Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Looking for a decent budget laptop replacement preferrably with a 10" screen and a touchscreen with some decent precision for some light sketching.

Am I looking at Surfaces almost exclusively? Do I go with a brand new gen model or is it kosher to look at refurbs? Surface Pro vs. Surface Book? I don't fuckin know what I'm doing. Should I just go with one of those convertible laptops instead? I'd like enough juice to be able to open up a Pro Tools session or something with a bunch of audio processing on the go, but I otherwise don't really care about being able to run the latest and greatest games at full speed or anything like that.

barnold fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Okay so I'm not looking to imminently replace my tablet but I still want to ask this.

I have a Kindle Fire HDX and I absolutely love it. It's perfect for my needs which is basically a portable handheld streaming machine/rudimentary web browser. I love the seamless integration with books/audiobooks, etc.

However, the app library is pretty much hot trash. I've heard about and looked a little bit into sideloading, which I might still do, but when I go to make my next tablet purchase, is there anything non-Apple that would fulfill my needs similarly with a better native app library?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Okay so I'm not looking to imminently replace my tablet but I still want to ask this.

I have a Kindle Fire HDX and I absolutely love it. It's perfect for my needs which is basically a portable handheld streaming machine/rudimentary web browser. I love the seamless integration with books/audiobooks, etc.

However, the app library is pretty much hot trash. I've heard about and looked a little bit into sideloading, which I might still do, but when I go to make my next tablet purchase, is there anything non-Apple that would fulfill my needs similarly with a better native app library?

No.

Side-loading is super-easy. It took me about fifteen minutes, including googling the process and reading the steps.

Your alternatives are very old and expensive if you don't want to go Apple.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

No.

Side-loading is super-easy. It took me about fifteen minutes, including googling the process and reading the steps.

Your alternatives are very old and expensive if you don't want to go Apple.

Noted. I'll probably just go ahead and do it, it's more that the very nature of sideloading makes me feel like there's no way it could possibly be as easy or work as smoothly as it seems but maybe I'm too cynical eh? :)

Edit: Do you mind if I PM you some questions about the process at some point? It's not so much the process itself I'm confused on, it's more post-sideload questions I have before I dive in.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 8, 2018

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I recently got a Kindle 10 and sideloaded the play store, I can answer any questions too.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Noted. I'll probably just go ahead and do it, it's more that the very nature of sideloading makes me feel like there's no way it could possibly be as easy or work as smoothly as it seems but maybe I'm too cynical eh? :)

Edit: Do you mind if I PM you some questions about the process at some point? It's not so much the process itself I'm confused on, it's more post-sideload questions I have before I dive in.
You're welcome to PM me, but honestly, I just Googled how to do it and did it in about 15 minutes about a year ago. I'm not a heavy tablet user or anything, so I only used it for a handful of apps. For a "hack," it works surprisingly well.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Well, poo poo. I came in to ask for a recommendation for a large, dedicated Android comic and PDF reader, but it looks like the answer is an iPad.

I've got an 8 inch LG tablet, which I like, but it's just kind of a pain to have to enlarge everything all of the time.

I was wanting something around 12 inches, but really didn't want to pay for an iPad Pro, but it looks like the small Android selection at that size is pretty much garbage.

Is the 2017 iPad good for comics and PDFs (game rule books, for the most part)? I really hate to give Apple any money and dread the thought of having to use iTunes again, but I know the hardware is good, and the price is definitely competitive.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes, it's excellent, surpassed only by 2018 iPads and iPads Pro.

Depending on what you're doing with it, you may not need to use iTunes at all.

But also lol at "I really hate to give Apple any money"

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

But also lol at "I really hate to give Apple any money"
Why? I prefer the Android environment and I'm not a fan of Apple. I don't see what's so laughable about that. For the record, I also hate to give Comcast, my state, and the federal government money as well

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Maybe something like this monstrosity meats your kneads.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

BGrifter posted:

Maybe something like this monstrosity meats your kneads.

Eh, she's not that bad...

Edit: Lol, that thing is over 18". Holding it would be like that boot camp punishment of holding your rifle out at arm's length until they totally gave out.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 11, 2018

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Are we not going to make a joke about meats your kneads?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
op I suggest an iPad

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

berzerkmonkey posted:

Why? I prefer the Android environment and I'm not a fan of Apple. I don't see what's so laughable about that. For the record, I also hate to give Comcast, my state, and the federal government money as well
What are your bitcoin holdings atm

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I never really understood the Android vs apple environment debate. Touch the icon to open things, that's it. I guess learning how to double click the apple button to navigate apps is different but that's like one tiny thing that a 5 year old can pick up in 30 seconds.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Lube banjo posted:

I never really understood the Android vs apple environment debate. Touch the icon to open things, that's it. I guess learning how to double click the apple button to navigate apps is different but that's like one tiny thing that a 5 year old can pick up in 30 seconds.

Those are obviously the only differences

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Lube banjo posted:

Going to guess this isn't the only thing you don't understand. It's about brand integrity, bru.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lube banjo posted:

I'm cool with the fact that an iDevice just works. I really, really hate iTunes though, and I don't like the premium you pay for having an iDevice, the lack of upgradable storage (or the insane Apple markup for a memory upgrade).

I also feel there is a distinct lack of innovation at Apple since Jobs died. He was a piece of poo poo person, but at least he drove the company . For the past few years, "innovation" consists of "bigger!"

And yes, I realize that most Android devices are derivative as well, you can avoid the Apple tax though.

Tldr: it's a personal opinion.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldn't buy an ipad if it were the last tablet on the earth. Giving my money to apple only encourages them and I am not ever going to do that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Let's all just accept each other's brand preferences and work within them.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Does anyone have an opinion on the Huawei MediaPad M5?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It can't play HD video lol

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Is the appletax even real anymore? It's not like samsung phones or dell laptops (the closest competitors imho) are much if any cheaper.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Senor Dog posted:

Is the appletax even real anymore? It's not like samsung phones or dell laptops (the closest competitors imho) are much if any cheaper.

On accessories till the third party ones arrive I suppose.

Apple is probably the cheap option once you factor in the ridiculous resale value 4-5 years down the road. It's crazy how easy it is to resell your old Apple stuff for half of what you paid for it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Samsung's adopted the AppleTax for their high end stuff, but they still offer a mid-range. And I'm pretty sure Dell's still a fair bit cheaper.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
You could always buy cheap garbage from Samsung and Dell.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The Appletax still exists for some of their products, but I don't know how you could say it applies to the base iPad in 2018. There's really no competition for it at this point at $330, everything better is far more expensive and everything else in the same price range is far worse.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Whats the cheapest Windows 10 tablet you can get, at a minimum or 8" but preferably 10"+? I play darts, and scoreboards, essentially big calculators, are stupidly expensive. There's a great free app I use on my Surface but I'd like to just have a dedicated thing I can mount on the wall. As I said, big calculator so performance isn't required in abundance. I have an android app I use too but its just very lacking compared to the wealth of stats tracking offered in the Windows app I use.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's lots of Atom-based tablets on Amazon for around $100 plus or minus $10, which is about as cheap as you'll find. Performance will be garbo, but if all you're doing is running a glorified calculator, they'll probably suffice and not explode.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
You might be able to get some of those old Surface RT units stupid cheap since nobody wants them. Might be a little on the small side though, and you probably should check to make sure your app runs on Windows RT.

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy
I don't really know where to post this so I'll try here.

I am thinking about buying a Fire HD 8 and my stupid rear end missed the Prime Day sale. So I thought I could at least save some money and buy it from Warehouse Deals in "good" condition.

So my question is if someone here has experience with buying a tablet from the Warehouse Deals. I don't mind if the exterior is showing some wear but I am wondering if the display will have small scratches and stuff. I know I can always send it back but maybe someone here can tell me right away to forget about it and pony up the money or if it's worth a try.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm sorry if this is wrong thread for this sort of question, but I couldn't find anything resembling tech support.

A restaurant had to be evicted for not paying rent and left behind a bunch of equipment that I'm trying to get rid of. Among the items is a Samsung SM-T377V tablet that has been modified by Doordash for their own nefarious purposes. I would really like to get rid of all this nonsense and just use it as a regular tablet. But all systems are on lockdown by something called KNOX, and it's not allowing me to do anything, even the hard reset. If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know. Thanks

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I was looking for a tablet for streaming media and reading ebooks and comics/manga. I can sideload Google Play onto a Fire HD 10, right? Is it also possible to wipe the thing and install stock Android on it instead?

Yeah I know, "just get an iPad" but I've already got a lot of stuff tied to my Google account and I don't like Apple products. And I like being able to tinker with gadgets.

e: Actually, I forgot I asked this question in the thread like a year ago. Seems the answer was "yes you can" but has anything changed since 2017?

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What's a good replacement/upgrade for a Shield K1 in the $200 range?

1-Up
Aug 8, 2007

Nitrox posted:

I'm sorry if this is wrong thread for this sort of question, but I couldn't find anything resembling tech support.

A restaurant had to be evicted for not paying rent and left behind a bunch of equipment that I'm trying to get rid of. Among the items is a Samsung SM-T377V tablet that has been modified by Doordash for their own nefarious purposes. I would really like to get rid of all this nonsense and just use it as a regular tablet. But all systems are on lockdown by something called KNOX, and it's not allowing me to do anything, even the hard reset. If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know. Thanks

Ahh good old Knox. That is Samsungs own lockdown/security measure. We send them to authorized workshop for reflashing when customers forget their (Samsung account) password. But the purchase receipt has to match customer details.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

1-Up posted:

Ahh good old Knox. That is Samsungs own lockdown/security measure. We send them to authorized workshop for reflashing when customers forget their (Samsung account) password. But the purchase receipt has to match customer details.

Does it mean I have no way of removing it?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have one at home from a client as well that belonged to their dead sister or something and had no way to get into the account and thus no way to unlock the loving thing. I feel like these things cause more trouble for honest situations than preventing theft.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It wouldn't be very useful if you could remove it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

codo27 posted:

I have one at home from a client as well that belonged to their dead sister or something and had no way to get into the account and thus no way to unlock the loving thing. I feel like these things cause more trouble for honest situations than preventing theft.

I dont think Knox, et al, are designed to prevent device theft per se.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I mean, Apple device theft had a significant drop after they made it so a device can't be used by anyone but the owner. KNOX does similar, as far as I'm aware, so even if data security is the main goal, device theft prevention is a useful side effect.