Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Endless Mike posted:

I haven't read the last issue, so I might be wrong, but it only loosely ties in, and I think even people not reading the main mini could read it without a problem.

Yeah it only ties in with The Raptors. I like it and really hope Cosmic Marvel has another resurgence like it did after Annihilation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

pubic works project posted:

It's a 4 issue mini-series tied in with Infinity Countdown or whatever the hell it's called

It's called the same thing it's always called, "PLEASE READ THIS PEOPLE WHO LIKE THE MOVIES"

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

pubic works project posted:

Yeah it only ties in with The Raptors. I like it and really hope Cosmic Marvel has another resurgence like it did after Annihilation.

Same

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

X-O posted:

That last page of Darkhawk today really made me smile. I want to petition Marvel to let them write a book all about just random '90s D-listers because I love all of those characters.

I didn't think teaming up Darkhawk with Death's Head could be topped. Then that page throws Sleepwalker into the mix and I'm 100% convinced that Infinity Countdown is the single best event Marvel has done in decades.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Squirrel Girl: Kraven nooooooo :(

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Reading Nick Spencer Spider-Man like...praying that Joe Quedesa gets the gently caress away and lets them finally undo the biggest mistake the Spidey franchise ever made.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SilverSupernova posted:

I didn't think teaming up Darkhawk with Death's Head could be topped. Then that page throws Sleepwalker into the mix and I'm 100% convinced that Infinity Countdown is the single best event Marvel has done in decades.

And a new mini from Bowers and Sims (with art from Todd Nauck) featuring said so-and-so got announced.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Three observations after just finishing issue one of X-23.

1: New writer is great. Feels like it's not going to miss a beat without Tom Taylor. I felt like I was reading a continuation of that book and that's great. So I expect it to still be one of the best books monthly.

2: Man that art was fantastic. Not that familiar with the artist's other work besides that really fun short Elektra mini from a little while back but I hope he's on this book a while.

3: Gabby continues to maybe be the best new character of the decade.

X-O fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 12, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is it weird that the x-place has become a kind of

clone high

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

Three observations after just finishing issue one of X-23.

1: New writer is great. Feels like it's not going to miss a beat without Tom Taylor. I felt like I was reading a continuation of that book and that's great. So I expect it to still be one of the best books monthly.

2: Man that art was fantastic. Not that familiar with the artist's other work besides that really fun short Elektra mini from a little while back but I hope he's on this book a while.

Okay, I'm sold on the book.

Tom Taylor is still writing X-Men Red, right?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

Okay, I'm sold on the book.

Tom Taylor is still writing X-Men Red, right?

Yes he is. Also the Cuckoos aren't just there for a clone gag. They look to be a big part of at least the first arc.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Im still bummed tom is no longer writing but i loved that whole scene

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

Yes he is. Also the Cuckoos aren't just there for a clone gag. They look to be a big part of at least the first arc.

Do they explain why they look identical again, aside from two of them dying, deciding they didn't want to look like the clones of Emma Frost that they are was the biggest character development.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

Do they explain why they look identical again, aside from two of them dying, deciding they didn't want to look like the clones of Emma Frost that they are was the biggest character development.

Without spoiling, it’s not explicitly stated but I would say read the book you’ll probably have a good idea. As I said they aren’t just there for the clone gag.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Tamaki's Laura is actually a bit more of a middle ground between old New X-Men/X-23 solo Laura and All-New Wolverine Laura. Still has all the development of the latter but is way more terse and less snarky than Taylor's take. It's an interesting shift.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That art is gorgeous. Gabby looks cartoonily charming while still being semi-realistic. Really great sense of weight and proportion.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

Tamaki's Laura is actually a bit more of a middle ground between old New X-Men/X-23 solo Laura and All-New Wolverine Laura. Still has all the development of the latter but is way more terse and less snarky than Taylor's take. It's an interesting shift.

I dunno, I can hear a LOT of sarcasm in all of her lines in the pages X-O posted.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Is it weird that the x-place has become a kind of

clone high

Previously, on a very special issue of X-23...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

Previously, on a very special issue of X-23...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoUaJFH252w

But with Jean Grey

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 12, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

Those pages were delightful and sold me on the book, thank you.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Android Blues posted:

That art is gorgeous. Gabby looks cartoonily charming while still being semi-realistic. Really great sense of weight and proportion.

Yeah I love the art. I'm not sure why Juan Cabal hasn't done more work for Marvel or anyone really. The only thing I remember him from was the Elektra mini series a little while back, which I had raved about the art in.

His splash pages and action are really good too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

His splash pages and action are really good too.

:golfclap: Well done, that man.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Are they addressing why she's X23 again or is that just the title

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Endless Mike posted:

I haven't read the last issue, so I might be wrong, but it only loosely ties in, and I think even people not reading the main mini could read it without a problem.

This is true (I did it!) but it should be noted that if you're going to read Infinity Countdown Darkhawk, read Darkhawk 51 first. Despite the numbering, which is mostly a gimmick from the Legacy event (was it really an event?) it's a one shot that the Infinity Countdown series directly follows, not really a continuation of the 90s comic. Stuff from it is directly relevant, the new status quo for Darkhawk was established there.

Plus if you read 51 you get to look at awesome Kev Walker art.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
gabby being this kid who just loves being a hero and fighting bad guys down to her core brings a smile to my face every time i read something with her in it

i dread the day she gets stuck on champions and gets all angsty

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Are they addressing why she's X23 again or is that just the title

On the mission at the beginning while in the field they call each other X-23 and H.B. except for one time Gabby slips up and says Laura before immediately correcting herself. And as above when Laura sees Gabby in trouble she drops the codename and just screams Gabby. The name change is not addressed really at all in the book as of yet. The plot of the first arc at least seems to be leading into some old Weapon X/Clone stuff (that's why they're going to see Hank after this scene and where the meet the Cuckoos above) so I'm guessing the reason will be addressed eventually

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

seems like it'd get really awkward to have to say x-23 a bunch. like imagine someone dramatically yelling 'x-23!' on a cliffhanger page or something

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Has Laura ever met Aaron Stack, maybe they can exchange notes about coping with their codenames

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

Has Laura ever met Aaron Stack, maybe they can exchange notes about coping with their codenames

Speaking of X-51, I wrote a little mini poem from the perspective of the Watcher from Earth X. Tell me what you think

X-51, tell me what you see
X-51, because Black Bolt blinded me
X-51, delete your personality

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Yeah, literally my only criticism of X-23 #1 is she's reverted back to that codename and the explanation was not given in this issue. As a continuation of ANW this really should have been addressed in the first issue.
I'll also be mad if Gabby doesn't get a goddamn birthday cake by the end of this arc.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

Has he been in anything in the last decade or whatever? Last I remember seeing him was when he showed up in Brian Reed's Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers version) with his NEXTwave personality. Given that Al Ewing made NEXTwave canon I figure he would have had a cameo or something.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

Has he been in anything in the last decade or whatever? Last I remember seeing him was when he showed up in Brian Reed's Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers version) with his NEXTwave personality. Given that Al Ewing made NEXTwave canon I figure he would have had a cameo or something.

He was briefly in the series Mercs for Money with Domino. That's all I can remember in forever.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Skwirl posted:

He's popped up briefly in things like Squirrel Girl and Spectacular Spider-Man but lately he's most been involved with Domino's group, Mercs for Money, including in her own title.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 12, 2018

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Manatee Cannon posted:

seems like it'd get really awkward to have to say x-23 a bunch. like imagine someone dramatically yelling 'x-23!' on a cliffhanger page or something

A lot of superhero dialogue sounds awkward and silly when you imagine people actually saying it. Calling somebody X-23 isn't really any more inherently ridiculous than screaming about the Human Torch or Magneto.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I didn't mean that the name was weirder than those. I meant it'd be literally harder to say

like if they do a movie set after logan where laura's the main character, having people actually say x-23 is kind of a mouthful

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So... uh... Doc Ock's getting a new solo title (maybe mini?)

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-the-superior-octopus/

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Gaz-L posted:

So... uh... Doc Ock's getting a new solo title (maybe mini?)

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-the-superior-octopus/

I hope he's going to try being a hero. I legitimately liked it in Superior Spider-Man, I wouldn't mind more of it.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 13, 2018

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
For a second I thought that Sony was going try to make a spin-off movie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

David D. Davidson posted:

For a second I thought that Sony was going try to make a spin-off movie.

That was probably in some coked out executive's five year plan at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

If Slott's run will be remembered for something besides being way to loving long, it'll be his use of Otto.

My dad never read comics, but he loved the 60's Spider-Man cartoon, and when we think of "Spider-Man villain" we think of Spidey dodging Doc Ock's tentacles. I'll buy the first issue regardless of who's on it.