

Simplified, would have them affect other skills when necessary as big modifiers, though.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Plutonis posted:

Could work and hell it's a good game name as well.

Am not, sorry.

Simplified, would have them affect other skills when necessary as big modifiers, though.

Will the plot also get less cliche the more Trades and less Tropes I have

Because if it's gonna be a cliche setting then average gamers can just max out trades easy

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Okay so the PCs are going to have more to them then just the two scores. Sounds p. dope.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Plutonis posted:

how about expertise instead of professionalism

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Call them Colloquialism and Jargon and make your whole game linguistic themed where words make things real so having the words of your trade makes them real.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Literally and figuratively

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The problem with any cool idea for an isekai is that, virtually without exception, the concept would be improved by just making a fantasy world with that conceit and removing the isekai part.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The problem with any cool idea for an isekai is that, virtually without exception, the concept would be improved by just making a fantasy world with that conceit and removing the isekai part.

If real world meta-knowledge is actually going to be important, then I guess it ought to be an Isekai.

Actually Release That Witch is probably one of the only Isekai novels I actually like because the dude is an engineer, he takes a look at magic and realizes it violates thermodynamics, and then proceeds to run with that as fast and far as he can go.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Plutonis posted:

Am not, sorry.

It's kind of similar to what you're describing, every character has a single numerical rating on a scale of 2 to 9. If you want to fight you try to roll under the number, if you want to do magic you try to roll over the number, and if you want to do something involving social interaction you roll on whichever axis is better for you but you also include the number. So if you had a rating of 4, if you wanted to fight someone you'd want to roll 1-3, if you wanted to cast spells you'd want to roll 5-9, and if you wanted to negotiate with someone you'd want to roll a 4-9.

So you could, if you wanted, recontextualize it so one axis was Doing Trope-y Things, another side was Doing Real World Stuff, and then a third axis would be, I dunno, something suitable for the genre that isn't either of those two if you don't want to default to "just charisma checks I guess."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Rick Cook's Wizardry series predates Isekai and the current western explosion of same and may be of interest to you.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Kai Tave posted:

It's kind of similar to what you're describing, every character has a single numerical rating on a scale of 2 to 9. If you want to fight you try to roll under the number, if you want to do magic you try to roll over the number, and if you want to do something involving social interaction you roll on whichever axis is better for you but you also include the number. So if you had a rating of 4, if you wanted to fight someone you'd want to roll 1-3, if you wanted to cast spells you'd want to roll 5-9, and if you wanted to negotiate with someone you'd want to roll a 4-9.

So you could, if you wanted, recontextualize it so one axis was Doing Trope-y Things, another side was Doing Real World Stuff, and then a third axis would be, I dunno, something suitable for the genre that isn't either of those two if you don't want to default to "just charisma checks I guess."

2 to 9? Are you rolling 1d8+1?

Edit: oh, when you said you want to roll 5-9 you probably meant 5-10, so it's a d10?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jimbozig posted:

2 to 9? Are you rolling 1d8+1?

Edit: oh, when you said you want to roll 5-9 you probably meant 5-10, so it's a d10?

Yeah, it's 1d10, I didn't write that example as well as I could have.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Call them Colloquialism and Jargon and make your whole game linguistic themed where words make things real so having the words of your trade makes them real.

Darmoks & Jalads

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Woke and Broke

Third stat is joke and you roll it if something funny happens.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Go one further and have it as commentary on the fiction of the game. Intradiagetic vs Extradiagetic

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Delta Green's the Labyrinth by Delta Green co-creator John Scott Tynes has fully funded and they are adding Stretch Goals. Yaaay :neckbeard:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcdream/delta-green-the-labyrinth/description

Base buy in is $20

What is The Labyrinth?

quote:

Delta Green: The Labyrinth takes Delta Green agents beyond the beltway and deep into the fissures of America in the new millennium. From Silicon Valley startups to industrialist Super-PACs, from Oregon anarchist collectives to alt-right activists, from the depths of Reddit to this morning's livestreams, American life has entered a labyrinth of twisty passages all alike. And while there are many ways in, there is no way out.

The Labyrinth will contain brand-new factions for players to encounter. Some will be sources of friendlies, allies, and aid. When their exposure deepens due to contact with Delta Green agents, however, those people’s lives and realities will corrode. A group that begins as an ally may end as a foe. Others will be enemy cults and monstrous exploiters of reality. Even those that start small may metastasize under investigation, gaining power and influence.

While this is a faction book, the combinations of story arcs for each faction, and the connections between factions, mean that it can also serve as a de facto campaign. For groups with more self-directed players who like to chase down their own clues, The Labyrinth will be a narrative sandbox they can explore in multiple directions at once.

Who is John Scott Tynes?

quote:

John Scott Tynes founded Pagan Publishing and the magazine The Unspeakable Oath in 1990. He first wrote about Delta Green in "Convergence," a groundbreaking scenario that appeared in The Unspeakable Oath issue 7 in 1992. The idea of Delta Green immediately seized the imaginations of gamers around the world. Tynes expanded it with co-creators Dennis Detwiller and Adam Scott Glancy in the sourcebooks Delta Green (1997) and Delta Green: Countdown (1999), both of which won Origins Awards. Tynes' novel Delta Green: The Rules of Engagement also won an Origins Award in 1999.

Tynes continued to advise the Delta Green creative team over the years as Pagan Publishing and Arc Dream Publishing created Delta Green: Eyes Only (2007), Delta Green: Targets of Opportunity (2010), and Delta Green: The Role-Playing Game (2016 to present). Tynes also wrote Arc Dream Publishing's Origins Award-nominated RPG Puppetland, and co-created Atlas Games' RPG Unknown Armies.

Can I get other Delta Green material?

Yes, yes you can.

quote:

Pick from this menu and add the amount you want to your pledge. After the campaign ends, you can specify which items to receive and pay for their shipping and handling. All add-on options are available for immediate delivery. You can find links to detailed descriptions at Delta-Green.com.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Interesting! that makes a good duality for those indeed.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
How much would you as a player react to an in media res opening of an adventure? If you weren't the focal point I mean.

I'm running a one shot, and it starts with all the PCs being encouraged to go off and investigate an evil looking ziggurat.

But I'm thinking that instead of opening with one of the PC's on the run from bounty hunters, corralled and chased into the meeting room with the rest of the PCs.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Are these pregenned characters? If so, "Is being chased by bounty hunters right now" is perfectly valid backstory. Give the chased player a quick heads up beforehand so they're not put too hard on the spot. I'd suggest them actively bursting into the room being the character's entry into the story, but if you do want a bit of a lead-up do it in the format "Why do you <next step toward the room>" rather than "<scenario> OK what do you do (there is one right answer)".

(if they're not pregenned it still works, but the player needs a heads up well beforehand so their backstory dovetails with the conceit)

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jul 11, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm sure I can find an excuse for literally anyone the players end up creating to be chased by bounty hunters, though it can help to plan.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Cassa posted:

How much would you as a player react to an in media res opening of an adventure? If you weren't the focal point I mean.

I'm running a one shot, and it starts with all the PCs being encouraged to go off and investigate an evil looking ziggurat.

But I'm thinking that instead of opening with one of the PC's on the run from bounty hunters, corralled and chased into the meeting room with the rest of the PCs.

just start them at the front door, then do flashbacks to how they got there if they really want to go over how they prepared for it

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
For oneshots starting in media res is great. Don't waste time on setup - you can flashback if required.

Oneshots really need a solid kickoff - they can drag badly if you waste time early.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cassa posted:

This is completely fine but make sure the players aren't the kind of people who are going to refuse to engage with this and that their PCs have a good reason to side with the hunted PC and against the bounty hunters.

This can be as simple as telling your players to come up with a reason why their PCs have known each other for a while.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Fair points all, the players are pretty on board with being a party, regardless of character motivations. Speaking of, the characters are all pre-gens with a bit of backstory, but nothing too long. I don't expect players to have read it, but their criminality is probably going to be obvious.

quote:

Open on Anvas, running down the side streets, cobblestones padding under hoof. Behind them are 3-5 heavily armed mercenaries. Bounty hunters from their cloaks and armament. One stops to fire a crossbow which zings past Anvas’ head, it sets deep in the stone work in front of him.

Anvas can decide what to do, fighting is totally an option, the hunters wish merely to subdue, but there are a lot of them.

Fleeing is encouraged, the path is hard and the alley ways seem blocked. It’s like they’re herding you. Eventually you are forced up against a wall, your hands grasp for some kind of ladder to scrabble up, to keep going. Instead you find a switch, and the wall spins around, depositing you in a meeting room. You are invited to sit down, and you see your contemporaries all around you.

So it's a little rail-roady, but the idea is that wherever Anvas goes, they're going to wind up where I want them for the intro for the doomed mission.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Don't play out the bounty hunter scene since it only has one player involved in it. Just narrate straight to that PC bursting into the building with a crossbow bolt whizzing past their head and immediately finding the secret switch.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 11, 2018

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Lemon-Lime posted:

This can be as simple as telling your players to come up with a reason why their PCs have known each other for a while.

Participation definitely takes the bite out of a railroad, and don't be afraid to expand on this.

Ask each player what their character believes is in the ziggurat that's worth gambling their life for, why they're determined to enter it.

Give them the opportunity to author their own motivation, or it'll default to "because that's whe the module says we go."

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
this just makes me think of that delta green adventure where you're playing the people investigating why a mission went bad while also playing the people on said mission in flashbacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
My group for a CoD Hunter game reacted well to an opener of everyone waking up woozy in a moving van very confused but obviously aware they were in danger. An escape, some fighting, investigation/stealth, more fighting (with explosions this time) and vehicle getaway/chase later, they each got to do a short five minute minute flashback scene leading up to how they all ended up in the opening situation.

They loved it and I am very happy as players will still bring up how fun it was out of the blue.