Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/OCTOPATH_PR/status/1017061112729108480

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Your Computer posted:

I'm starting to wonder if I'll even have set party of 4. Since the benched characters don't get exp (and obviously don't progress their story) I think I might just rotate the entire cast (well, with Tressa always in my party).

That said if I had to pick one party I think it would probably the two babs Tressa and Alfyn, strong mom H'aanit and aunt Ophilia.

Team OATH. I like it :thumbsup:

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
I’m going with Team TACO.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Gonna mix-and-match my POTATO team.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm doing Team CHAP (Cyrus, H'annit, Alfyn, Primrose)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Well, I'm going with team COAT. (Cyrus, Olberic, Alfyn, Tressa... actually, Alfyn is before Olberic on my team set-up but COAT just sounds better,)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is there any reason you shouldn't steal anything and everything as Therion, aside from the potential for reputation hit? Like could it affect side quests if NPCs no longer have certain items, or you can't guide them into battle anymore?

Why do you think anybody in the thread would know the answer to this? None of us have the game yet. You know as much as we do.

It could very likely go either way.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

screech on the beach posted:

I was wondering which two people should join Team Happy People.

This is a compelling argument for Cyrus and Ophilia. Or Olbericht, but who needs people with health when you could instead heal a bunch?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is there any reason you shouldn't steal anything and everything as Therion, aside from the potential for reputation hit? Like could it affect side quests if NPCs no longer have certain items, or you can't guide them into battle anymore?

Well, one lategame town has you fork out 100000 cash to restore your reputation if you gently caress up so...

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I played the first demo and I was excited about this, though I don't quite have the time or money to play this just yet. Maybe in a few weeks.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Folt The Bolt posted:

Well, one lategame town has you fork out 100000 cash to restore your reputation if you gently caress up so...
I think it's actually always a set percentage of your money. At least, that's how it is in the demo.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Ugh... in practice, this means save/load before any stealing. Maybe I'll restart with Tressa instead of Therion and save myself the hassle? I was worried because I couldn't see myself playing without both of them together.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Phenotype posted:

Ugh... in practice, this means save/load before any stealing. Maybe I'll restart with Tressa instead of Therion and save myself the hassle? I was worried because I couldn't see myself playing without both of them together.

Is having your rep tarnished really that bad though? I never triggered it in the demo.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Zaphod42 posted:

Is having your rep tarnished really that bad though? I never triggered it in the demo.

I dunno! Is paying out 100,000g that bad? Maybe!

I only ever got 100% chances in the demo. I dunno where that guy got the fee from a lategame town from, even.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
My main team is likely to be... Uh... HOTC, which isn't a word. :(

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Amazon.ca updated my shipping to Arriving 17 Jul - 19 Jul :(

Prime and preordered May

Oh Bezos

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Housh posted:

Prime and preordered May

Oh Bezos

Sounds like a good time to support those people striking at Amazon and get it somewhere else. I got a call from the store I preordered it at, apparently they're letting me have it tomorrow.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Housh posted:

Prime and preordered May

Oh Bezos

Literally same with me. :argh:
It’s Kirby all over again.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Says the same for me for amazon :( I hope I get it Friday cause Saturday I am taking a long train ride and it would be the perfect opportunity to play it.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Get ready for my smugpost where I tell you that I pre-ordered digitally and have had the game pre-loaded on my Switch for weeks and how much superior digital purchases and therefore I, as a human being, am.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

My copy still hasn't been dispatched and lemme tell you I'm pissed because I'm going away on Monday and wanted to bring it with me.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I think common advice for slow Amazon shipments is to buy it at a store and return the unopened Amazon copy when it comes in.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
It's out restart steam

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I’m doing Team OCTOPATH where I interchange my menemvere except for Tressa cause you can never have enough money. Capitalism, ho!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Mega64 posted:

I think common advice for slow Amazon shipments is to buy it at a store and return the unopened Amazon copy when it comes in.
I did that with my last two Switch games. I feel bad about it now cause it was at Toys R Us. Toys R Us still exists in Canada but just barely. I think this time I'll forgo the $8 I save with Prime and just get it tomorrow morning.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

What time do (european) eshop games usually activate?

If it’s early enough I might actually get to play this on my 10 hour flight back from Shanghai.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Phenotype posted:

I dunno! Is paying out 100,000g that bad? Maybe!

I only ever got 100% chances in the demo. I dunno where that guy got the fee from a lategame town from, even.

Octopath Discord. Europe broke the street date so people have been playing through it.

As for reputation, depends on how you feel about not being able to use your Path Actions to interact with people until the fee is paid. It seems Rogue actions are very useful at the beginning, but Noble Actions are better at the end.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
https://gematsu.com/2018/07/octopath-traveler-details-battle-jobs-secret-jobs-and-party-chat

Octopath has Talesesque skits about the story at various points. Does that settle it?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
not doubling up on path actions is hard enough, it's going to be hell to not double up combat classes as well

though I might just have to ignore their abilities and go with the cutest costumes. Hunter Tressa is important, even if I have H'aanit on my team. :colbert:

Andrast posted:

If it’s early enough I might actually get to play this on my 10 hour flight back from Shanghai.
I feel like they often activate either in the middle of the day or later. I swear some games have even said that they activate on a specific date in the eshop and then not unlocking until the next day :arghfist::(

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Andrast posted:

In Australia it's midnight, soon as the date ticks over. Or 10pm the day before if you're in the west. 9pm during summer. :getin:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

OCTOPATH AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Happy Octopath Eve!

Amazon is apparently canceling preorders, so check if that’s where you got it from.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I can't believe nobody told me that Alfyn's art in that countdown on the official Octopath twitter was so good.

Just a random dog hanging out on his head. No big deal. He does this all the time.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Andrast posted:

It should unlock at midnight for wherever your account is registered (either CEST or BST).

e: Actually that's usually just 1st party games, no idea if this will do it since it might not be published by Nintendo.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

86% on pcgames.de

http://www.pcgames.de/Octopath-Traveler-Spiel-61472/Tests/Review-Release-Wertung-1260678/2/

My copy dispatched last night....can't wait....

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

screech on the beach posted:

For everyone, here are all possible words (four letters and above) that can be made from OCTOPATH:

7 Letter Word(s)
topcoat

6 Letter Word(s)

cahoot potato

5 Letter Word(s)

achoo chapt chott coapt coopt cotta patch photo poach pooch potto tooth

4 Letter Word(s)
atop caph capo chao chap chat chop coat coho coop coot hoop hoot oath opah otto pact path phat phot poco pooh poot tach taco tact that toot toph topo

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Kotaku review is up and it seems the core gripe is the stories dont overlap which really bugs the reviewer.

quote:

Some of these stories are entertaining, others trite, but they’re always independent. They never intersect or share common ground. To buy that these eight adventurers would team up, putting aside their own motives to help each other out, requires a suspension of disbelief well beyond what most video games ask of the people who play them. Why would a hardened thief spend so much of his time hanging out with a goody-two-shoes healer? It’s never quite explained.

I can see where that might bother you, but.. I feel like that's a pretty common trope in RPGs that seems weird to focus so much on.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Why do you think anybody in the thread would know the answer to this?
There's a lot that can be done in the prologue demo, so perhaps someone is experienced enough with it to have run into a similar situation and know the answer.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Harlock posted:

The Kotaku review is up and it seems the core gripe is the stories dont overlap which really bugs the reviewer.

I can see where that might bother you, but.. I feel like that's a pretty common trope in RPGs that seems weird to focus so much on.

Usually you have the overarching narrative as the reason but you don't really have that here so I get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Got a message saying mine just shipped. This was also the first (and hopefully only) time I shelled out extra money for the collector's edition. I usually don't care for those kinds of things, but I am a complete sucker for things like that book and the soundtrack CD.

... unfortunately I have to travel for a family reunion tomorrow so I won't be able to play it until Monday anyway.