Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Boy I'm awfully glad we got a straight answer from Democratic leadership on whether or not you could be pro-life and still be a Democrat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Imagine if Lieberman were VP, he'd be out of the Senate. That would have been worth the price of entry.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Concerned Citizen posted:

is there any scenario where court packing doesn't quickly descend into constitutional crisis levels of absurdity? like in order to do it, first you'd have to abolish the legislative filibuster (since the court size is set by law, not just precedent). then you'd probably be declaring nuclear option to remove all rules that allow the minority to obstruct. after that, you are just confirming as many justices as you can - literally hundreds - as there is absolutely no reason to not do that. and as soon as the gop gets a senate majority/wh combo again, they then do the exact same thing back. i don't see how it's a desirable or realistic path.

i mean it'd be funny, like watching your government become a complete trainwreck, but also would not be funny because it'd be hosed up and somehow even more dysfunctional.

Pedantic point: court-packing requires a border majority in addition to the senate/wh.

You gotta change the rules so it becomes unlikely that you'll lose the Senate again. Make DC a state. Hell, make it two or three states. Consider doing the same with PR. Pass a much more aggressive VRA, confident that your judges will back it up. Establish universal benefit programs that leave no doubt in recipients' minds that they are getting poo poo from the federal government. Increase union membership. Gerrymander the gently caress out of everything.

The result is a farce rife with rotten boroughs, but the system we have now is also a farce rife with rotten boroughs.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Theris posted:

Is there any evidence that voters who would be inclined to vote for Manchin/Donnelly/etc but won't if they don't vote to confirm Trump's SC picks actually exist?

guess

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Corky Romanovsky posted:

This is kinda like basing policy on an anecdote. Yeah, acknowledge bad stuff can happen and take reasonable measures against bad stuff happening.

He tried taking reasonable measures against bad stuff happening. The company didn't want to upgrade the plant because that was too expensive and didn't want to shut the plant down because then they'd lose money. Only after ten years of reports of leaks and contamination which were all ignored by the NRC, despite Vermont's delegation trying to get them to act, did the company finally admit that it was going to cost too much to clean up and start winding down the plant.

Can these plants be operated safely? Yes, but the cost to do so is more than the industry wants to bear, so they aren't. Perhaps after the revolution that can change, but right now the options are letting them operate without oversight or imposing effective oversight at which point nobody wants to fund building a compliant plant.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Power production shouldn't be a for profit industry you say?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
nationalize it

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
The government has experience running nuclear reactors, many private-sector nuclear employees were trained by the government in the first place

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/TeenJake_/status/1016840084866453505?s=19

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

He tried taking reasonable measures against bad stuff happening. The company didn't want to upgrade the plant because that was too expensive and didn't want to shut the plant down because then they'd lose money. Only after ten years of reports of leaks and contamination which were all ignored by the NRC, despite Vermont's delegation trying to get them to act, did the company finally admit that it was going to cost too much to clean up and start winding down the plant.

Can these plants be operated safely? Yes, but the cost to do so is more than the industry wants to bear, so they aren't. Perhaps after the revolution that can change, but right now the options are letting them operate without oversight or imposing effective oversight at which point nobody wants to fund building a compliant plant.

I mean, other capitalist countries like France somehow manage to have nuclear power without serious problems, maybe it isn't capitalism but just that US nuclear regulation needs an overhaul?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

regulatory capture is a thing. private nuclear plants are a ticking time bomb

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

nationalize it

That would be an improvement on the current scheme.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

"Many business groups agree" should be the official slogan of the democratic party.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Pedantic point: court-packing requires a border majority in addition to the senate/wh.

You gotta change the rules so it becomes unlikely that you'll lose the Senate again. Make DC a state. Hell, make it two or three states. Consider doing the same with PR. Pass a much more aggressive VRA, confident that your judges will back it up. Establish universal benefit programs that leave no doubt in recipients' minds that they are getting poo poo from the federal government. Increase union membership. Gerrymander the gently caress out of everything.

The result is a farce rife with rotten boroughs, but the system we have now is also a farce rife with rotten boroughs.

well, you should make DC and PR a state because it's the democratic thing to do, and you should establish universal benefit programs because it's the morally right thing to do ... but you do also need to pack the courts because it's the only way to let those things happen in the first place

I mean even if Congress was comprised entirely of demsocs and Bernie passes M4A, that poo poo is gonna be struck down with a 5-4 decision comprised entirely of "lol no u" over and over for a hundred pages

Serf
May 5, 2011

instead of packing the court, maybe we clear the court and staff it according to our liking

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The SCOTUS problem is very simple: When Prez Bernie takes office he should just announce that the court has clearly overstepped its bounds and order the entire federal government to ignore any rulings coming from it until such a time that it's cleaned up its act, and then he should just dare any motherfucker to stop him.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
And if somebody tries to stop him you know who to guillotine.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Just have a cow, man.

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/1016773145209065473

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
in a 5-4 decision.... doing politics has been outlawed!!!!!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
the overall problem with nuclear in the US is that the nuclear industry here ground to a halt fifty years ago

so everywhere you go, it's just ancient decaying plants being run by rent-seeking utility companies seeking to extract maximum value from the plants in the time they have left, without worrying too much about maintenance since they're all beyond their original design lifetimes and license periods anyway. regulatory capture defanged the NRC and other oversight agencies decades ago, and no one cared enough to do anything about it because nuclear is an afterthought in this country

the kicker is that coal plants often have significantly worse problems with toxic leaks, contamination, etc. but no one gives a poo poo about heavy metals in the groundwater or massive waste spills unless they also happen to be radioactive

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Remember when Hillary Clinton said appointing Obama to the supreme court would be a great idea?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
history will be far kinder to the Obama admin than it deserves

https://twitter.com/aaschapiro/status/1017029063628787712?s=21

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

The Nastier Nate posted:

Remember when Hillary Clinton said appointing Obama to the supreme court would be a great idea?

I mean, it would be a great troll.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Joementum posted:

vermont yankee was fine and didn't need to close for safety reasons

nationalizing it is still good though

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Barry Convex posted:

history will be far kinder to the Obama admin than it deserves

https://twitter.com/aaschapiro/status/1017029063628787712?s=21

https://mobile.twitter.com/MJB_SF/status/1017039984056864768

I seem to remember this lady. but she also strikes as generic white lady in the hashtag resistance crowd so I'm not sure.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Main Paineframe posted:

the overall problem with nuclear in the US is that the nuclear industry here ground to a halt fifty years ago

so everywhere you go, it's just ancient decaying plants being run by rent-seeking utility companies seeking to extract maximum value from the plants in the time they have left, without worrying too much about maintenance since they're all beyond their original design lifetimes and license periods anyway. regulatory capture defanged the NRC and other oversight agencies decades ago, and no one cared enough to do anything about it because nuclear is an afterthought in this country

the kicker is that coal plants often have significantly worse problems with toxic leaks, contamination, etc. but no one gives a poo poo about heavy metals in the groundwater or massive waste spills unless they also happen to be radioactive

I would say that the NRC is ossified into only handling plants from the 60s instead of knowing how to do anything new rather than calling it defannged. The safety limits to public health risks from nuclear plants are so small that even when they get violated, it's hard to tell that any people were put at risk.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

obama is an innocent angel who did nothing wrong the centrists continue to insist as he and his pals ride out holocaust 2 on cushy lobbying jobs

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Istvun posted:

I would say that the NRC is ossified into only handling plants from the 60s instead of knowing how to do anything new rather than calling it defannged. The safety limits to public health risks from nuclear plants are so small that even when they get violated, it's hard to tell that any people were put at risk.

unless you do something monumentally stupid like explicitly disable every single failsafe then set things up backwards

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Yinlock posted:

unless you do something monumentally stupid like explicitly disable every single failsafe then set things up backwards

Hey now! It was a test to see if they could use a passive system as a temporary backup.

They could not.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The only problem I see with nationalizing nuclear power is that if it gets exported, it'd run into the same problems as nationalized oil, referring to how certain countries use the threat of cutting it off in order to strongarm during trade disputes, and there could be controversies concerning corruption and political appointees within Venezuela's nationalized oil as this article details. I haven't done much research on how nuclear power would expand, so I don't have anything else to say, though.

https://www.economist.com/special-report/2006/08/10/oils-dark-secret

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Even for governments nuclear is getting pretty non-competitive with solar given the latter's continual price collapse. Plus since the whole global warming thing is fairly time-dependent it sure is nice to be able to put up shitloads of solar panels almost immediately as opposed to waiting for your nuclear plant to pass inspection in like 2035.

I'm not anti-nuclear or anything but the ultimate goon wet dream for whatever reason is to be able to click nuclear plants down on the map like in SimCity 2000, which won't happen for generations even if everything is nationalized.

Also dems are trash

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Istvun posted:

Hey now! It was a test to see if they could use a passive system as a temporary backup.

They could not.

i feel like there was better ways to test that than with an active plant

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cerebral Bore posted:

The SCOTUS problem is very simple: When Prez Bernie takes office he should just announce that the court has clearly overstepped its bounds and order the entire federal government to ignore any rulings coming from it until such a time that it's cleaned up its act, and then he should just dare any motherfucker to stop him.

"The court has made its decision, now let them enforce it" but for non-genocidal reasons

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

galenanorth posted:

The only problem I see with nationalizing nuclear power is that if it gets exported, it'd run into the same problems as nationalized oil, referring to how certain countries use the threat of cutting it off in order to strongarm during trade disputes, and there could be controversies concerning corruption and political appointees within Venezuela's nationalized oil as this article details. I haven't done much research on how nuclear power would expand, so I don't have anything else to say, though.

What, the electricity? that's not something we export much of, because only Canada and Mexico make sense to export it to. Exporting plants or fuel could be a thing I guess, but right now the US is a bit player on that front, so the rest of the world is pretty well equipped to use other sources.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

galenanorth posted:

source u're quotes

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

galenanorth posted:

the economist lol

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

It's this

I'm pro-nuclear but the nuclear plants we have currently in the USA are Fukushima-style pieces of poo poo that were built in the early part of the cold war and are in the tail end of their life cycle

We should be phasing them out gracefully and building new ones using the exact same plans as the ones they're building like crazy in China and India so spare parts and expertise can be shared and we can benefit from economies of scale

But that will never be politically feasible so gently caress it, go hog wild with solar and wind

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/FHQ/status/1016743364308488192

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

tbh if theres one things democrats hate its people walking in and replacing them so this actually makes sense

• Locked thread