Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

What game has the worst introduction before finally letting you loose to do whatever you want?

Golden Sun because I can't even make it through it. I don't have the patience for that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

And then of course there's Skyrim's famous horse cart intro, but I've never actually played it myself.

Skyrim, Fallout 3, etc, can all be modded to have alternate starts though. Do them the vanilla way once, then skip!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

suuma posted:

Skyrim, Fallout 3, etc, can all be modded to have alternate starts though. Do them the vanilla way once, then skip!

You'd still be playing Skyrim though, so it's not really worth the effort

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Well actually Skyrim is a good fun time

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

but that IS the game of persona. Reading a bunch of VN stuff in between going to a dungeon every once in a while.

Yeah, I mean more like determining my own schedule than anything. I'm definitely in for the VN stuff, but like in Persona 4 it takes a really long time before you actually have control of your own schedule, and that on-rails time is pretty boring.

It's nothing compared to Final Fantasy XIII, though, which is a game where the battle system doesn't make any sense without a full party with multiple roles each, and it takes at least 20 hours before you're consistently able to have that experience.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I didn't think the Skyrim intro was all that bad.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

It's nothing compared to Final Fantasy XIII, though, which is a game where the battle system doesn't make any sense without a full party with multiple roles each, and it takes at least 20 hours before you're consistently able to have that experience.

It’s a shame too since the combat system is actually really good once you get full control of it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think XIII battle system is fun from the word go tbh, but I've played it a few times and love it, top 3 FF, which is a uncommon opinion.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It takes Cold Steel 1 like 70 hours before it teaches you one of the combat mechanics. Shameful really.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Andrast posted:

It’s a shame too since the combat system is actually really good once you get full control of it

It is! The last couple of optional bosses, where you really need to understand and pay attention to the combat system, are some of the most fun fights in the series. Like the "superboss," Vercingetorix, isn't just an HP wall who has one-hit kills or anything like that. He requires careful consideration of what paradigms you're using and very fast, reactive paradigm switching to defend from his attacks or take advantages of his windows of vulnerability. It's really fun!

In Training posted:

I think XIII battle system is fun from the word go tbh, but I've played it a few times and love it, top 3 FF, which is a uncommon opinion.

Maybe it only really sticks out to me on a replay. Every time I play through again (because I really do like the game, at least its back half), I'm just waiting to get to the part where I can really play. I like the late-game combat so much that that's the part I'm really itching to get to, I guess.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Phantasium posted:

Golden Sun because I can't even make it through it. I don't have the patience for that poo poo.

Actually the entire game is like that.

In Training posted:

Yes but you don't really get full Crystarium access until quite late.

I do agree with your opinion that it's a good game though. You're not alone!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the only good part of 13 is figuring out the puzzles with limited crystarium imo

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

corn in the bible posted:

the only good part of 13 is figuring out the puzzles with limited crystarium imo

The music is very good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

What game has the worst introduction before finally letting you loose to do whatever you want?

I wanna say FF13 but I feel like that's too easy of an answer and that there are bound to be other options that are worse

Xenoblade 2 takes like 15 hrs

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

How is Xenoblade 2? (I assume you don't mean X?)

Xenoblade Chronicles is one of my all time favorite games ever.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Spiritual successor to the Godzilla games https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfNKznj6iYI

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't mind the two party member parts of FF13 that much, though they do drag on a bit, but the opening that is like an hour at least of fighting through a dungeon where the fights give nothing meaningful and you have basically zero options can't really be defended.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mak0rz posted:

The battle system, after the 15 hour tutorial is good. The story, system performance, and characters are imo terrible

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Mak0rz posted:

Story, Character designs, and voice acting are a fair bit worse than XC1. But the combat is actually good and fun unlike XC1 which really helps carry the game a lot. The area designs are also really good in general, and the OST is actually better and longer than XC1's as well (IMO anyway).

If you can look at XC2's character designs and know that it's essentially a clunky shonen anime story and be alright with that, you'll probably dig it.

FWIW I like it way better than XC1 overall, but I found the characters pretty likable and story was fun and interesting if extremely hammy and told in the most clumsy way possible.

It also doesn't take nearly 15 hours for poo poo to open up if you just stick to the main quest until the end of Chapter 2. At that point you've got almost everything important available to you.

Also if you're on the fence, you might wait and see how Torna The Golden Country pans out first. It's a stand alone prequel coming out in September that's supposed to be almost a full new game. Has a largely different cast, remixed combat system, and maaaaybe no gatcha mechanics at all.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 11, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

FF13 is a really beautiful-looking game with an interesting world, good combat and music held together by an utter nonsense story with maybe the most dislikeable main party of any FF. It's not terrible, just maddeningly uneven.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've liked my time with XB2, but it has a lot of inexplicable clunk and poorly thought out mechanics that are harder to avoid than those of the first. It's apparently been partly ironed out with patches, but I wouldn't recommend it if you mainly liked XB1 for being a forward thinking breath of fresh air like a lot of people did rather than just liking its specific style of gameplay.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
KCB and I are gonna go to Lancaster, PA this weekend. Probably. It's gonna be our biggest road trip ever, only 3 and a half hours to get there but still.

Gonna be heading to this thing she and I have been wanting to go to for years and she feels comfortable enough financially to be able to afford this (this was one of the big expenditures I was referring to back when she was set on having the 4k+ laser eye surgery this Friday before finding out the credit card would've hosed her over)

http://www.parenfaire.com/bluesbrews.html

Basically a blues festival (eh, I'm not really up on any blues stuff, the extent of my blues knowledge comes from blues brothers so basically I don't know poo poo), all you can eat fresh maryland blue crabs and peel & eat shrimp and pulled pork and chicken tenders and hush puppies and and and etc etc etc as well as all you can drink booze from their local breweries. We're hoping it'll be fun. She's excited because she loves crab and she'll also be happy to be in lancaster again because this festival is being hosted at the same location as the ren faire she used to attend.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't know much from final fantasies after 6 except for tactics, but i've always been under the impression that 13 was kind of like final fantasy mass effect for some reason.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

i don't know much from final fantasies after 6 except for tactics, but i was always under the impression that 13 was kind of like final fantasy mass effect for some reason.

The only thing FF13 has in common with Mass Effect is that [RIGHT HOOK] is the universal dispute settler.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I played FFXIII when it came out and I was gaga for FF and I couldn't play it more than a few hours

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

The only thing FF13 has in common with Mass Effect is that [RIGHT HOOK] is the universal dispute settler.

well, and also the Mass Effect armor DLC for FFXIII-2

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

i don't know much from final fantasies after 6 except for tactics, but i've always been under the impression that 13 was kind of like final fantasy mass effect for some reason.

FF13 is good actually.

Also I like the cast of 13. They generally have good interactions and relationship dynamics, and everybody likes Sazh. The weakest one is Lightning, who has potentially interesting places they could have gone with her that were never developed, and she's hamstrung by being the one the nonsense larger story is told through.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

im supremely looking forward to the xbc2 dlc.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

In Training posted:

im supremely looking forward to the xbc2 dlc.

Same. The new combat mechanics look like a massive improvement from the base game. Hopefully it's as big as they're claiming it's going to be (seems pretty reasonable as they're remixing a bunch of areas from the base game).

Story is gonna be hella :smith: though.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, gently caress. I’ve gotten obsessed with Rimworld these past few days, I can’t stop thinking about what I’m going to expand next on my colony or what ridiculous thing I should do next. I may just stick with it for a while, I feel like I won’t get sick of it for a long time.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hmm. I'll have to think about it. Sucks that the plot is lovely. The first game was the first JRPG I've played in years with a story that I found actually engaging.

If Switch games weren't eighty dollars I'd probably be less hesitant.

Motto posted:

I wouldn't recommend it if you mainly liked XB1 for being a forward thinking breath of fresh air like a lot of people did rather than just liking its specific style of gameplay.

I loved it for that reason but I also actually enjoyed everything else in XBC1 too. There's literally nothing I can think of that I dislike about it except for the quest log interface.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Same. The new combat mechanics look like a massive improvement from the base game. Hopefully it's as big as they're claiming it's going to be (seems pretty reasonable as they're remixing a bunch of areas from the base game).

Story is gonna be hella :smith: though.

I haven't bought it yet because id like to see how substantial it is for 30 bucks, considering that's half the price of the base game which was already massive. But I trust those crazy bastards to make like. A 35 hour dlc for the hell of it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Mak0rz posted:

Hmm. I'll have to think about it. Sucks that the plot is lovely. The first game was the first JRPG I've played in years with a story that I found actually engaging.

I mean I enjoyed the story but it is absolutely a huge mess and 100% ham from start to finish, just depends on what you find entertaining really. There's a lot of good things going on in it but they're like, told out of order or in an incredibly janky way or in ways that don't make sense until 80 hours later, or have serious scenes told while the camera is firmly fixed on a girls rear end.

Not sure what country you are in but Switch stuff pretty routinely is 25% off from various sites like Google Express or Ebay (it's $41 USD from Google Express right now if you haven't used it before). Or used for like $40 pretty routinely as well.

In Training posted:

I haven't bought it yet because id like to see how substantial it is for 30 bucks, considering that's half the price of the base game which was already massive. But I trust those crazy bastards to make like. A 35 hour dlc for the hell of it.

Yeah I'm curious how large it will actually be. They claim it's "almost as big as a full game" for whatever that's worth. But considering they've got like, all of Gormott and at least one other returning Titan, plus one massive new one at the minimum, and they're all full of sidequests as usual, it's probably going to be at least decently meaty. Tons of new music too, which probably explains why it took so long for the original OST to release.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Imo the xenoblade series from best to worst is X -> 2 -> 1. They're all pretty good but 1 bleeds its strong start and initial good will so fast and never recovers.

X has a busted story and some weird design but I actually felt inclined to finish it, so

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Relax Or DIE posted:

1 bleeds its strong start and initial good will so fast and never recovers.

What do you mean

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I got the progen Mega Man X clone 20XX cause Tim Rogers was raving about it. It's not something I'd ever get normally but I'm glad I did, it's way more fun than it looks.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Xenoblade 2 story ends up batshit insane like all the other Xeno games even if it starts as an unassuming shonen adventure thing. Some of the scene to scene character writing is bad but I really enjoyed the overall ride.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Cowcaster posted:

curse of the moon was very good i'll happily agree to that

The 8-bit demake incentive thing? Ehhhhhhhh... It wasn't terrible, but if the regular Bloodstained is bog-standard mediocre modern style Castlevania, then Curse of the Moon is bog-standard mediocre classic Castlevania.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

sure, sure, but i consider that: those are fewer and farther between these days, it retails for like $10 on steam, and was developed as a side bonus kickstarter stretch goal arriving nearly out of the blue with no fanfare, all mitigating factors that the full release bloodstained doesn't have in its favor

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

FF13 is a really beautiful-looking game with an interesting world, good combat and music held together by an utter nonsense story with maybe the most dislikeable main party of any FF. It's not terrible, just maddeningly uneven.

Lightning rules and there's an adorable lesbian couple, so

• Locked thread