Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Yeah I want the same eventually - just leave them out at night and sleep in the bed if they want. Last night (night 3 ) was a little better than before. I think I'll just keep it in the bedroom and see if I can start getting her to take some food in a kong to get her more settled with the crate. I tried the kong once with peanut butter and she was super not interested (what dog doesn't like peanut butter??) but its cool she likes every other food item shes seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Is it true that some dogs just shed more than others?

This is my dog Kanga. That's a pic from when she was younger just to show you her coat. She is 1 year old now, and unanimously looks and acts just like a Australian Cattle Dog. No real way to tell though, as she was a rescue.

She is shedding a fkn lot! It's summer here in Texas, so it is very hot out. She stays indoors/outdoors, but most of her time is spent outside in the shade.
Everytime she gets pets now, lots of her hair falls out. Not in clumps, not at all. Just dog shedding hair normally it looks like, but it's all the time! Every single instance of me petting her results in hair just flying out everywhere!

She looks and acts completely normal and healthy other than this. Could it be that her coat is just one that's prone to shedding lots? Or is this a health issue to look into?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yes, some dogs absolutely do shed more than other dogs. Source: I have a dog that sheds all the goddamn time, it looks like a blizzard when I pet him. He's fine, your dog looks lovely, don't worry about it and get used to sweeping up fur.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yes, some dogs absolutely do shed more than other dogs. Source: I have a dog that sheds all the goddamn time, it looks like a blizzard when I pet him. He's fine, your dog looks lovely, don't worry about it and get used to sweeping up fur.

Seconding this! My pupper is a GSD/Husky mix (I think) and he sheds so freaking much that there are little clouds of fur and we finally got a brush that is a match for his fur type, and ye-ow, the furballs. It's mostly been worse during this transition into summer, though, and I bet it'll even out before providing more fur for winter.

It's also true for cats - I used to have a short-hair and a long-hair and they both were little fur explosions, and weirdly enough the short-hair actually produced more fur than the long-hair.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

A Roomba has been a major boon for keeping the bagel's hair in check for us.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I got a dyson animal 2 with my 2nd hound and I realized that my previous place's carpets never really got clean with a dirt devil.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah I bought a roomba shortly after getting our dog and it's been a god send, I let that little guy clean half our apartment one day and half the other, we do regular vacuuming once every 2 weeks or so. We also bathe the dog once a week with a good brushing after and generally try to brush him another day of the week as well.

My fiancee is allergic to dogs which is why we're pretty on-top of keeping dander/hair to a minimum.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Mr. Pool posted:

Yeah I want the same eventually - just leave them out at night and sleep in the bed if they want. Last night (night 3 ) was a little better than before. I think I'll just keep it in the bedroom and see if I can start getting her to take some food in a kong to get her more settled with the crate. I tried the kong once with peanut butter and she was super not interested (what dog doesn't like peanut butter??) but its cool she likes every other food item shes seen.

I had my crate in the living room, so my mutt could be in the room I was in most often. She'd get raw hide and bones in her crate, only in her crate (now only on her blanket). This really helped her learn that it was a good place, not a punishment. She's since proven that she can be trusted to free roam during work and night. Though that even started as a few hours while I was out, then half a work day, before all day free roam. I also setup a camera to watch and get an idea of what she'd do by herself, which was mainly sleep or toys.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
I hope crossposting this question is okay:

Background:
Friend A is lucky enough to have the most beautiful, all-white, 3 year old purebred Husky. He is a Very Good Boy. My friend's living situation got messed up and he felt he had to sign a lease immediately, so he signed on with someone he knew, but who explicitly doesn't want dogs. I don't know why he didn't just try a craigslist random, or try to get a small studio....yeah. Friend B is now long-term fostering the dog for about 6 months. Friend A has visited the dog twice now, once at his new home and once at B's workplace, which is the college we all attend. Both times, the dog was in extreme emotional distress afterwards. He kept barking to go outside to look for A (which is extremely atypical, he usually doesn't make a peep), he moped around, stared at the door, etc.

Question:
Would it be in the dog's best interest for A to visit him less? Or to keep up with frequent visits? The dog does have some separation anxiety to begin with

My own $0.02:
Friend A should just move in with Friend B, but they only recently met (I was the one who introduced them and facilitated this), and Friend B is a single mother to a 7 year old girl, so that's a consideration

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My dogs mope around if I leave their sight aside from work. Having visits be more routine and less erratic may help.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah, he should be over there like every day imo, I would be if that was my dog.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/appleciderwitch/status/1016678636563369984

This also applies to dogs, and in my case it's even worse because Apollo loves to stand on me while he wags his tail and it's like, pal, five more minutes?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/appleciderwitch/status/1016678636563369984

This also applies to dogs, and in my case it's even worse because Apollo loves to stand on me while he wags his tail and it's like, pal, five more minutes?

My dog does very obnoxious stretching and yawning if I stay in bed longer than he would like. It’s very passive aggressive.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Lovelyn posted:

I hope crossposting this question is okay:

Background:
Friend A is lucky enough to have the most beautiful, all-white, 3 year old purebred Husky. He is a Very Good Boy. My friend's living situation got messed up and he felt he had to sign a lease immediately, so he signed on with someone he knew, but who explicitly doesn't want dogs. I don't know why he didn't just try a craigslist random, or try to get a small studio....yeah. Friend B is now long-term fostering the dog for about 6 months. Friend A has visited the dog twice now, once at his new home and once at B's workplace, which is the college we all attend. Both times, the dog was in extreme emotional distress afterwards. He kept barking to go outside to look for A (which is extremely atypical, he usually doesn't make a peep), he moped around, stared at the door, etc.

Question:
Would it be in the dog's best interest for A to visit him less? Or to keep up with frequent visits? The dog does have some separation anxiety to begin with

My own $0.02:
Friend A should just move in with Friend B, but they only recently met (I was the one who introduced them and facilitated this), and Friend B is a single mother to a 7 year old girl, so that's a consideration

Is there a distance issue or something? Why was there months between visits?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I don't really get sleeping with your pets. My dog isn't allowed upstairs, where the bedrooms are. Sometimes I'll come downstairs and he'll be hanging out looking out the front window, or waiting by the back door, but he's not gonna wake me up prematurely, and my bed isn't full of fur, and I don't have to worry about how well he sleeps when he has to stay elsewhere while I'm traveling.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I don't really get sleeping with your pets. My dog isn't allowed upstairs, where the bedrooms are. Sometimes I'll come downstairs and he'll be hanging out looking out the front window, or waiting by the back door, but he's not gonna wake me up prematurely, and my bed isn't full of fur, and I don't have to worry about how well he sleeps when he has to stay elsewhere while I'm traveling.

I don't mind the fur and I hate traveling, so a rare few sleep interruptions are worth it in exchange for having a sleeping buddy who makes me feel safe when I read creepy stories and can't sleep.

Also it really helps that he keeps me to a schedule - if I go to bed late I am still getting up at 5:30 because someone wants to walk before he's fed at 6. (I am stupidly bad at sticking to a bedtime, so this hard alarm helps!) (Also instead of a harsh beep he licks my face.)

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Is there a distance issue or something? Why was there months between visits?

There was about a week in between the visits, they live 30 miles from each other (with the school being about the halfway point). Meeting at school would be fine for now, because Friend B works as a tutor and can have the dog with her, but when school starts in September the pooch won't be coming to campus anymore.

So it seems like regular visits would be in the dog's best interests? If so, I'll pass that along

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Lovelyn posted:

There was about a week in between the visits, they live 30 miles from each other (with the school being about the halfway point). Meeting at school would be fine for now, because Friend B works as a tutor and can have the dog with her, but when school starts in September the pooch won't be coming to campus anymore.

So it seems like regular visits would be in the dog's best interests? If so, I'll pass that along

Yeah extended time will be good, the dog will probably still be sad he's leaving, but will likely do much better than sporadic visits where he's feeling like he's abandoned by his best friend.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Thanks for the advice with the dog shedding.

Someone just moved into the house next to mine. Previously it was owned by an elderly woman that apparently didn't even live there. Someone just came to tend to the house about once a week. My dog was never disturbed.

A young man moved into the house, and he's in the adjacent backyard to ours. We have a fence between us, so I can't see him, but I can hear him (not that I have interest in either). He's in the backyard a lot, obviously working on his new pool. He will probably be in his backyard or in the pool a lot, seeing as its Texas and 100 degrees out everyday.

My dog is having a hard time adjusting to someone living on the other side of the fence, doing their business in their own backyard. My dog will start barking as soon as she hear's my neighbor doing whatever in his backyard. Typically she just barks for about 10-20 seconds. Sometimes though, it becomes more annoying when my neighbor is obviously outside working in their yard, making normal yard noise.
My dog just won't stfu when this happens. She will just keep barking for like 30 seconds- 1min. Then occasionally for a few spurts thereafter.

I try to correct my dog, "NO! no bark! no barking! NO KANGA! no bark!" She will stop barking for about 1-2 mins, but then, if my neighbor is still in his yard doing poo poo, my dog will go right back to barking.

This is a new neighbor who just bought this house, and I'm sure he wants to enjoy his nice new backyard and pool. I don't want my dog pissing him off everytime he goes into his backyard. But I also can't be hosed to literally walk across my house and down the stairs to yell "NO! BARK!" every time he decides to leave his house. This whole issue is occuring like 4-5 times a day now. I had to go pull her in at 9pm last night because my neighbor was doing something in his backyard along our fenceline with a flashlight, making a bunch of noise. loving with his tool-shed or w/e I don't know, and it's not my business. My neighbor isn't doing anything wrong, it's his house and his yard. I feel like he should be able to use it without having to worry about my dog barking her head off at him everytime he uses his yard.

Does anyone have some tips or training advice on how I can start teaching my dog to not be bothered and bark crazy everytime this happens??
Is it possible I'm just being too fkn sensitive about my neighbor's sensibilities? He hasn't actually said anything to me about the dog barking. We're talking about a Aus Cattle Dog here, medium like 40lbs. So it's not some Husky or GSD bark thats super loud or anything.

Side info: my dog is a sweetheart, without a single aggressive bone in her body. I actually met the new neighbor, and introduced her to my dog. NP there. I think my dog is just being protective of our property. She does the same barking routine when the garbage truck loudly drives through and stops in the alley, when landscapers are working on surrounding lawns, etc. She doesn't mean anything by it, and my guess is its more of a fear thing, than a predatory thing with her.

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 11, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The barking's probably just excitement and trying to alert you that there's someone nearby. I doubt she's being fearful/aggressive, but playing up the excitement doesn't help. I'd suggest just telling her "hey, no, that's enough", in a calm voice.

I mean, that probably won't stop her from barking in a few minutes either, but it doesn't create a feedback loop of excitement where she goes "oh, you're excited, that means I should be more excited ahhhhh!" Plus being able to get her to stop for a minute or two without wearing out your own voice is always nice.

The only humane (i.e. not relying on shock collars or similar), reliable solution to this problem that I'm aware of is to sequester the dog inside. I often have to warn my dog "if you bark again, you're going inside". I'm pretty sure he understands why he gets locked inside for awhile, he just can't help himself with the barking.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't mind the fur and I hate traveling, so a rare few sleep interruptions are worth it in exchange for having a sleeping buddy who makes me feel safe when I read creepy stories and can't sleep.

Also it really helps that he keeps me to a schedule - if I go to bed late I am still getting up at 5:30 because someone wants to walk before he's fed at 6. (I am stupidly bad at sticking to a bedtime, so this hard alarm helps!) (Also instead of a harsh beep he licks my face.)

I guess that's fair. I use a lamp on a timered dimmer switch as my alarm clock, so it gradually starts brightening at 5:45. It's miles better than a screaming beep, though almost certainly not as persistent as a dog would be.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Dennis McClaren posted:

Thanks for the advice with the dog shedding.

Someone just moved into the house next to mine. Previously it was owned by an elderly woman that apparently didn't even live there. Someone just came to tend to the house about once a week. My dog was never disturbed.

A young man moved into the house, and he's in the adjacent backyard to ours. We have a fence between us, so I can't see him, but I can hear him (not that I have interest in either). He's in the backyard a lot, obviously working on his new pool. He will probably be in his backyard or in the pool a lot, seeing as its Texas and 100 degrees out everyday.

My dog is having a hard time adjusting to someone living on the other side of the fence, doing their business in their own backyard. My dog will start barking as soon as she hear's my neighbor doing whatever in his backyard. Typically she just barks for about 10-20 seconds. Sometimes though, it becomes more annoying when my neighbor is obviously outside working in their yard, making normal yard noise.
My dog just won't stfu when this happens. She will just keep barking for like 30 seconds- 1min. Then occasionally for a few spurts thereafter.

I try to correct my dog, "NO! no bark! no barking! NO KANGA! no bark!" She will stop barking for about 1-2 mins, but then, if my neighbor is still in his yard doing poo poo, my dog will go right back to barking.

This is a new neighbor who just bought this house, and I'm sure he wants to enjoy his nice new backyard and pool. I don't want my dog pissing him off everytime he goes into his backyard. But I also can't be hosed to literally walk across my house and down the stairs to yell "NO! BARK!" every time he decides to leave his house. This whole issue is occuring like 4-5 times a day now. I had to go pull her in at 9pm last night because my neighbor was doing something in his backyard along our fenceline with a flashlight, making a bunch of noise. loving with his tool-shed or w/e I don't know, and it's not my business. My neighbor isn't doing anything wrong, it's his house and his yard. I feel like he should be able to use it without having to worry about my dog barking her head off at him everytime he uses his yard.

Does anyone have some tips or training advice on how I can start teaching my dog to not be bothered and bark crazy everytime this happens??
Is it possible I'm just being too fkn sensitive about my neighbor's sensibilities? He hasn't actually said anything to me about the dog barking. We're talking about a Aus Cattle Dog here, medium like 40lbs. So it's not some Husky or GSD bark thats super loud or anything.

Side info: my dog is a sweetheart, without a single aggressive bone in her body. I actually met the new neighbor, and introduced her to my dog. NP there. I think my dog is just being protective of our property. She does the same barking routine when the garbage truck loudly drives through and stops in the alley, when landscapers are working on surrounding lawns, etc. She doesn't mean anything by it, and my guess is its more of a fear thing, than a predatory thing with her.

A few things:
Talk to your neighbor about it, see if it bothers him at all.
Has the dog met the neighbor? If he's not scared of dogs or w/e, it might be beneficial for them to meet.
It might be beneficial to allow your dog to see him and what he's doing, if your neighbor is OK with it at some point.

Anecdotal story time, I had a few dogs growing up and chain-link fences, the dogs would sometimes just go ballistic when the neighbors were outside doing neighbor things, but sometimes they wouldn't.

The dog is just reacting to new stimuli and (might) calm down about it eventually as she/he gets used to it.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
My dogs used to bark at my neighbor through the chain link fence. He started giving them treats at the fence, first by tossing them then when they got used to him, he would give them directly. After a few days they whined and begged when he was out instead of barked... bit of an improvement but still annoying.

And boy did I hear about it when he was mowing and I wouldn’t let them outside. I am the worst dog owner EVER.

I also had luck with having a neighbor toss tennis balls though it didn’t work as quickly as treats. I think the same strategies would work even though your dog can’t see the neighbor.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

alternatively, just combine your backyards, he gets the pleasure of a dog and you get to use the pool!

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

The barking's probably just excitement and trying to alert you that there's someone nearby. I doubt she's being fearful/aggressive, but playing up the excitement doesn't help. I'd suggest just telling her "hey, no, that's enough", in a calm voice.

I mean, that probably won't stop her from barking in a few minutes either, but it doesn't create a feedback loop of excitement where she goes "oh, you're excited, that means I should be more excited ahhhhh!" Plus being able to get her to stop for a minute or two without wearing out your own voice is always nice.

The only humane (i.e. not relying on shock collars or similar), reliable solution to this problem that I'm aware of is to sequester the dog inside. I often have to warn my dog "if you bark again, you're going inside". I'm pretty sure he understands why he gets locked inside for awhile, he just can't help himself with the barking.
Thanks, this helped a lot. I'm doing the same thing now, where if she does it for the 2nd or 3rd time in a day, I give her the same spiel, and I put her inside in her crate for an hour or so. I agree, that maybe she's getting that.

MF_James posted:

A few things:
Talk to your neighbor about it, see if it bothers him at all.
Has the dog met the neighbor? If he's not scared of dogs or w/e, it might be beneficial for them to meet.
It might be beneficial to allow your dog to see him and what he's doing, if your neighbor is OK with it at some point.

Anecdotal story time, I had a few dogs growing up and chain-link fences, the dogs would sometimes just go ballistic when the neighbors were outside doing neighbor things, but sometimes they wouldn't.

The dog is just reacting to new stimuli and (might) calm down about it eventually as she/he gets used to it.
Well, we can't see the neighbor or their yard because it's a big wooden privacy fence. Otherwise that would be a good idea, and I'm sure she wouldn't bark at all at him if she could see him.

I hope you're right that she'll start getting used to it maybe. It's only been a month I guess.

Joburg posted:

I also had luck with having a neighbor toss tennis balls though it didn’t work as quickly as treats. I think the same strategies would work even though your dog can’t see the neighbor.
I think maybe I should just remind him what her name is. I think if he just called her name out, maybe she would chill.

MF_James posted:

alternatively, just combine your backyards, he gets the pleasure of a dog and you get to use the pool!

That would be ideal.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

FWIW, we are in a similar situation where much more active neighbors moved in next door at the very beginning of summer. At first our young dog Ivy would bark at this cute little family as if they were murderers. Now she will maybe yip at them a few times and stop. They have been so nice to her, and when she starts barking they say "Hi Ivy!" Eventually she learned that they weren't worth barking at for very long. It took a good month or two for her to get to this point, where she will ignore them, or just give a couple yips most of the time.

I also have tried to keep a small tupperware container of high value treats out there, so that if she barks at the neighbors or someone else walking down the alley, I can get her attention and divert her. It works 45% of the time, especially failing if another dog is involved. I call her in the sweetest voice I can muster according to my mood and treat her even if she goes back to barking. It at least gets her to focus on me a little and let people pass in peace.

We do have a chain link and it lines an alley that buts up to several other back yards so the situation is a little different. We have more traffic. I am interested to read other ideas here, but also pretty sure Ivy is always going to bark at the neighbors or whoever else - at least a little.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Is there anything that works like Meloxicam but is perhaps cheaper? The price at my vet just doubled.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I've always let my cats sleep in my bed so I don't mind the dogs. My dogs don't shed that much either. One of them prefers sleeping on the couch anyway. Occasionally, they'll decide it's puppy playtime in the middle of the night but that's mostly my fault for not tiring them during the day.

And they're entirely too tolerant about waiting for me to wake up. I can hit my snooze button forever, as long as I don't talk to them. The second I say "Do you want to outside?", the little one who sleeps with me wakes up and starts wiggling and the other one runs in and starts bouncing around. Then I've got to get up.

Dennis McClaren posted:

I make my dogs go back inside if they won't stop yelling about something. They do get used to neighbors and don't bark at them too much. I say "neighbor" a lot. Like don't bark at neighbors, that's a neighbor, stuff like that. I don't know if that helps or if they just get used to people.

I do let them yell their stupid heads off at people passing by. And sometimes the neighbors yard crew, since I figure their equipment is noisy enough.

What I absolutely won't tolerate is them yelling about the neighbor kid playing basketball. Apparently the basketball is utterly terrifying. That one probably bothers me more than the neighbor because growing up we had neighbors growing up who left their dog outside, right next to out basketball hoop and we could never play in peace. We're not nearly as close.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

A hungry beagle is far louder and has infinite variety of noises when compared to most alarm clocks.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
How do you typically shop around for specialty medical work or otherwise save money on medical costs?

Background-- adopted an 8 year old Boston Terrier mix in March. Had a 3/6 heart murmur and a bit of a stifle issue. Within a month he blew out his knee completely. He then had TPLO surgery, had about 3 other random vet visits for allergies and ear infections, is in physical therapy now, and now I'm told his heart murmur has gotten worse so he should see a cardiologist. It's at this point, looking at a $500 cardiologist with echocardiogram cost (in LA/OC area), that I decide that I need to be more price sensitive because gently caress, this is getting expensive. The one thing I do is have the vet price match 1 800 Pet Meds.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Dog insurance until I have a savings that can accommodate any big dog-related emergencies.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Unfortunately everything this dog suffers from would be considered pre-existing.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

boop the snoot posted:

My dog does very obnoxious stretching and yawning if I stay in bed longer than he would like. It’s very passive aggressive.

My dog literally pulled her blanket over her head one morning when I tried to get her up. She's more than happy to sleep in.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ImplicitAssembler posted:

My dog literally pulled her blanket over her head one morning when I tried to get her up. She's more than happy to sleep in.

Wanna trade? I'd love to be able to sleep in, just once...!

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Can anyone recommend a hypoallergenic doggo for me and my gf? I kind of want a big rear end hypo doog, but we also plan on adopting so our options are kind of limited outside of... labradoodles I guess???

I love all doggos small and large so I want any and all suggestions, preferably more low maintenance (i.e. not always starving for attention at every hour of every day). I think I'll pass on bichon frises since I already grew up with two :rip:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The cockapoo is back where he belongs, out of my drat house. He did nearly get killed in front of us yesterday. That wouldn’t have been a good conversation to have with the owner.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yossarian-22 posted:

Can anyone recommend a hypoallergenic doggo for me and my gf? I kind of want a big rear end hypo doog, but we also plan on adopting so our options are kind of limited outside of... labradoodles I guess???

I love all doggos small and large so I want any and all suggestions, preferably more low maintenance (i.e. not always starving for attention at every hour of every day). I think I'll pass on bichon frises since I already grew up with two :rip:
mixes may or may not be hypo.

imho get a basset hound and eventually allergies will adjust.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Does anyone know about the Taiwan dog adoptions? We've stumbled upon a bunch of rescues in the bay area that are all about Taiwan dogs. Curious if anyone can contribute any knowledge. Thanks.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Taking my lil baby in next Tues for her first round of heartworm treatment. I've been trying to slowly get her used to exercise restriction over the past month or so. It's not easy. She's to my best guess a Dutch shepherd mix, so has seemingly limitless energy and wants to play pretty much constantly. She has gotten used to not playing so much and not going on long walks or playing as much. It's gonna be a tough 3 months. :ohdear:

Obligatory picture of a good girl :3:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I don't know why, but I get the impression the entire dog industry (breeders, groomers, etc) is built around the principle of making it as hard as possible to give them money by never picking up the phone, returning messages, or responding to e-mails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

I seem to get mixed results on google vis-a-vis whether or not Australian terriers are hypoallergenic. The gf also owns pet bunnies but supposedly this breed loves hunting "pest" like animals so we're not sure if it would be a good fit for that reason. Thoughts?