Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

I only fill my radiator with concentrated urine from when I'm severely dehydrated.

It color-matches dex-cool, so it should be good to go.

Probably better for your coolant system than Dex-Cool, anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Twerk from Home posted:

I only fill my radiator with concentrated urine from when I'm severely dehydrated.

It color-matches dex-cool, so it should be good to go.

After a roadside repair of a rad hose, I refilled my system with Perrier with a Hint of Lemon.

I swear it made the engine smell nicer.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Uthor posted:

My VW uses pink coolant. What does one need to drink so their urine can be used in a VW?

Ton of beet juice.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Uthor posted:

My VW uses pink coolant. What does one need to drink so their urine can be used in a VW?

A punch in your kidneys.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Uthor posted:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

builds character posted:

Ton of beet juice.

Good thing I'm Polish, then!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Uthor posted:

Beet juice

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Distilled water is so cheap that I just have a bunch of it around for various things, like making tea. Why not use it as needed in the cooling system of my fine automobile?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Cheap but not necessarily available when a radiator boils over on a road trip or whatever.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Uthor posted:

Strawberry Fanta

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Deteriorata posted:

No, it's fine as advice. There's no physical way tap water can make any meaningful difference whatsoever. The benefits of distilled water are all in your mind.

Go ahead and use distilled if you want to. Use tap water if you want to. It literally does not matter.

Take it you've never had South Florida water? I swear it's 5% lime rock by volume.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Something is rolling around in the ducting behind the dash of my 2014 Expedition. I'd like to get at the ducting and get whatever it is out but I'm very hesitant I'm pulling the dash and I've never done that before. How hard a task is it? Any advice? It just seems silly to pay someone to do that just for an annoying noise.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

PainterofCrap posted:

I've been using tap water for forty years; since 2000 in my Bonneville (Iron block). Yet to see a problem.

Iron head too?
I've seen alloy heads corrode enough to leak water past the head gasket if tap water was used for years (even if coolant was added to the tap water)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fo3 posted:

Iron head too?
I've seen alloy heads corrode enough to leak water past the head gasket if tap water was used for years (even if coolant was added to the tap water)

I used tap water to make some tea, and it ate right through the kettle and burned the house down. Then it killed my dog.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'd like to find a plain, black leather shift knob for my '12 Focus. It's M12x1.25. Any suggestions for what cars I can search at the junkyards? Most of the online places seem to be gaudy boy racer stuff.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
If you don't mind universal knobs I've bought a generic leather one at o'reilly's in the past. Knob quality was good but the mounting bits were fiddly and kinda cheap.

e: This is the one. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...agen/golf?pos=0

Autoexec.bat fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 12, 2018

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Fo3 posted:

Iron head too?

Yeah...I sent the engine out to be rebuilt in 2010. The heads were fine...from a water-jacket perspective. Hot-tanked, milled, new valves, good for another 44-years.

What I have found kills engines is straight tap water (not including block freezes...a whole different level of fail). A basic level of antifreeze makes all the difference.

Look: I'm an old gently caress. If you're rolling an engine with a mix of steel/aluminum/brass/cadmium plate/etc, maybe the water composition has some bi-metal corrosive effect. I've had almost 40-cars since 1977 and never had an issue except engines that sat unstarted for years, and/or were run on straight water. However, I'm all for maximum protection; if running de-ionized water or unicorn piss stops aging your engine, do it. Hell, I built myself a garage with its own furnace that maintains a minimum 55-degrees - my car has essentially stopped aging - so I may not be the best person to argue against extremes in preventative maintenance.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My problem is that this thing is constantly piddling coolant. My mechanic says it's the timing cover gasket, which is a big rear end thing to get to and change, and it's not leaking *enough* that it's an actual threat to the vehicle, I just have to add about a pint a week to keep it full. It's summer so I'm not worrying TOO much about maintaining the ideal antifreeze to water ratio as long as it's still green, and premixed stuff is stupidly expensive for being half water. I just need to be un-lazy and buy a jug of undiluted + a jug of distilled and make myself a bunch of premix bottles, I guess.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

vulturesrow posted:

Something is rolling around in the ducting behind the dash of my 2014 Expedition. I'd like to get at the ducting and get whatever it is out but I'm very hesitant I'm pulling the dash and I've never done that before. How hard a task is it? Any advice? It just seems silly to pay someone to do that just for an annoying noise.

It's probably not difficult, but find a video on youtube or a walkthrough so you know which trim pieces to take off first. That'll save you some curse words for later, as you try to remember which fastener goes where, because Ford probably used 9 sizes of screws/bolts just to be assholes. I'm pretty sure they've stopped mixing SAE and metric, at least.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I ordered new seatbelts for the Jeep, and of course I hosed up and forgot to check everything before placing the order:

New belt in red, old in black. The angle's wrong for mounting to the floor, so it seems I need something like https://www.quadratec.com/products/24247_901.htm

I'd prefer not to wait for shipment again (but will if I have to), but I haven't been able to find it on any local parts store website. Is this something an auto shop would have sitting around, or do I need to order the bastard?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Godholio posted:

It's probably not difficult, but find a video on youtube or a walkthrough so you know which trim pieces to take off first. That'll save you some curse words for later, as you try to remember which fastener goes where, because Ford probably used 9 sizes of screws/bolts just to be assholes. I'm pretty sure they've stopped mixing SAE and metric, at least.

Havent found anything that great. I'm actually wondering if I even need to pull the whole dash. I should be able to pop the vents out and take a look, no?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

Thanks. My friend and I checked that again yesterday and couldn’t find any issues with it. I did change it myself. How tight does it have to be? I’ve changed it two times previously without any issues, so I assume what I’m doing is fine.

If the ring isn’t cracked could it just be defective? I’ve never purchased this filter before. Just generic Napa.

Not that tight, just snugged down until it's flat against the oil filter housing. Is it leaking from there? If so, a new cap is pretty cheap online. Napa also carries them (but for a lot more).

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Pham Nuwen posted:

I ordered new seatbelts for the Jeep, and of course I hosed up and forgot to check everything before placing the order:

New belt in red, old in black. The angle's wrong for mounting to the floor, so it seems I need something like https://www.quadratec.com/products/24247_901.htm

I'd prefer not to wait for shipment again (but will if I have to), but I haven't been able to find it on any local parts store website. Is this something an auto shop would have sitting around, or do I need to order the bastard?

What about going to a local junkyard and pulling the parts ?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Anybody know any hot-poo poo tips to get a Grand Prix LCA balljoint to separate from the knuckle it's dangling from? The only thing now connecting that lovely Dorman LCA to my car is apparently some sort of voodoo magic. I have hammers that I'll try in the morning but none of the special prying tools I've read about, how hosed am I without them?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Got a Harbor Freight anywhere nearby?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

spankmeister posted:

That's a good idea, thanks

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

spankmeister posted:

Those are GM parts-bin belts, should be easy enough to source.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\/\ GM =!= Jeep. Pham is looking for Chrysler Corporation parts-bins. But the point is the same - shouldn't be too hard to find in a JY. I pulled seatbelts out of a wrecked Prelude years ago, and almost came out even on the deal - more than $7 in change under the seats, for $10 cost in a pair of belts.

My fiancee has my truck, about 3 hours away, for fieldwork. This morning she texted me and said it was misfiring and there was some smoke and bad smells - and it took her some special techniques to open the hood, she'll tell me about it when she gets home - and then sent me a picture of an ugly solder with holes in it.
https://imgur.com/1Cn1huu

I *believe* this picture was taken looking straight down on the driver's side, and that blue wire going into the orange connector is one of the spark-plug wires. I don't know what that pipe carries, or if that branch is input our output, but if she takes it to a mechanic and says "please fix this booger solder" is that likely to help with the misfiring, smoke, and smell?

EDIT: Dug up the post describing what led to that booger solder

ExecuDork posted:

The new EGR is shiny brass, and there's a blob of shiny brass that looks like solder or welding where a thin hose attaches to a pipe emerging from the exhaust manifold; that thin hose goes to the new EGR so I think he also fixed that connection point. Possibly there was a leak there. And there could have been other vacuum leaks around. It runs really nicely now, in any case.

So it's about 2 months old, and maybe wore through a hole from vibration and temperature cycling?

\/\/\/ I learned something today! Cool!

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 12, 2018

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

ExecuDork posted:

/\/\/\ GM =!= Jeep. Pham is looking for Chrysler Corporation parts-bins.

It's an AMC-era CJ, they're GM belts.

E: ExecuDork, it looks like you need one of these.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 12, 2018

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Dagen H posted:

It's an AMC-era CJ, they're GM belts.

E: ExecuDork, it looks like you need one of these.
(got your PM, cheers)

Cool, thank you very much!

The mechanic my fiancee took it to is slammed busy, but I managed to book my truck in with a so-far-pretty-good mechanic here for first thing tomorrow morning. When I told the receptionist I wanted 6 new spark plugs and spark plug wires (because that's what the busy mech said to my fiancee), she asked why I said that, and then told me she wrote "misfire" on the form and they'll diagnose it when they have it. I'm curious if they'll replace the EGR Line, or just fix that booger, while they're in there solving the misfire.

I kinda think the spark plug wires are fine, they were new when I bought the truck, 3 years and 70 000 km ago, but the spark plugs have been a problem because there's at least one tiny oil leak into one of the cylinders (it was #4 last year, probably the same this year but I'm not placing any bets) and that eventually fouls the plug. I think tracking down and solving that leak would be more trouble and expense than it's worth, when the usual solution is a $5 spark plug.

Stupid question: would a repeatedly-fouled, repeatedly-replaced spark plug cause its spark plug wire to fail? Could that send problems even further back up the chain to the coils or something?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Autoexec.bat posted:

If you don't mind universal knobs I've bought a generic leather one at o'reilly's in the past. Knob quality was good but the mounting bits were fiddly and kinda cheap.

e: This is the one. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...agen/golf?pos=0

I've never had a universal shift knob stay tight worth a drat.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I was told that I should get a Transmission Flush today for $250 CAD. Good idea or waste of money?

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms
I'd really like to look at what my 89 CRX Si might look like with different paint jobs, decals, body kits, wheels etc.

Are there any cool games/programs/apps that have a comprehensive list of cars that you can look at and customize that might even include cars like the 2nd gen CRX?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Forza would do ok, maybe Grand Turismo as well?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

vulturesrow posted:

Havent found anything that great. I'm actually wondering if I even need to pull the whole dash. I should be able to pop the vents out and take a look, no?

Maybe. It's a complete crap shoot.

Maybe look for videos/write ups about a task that requires dash removal, like heater core replacement, something like that. You're not the first person to do the job, and it'd be crazy if nobody else has documented it yet. Don't be afraid to look at surrounding years, too.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Professor Shark posted:

I was told that I should get a Transmission Flush today for $250 CAD. Good idea or waste of money?

Told by who, exactly? Have you checked the dipstick of fill hole yourself?
Be leery of any maintenance item called a flush that doesn't line up with your car's maintenance schedule. Depending on your car, your automatic transmission fluid even might be a "lifetime fluid" that's only supposed to be checked every 30k miles and, unless there's a problem seen int the checks, only changed every 100k. Also, changing ATF doesn't always mean flushing ATF, so be sure of what you're actually paying for and what your maintenance schedule calls for
I suppose it's worth noting that if you have a manual transmission and you're offered a transmission flush, it's almost certainly a scam. Manual transmissions don't have the very complicated valve bodies to flush out that automatics do, and MTF doesn't degrade in the same way that ATF does

As an aside, I don't know if this piece of shadetree wrenching holds true for more modern automatics and the better transmission fluids in them, but I was taught that changing ATF is a binary "regularly and properly" or "never at all" maintenance item. Burnt ATF can hide a lot of bad problems in the transmission in musch the same way that non-synthetic oil can hide gasket leaks that synthetic oils will go straight through

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Last time a shop told me I needed a flush, my normal mechanic just changed the fluid and the issue I was having went entirely away.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Door Frame posted:

As an aside, I don't know if this piece of shadetree wrenching holds true for more modern automatics and the better transmission fluids in them, but I was taught that changing ATF is a binary "regularly and properly" or "never at all" maintenance item. Burnt ATF can hide a lot of bad problems in the transmission in musch the same way that non-synthetic oil can hide gasket leaks that synthetic oils will go straight through

It's not so much "hiding problems" as a specific failure mode that can cause new problems. Synthetic oil and ATF both have tons of detergents to where suddenly introducing fresh stuff can break up and dislodge old deposits that are built up. With oil, the worst this usually causes is external leaks; any crud that falls off inside will just sink down into the pan, and even if it makes it through the pickup screen the oil pump will grind it up fairly harmlessly.

Slushboxes have a lot more narrow orifices that control critical functions, and it's pumped by the torque converter which is basically a centrifugal pump, so it can't really chew things up. All this means that a previously perfectly functional, if somewhat dirty, transmission that has fresh fluid dumped in suddenly has lots of chances for big chunks of carbon deposit to get washed through the system and plug up, say, a hydraulic passage that actuates a clutchpack; enjoy your new (N-1)-speed transmission.

E: The point of all this is that you can salvage a transmission that's been neglected for a while. The secret is to do it gradually, changing out like half a quart at a time and driving a few hundred miles to let it circulate. That helps break things up more slowly, so you end up breaking those chunks apart by soaking, rather than dissolving the "glue" holding it to whatever piece of metal it's hanging onto.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 13, 2018

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

Told by who, exactly? Have you checked the dipstick of fill hole yourself?
Be leery of any maintenance item called a flush that doesn't line up with your car's maintenance schedule. Depending on your car, your automatic transmission fluid even might be a "lifetime fluid" that's only supposed to be checked every 30k miles and, unless there's a problem seen int the checks, only changed every 100k. Also, changing ATF doesn't always mean flushing ATF, so be sure of what you're actually paying for and what your maintenance schedule calls for
I suppose it's worth noting that if you have a manual transmission and you're offered a transmission flush, it's almost certainly a scam. Manual transmissions don't have the very complicated valve bodies to flush out that automatics do, and MTF doesn't degrade in the same way that ATF does

Dealership Service Dept, the guy said that they recommended it around the mileage my car is at. It's an automatic, not sure about the maintenance schedule.

Edit: I should have mentioned mileage: 88,820 km

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Professor Shark posted:

Dealership Service Dept, the guy said that they recommended it around the mileage my car is at. It's an automatic, not sure about the maintenance schedule.

Edit: I should have mentioned mileage: 88,820 km

Yeah, dealership is out to make a buck. Check what your manual says, and unless you've been doing some really hard driving and your transmission fluid looks dark and smells burnt on the dipstick you almost definitely aren't even due for an ATF replacement.