Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Well poo poo, I expected some sort of turnaround or Nigel getting freed before that mission was over.

However, here's my prediction: Since Dentarg kept getting interrupted before he could say what was going to happen to Nigel back on Draenor, the answer is going to be something other than "horrible execution."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
It is just me or are the screenshots somewhat pixelated in the latter half of the update?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Banemaster posted:

It is just me or are the screenshots somewhat pixelated in the latter half of the update?

He mentions at the start of the update that screenshot quality dipped on his good run.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Well.. that certainly is rather more cliffhangery than I expected. Still, good show!

Poor nigel, jeeze.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I still don't want to believe Vilefeast is gone :(

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I was hoping for a triumphant return after a comical bloodlust misfire hit a death knight.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Deathwing clearly is evil.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

drat cliffhangers. Half-expected it, but still. Looking forward to the next update (hopefully) and maybe that one human mission to see what happens to our "hero".

Azzur posted:

Bonus points if you can tell why this ended up being a failed run.

Did a mage pop out and polymorph Deathwing or otherwise do something else similarly horrid?

The Fat Swordsman
Feb 13, 2012

SirSystemError posted:

drat cliffhangers. Half-expected it, but still. Looking forward to the next update (hopefully) and maybe that one human mission to see what happens to our "hero".

Did a mage pop out and polymorph Deathwing or otherwise do something else similarly horrid?

I think Azzur doesn't have enough gold to build (another?) great hall?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

The Fat Swordsman posted:

I think Azzur doesn't have enough gold to build (another?) great hall?

I didn't see it while reading through at the time, but that's absolutely it.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
What one long slog of a final mission for the Horde..

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.
I've got some time today before all of my various obligations drag me back down into the bottom of "productive member of society," so I want to hand out some badges. And yes, absolutely this final mission was a complete and unfun slog. We'll be seeing the actual orc ending cinematic much later as it sort of interrupts the storyline and is a little bit spoilery?

We've made it to the halfway point! If this were a movie, though, the title shot would be right here.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Azzur posted:

I've got some time today before all of my various obligations drag me back down into the bottom of "productive member of society," so I want to hand out some badges. And yes, absolutely this final mission was a complete and unfun slog. We'll be seeing the actual orc ending cinematic much later as it sort of interrupts the storyline and is a little bit spoilery?

We've made it to the halfway point! If this were a movie, though, the title shot would be right here.

So what you're saying is.. we're finally going beyond the dark portal?

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Adnor posted:

snip

Deathwing clearly is evil.

They've done it. They cracked the code. For their work in advanced conspiracy studies, Adnor has won the much sought after Badge of the Black Dragonflight Illuminati. Congratulations! The gnomes are just shaved dwarves!

And for reasons that are entirely my own, I'm awarding HardDiskD the award for Best Brazilian. Didn't think that'd be a badge in a Warcraft LP? Well... Vai se foder.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Azzur posted:

And for reasons that are entirely my own, I'm awarding HardDiskD the award for Best Brazilian. Didn't think that'd be a badge in a Warcraft LP? Well... Vai se foder.

:syoon:

you still arent off the hook!

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

HardDiskD posted:

:syoon:

you still arent off the hook!

I would never presume so much!

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Azzur posted:

They've done it. They cracked the code. For their work in advanced conspiracy studies, Adnor has won the much sought after Badge of the Black Dragonflight Illuminati. Congratulations! The gnomes are just shaved dwarves!

It's all part of the elves deep state plan :tinfoil:

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

One of my weirder pastimes in this thread is trying to piece together how units get their damage range. Like Deathwing looks like 8d4+5, or Grom is 1d20+2. Some of them are in more bizarre territory, like the Gorefiend is either 8d2, or 2d5+6. Both of those are really kind of strange figures

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

mercenarynuker posted:

One of my weirder pastimes in this thread is trying to piece together how units get their damage range. Like Deathwing looks like 8d4+5, or Grom is 1d20+2. Some of them are in more bizarre territory, like the Gorefiend is either 8d2, or 2d5+6. Both of those are really kind of strange figures

Good news! It's a bit stranger than that!

Also a good note as to why upgrades are so much more powerful in this game than they are in future games.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Interestingly, the damage range in wc3 WAS dice based(before damage reduction and damage type multiplier )

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Intermission: The Journey So Far

It's been awhile since we've taken a bit of a retrospective, so join me for a trip down memory lane.

After the opening of the Dark Portal, Nigel Necksmasher was sent to Azeroth to take care of the "human problem" that Blackhand was dealing with. Along for the ride were Vilefeast the slasher and Bloodgut. These three carved a path of destruction through the land, defeating humans, ogres, and - on one occasion - Blackhand's unarmed daughter. Things we going great! Unless you were a human.

Working as a part of the forces of Stormwind was Duke Wells, who had quickly become the laughingstock of the landed gentry. What sort of knight loses to a savage? His son, Varin Wells, watched his father's slow descent into madness as Nigel somehow bested and humiliated him at every turn. To add insult to injury, the orc had taken his two family heirlooms, the Wells' family hat and Wells' family monocle. The dishonor!

And enemies among the human ranks were not all that Nigel had to worry about. Necksmasher's group was being closely watched by Blackhand through his necrolyte aide, Darkweaver. The warchief suspected that with enough strength, Nigel could turn against him and take the Horde for himself. Of course, he didn't realize that Nigel was probably too dumb to think of that sort of thing. Or at least not motivated enough. Either way, his own superiors started attempting to send him to his death with exceedingly more dangerous jobs. That's when a member of Blackhand's inner circle, Orgrim Doomhammer passed along the message to Nigel that Darkweaver was the source of his problem.

This lead Nigel and the boys to staging a full on assault on Blackhand's fortress at Blackrock Spire. Once there, Necksmasher did what he does best and murdered everyone, including Darkweaver (And robbed his corpse of his cloak!). It was then that Doomhammer took control of the invasion and, under his guidance, Nigel managed to take the human capital of Stormwind.

Varin Wells escaped along with a number of Stormwind refugees. He vowed revenge against the orc who bested his father at every turn and disgraced his family name. He put together a small band of like-minded individuals and created a militia of sorts and began calling himself Captain Wells. He was joined by his father's associate during the First War, Marian Ravigaz. The two prepared for the ensuing orcish threat by taking odd jobs from various nobles, such as setting up infrastructure or rescuing hostages. That's where they met with the dwarven mercenary Ruku Reckless Firefist the Second.

The group began to gain power in the northern lands of Lordaeron while Nigel and his crew began their own invasion. The Second War had begun. However, Vilefeast was taken away by the warlock Gul'dan for some sort of magical experiment. In reality, tests to discover the possibility of the creation of the death knights were underway. Vilefeast was infused with the soul of a dead necrolyte, namely Darkweaver. Unfortunately for the dead spellcaster, he had no control over his host while he was alive. If anything, Vilefeast could only tap into some of the necromantic powers that the former necrolyte once held. While Vilefeast received his magical tinkering, Nigel and Bloodgut met up with Mag'fon, a troll looking for a new home among the Horde.

The war progressed, with each side gaining and losing ground to the other. Unfortunately, while on a routine inspection, Vilefeast was caught by a stray cannonball and killed. Luckily though, Gul'dan's ogre-magi prodigy Cho'Gall was on hand to whisk the remains away for another round of experimentation. Captain Wells, meanwhile, continued his crusade against the orcs, more fueled by revenge than by any sort of duty to country. It even came to light that he was acting solo and that he hadn't even graduated from his military academy. But times were tough for the Alliance, and Sir Anduin Lothar overlooked his past and even allowed Varin to keep his title so long as he could continue to fight for the Alliance.

Vilefeast was returned to Nigel's group, deemed a failure by Gul'dan, who had already moved on to a more effective method of creating death knights. However, Darkweaver started to gain control over the newly killed Vilefeast. Though his mind was still hazy, he could not forget the man who killed him: Necksmasher. Unfortunately, the war went incredibly poorly for the orcs from here on out. With forces spread too thin, Doomhammer recalled all of his armies back to Blackrock Spire just as the humans were making their charge. Nigel struggled with the decision, but ultimately he complied. He even ended up taking a blow to the head during the battle and hallucinating his victory over the human lands. The humans triumphed there, pushing the orcs back through the Dark Portal as they sealed it shut behind them. It was also that first time that Captain Wells met with Nigel face to face.

This pushed an already pissed off Necksmasher over the edge, as the cocky upstart human became the focus for everything that went wrong with the Second War. He joined forces with the new warchief Ner'zhul to further his plan to reopen the Dark Portal. With the whispering words of Teron Gorefiend in his ear, Ner'zhul wanted to gather three artifacts of great power: The Book of Medivh, The Eye of Dalaran, and The Jeweled Scepter of Sargeras. With them, he would be able to open portals to any world he chose, letting the orcs find any number of homes on countless other worlds. Nigel didn't care about all that, just so long as he could get his chance to right his mistakes in Azeroth.

As Nigel and his crew (along with Gorefiend) rampaged across Azeroth again in search of the artifacts, he left behind a message sure to get the notice of Captain Wells. It worked, and the human found himself drawn back into his rivalry with Nigel Necksmasher once more, even if he didn't truly believe it was possible. He, Ravigaz, and Ruku joined forces with Sir Danath, Turalyon, and the elf Alleria Windrunner to discover what was behind the recent orc attacks near Nethergarde Keep. The mage Khadgar sent along a member of the Kirin Tor, Kalassori Morningpath, to keep an eye on the Captain, though she has proven to be something of a handful herself.

After some time (and several cities put to the torch), the orcs managed to collect the artifacts they needed and returned to the Dark Portal. By that point, Gorefiend had called upon his dark powers to banish away the last shreds of Vilefeast's consciousness and call Darkweaver to the fore permanently. Darkweaver then enacted his own revenge plot and had Necksmasher put in chains to be brought before Ner'zhul for trial. Those sorts of trials rarely end with the accused being sent home with a warning. Or his head.

The orcs succeeded. They escaped through the Dark Portal with artifacts of immense power, and with them Ner'zhul could control multiple worlds and power beyond all mortal comprehension. Thankfully, the humans have become aware and they have begun to plan their next steps...

Azzur fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 8, 2019

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.
Alright, whew!

I've been powering through some of these updates and drawing far more than I have in the past few years (and it shows in some places). I'm hoping I can keep this break to about a week or so, but I've left a lot of life things drift away from me. I'm still learning a language and living in a new country, so I'm balancing exploring, work, and the Let's Play. I've also signed up for a marathon and apparently you have to train or something for that? Toss in that I've been adopted by a group of Brazilians who go toe to toe with me in drinks... well, I've got a backlog of stuff to get caught up with both in life and in the thread.

Love you all! I'll still be tossing some little Misc updates here over the next few weeks, so don't worry! We're never having another 6 year break again.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
In good news for Nigel, they at least let him keep the hat and monocle

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I actually think Nigel looks better in the Hat & Monocle than Duke Wells did or Varin would. Although this series should feature a drawing of Varin trying out the look at some point.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I have firm doubts about the structural integrity of a bamboo cage when trying to imprison even a comparitively un-buff orc like Nigel. Hell, Bloodgut could probably even break out of that

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

mercenarynuker posted:

I have firm doubts about the structural integrity of a bamboo cage when trying to imprison even a comparitively un-buff orc like Nigel. Hell, Bloodgut could probably even break out of that

Pretty sure it’s the large number of guys with weapons outside the cage holding him in there really.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

mercenarynuker posted:

Well, it's Warcraft, so it's probably corrupted Fel Bamboo that was first raised by the Olden Ancient Dark Ones timeshifted from an alternate universe, where they used Fel Bamboo weapons to defeat their mortal enemies, the Unicorns of Clan Prancydon. Unbreakable to mortal man. Unless he's gone through this two-hour dungeon to get this legendary one-of-a-kind artifact that five thousand other adventurers also have.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You forgot the bit where you have to buy the other half of the artifact after grinding enough reputation with the corrupted Grimcone clan.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Horde Standard Unit Lines

Something that I really wanted to show off with the previous LP, but never got around to: the unit lines! There's a mark of Blizzard Quality here where most units have unique voices that lend quite a bit of personality to the characters. The “annoyed responses” were little easter eggs that you heard by clicking on a unit too many times.

Enjoy!

Peon
Standard responses
: “Ready to work.”
: “Work complete.”

Grunt
Standard responses
: “Your command, master?”

Peon/Grunt
Standard responses
: “Zug-zug.”
: “Dabu.”
: “Lok-tar.”
: “Swobu.”
: “Erk-tok.”
: “Zog-tog.”
: “Glor-dook.”
: “Errruu?”
: “Hr, Hr, Hrrh!”
: “Hru?”

Annoyed responses
: “Whaaaaaaat?!”
: “Look out.”
: “Miss me!'
: *laughter* “That tickles!”
: “I would not do such things if I were you!”
: “My tummy feels funny!”
: *burp* “S'cuse me.”

Troll
Standard responses
: “New troll here.”
: “Okay.”
: “Alright.”
: “You da boss.”
: “Joo call me?”
: “Joo want axe?”
: “What choo want me kill?”

Annoyed responses
: “I got axe for you.”
: *grumbling*
: “Say hello to my little friend.”

Ogre
Standard responses
: “We're ready, master.” “I'm not ready!”
: “Okay.”
: “Yes, master.”
: “Alright.”
: “Huh?” “What?”
: “What?” “Huh?
: “Yes?”
: “Master?”

Annoyed responses
: “Yes, master.” “I don't want to!'
: “Alright.” “Now I'm hungry!”
: “This way!” No, that way!”
: *burp* “He did it!” “No, he did it!”
: *fart* *laughter*

Ogre-Mage
Standard responses
: “We're ready, master.”
: “Yes, master.”
: “Of course.”
: “Right away.”
: “Yes, master?”
: “What?”
: “What is it?”

Annoyed responses
: *burp* “We did it.”
: “We're not brainless anymore.”
: “I've got the brain.” “Huh-uh!”

Goblin Sappers
Standard responses
: “We're ready!”
: “Okay!”
: “Certainly!”
: “Yes, boss!”
: “Alright!”
: “What?!”
: “Who is it?”
: “Hellooo?”

Annoyed responses
: “We've got explosives!”
: “Kaboooom!”
: “Aww, it's beautiful!”

Goblin Zeppelin
Standard responses
: “Here I am!”
: *whooshing noises*

Annoyed responses
: “I can see my house!”
: “I wish I had a weapon!”

Death Knight
Standard responses
: “I'm alive!”
: “Of course, master.”
: “Very well.”
: *groaning*
: “Make it quick.”

Annoyed responses
: “I'm growing impatient.”
: “Don't push it.”
: “When my work is finished, I'm coming back for you.”

Dragon
Standard responses
: *roar*

Special
These voice lines are a bit of a grab bag for the Horde: Warning calls, base management stuff. As well as some fun bits!

Base alerts
: Ready call for mechanical units (ships, catapults) and grunts
: Units under attack
: Base under attack

Death
: Unit death

Demo lines
: Demo line 1
: Demo line 2
: Demo line 3
: Demo line 4

Azzur fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 11, 2018

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.
While I'm putting together the next couple updates and surviving the harsh summer, I'm gonna keep things going with the unit lines! Man, has this been on the To Do List for a long time now!

EDIT: Seriously, check out those annoyed lines and the demo lines. That's the good stuff.

Azzur fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 11, 2018

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Blizzard's writing may be insane-to-terribad when it comes to plot, but it's consistently amazing when it comes to the unit quotes, as well as the voicework. :allears:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I thought there was an annoyed Orc line “stop poking me!” Or was that Warcraft 1?

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

achtungnight posted:

I thought there was an annoyed Orc line “stop poking me!” Or was that Warcraft 1?

I dropped the ball with WC:O&H...

Here you go.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Azzur posted:

Ogre
Standard responses
: “We're ready, master.” “I'm not ready!”

: *fart* *laughter*

I've always loved these two lines.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Thanks!

My favorites- “we’re not brainless anymore” and one from Alleria I won’t spoil.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Azzur posted:

: “I'm alive!”
I heard this when I read the thread title. :)

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

achtungnight posted:

I think that's actually the Peon from Warcraft 3?

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
It did come from WC1, as linked a few posts ago. The WC3 Grunt's annoyed lines call back to it. Also, only the Grunt and Catapult share the standard ready line. Ships have their own lines, which seem to have been forgotten: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYzjfSCylxQ

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Yeah, was going to ask where the boat lines were. Who wants to sing? Or the Catapults Death Wagons Catapults creaking since you included the Dragons roaring. Always disappointed me that the orcs didn't get unique lines for their Peons and Grunts like the humans did.

EDIT: Was also reminded of an amusing bug related to the voices. If you were playing standard (not BtDP) WC2 and played a custom game as humans and recruited orc allies, they would have human voices. It didn't happen the other way around.

SirSystemError fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
It does happen the other way around, it's just a bit less noticeable since it mainly affects only footmen, rather than both grunts and peons. It also switches the building sound effects, which can be kind of funny sometimes. Especially (to me) with the knight and ogre buildings.