Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

* He was landing smoothish, but very flat, for a time. I'm getting him to focus on getting the nose up more in the flare, and he's been doing well on that, but in the process the landings have been slightly harder.

Have him put the top of the cowl to the bottom of the horizon in the flare. :)

Rod Machado’s technique is still my favorite way to teach landings:
https://youtu.be/Rv5HEJCyTuk

I miss instructing :saddowns:

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

e.pilot posted:

Have him to put the top of the cowl to the bottom of the horizon in the flare. :)

Yep, that's what I'm getting him to do. He's doing it, now it's a matter of getting used to judging height and smoothing out those landings a bit. His crosswind technique is super, super solid for a pre-solo student, though, which is very encouraging. The guy I flew with today was not so skilled, either at making a crosswind landing or judging the badness of his crosswind landing. But that's exactly the way I was as a student, so I can't complain :v:

P.S. If it makes you feel better about not instructing, I can tell you about all the cancellations I've had. I've had only one more flight than cancellation!

PT6A fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 11, 2018

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

MrYenko posted:

A truly unholy thing.

:canada:

How many name changes his that poor thing been through? I seem to remember it starting as the C-110 and C-130, though the latter name wouldn't have been confusing at all, no sir. Then CS100 and CS300. Now A220.

Should have gone with A360, it was right there.

At least the model numbers will remain 100 and 300 as opposed to jumping right to 800 has both companies have decided to do for some dumb fuckin' reason.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

"Ours start at 800"

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

KodiakRS posted:

So is Boeing going to re-name the 175/190 like they did for what's now the 717? Am I about to be type rated in the 797?

:bravo:

As if SJS wasn’t bad enough now all these new RJ FOs are going to start bragging about “flying a Boeing”.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Piedmont retired their dash 8s today rip

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Dash 8: Alas we knew ye all too well

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Horizon still has 40some Q400's running around, and they're planning to keep at least 30 (until the current management all get fired and their replacements have some brilliant new plan) for the foreseeable future.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I'm hoping to eventually join you guys. A friend of mine who's a FA with Republic told me that, because of their pilot shortage, they're opening their own flight school, with scholarships and financial aid available.

Being broke as hell and currently working Monday through Friday 1900-0700, I see this (or something like it) as probably my only path to getting in the air, so I've applied and had a Skype interview. They've had a lot of applicants, so it's been almost a month since my interview, and I'm going to try emailing again for an update. If i make it in, I'll be moving from lovely rural Georgia to Indianapolis, possibly as early as September.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

taiyoko posted:

I'm hoping to eventually join you guys. A friend of mine who's a FA with Republic told me that, because of their pilot shortage, they're opening their own flight school, with scholarships and financial aid available.

Being broke as hell and currently working Monday through Friday 1900-0700, I see this (or something like it) as probably my only path to getting in the air, so I've applied and had a Skype interview. They've had a lot of applicants, so it's been almost a month since my interview, and I'm going to try emailing again for an update. If i make it in, I'll be moving from lovely rural Georgia to Indianapolis, possibly as early as September.

Is this a Delta Connection Academy-style school or has ab initio landed in the US?

The school I work with is trying to develop some sort of LOFT-based time-building course for their new four year degree and the students will supposedly get the choice of that or MEI as part of the program requirements.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is this a Delta Connection Academy-style school or has ab initio landed in the US?

The school I work with is trying to develop some sort of LOFT-based time-building course for their new four year degree and the students will supposedly get the choice of that or MEI as part of the program requirements.

Yeah, it's like the Delta Connection Academy, from what I'm reading on that.

I've taken to wearing ear pro at my lovely factory job because I don't want to risk getting denied a class 1 medical cert from hearing loss.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Lots of news is the portable ADS-B market.

Foreflight released the Sentry http://flywithsentry.com/ Dual Band with AHRS and CO detection for $500. Made by uAvionix and sold via amazon just like the Scout from last summer. Sadly like the Scout and Stratus 2s it will only work with Foreflight because gently caress you that's why.

Appareo counters with the Stratus 3 with open support for other EFB's and a lower cost. https://twitter.com/Appareo_/status/1017138466218487808

So this seems to mark the end of AFS which was the contract for software, hardware, and marketing between Appareo, Foreflight, and Sportys.

Meanwhile Stratux doesn't give a gently caress and still lets you DIY it for ~$150 http://stratux.me/

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

overdesigned posted:

My dad, a literal lifelong pilot, has, after a stroke and 2 years learning to walk/everything else again, gotten his BasicMed, completed his BFR, and soloed the family 140.

:unsmith:

Outstanding!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

overdesigned posted:

My dad, a literal lifelong pilot, has, after a stroke and 2 years learning to walk/everything else again, gotten his BasicMed, completed his BFR, and soloed the family 140.

:unsmith:

This makes me so happy. Here’s to BasicMed and willing physicians getting us flying again.

Always remember the amount of phone calls we put into the legislature and the fight against ALPA.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Has anyone here worked for JetSuite?

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

two_beer_bishes posted:

Has anyone here worked for JetSuite?

No but I have a friend who did.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
I’m seriously thinking about getting back into flying for a career again. I have my single-engine instrument rating and a few hundred hours but I’m thinking of slowly starting to chip away at my commercial and maybe doing some part time flying in addition to my current job. My current job pays alright but I’m slowly questioning whether traveling and being away from home for months at a time is going to take its toll on me. It’s a very fast-paced, high-stress job where my day is usually 14+ hours long and then move on to the next city. I don’t know if I’d even want to dive right into a full-on airline pilot path because I do like what I do now as well. How viable is it to get a job flying without a college degree? Even if it’s doing corporate type aviation or smaller operational jobs? I’m mainly just trying to find something that allows me to travel but is less physically demanding and keeps me out for no more than a few weeks at a time. From all that I’ve been reading on this thread lately, things seem to be looking up for everyone and maybe it’s time to start thinking about it again.

E: I’m 31 if that matters.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 15, 2018

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I got my CFI IN 2015 and just turned 33 this summer as I was starting with the airlines.

It’s doable for sure. Get your CFI and teach on the side to get your hours while still working a good paying job.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

i am kiss u now posted:

...but I’m slowly questioning whether traveling and being away from home for months at a time is going to take its toll on me. It’s a very fast-paced, high-stress job where my day is usually 14+ hours long and then move on to the next city.

While it won’t be exactly the same sort of stress, I’m pretty sure that airline pilot is pretty far down the list of jobs that let you stay home a lot.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

While it won’t be exactly the same sort of stress, I’m pretty sure that airline pilot is pretty far down the list of jobs that let you stay home a lot.

You go home at the end of a trip, no? So you’d gone a week at a time at most, not months at a time?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hobbesmaster posted:

You go home at the end of a trip, no? So you’d gone a week at a time at most, not months at a time?

Not as good in practice as it sounds on paper honestly.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

e.pilot posted:

It’s doable for sure. Get your CFI and teach on the side to get your hours while still working a good paying job.

Yes, do this thing. I did it and I'm very happy I did right now.

You can certainly become an instructor without a college degree. The place I'm teaching gave less than no fucks about anything other than "you have an instructor rating, and you did your training here so we're pretty sure if you had personal problems someone would've noticed by now."

Joke's on them, I'm a goon so of course I have personal problems, but it's still been really fun! :v:

The Class 1 who taught my instructor rating only ever taught part-time, and he started his CPL after his kids had grown up so I'm figuring he was mid-40s at least. So, yeah, it's never too late.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

e.pilot posted:

Not as good in practice as it sounds on paper honestly.

Yeah I barely have seen my home the past 6 weeks. Some of that is by choice (3 day trip into 5 days into hawaii vacation into 4 day trip into 2 day trip).

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

e.pilot posted:

Have him to put the top of the cowl to the bottom of the horizon in the flare. :)

Rod Machado’s technique is still my favorite way to teach landings:
https://youtu.be/Rv5HEJCyTuk

I miss instructing :saddowns:

Well.... dang, I'd never seen this before. It's great! The sudden expansion is super obvious in the video and anyone with any flight hours would recognize it just by the concept. I'll have to put this into practice!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rldmoto posted:

Well.... dang, I'd never seen this before. It's great! The sudden expansion is super obvious in the video and anyone with any flight hours would recognize it just by the concept. I'll have to put this into practice!

That looks like it will be helpful for my landings, too. However -- he makes a point of how, for this to work, it is important to fly a stabilized approach at no more than 1.3Vs. That seems....awfully slow? In the 152 I'm flying, Vs is between 31 and 35 knots with full flaps. Even taking the high end there, 45 knots is way too slow for my comfort -- we regularly have 10 knot winds and significant gusts. I'm usually coming in at 60-65, which is correct according to the POH.

I mean obviously you gotta slow down to a stall eventually but I'm not gonna fly the whole approach that slow. I guess I just gotta time it so that I'm hitting (in my case) that 45 knots just as I'm coming over the numbers and watching the runway expand?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sagebrush posted:

That looks like it will be helpful for my landings, too. However -- he makes a point of how, for this to work, it is important to fly a stabilized approach at no more than 1.3Vs. That seems....awfully slow? In the 152 I'm flying, Vs is between 31 and 35 knots with full flaps. Even taking the high end there, 45 knots is way too slow for my comfort -- we regularly have 10 knot winds and significant gusts. I'm usually coming in at 60-65, which is correct according to the POH.

I mean obviously you gotta slow down to a stall eventually but I'm not gonna fly the whole approach that slow. I guess I just gotta time it so that I'm hitting (in my case) that 45 knots just as I'm coming over the numbers and watching the runway expand?

In a single engine piston slow to your final approach speed at around 300ft or so. Which if you're flying a 3º approach path will be about a mile out. Which if you're flying a nice tight pattern will be as you're turning final. That said 1.3 Vso is just a rule of thumb, always fly the POH over rules of thumb.

I made this a few years ago for my students to help them understand configuring and flying a stabilized approach.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Pk6Sg9jhWTVnVhV3ZoNGpTRm8/view?usp=sharing

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Personally, I wouldn't recommend a student to fly the whole final leg at 1.3 Vs0, if for no other reason than it doesn't offer much room for error. Our policy is that final approach speed should be 70 knots without flaps in the 172, or 65 with flaps for a normal approach, and 60 for a short- or soft-field landing. Until you feel comfortable shoving that nose down if you get slow, I would advise not approaching slower than that. What I've seen with students so far is that they'll get off their speed, and be slow to react to it, and that causes me to be nervous when we're already at 1.3 Vs0.

I feel the most important thing is to maintain speed control on the approach in general. Pick whatever speed, get to it early in the approach, and maintain it. All my students, if I don't ride them on it, will reduce throttle on downwind and immediately start descending. NO! Reduce throttle, hit your target airspeed with pitch, and then start descending. When you reduce throttle, don't just let the nose of the airplane go wherever it likes -- you're flying the airplane, don't let the airplane fly you. Once you establish your speed, maintain that speed with pitch and control your glideslope with power and flaps. Do not change pitch unless you need to get back to your approach speed.

You can make a poo poo landing from a good approach, of course, but it's exceedingly difficult to make a good landing from a poo poo approach.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Went flying for the first time in over 4 months last weekend to get my currency back. I don't know what happened in my time off, but something feels like it just "clicked" in that time and I had some of the best landings I've ever done. Super smooth, right on the glide path, touched down on the center line right past the numbers every time, even with a crosswind.

Feels good :)

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

I think you can use the concept regardless of speed. The runway is going to drastically widen at some point, and this is a great visual cue that your peripheral vision can pick up on while staring straight down the runway. Just one more thing to help you keep track of where you are vertically.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

One thing to keep in mind with the "1.3 Vso" figure is where that number actually comes from, since it gets kind of misconstrued. The FAA only recommends using 1.3Vso if there isn't a manufacturer recommended approach speed.

Per part 23 (which governs aircraft certification), Vref cannot be less than 1.3Vso, so some aircraft manufacturers use exactly 1.3Vso in their short field performance charts (which are generated using experienced test pilots in ideal conditions), since it gives them better looking numbers for landing distances, but many GA airplanes will have a recommended approach speed that's substantially higher than 1.3Vso.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

A small kit plane crashed near my hometown today. He's fine, the plane is wrecked, but both of those things are beside the point. Go ahead, I'll wait.

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-news/small-plane-reportedly-crashes-near-zanesville-airport/1311691503

The Force was not strong with this one.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

CBJSprague24 posted:

Sadly, Tron Guy had to sell his plane back in the Great Recession.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Turn on apu, turn on air, see smoke, shut down, go home, open beer, sit outside.

Happy Friday! Best job ever!

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

CBJSprague24 posted:

A small kit plane crashed near my hometown today. He's fine, the plane is wrecked, but both of those things are beside the point. Go ahead, I'll wait.

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-news/small-plane-reportedly-crashes-near-zanesville-airport/1311691503

Is that a Dragonfly? Holy poo poo, that's a Dragonfly. I haven't seen one of those since Oshkosh in the '90's. Weirdo plane, Rutan wannabe kind of thing, but 130mph-ish on 80hp at 4gph is pretty okay.

I won't every fly behind a Jabiru though, that's for sure.

edit: Looking at the tail, I think that is actually a Rutan Quickie, which is even faster using a VW engine.

rldmoto fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 20, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I just learned that the Cessna 152 I've been flying is the first ever Cessna 152 off the line.

There's actually a sticker on the tail that says "first Cessna 152" but I assumed that was just some kind of generic special edition thing since it's from the first year of production. But nope, looked up the serial number today and it genuinely is the very first of the 7600 or so they built.

Neato.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
That’s super neat.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's a real little hot rod, too. At some point it was upgraded with an O-320, which gives it like 50% more horsepower -- 148~ or so in a plane that's 1250lb empty. I mean yeah it's not a jet or anything, but it just jumps right off the ground, and in the pattern it's usually pushing up against the yellow arc before I make the downwind turn.

Fun plane.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I used to teach in a 150/150 and man that thing would climb.

Still had all the cruise speed of a 150 though :(

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Rolo posted:

Turn on apu, turn on air, see smoke, shut down, go home, open beer, sit outside.

Happy Friday! Best job ever!

Sounds like the life of a military pilot. Except you just hurry and start the engines so you can shut off the APU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Bob A Feet posted:

Sounds like the life of a military pilot. Except you just hurry and start the engines so you can shut off the APU.

"You did't see that, right?" "See what?" "Yeah, thought so. We'll MAF it when we get back."