Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

MadScientistWorking posted:

It's really really really really obvious who it is now and not Zak. To make a long story the scathing criticism he got was you should consult and ask harassment victims before you jump into an issue because you can very well make their lives worst. The guy effectively just harassed one of Zak's victims and she's pissed right now.

how about you just tell us who it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Serf posted:

how about you just tell us who it is
LOL it's MSW.

Playing "I've got a secret" is pretty much his only gimmick.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

MadScientistWorking posted:

No you can be complicit in harassment and be completely benign and well intentioned. The advice I received recently when dealing with this sort of clusterfuck is to center your actions around the victims because you are not the one usually going to deal with the fallout.

"Should important information about the harm others are doing go unreported if reported if reporting will harm prior victims?" Is really hairy journalistic ethics territory that people can and will argue over until the death of the free press. It's made even messier in a case like this where a history of harassment campaigns stretches back years, covers an unknown number of victims, and where much of the supporting documentation is lost, private, or scattered across hundreds of forums and social media posts on dozens of websites.

The article didn't mention record of what, if any, outreach was done between the guy who published the article and people who have publicly confirmed to be targeted by prior harassment campaigns. If there wasn't any or very little, then that was a definite mistake.

Personally, I'd guess from the way he muddied the waters presenting Zak as a GGer (without carefully explaining how his his public persona condems it, but he privately buddies up with gators and reactionaries when it's convenient, and is also happy to use the same harassment strategies to his own benefit) that he didn't put the necessary legwork into outreach to victims or other potential targets, either.

E- basically this is a lot of words to say the article did screw up, but this poo poo is also radioactive as gently caress and any professional editor would kill the whole thing before it was ever published

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 11, 2018

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Did anyone else see that MYFAROG is now inexplicably an option for "Fan Favorite Publisher of the Year" in the Ennies? Surely this is just a strange coincidence and not indicative deep political shifts being brought to the surface among vocal segments of the tabletop market.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Someone's looking to wipe the slate clean...

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

FMguru posted:

LOL it's MSW.

Playing "I've got a secret" is pretty much his only gimmick.

EXTREMELY SHAGGY VOICE: it wasnt me

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

White Wolf posted:

We at White Wolf know you have some very pressing questions for us, and we're here to answer them. We would like to invite you to join us for an "Ask Us Anything" livestream later this week, at 8:00am Pacific Time (1700 CEST) on July 13, where Jason Carl, Producer of Vampire 5th Edition, will be present to take your questions and provide open, straightforward answers. We will address all of your questions, comments, and criticisms for an hour, and we ask that you come to us with absolutely any of the topics that have been raised during recent discussions (or any other time). It is important to us that your concerns are met with honesty and transparency. Please join us at https://www.twitch.tv/whitewolfentertainment for stream.

White Wolf exists because our players engage with us - whether through play, critique, collaboration or just conversation. It is only by speaking with our players, and our community, that we make progress as a company with a long history like ours. We want to thank the tabletop community and our fans for inviting this discussion.

First and foremost: White Wolf in no way supports hatred or intolerance in any form, against anyone, at any time. Vampire the Masquerade is, and always has been, about exploring the darker aspects of our world and human nature. This exploration absolutely ends at the borders of the game world; everyone at White Wolf thoroughly condemns hate groups, racism, and intolerance in real life. Any mention in V5 or our other works is not intended as an endorsement or facilitation of those groups.

Immediately after we became aware of an article that described the author's concerns about White Wolf and V5, we contacted the author to offer our perspective and invite a dialogue. At no point have we demanded (or even requested) the article's removal, nor have we issued any legal threats against him or his website. Any threats that claim to be associated with White Wolf are fraudulent and we condemn them outright, along with any threats of violence or retribution against the author.

We understand that trust is slow to build, and we are committed to supporting our diverse community further with every new work that we release. Our upcoming V5 was made with integrity by a team that cares deeply about the players, and we believe it will speak for itself - but as always, the feedback from everyone in the community helps us create even more supportive and meaningful experiences. With that in mind, we want to address your concerns and feedback directly, and we hope you will join us on Friday for an opportunity to do so.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

A discussion with harassing alt-right assholes in a forum that contains my personal info and that of my loved ones? Right after they've chased the last guy off the internet?

Yes, please!

E: oops, I thought it was on FB.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

moths posted:

A discussion with harassing alt-right assholes in a forum that contains my personal info and that of my loved ones? Right after they've chased the last guy off the internet?

Yes, please!

I can see it now...

https://blog.white-wolf.com/2017/02/17/a-howl-for-our-bloody-writer-artists/ posted:

Regarding the recent accusations made against our company: White Wolf was aware of and investigated the previous accusations against us before starting work on the V5 line. Fortunately, these accusations all pertained to alleged online behavior: each accusation is connected to an online discussion, and the digital records of these discussions can be located and reviewed. White Wolf’s investigation concluded that the accusations are false, and that we did not engage in the alleged behavior. We have full faith in ourselves and are excited to see the great work with the World of Darkness spread!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That's going to be cringe-y.

Maybe something would happen, though? That would be nice.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

moths posted:

Yes, please!

E: oops, I thought it was on FB.

Nah, it's on Twitch so it's at least slightly safer. But idk what the cooloff period for new accounts on Twitch are in case a throwaway is necessary.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

EverettLO posted:

Did anyone else see that MYFAROG is now inexplicably an option for "Fan Favorite Publisher of the Year" in the Ennies? Surely this is just a strange coincidence and not indicative deep political shifts being brought to the surface among vocal segments of the tabletop market.

I had a friend who likes this poo poo, and he recently let us know he thinks the Holocaust numbers were exaggerated.

gently caress the alt right.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
If AGDQ is any indication, a public unmoderated twitch chat is going to be an absolute shitshow.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Kurieg posted:

If AGDQ is any indication, a public unmoderated twitch chat is going to be an absolute shitshow.

AGDQs chat is subscriber only.

Think about that. THat's how dogshit that chat is -and- you have to pay to participate.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kurieg posted:

SGDQ 2018 was Subs only and it was still a bit of a mess

Sion posted:

AGDQs chat is subscriber only.

Think about that. THat's how dogshit that chat is -and- you have to pay to participate.

Subs only chat was a recent thing. I wanna say no earlier than SGDQ 2017 or something.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

EverettLO posted:

Welp, looks like the "vote for your fan favorites" page is just plain down, now.

:thunk:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ok so far NüWW has given us:
1) Gay nightclub victim stats in the preview rebuttable on the anniversary week of the Pulse shooting
2) 1,4,8,8
3) (((globalists)))
4) Pedophilia
5) "triggered" Bruja
6) Zak's NPC mocking a real trans person
7) Zak
8) Blood and Soil Souls

V5 looks totally awesome guys!

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

moths posted:

1) Gay nightclub victim stats in the preview rebuttable on the anniversary week of the Pulse shooting
2) 1,4,8,8
3) (((globalists)))
4) Pedophilia
5) "triggered" Bruja
6) Zak's NPC mocking a real trans person
7) Zak
8) Blood and Soil Souls

V5 looks totally awesome guys!

Don't forget "Let them in or Build The Wall!"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh yeah! And wasnt there also a terrorist posing as refugee?

A MUSLIM KID

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The playtest sample setting in Berlin had rules for buffs you got after feeding on different targets. The list included various drug addicts, including at least one who was a escaped ISIS child soldier refugee. I think a few other targets were child refugees too but I can't check until later.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

is there something we can do about this or do we just watch our hobby get dragged kicking and screaming in the Edgy 90s

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Accept that all social activities reflect the surrounding culture and try and help fix that, rather than trying to treat symptoms, like neo-nazi dice in the vampire-themed sample rpg adventure?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

paradoxGentleman posted:

is there something we can do about this or do we just watch our hobby get dragged kicking and screaming in the Edgy 90s

Boycott WW and Paradox, and make it clear to others that you think nuWW are poo poo. Paradox have already openly stated they don't give a poo poo that WW is being run by these people.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Point it out to people who don't know. A lot of TTRPG players are not on board with this kind of thing but may not be aware of it. Most players do not follow this stuff as closely as folks here do.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Support small creators so that the industry's big names don't have to be the handful of actual corporations in the game. Subscribe to creator Patreons. Express a willingness to pay more for games than the current unprofitable prices, and mock anybody who calls $25 too much for a PDF.

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009

moths posted:

8) Blood and Soil Souls

I knew about the others, but these two I wasn't aware of. Sorry if I'm being a dummy, but what happened with these?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

In the case of the latter, that's how Swedish Dracula signed a public message related to VtM stuff back in maybe 2016. Someone around here should have a screenshot?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Disproportionate Orphan posted:

I knew about the others, but these two I wasn't aware of. Sorry if I'm being a dummy, but what happened with these?

For Blood and Souls, that was chief Storyteller Martin Ericsson's sign-off in an email to a customer explaining why he wasn't a nazi sympathiser.

Source: https://twitter.com/cali_keftiu/status/1016213497145802752

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Flavivirus posted:

For Blood and Souls, that was chief Storyteller Tobias' sign-off in an email to a customer explaining why he wasn't a nazi sympathiser.

Source: https://twitter.com/cali_keftiu/status/1016213497145802752

To be more-than-overly-fair to them, is it possible this was some obscure-rear end bullshit from some lovely Werewolf supplement book from 20 years ago no one ever bought, read, or used?

I mean, it's WoD after all?

E: I mean, *I* know what "blood and soil" means and he goddamn well should too, but maybe it's a reference?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 11, 2018

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

To be more-than-overly-fair to them, is it possible this was some obscure-rear end bullshit from some lovely Werewolf supplement book from 20 years ago no one ever bought, read, or used?

I mean, it's WoD after all?

Any one of these things by itself could just be dumb coincidence or whatever. All together? It paints a picture.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Schadenboner posted:

E: I mean, *I* know what "blood and soil" means and he goddamn well should too, but maybe it's a reference?

Supposedly it's a Moorcock reference. And that's just his go-to Signoff phrase, he uses it in most of his correspondence and when he's closing out podcasts too.

but he should know better.

Also: The dogwithdice webpage is back up and he names the people he can.

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009

I don't see any names. All I see is that the page is taken down for his own safety (and a list of reasons) and he doesn't want anything to do with gamers anymore.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Disproportionate Orphan posted:

I don't see any names. All I see is that the page is taken down for his own safety (and a list of reasons) and he doesn't want anything to do with gamers anymore.

Second and third bullet point in the list of reasons have names in them now.

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009

gourdcaptain posted:

Second and third bullet point in the list of reasons have names in them now.

Oh, sorry. It looked so similar to what it showed before that I glossed over them.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

E: gently caress, sorry

Flavivirus fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 11, 2018

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
This update pretty much confirms everything Nuns with Guns posited, unfortunately.

Nuns with Guns posted:

"Should important information about the harm others are doing go unreported if reported if reporting will harm prior victims?" Is really hairy journalistic ethics territory that people can and will argue over until the death of the free press. It's made even messier in a case like this where a history of harassment campaigns stretches back years, covers an unknown number of victims, and where much of the supporting documentation is lost, private, or scattered across hundreds of forums and social media posts on dozens of websites.

The article didn't mention record of what, if any, outreach was done between the guy who published the article and people who have publicly confirmed to be targeted by prior harassment campaigns. If there wasn't any or very little, then that was a definite mistake.

Personally, I'd guess from the way he muddied the waters presenting Zak as a GGer (without carefully explaining how his his public persona condems it, but he privately buddies up with gators and reactionaries when it's convenient, and is also happy to use the same harassment strategies to his own benefit) that he didn't put the necessary legwork into outreach to victims or other potential targets, either.

E- basically this is a lot of words to say the article did screw up, but this poo poo is also radioactive as gently caress and any professional editor would kill the whole thing before it was ever published

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

This is a pretty bad post that you maybe shouldn't have made!

All they did was point out that the article kickstarted another wave of harassment aimed at them because the dude didn't take the necessary steps to protect Zak's victims (which he didn't).

I was with him until that bullet point, where he literally blames them for calling out his lack of attention paid to people who were put in danger by the post, which is a pretty loving lovely thing to do.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 11, 2018

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

This is a pretty bad post that you maybe shouldn't have made!

All they did was point out that the article kickstarted another wave of harassment aimed at them because the dude didn't take the necessary steps to protect Zak's victims (which he didn't).

I was with him until that bullet point, where he literally blames them for calling out his lack of attention paid to people who were put in danger by the post, which is a pretty loving lovely thing to do.

Yeah, you're right. I really should have thought a bit more before posting.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

“Mr. Matthew Webb”

That sounds like he’s conflating two different OPP people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Every time I get :smith: and think "Hams are literally the worst fandom" I come here and get :unsmith: but then remember I have to live in the world with them and I get :smith: all over again.