Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

veni veni veni posted:

Face and neck tats are still a pretty surefire sign to steer clear.

or that they're a chart-topping musician

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My friend (male,jewish) got a pikachu on his thigh for free, from another friend who was interning at a tattoo parlour. Is that nazi or bourgeoisie?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

or that they're a chart-topping musician

Or a lovely musician scumbag, but he's one of your oldest friends so he's your lovely musician scumbag.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My friend (male,jewish) got a pikachu on his thigh for free, from another friend who was interning at a tattoo parlour. Is that nazi or bourgeoisie?

Well he can't be buried anymore

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Possibly insensitive question incoming:

I've heard of the "no tattoo" rule for Jewish people before, but does that mean that holocaust survivors are now beholden to it or do they get a pass?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

fruit on the bottom posted:

Psst you’re retarded

and you're why trump's getting a second term

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

Possibly insensitive question incoming:

I've heard of the "no tattoo" rule for Jewish people before, but does that mean that holocaust survivors are now beholden to it or do they get a pass?

Usually jews (and muslims) don't hold the "do exactly as I say or fire and brimstone await" mindset that evangelical christians do. It's more of a "make effort but don't suffer for stupid reasons" thing. For example, if you are starving and there is only pork, eat pork. The rules can be broken. Some people like me even take this further: say you're LGBTQ, it's a fact that people forced to live in the closet live worse lives, are less mentally and physically healthy, and are a high suicide risk. So come out. Whatever the reason behind that unfortunate bible verse, you are who you are and the number one rule is live a good life and make an effort to be good.

This applies to duress or dishonesty too. If some douchebag puts unlisted pork in his burgers to stick it to the jews and moose limbs, he's the sinner, not the people he tricked. Ditto if you shoot someone with those dumb pork fat bullets people sell. I imagine Holocaust tats are in the same category.

If you get locked up for jewishness and the only TP has torah verses on it, you wipe your rear end up with that torah TP. God will understand.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

this ain't exactly good advice, not because of the person themselves, but because of how their family might react.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ditto if you shoot someone with those dumb pork fat bullets people sell.

one: the what bullets? those are a thing? what, are ground up pig bones mixed in with the gunpowder? are the bullets soaked in some pig juice, like some kinda reverse holy water? regardless, who the gently caress buys that poo poo
two: im pretty sure shooting someone is a sin in itself.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

spit on my clit posted:

this ain't exactly good advice, not because of the person themselves, but because of how their family might react.

one: the what bullets? those are a thing? what, are ground up pig bones mixed in with the gunpowder? are the bullets soaked in some pig juice, like some kinda reverse holy water? regardless, who the gently caress buys that poo poo
two: im pretty sure shooting someone is a sin in itself.

Yeah I'm talking ideal here, but the idea is if your society is making GBS threads on you it's their fault for being dicks not yours for being queer.

https://www.ammoland.com/2013/06/peace-through-pork-jihawg-defensive-ammunition/#axzz5KteaIwfM

These aren't the first or only ones, I remember seeing poo poo like this starting right after 9/11. Us jews took note because the people giggling about shooting the terrists straight to hell with pig ammo were also the super gung ho Israel lovers. It's also funny because if killing some muslim dude with a pig bullet makes him damned in a way he wasn't before, doesn't that mean Islam is correct?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
man...we live in a society where we sell pig ammunition

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

spit on my clit posted:

and you're why trump's getting a second term

I’m more powerful than I thought.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

fruit on the bottom posted:

I’m more powerful than I thought.

with great power comes great responsibility

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Growing up in my social circle a tattoo would have gotten you ostracized and the priest would probably cross himself every time he walked by you.

I'm not against tattoos personally, I just don't care enough about anything to put it permanently on my body. The only thing I've even considered was the "sigul" of the crimson king from the dark tower because I've read that so many times but that's way too embarrassing to explain.

If you go to a backwards and rural enough part of America tattoos are still kind of frowned upon. Even that is melting as more and more people get a few of them. It was generally assumed that if you had tattoos you were a trucker, a drug dealer, or just a general miscreant of some sort. It was fine to have tattoos if you were like a construction worker or something but bad if you wanted to ever work in an office or were a woman. There was a lot of stigma around them but then again some circles just didn't give a poo poo. The issue was that those circles were generally assumed to be lower class people and/or criminals. Or, you know, successful rock musicians.

Now people are just increasingly not giving a single poo poo because really what do tattoos hurt? Does it really matter if the cashier ringing you out has full sleeves or the nurse you're talking to has 75% tattoo coverage? It doesn't, now does it?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Usually jews (and muslims) don't hold the "do exactly as I say or fire and brimstone await" mindset that evangelical christians do. It's more of a "make effort but don't suffer for stupid reasons" thing. For example, if you are starving and there is only pork, eat pork. The rules can be broken. Some people like me even take this further: say you're LGBTQ, it's a fact that people forced to live in the closet live worse lives, are less mentally and physically healthy, and are a high suicide risk. So come out. Whatever the reason behind that unfortunate bible verse, you are who you are and the number one rule is live a good life and make an effort to be good.

This applies to duress or dishonesty too. If some douchebag puts unlisted pork in his burgers to stick it to the jews and moose limbs, he's the sinner, not the people he tricked. Ditto if you shoot someone with those dumb pork fat bullets people sell. I imagine Holocaust tats are in the same category.

If you get locked up for jewishness and the only TP has torah verses on it, you wipe your rear end up with that torah TP. God will understand.

The way I heard it explained is "the most important thing is the golden rule. The rest is just commentary." It's very hard to explain to evangelicals that not every other religion believes that the rules are 100% hard and fast and must be completely followed or God hates you and will light you on fire forever. I grew up around some completely insane evangelicals and they really, really like the fire and brimstone version of God that will send you to hell for being nice to a gay person, ever. If you aren't itching to stone people to death in the street for any random transgression then you aren't hardcore enough for them and they are scary. Then again these are people that decided that every single word in the Bible is true and every story actually happened. Last I checked Jews will say that some of the Torah is made up stories meant to teach you something rather than to be a history lesson. Even most of what Jesus himself actually said in the New Testament was parables that didn't actually happen he was just making a point.

In the case of the pork thing though that goes into some interesting cultural territory. In America, well, we loving love our bacon so when people hear "Muslims want to implement Sharia law and Obama is helping" then suddenly it feels like a direct attack on American culture. The response is to fight back which means forcing our pig meat culture on the Muslims. Granted some of it is just plain stupidity like people that assume pork is basically kryptonite to Muslims. These are the people burying dead pigs on their property because I guess Muslims just know if the area is tainted with pig? Or something? Really on that one I have no idea how that makes sense. Bullets greased with pig fat makes logical sense though the premises are flawed. Burying dead pigs...less so.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Jul 11, 2018

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Now people are just increasingly not giving a single poo poo because really what do tattoos hurt? Does it really matter if the cashier ringing you out has full sleeves or the nurse you're talking to has 75% tattoo coverage? It doesn't, now does it?

Oh, some people still give many shits about it. I'm friends with a guy who has to wear long sleeves at his cubicle job where he doesn't even interact with customers. And the only facial hair he's allowed to have is a copstache.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If you go to a backwards and rural enough part of America tattoos are still kind of frowned upon. Even that is melting as more and more people get a few of them. It was generally assumed that if you had tattoos you were a trucker, a drug dealer, or just a general miscreant of some sort. It was fine to have tattoos if you were like a construction worker or something but bad if you wanted to ever work in an office or were a woman. There was a lot of stigma around them but then again some circles just didn't give a poo poo. The issue was that those circles were generally assumed to be lower class people and/or criminals. Or, you know, successful rock musicians.

The way I heard it explained is "the most important thing is the golden rule. The rest is just commentary." It's very hard to explain to evangelicals that not every other religion believes that the rules are 100% hard and fast and must be completely followed or God hates you and will light you on fire forever. I grew up around some completely insane evangelicals and they really, really like the fire and brimstone version of God that will send you to hell for being nice to a gay person, ever. If you aren't itching to stone people to death in the street for any random transgression then you aren't hardcore enough for them and they are scary. Then again these are people that decided that every single word in the Bible is true and every story actually happened. Last I checked Jews will say that some of the Torah is made up stories meant to teach you something rather than to be a history lesson. Even most of what Jesus himself actually said in the New Testament was parables that didn't actually happen he was just making a point.

In the case of the pork thing though that goes into some interesting cultural territory. In America, well, we loving love our bacon so when people hear "Muslims want to implement Sharia law and Obama is helping" then suddenly it feels like a direct attack on American culture. The response is to fight back which means forcing our pig meat culture on the Muslims. Granted some of it is just plain stupidity like people that assume pork is basically kryptonite to Muslims. These are the people burying dead pigs on their property because I guess Muslims just know if the area is tainted with pig? Or something? Really on that one I have no idea how that makes sense. Bullets greased with pig fat makes logical sense though the premises are flawed. Burying dead pigs...less so.

Evangelicals will also, without a hint of irony, explain that this what the Pharisees who opposed Jesus were guilty of.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Also the Jewish ideas of hell and the afterlife are very different than that of Christianity. Basically wherever you're going is God's decision and you'll know when you turn up.
Jewish religion is much more about what you do here and how it matters and less "mansion in Heaven when I die" as well.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There should be a "no conversation" button for Uber so I don't have to listen to small talk when I'm hung over and running late to work.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I dont like tattoos. My girlfriend has one with her dads name and the Welsh flag which is fine but folk who have random flowers on their ankles or butterflies on their necks, i just dont get it.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I thought the idea of pig fat was intended as a (naive) deterrent to suicide bombings rather than as a way to drat them to hell. Like, if you hung a bag of pig fat in a bus they wouldn't want to blow up there for fear of getting sprinkled with the fat.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That’s not how haraam works.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I know, that's just the reasoning I had heard

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Yeah it's really stupid logic from people who don't understand the religion at all but when you say "no that isn't what they actually believe" they basically just start screaming taqqiya until their lungs collapse.

Islam is one if the American right's Great Enemies right now so there isn't the capability of actually understanding or learning about it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Venture Brothers is massively overrated

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Guy Goodbody posted:

Venture Brothers is massively overrated

Agreed

Also thanks to forums legend humper monkey’s lovely, lovely posts I associate the buff blonde character with kneejerk revulsion and hijacked 2000s ghost story threads

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

There should be a "no conversation" button for Uber so I don't have to listen to small talk when I'm hung over and running late to work.

Uber drivers talk like Reddit posts, it's brutal

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Speaking of, Reddit’s formatting is unreadable. I have no idea how it became more popular than traditional message boards.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Good luck getting some of those guys to shut up with a button.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Good luck getting some of those guys to shut up with a button.

It's unbearable. I wish there was still a way to hail a cab using Uber (that's all I ever used while it was active in Chicago). No conversation, no suburb idiot blindly following google maps into alleys or one ways because they don't know the city, and if you were running late the old "I've got $20 in cash extra if you can get me there in 10 minutes" still worked.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Speaking of, Reddit’s formatting is unreadable. I have no idea how it became more popular than traditional message boards.

because you didnt have to pay :10bux: to post about Steven Universe

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The worst part about reddit isn't really the content imho its the fact that half the time you click on a thread title it takes you to imgur or some other site. Then you have to go back and click on the comments link to actually talk about it. It should at least open links in a new tab.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

The worst part about reddit isn't really the content imho its the fact that half the time you click on a thread title it takes you to imgur or some other site. Then you have to go back and click on the comments link to actually talk about it. It should at least open links in a new tab.

thats an option in the preferences bro, i mean literally the first option you see

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Why does it default to the dumbest option? I just want to shitpost, not tweak a bunch of settings to make it less irritating and more like a normal board.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The worst thing about Reddit is that because of the way stuff bubbles up to the top it's basically just an enormous popularity contest.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Why does it default to the dumbest option? I just want to shitpost, not tweak a bunch of settings to make it less irritating and more like a normal board.

heh, bros, look at this idiot who hasn’t even customized his reddit settings

cuck scrub

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The worst thing about Reddit is that because of the way stuff bubbles up to the top it's basically just an enormous popularity contest.

There are some benefits to this system because people can see that they have already discussed the main points. On platforms like youtube it's just hundreds of people leaving the same comment and never reading anything else.

I apprecaite it when I read topics about news articles because the top voted one just summarizes the stories behind paywalls.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

There are some benefits to this system because people can see that they have already discussed the main points. On platforms like youtube it's just hundreds of people leaving the same comment and never reading anything else.

I don't look at YouTube comments. It just looks like racist robot spambots trying to get the most negative attention.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Texas heat doesn't count as ~~dry heat~~

it's 40-50% humidity every fuckin day

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

hawowanlawow posted:

Texas heat doesn't count as ~~dry heat~~

it's 40-50% humidity every fuckin day

Texas Heat sounds like a good BBQ spice rub choice.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nobody knows how many watts are in there microwave. Companies that put different heating times of food packaging based on microwave wattage are cowards. It should be illegal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
“What are those?”

“Watts.”

“Those right there. What are they?”