Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Toe Rag posted:

up the punx

Duuude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

You had me at Pea Hix

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Hey y'all thanks to this thread I subscribed to Vinyl Me Please for Mm..Food last month and decided to keep the subscription going. Here's month 2:

Honestly though, I think I might switch to their "Classics" track from Rap/Hip Hop. Lot of random, obscure, awesome sounding 70s poo poo coming out of there.

In non-VMP news I also got this, which has been on my want list for about five years now:

If you like experimental instrumental hip hop with Brazilian beats, then this is the album for you.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Ballz posted:

Hey y'all thanks to this thread I subscribed to Vinyl Me Please for Mm..Food last month and decided to keep the subscription going. Here's month 2:

Honestly though, I think I might switch to their "Classics" track from Rap/Hip Hop. Lot of random, obscure, awesome sounding 70s poo poo coming out of there.

Nice dude. I got Mm..Food last month and am currently waiting on the “Soul Makossa” album from this months Classics. Will most likely be going back and forth between the Hip-Hop and Classics tracks.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Monthly for Vinyl Me Please is $42 (£32-ish) - they don't mention any shipping costs, I'm right at the button to order for just a month and see what it is like. Surely they have to gently caress me over on shipping costs, right?!

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
Shipping should be included in the subscription if I remember rightly, that's why the international subscription costs more.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah isn’t it like $35 for a month in the US.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Oh yeah, looking at it from the UK, might pull the trigger!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Don’t know if it’s only for existing members, but supposedly international shipping for VMP is free for this month.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Cross-post from the hip-hop thread but I figured some people here would be interested. I recently got a huge collection of funk/soul 45's and I thought that it would be fun to do some research as I catalog them to determine if they were sampled in any hip-hop records. I wanted to share some of them with you all as I go through them and hopefully it is interesting. I was thinking of starting with some of the more prolific samples but hopefully throw some more obscure stuff in there as well.

Al Green - I'm Glad You're Mine

Al Green was a singer, songwriter, and producer who is widely considered one of the most influential and gifted soul artists of all time. He had countless hits over his long career, which dates back to the late 60's.

The song I'm Glad You're Mine has been sampled over 100 times by a wide range of artists. It was first sampled by MC Lyte in 1988 for her song Paper Thin. MC Lyte was the first solo female rapper to release a full-length rap album. Eric B. & Rakim flipped it in 1990 for the song Mahogany and Notorious BIG used it on both I Got a Story to Tell and What's Beef?. The part that everyone samples is the intro drum break and it is really interesting to see how one little break helped create a catalog of music.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 12, 2018

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Went to Josey Records in Kansas City. One of the bigger record stores I’ve been in.

They had so much to choose from but unfortunately I still didn’t find the Manhattans record I’m trying to hunt down. This was my haul though:

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
"Spirit Phone" by Lemon Demon has a vinyl pre-order up.

https://needlejuicerecords.com/

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

boop the snoot posted:

Went to Josey Records in Kansas City. One of the bigger record stores I’ve been in.

They had so much to choose from but unfortunately I still didn’t find the Manhattans record I’m trying to hunt down. This was my haul though:

If you're still in KC you should check out Mills Record Company. Pretty great shop.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Barry posted:

If you're still in KC you should check out Mills Record Company. Pretty great shop.

I’m here until next Friday so I definitely have time to do that. Thanks for the tip!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Also random fact but the six records I got last night put me at an even 100 in my collection. Small compared to many of you I’m sure but still a pretty sweet milestone to hit.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

boop the snoot posted:

Also random fact but the six records I got last night put me at an even 100 in my collection. Small compared to many of you I’m sure but still a pretty sweet milestone to hit.

Don't count, just keep buying them until you run out of space and then money and then friends and your life is a smoldering ruin.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

Quick, put them into discogs before you end up with way too many to enter all at once.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

wa27 posted:

Quick, put them into discogs before you end up with way too many to enter all at once.

This is where I am at and it's like looking up a flight of 400 stairs when you just ran 10 miles.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

MrSargent posted:

This is where I am at and it's like looking up a flight of 400 stairs when you just ran 10 miles.

I finally did it three years ago and then never updated it after so now I'm like 100+ behind and it's never gonna happen.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

angrygodofjebus posted:

I finally did it three years ago and then never updated it after so now I'm like 100+ behind and it's never gonna happen.

I have about 1000x 45’s to catalog. Never going to happen. Although I decided that I am going to start listing some on discogs since I have a bunch of duplicates of popular soul/funk so maybe I’ll slowly chip away.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Any fans of Bomb the Music Industry? Vacation was reissued :dance: http://reallyrecords.bigcartel.com/product/bomb-the-music-industry-vacation-gatefold-lp

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Nice!

Not gonna lie, my Jeff Rosenstock flag is probably my favorite posession at the moment:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

Nice!

Not gonna lie, my Jeff Rosenstock flag is probably my favorite posession at the moment:

Love it! Wish I could still get one.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

What up my glip glops

https://twitter.com/ryaneldermusic/status/1017447469880311813?s=21

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Let me know if these are going to clog up the thread, but I figured it was interesting to some people.

Betty Wright - Clean Up Woman

As soon as I heard this song, I knew it had to have been sampled but didn't know where I had heard it. Whosampled.com is really an awesome resource for this kind of stuff.

Betty Wright is a Soul / R&B singer and songwriter who rose to fame in the 1970's. Clean Up Woman was one of her biggest hits and has been sampled nearly 40 times. In total, her compositions have been sampled nearly 150 times. Outside of Hip-Hop, she is probably most recognized as the vocal sample in Avicii's song My Feelings For You which came from her 1979 song, All This Love That I'm Giving.

The first hip-hop song that sampled Clean Up Woman was Wait Stop Start The Clock by Sha-Rock in 1987. Sha-Rock is considered the first female emcee to be recorded "on wax" and the first to appear on television. Other songs that have sampled this record include Dreamin' by G.Love & The Special Sauce, Favorite Song by Chance The Rapper feat. Childish Gambino, Real Love (Remix) by Mary J. Blige feat. Notorious BIG, and This is How We Do It (Puff Daddy Remix) by Montell Jordan.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

If this was being released by Mondo it would cost double that.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

MrSargent posted:

Let me know if these are going to clog up the thread, but I figured it was interesting to some people.

Nah, these are neat! :justpost:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

If this was being released by Mondo it would cost double that.

No poo poo. I want that Luke Cage Season 2 but $40? Nah

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

sporklift posted:

No poo poo. I want that Luke Cage Season 2 but $40? Nah

They’ll end up in New Used Arrival bins later this year at $20 a pop.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Never buying Mondo again tbh. Their artworks are good, but the records themselves just aren't worth that price. They're more of a packaging company.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I still wish I got that Katamari soundtrack.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Ballz posted:

I still wish I got that Katamari soundtrack.

It is pretty sweet on vinyl, tho I got the discs out of those cheap sleeves they came in asap. they were awful.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
This is what I’ve gotten in KC. Still here for another week but unless I run up on a few specific things i’m looking for I think I’m done for this trip

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

boop the snoot posted:

This is what I’ve gotten in KC. Still here for another week but unless I run up on a few specific things i’m looking for I think I’m done for this trip

Excellent haul dude, loving the Marvin Gaye and Prince! I’m up in Lake Tahoe, CA this weekend and unfortunately it appears that the only “record store” around is on the opposite side of the lake. Might try and hit one on the way home tomorrow.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Picked up some records at the thrift store today for 25c each

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The 5th Dimension album is fun.

Surfin' Safari is essentially something to frame and put on your wall. Beyond the title track and 409, it's pretty rough. That said, it was their debut album and only cost you a quarter.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Got back from a trip today and I had this month's VMP waiting for me. I decided to switch from the hip-hop track to the classics in order to get the Soul Makossa album by Lafayette Afro-Rock Band. This album is contains the song Hihache, which is legendary in the hip-hop world and has been sampled in 227 songs according to whosampled.com. The drum break in the song has been sampled by many hip-hop legends including LL Cool J, Biz Markie, Ice Cube, Public Enemy, De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, and Eric B & Rakim.

Album is really good so far. I am definitely going to try my hand at flipping the sample on Hihache just to see if I can do anything interesting with it (doubtful).

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I almost changed tracks to pick up Soul Makoussa, but I went with my original plan of getting Electric Circus as a swap instead.

Having said that, I already ordered Lafayette Afro Rock Band’s follow up album, Malik, for next month’s VMP shipment. I do plan to get Soul Makossa when they put it in the shop or make it available as a swap option some time down the road.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Got my preordered John Maus reissues today and it turns out they're the same coloured vinyl as they were in the super limited 350-bucks-on-discogs box set, that was a nice surprise. And the discogs price is plummeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Got my preordered John Maus reissues today and it turns out they're the same coloured vinyl as they were in the super limited 350-bucks-on-discogs box set, that was a nice surprise. And the discogs price is plummeting.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I wanted to buy some of those albums and then I saw what people were selling them for and I was like "Ha, NOPE!".