Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nothing turns me away from a game quicker than 'procgen' and any variation of roguelike, I'll just wait for the MMX collections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

procgen is cool but most indie games just use it to assemble legos randomly which is not cool

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

FirstAidKite posted:

KCB and I are gonna go to Lancaster, PA this weekend. Probably. It's gonna be our biggest road trip ever, only 3 and a half hours to get there but still.

Gonna be heading to this thing she and I have been wanting to go to for years and she feels comfortable enough financially to be able to afford this (this was one of the big expenditures I was referring to back when she was set on having the 4k+ laser eye surgery this Friday before finding out the credit card would've hosed her over)

http://www.parenfaire.com/bluesbrews.html

Basically a blues festival (eh, I'm not really up on any blues stuff, the extent of my blues knowledge comes from blues brothers so basically I don't know poo poo), all you can eat fresh maryland blue crabs and peel & eat shrimp and pulled pork and chicken tenders and hush puppies and and and etc etc etc as well as all you can drink booze from their local breweries. We're hoping it'll be fun. She's excited because she loves crab and she'll also be happy to be in lancaster again because this festival is being hosted at the same location as the ren faire she used to attend.

If you like Indian food and are gonna be in Lancaster proper, make sure you hit the Himalayan.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sakurazuka posted:

Nothing turns me away from a game quicker than 'procgen' and any variation of roguelike, I'll just wait for the MMX collections.

Good procgen is like the dungeons in Diablo. Bad procgen is most of what everything else is because developers like to do that in lieu of hiring level designers.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Procgen can also be used in really subtle ways that just speed up building environments. For example, a lot of open world games use procedural generation to place plants, trees, and other small features so that map designers don't have to place them all by hand. Horizon Zero Dawn is one example of that.

Of course that's all done during development and not something that happens when you load up a new game, so it's not the same as procedurally generating a whole level layout. On that front, Spelunky is a pretty good example, but that's because each piece that the level generator uses is something designed by an actual human--the level generator is just adding small random elements, then stitching the pieces together. It's not generating a level from nothing but a tile set and a set of rules.

Mak0rz posted:

Hmm. I'll have to think about it. Sucks that the plot is lovely. The first game was the first JRPG I've played in years with a story that I found actually engaging.

The plot is definitely bad but it's bad in a way that can be entertaining if you're expecting something silly and extremely hammy. I know I found a good number of the cutscenes to be really entertaining to watch and the story still does have its moments, too.

The combat's the real star in XC2, though. It starts slow but by the time each character has three blades to switch between it gets really fun and satisfying to pull off huge combos. One big difference from XC1 is that you need to time when you use your weapon arts in rhythm with your autoattacks, and getting the timing down actually makes things feel a lot more snappy, which is kind of nice.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 11, 2018

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe the terms need rebranding so people don't think of all the bad indie games

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm tired of progen too but 20XX is an exception it's good. I think the roguelike stuff just fits the structure of this kind of game really well, cause you get to choose which type of level and boss you're going to and therefore which upgrades you get. The devs have also spent a long time getting things just right and it shows.

I like the way it moves and sounds too. The art is kinda rough but it's also kinda charming, and there's cool details that make it more fun. I'm glad I took a chance on it.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

raditts posted:

If you like Indian food and are gonna be in Lancaster proper, make sure you hit the Himalayan.

Make reservations for the Himalayan or you won't get a seat outside the lunch time buffet!

Lancaster (city) has loving great food! There isn't much to eat that's worth while near the Ren Fair grounds.

Here's a list of some of my favorite places to eat food in the city:
Upohar
Souvlaki Boys
Himalayan Curry
Suko Thai
Characters Pub
Callaloo Trinidadian Kitchen
Rachel's Creperie
Iron Hill
Quip's Pub
Pitbullz (plaintain burgers!!)

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I started playing the PC adventure horror game Stasis recently and it's alright. I thought the opening parts were really creepy but then you find someone who isn't a robot to talk to and I feel like that sucked a lot of the tension out of the situation. The premise is kind of cool. A giant tech company builds a research ship in space to conduct illegal/immoral experiments, and uses innocent people who have put themselves into a cryogenic sleep for spaceflight as test subjects. The MC puts himself into cryo sleep with his family before a vacation and wakes up 3 years later in the middle of hell. None of the puzzles have been too tricky yet, but I did need a guide twice for clues (one was just "you can walk off the right of this screen"). There's no action component (yet), no aiming and shooting anything, or health bars, or jump button, which I prefer in my horror adventure games. Things have been fairly straightforward, with areas just giving you a few items at a time and rooms only having one or two things to interact with.

I dunno, it had been on my wishlist for a while and horror adventure games remind me of The White Chamber (a game I spent 20 minutes trying to find the name of). Just chatting about games.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
That all sounds nice but I feel like we'll be too stuffed from the Blue and Brews festival to eat anywhere else tbh.

Also KCB does not like spicy food so I suspect she would not be a fan of the Indian food place, or any other place that has spicy or well-seasoned food. She prefers that her foods be bland and plain and while she doesn't mind seasoning, it's very easy for her to be turned away by food that is reasonably seasoned because the flavors are too strong for her.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I misread the name of that as cryostasis and I got real excited for you and for the possibility that cryostasis is available for purchase somewhere

That's an underrated game that is pseudo-horror. It's weird but it's good.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
kcb sounds like a hard person to hang out with imo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
She's just a little picky with foods. I've gotten her into more seasoned foods but it still has to be kinda toned down, or she can enjoy it but will have to stop after a bit to take a breather from the food because it's too intense.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I haven't played Stasis but I saw a playthrough of it years ago and it's hard to forget simply because of that puzzle where the main character has to perform surgery on himself using a machine and if you fail he ends up ripping out his own spine

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Naan and Raita are both good

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The last time I got baingan bharta I told them to make it as hot as they eat it in India. omg, I was crying it was so painful and so good. Couldn't stop eating!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

GUI posted:

I haven't played Stasis but I saw a playthrough of it years ago and it's hard to forget simply because of that puzzle where the main character has to perform surgery on himself using a machine and if you fail he ends up ripping out his own spine

I've died three times already. It's pretty good about just putting you back at the start of the room you died in, so I'm keeping my eyes peeled for ways to gently caress my poor guy up.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

You guys do you but man picky eating is a hella dealbreaker for me.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I love spicy foods. One thing in particular that I'm not too fond of are places that trade any semblance of taste for pure Scoville levels.

On the other hand, sometimes you just want to punish your intestines for no particular reason.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I was at a Nepalese restaurant recently and had some chili-spiced yak, it was drat good

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I figure she can eat what she wants to eat and I'll eat what I wanna eat. I've no issue with our dinners being tailored around what she can eat because I've still got lunch to eat whatever I want

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My girlfriend's a relatively picky eater, but I say "relatively" because she still likes at least something in almost any kind of cuisine. It's just that she won't eat fish, shellfish, certain vegetables, or mushrooms, which is fairly mild as far as picky eating goes but since fish and mushrooms are some of my favorite things to cook and eat it sometimes bums me out that I can't share those with her.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was at a Nepalese restaurant recently and had some chili-spiced yak, it was drat good
big nepnep fan here, that's right nepnepalese cuisine

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Wildtortilla posted:

Make reservations for the Himalayan or you won't get a seat outside the lunch time buffet!

Lancaster (city) has loving great food! There isn't much to eat that's worth while near the Ren Fair grounds.

Here's a list of some of my favorite places to eat food in the city:
Upohar
Souvlaki Boys
Himalayan Curry
Suko Thai
Characters Pub
Callaloo Trinidadian Kitchen
Rachel's Creperie
Iron Hill
Quip's Pub
Pitbullz (plaintain burgers!!)

What do you think of Issei Noodle? It's hit or miss for me but I don't know of any better ramen / Japanese places.

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 11, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Invisible Inc is the argument for procgen, that game never produces a bad level.

And picky eating is a straight deal breaker. If your idea of dining out is a basket of chicken fingers at Ruby Tuesday we're going to have words.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I think procgen is mainly garbage and a sign that you can't do good level design to me, so its usually an instant turn off to me. The only game I can think of where I didn't mind it was Shadow Warrior 2.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 11, 2018

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Spelunky also. I hope the sequel is as good

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
ugh for gently caress's sake finally beat the boss i was dying a ton against in hollow knight

i'm bad at these games

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Be alone and you never have to deal with other people being picky eaters. That's a gamer tip for ya.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i actually love to cook and love exotic foods and trying new ones for the first time but ever since i moved into my own apartment by myself for the first time i basically subsist on bachelor chow from futurama because i can't be bothered to prepare, cook, and clean up after entire meals only for myself and no one else

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

chumbler posted:

Be alone and you never have to deal with other people being picky eaters. That's a gamer tip for ya.

What if you are the picky eater yourself

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

less laughter posted:

What if you are the picky eater yourself

Then at least no one will give you poo poo for it.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Accordion Man posted:

I think procgen is mainly garbage and a sign that you can't do good level design to me, so its usually an instant turn off to me. The only game I can think of where I didn't mind it was Shadow Warrior 2.

oh lol I hated Shadow Warrior 2's progen. It's a pretty good game but the first one is way better.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

an actual dog posted:

oh lol I hated Shadow Warrior 2's progen. It's a pretty good game but the first one is way better.

phew i didn't want to be the one to bring that up

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

i actually love to cook and love exotic foods and trying new ones for the first time but ever since i moved into my own apartment by myself for the first time i basically subsist on bachelor chow from futurama because i can't be bothered to prepare, cook, and clean up after entire meals only for myself and no one else

Oven roasting things is key to minimizing cooking and cleaning effort.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

In most cases I agree. A game like Dead Cells (and most non-poo poo roguelikes, for that matter), though, where not knowing exactly what you're going into every time you die is part of the gameplay makes it work pretty well.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not while you have a microwave that works

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Not while you have a microwave that works

The difference between oven roasted food and microwaved food is huge, especially for anything that can dry out or get soggy in the microwave.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Said minimising effort, nothing about it being edible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Shortest Path posted:

In most cases I agree. A game like Dead Cells (and most non-poo poo roguelikes, for that matter), though, where not knowing exactly what you're going into every time you die is part of the gameplay makes it work pretty well.

I'm actually not a huge fan of the procgen in Dead Cells, although it's been like a year since I played it last so they may have improved it since then.

• Locked thread