Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

You don't need to like Baron-Cohen's style or humor to appreciate poo poo like loving with Sarah Palin and getting Dick Cheney to sign a "commemorative waterboarding kit".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Nice.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

He posed as a disabled Iraq vet to get that interview so that might earn him some flak. I on the other hand am all for it.

I used to think SBC would have to move onto the next phase of his career because nobody would be stupid enough to fall for his ambushes ever again. How wrong I was.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Dick Cheney has fallen for him what...four times now?

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Dennis Pennis was getting away with it for years, hitting the same red carpets over and over.

Still, it's not quite the same, surely these people have staffers and assistants to check this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v654Jh5Z9uI

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Dick Cheney has fallen for him what...four times now?

I think Dick Cheney just doesn't care.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Cohen is a bad person.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
One theory as to why we latch onto stories like the Thai cave rescue to the exclusion of other stories: there’s no villain. Only heroes and maybe some dumb people on sidelines.

That’s less taxing and argumentative than discussing separated children or a civil war or climate change or whatever.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
THANKSL YOD THOSE CHILDREN ARE SAFE

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming of separating children from their families and bombing people indiscriminately

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
CNN has a piece about Congress signing a resolution like 97-2 reaffirming commitment to NATO. Nice little poke in Hair Furor's eye but also sadly necessary. We're going to have to do an apology tour of epic proportions on the world stage if we ever get our poo poo straight as a nation.

Or Democrats can keep loving the milquetoast centrism approach chicken all the way to the current Trump brand gold-plated Zyklon B shower heads conclusion. Either or I guess.

Edit: Also round two of Diaper Donnie's trade war announced with more tariffs. I'd say it's amazing they're still letting him get away with the "national security" excuse for tariffs when it's dumb poo poo like washing machines and the nation is pretty insecure when the economy collapses but :lol: the GOP is a cult of personality and he's gonna demagogue his way through the rest of his term.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 11, 2018

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

bird food bathtub posted:

CNN has a piece about Congress signing a resolution like 97-2 reaffirming commitment to NATO. Nice little poke in Hair Furor's eye but also sadly necessary. We're going to have to do an apology tour of epic proportions on the world stage if we ever get our poo poo straight as a nation.

Or Democrats can keep loving the milquetoast centrism approach chicken all the way to the current Trump brand gold-plated Zyklon B shower heads conclusion. Either or I guess.

It was a non-binding resolution so it's all for show.

Call me when they actually censure him for this poo poo.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Who was a nay on that vote? Rohrabacher?

Edit: They should introduce a vote to censure near the fall. Could make lots of attack ads for critters that refuse to sign on.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 11, 2018

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Casimir Radon posted:

Who was a nay on that vote? Rohrabacher?

Edit: They should introduce a vote to censure near the fall. Could make lots of attack ads for critters that refuse to sign on.

Senate vote, so Rohrabacher wasn't voting on this. Paul and Lee were the two no votes.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Smash the system currently in place, then go on a worldwide apology tour. One brave soul will regrettably have to give oral to Merkel.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

mlmp08 posted:

One theory as to why we latch onto stories like the Thai cave rescue to the exclusion of other stories: there’s no villain. Only heroes and maybe some dumb people on sidelines.

That’s less taxing and argumentative than discussing separated children or a civil war or climate change or whatever.

I'm pretty sure that the alt-right has villains (it's us), and if not I'm pretty sure most/all posters here see them as villains.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

EBB posted:

Smash the system currently in place, then go on a worldwide apology tour. One brave soul will regrettably have to give oral to Merkel.

Is there a place to sign up for that?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bird food bathtub posted:

Edit: Also round two of Diaper Donnie's trade war announced with more tariffs. I'd say it's amazing they're still letting him get away with the "national security" excuse for tariffs when it's dumb poo poo like washing machines and the nation is pretty insecure when the economy collapses but :lol: the GOP is a cult of personality and he's gonna demagogue his way through the rest of his term.

This is one of those cases where the Senate is a good idea. A lot more than 2% of Americans probably agree with Trump about NATO because they are idiots who do not understand how the world works.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Is there a place to sign up for that?

Got a thing for old powerful ladies? That’s cool.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Senate vote, so Rohrabacher wasn't voting on this. Paul and Lee were the two no votes.
I realized that after I posted. If he shoots his mouth off any more on this trip they should just push for a censure and rip apart anyone who refuses to go along with it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Dance Officer posted:

I'm pretty sure that the alt-right has villains (it's us), and if not I'm pretty sure most/all posters here see them as villains.

What are you talking about? The alt-right didn’t throw Thai kids in a cave.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Stultus Maximus posted:

This is one of those cases where the Senate is a good idea. A lot more than 2% of Americans probably agree with Trump about NATO because they are idiots who do not understand how the world works.

Sure, good in theory. In practice it's, uhh, having some issues.

They basically wagged their finger sternly at Trump and then went into the other room and very deliberately ignored exactly what he's doing. Much like having ceeded control of this tariffs thing to Trump, over the decades they've signed over their powers and responsibilities as a check and/or balance. Now we have a completely unhinged demagogue that has turned the majority political party into a cult of personality and de-fanged Congress' ability to resist him lest the frothing racist cultists crucify them for wrong-think.

He just loving declared that Germany is a Russian puppet-state and our real enemy by selling out to the Russians right before he's going to slob away on Putin's knob and declare Russia our bestest friend in the world and that dumb resolution will be the sum total of push back on this incoherent bullshit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
:tinfoil: Time : What if NATO defense expenditure increasing is part of Russia's plan to bankrupt the EU? That's part of why the Soviet Union collapsed.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

As Nero Danced posted:

That's the actually next on my list now that I've watched Threads, thanks for the link. From what I've heard it's even heavier.

It's as close to a nuclear war simulation as you can get. They pulled all of it's info from public sources, and it was so hosed up the BBC banned it until 1996.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BigDave posted:

It's as close to a nuclear war simulation as you can get. They pulled all of it's info from public sources, and it was so hosed up the BBC banned it until 1996.

As Nero Danced posted:

That's the actually next on my list now that I've watched Threads, thanks for the link. From what I've heard it's even heavier.

It was really depressing, so true to life.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

CommieGIR posted:

:tinfoil: Time : What if NATO defense expenditure increasing is part of Russia's plan to bankrupt the EU? That's part of why the Soviet Union collapsed.

Nah, I think you could argue that the Soviet Union was going to collapse regardless of how much they spent on their military in the 80's. It just accelerated that collapse, it didn't initiate it. The EU will be fine and if it collapses, increased military spending won't be the likely culprit.

I'm too lazy to look now but IIRC there were some historians arguing that Gorbachev instituting Glasnost and Perestroika because of how stagnant things had become not because military spending was crushing everything else.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Handsome Ralph posted:

Nah, I think you could argue that the Soviet Union was going to collapse regardless of how much they spent on their military in the 80's. It just accelerated that collapse, it didn't initiate it. The EU will be fine and if it collapses, increased military spending won't be the likely culprit.

I'm too lazy to look now but IIRC there were some historians arguing that Gorbachev instituting Glasnost and Perestroika because of how stagnant things had become not because military spending was crushing everything else.

I said 'Part of why', it was never the sole reason, but it certainly helped:

https://nintil.com/2016/05/31/the-soviet-union-military-spending/

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CommieGIR posted:

https://twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/1017073621678854147?s=19

:downs:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

CommieGIR posted:

I said 'Part of why', it was never the sole reason, but it certainly helped:

https://nintil.com/2016/05/31/the-soviet-union-military-spending/

Ah my bad, my brain skipped past the "part of why" part. Mostly because I've run into people who argue that military spending was the sole reason behind the collapse thanks to Ronnie Raygun and nothing else.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
By militarizing the nato countries to a greater extent, Russia will have justification to push further into Ukraine/elsewhere to defend itself from NATO hostilities.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Handsome Ralph posted:

Ah my bad, my brain skipped past the "part of why" part. Mostly because I've run into people who argue that military spending was the sole reason behind the collapse thanks to Ronnie Raygun and nothing else.

Oh no, there was a closet full of reasons for the collapse, agreed. Spending, not just military, was one of many.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Well that's what my JROTC instructor taught us. Only for me to later realize he was a dime a dozen loudmouth retired SNCO who thought he knew the whole score but really didn't.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

By militarizing the nato countries to a greater extent, Russia will have justification to push further into Ukraine/elsewhere to defend itself from NATO hostilities.

Oh god...

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
They were doing what now?

https://twitter.com/southerncenter/status/1017067637187203072?s=21

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Alabama law stated that Sheriffs were personally liable for prisoner meals to ensure that they were actually fed. Because of this, money for the prisoner's food went into a personal account in the acting sheriff's name. This was typically used to, you know, feed people. One particularly enterprising sheriff (that inherited an account deeply in the negative from his predecessor iirc) found the best way to cut costs down to the bare minimum and legally pocketed over a million dollars during his tenure.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Stuff like that is always a mystery on how in lasted this long.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mr. Nice! posted:

Because of course Russia would never dream of such a thing otherwise...

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Stuff like that is always a mystery on how in lasted this long.
Alabama.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Lol 4% on military. Does trump think every country has a hundred bases setup around the world and we all need stealth fighters?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Hey Paul. Paulie.

Paul.

Paul.

You're in jail.

THEY LITERALLY RECORD EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOUR CALLS YOU DUMB IDIOT HOW loving STUPID ARE YOU

https://twitter.com/johnson_carrie/status/1017091415204159491?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
getting the rest of the West involved in nebulous forever wars would be an amazing thing for Russia

• Locked thread