Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I forgot about blue dragon!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Forgot Blue Dragon

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

drat

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Forgot Blue Dragon
no I didn't!!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Colonel posted:

i should've said mostly playstation-based lol. it still got ported to ps2 later, so it was basically the same deal as vesperia. every other tales game released in that gen was ps2-only

Fair. What I meant though is that the reason why I've even been able to play them is because of the odd non-Sony release. I've never owned a PlayStation system.

A few of them got ported to Nintendo handhelds though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I especially did not forget about blue dragon: awakened shadow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ3aL4dpuAg

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the most hosed up part of tales is that most of the 2d games on ps2 are really really good, destiny dc takes the original and gives it a combat system that feels insanely satisfying and fun, and rebirth is a goofy but earnest fantasy story with the most experimental and unique mechanics in the entire franchise in a way they've never really revisited. and destiny 2 is uh destiny 2 it has a bad guy who yells a lot

Mak0rz posted:

Fair. What I meant though is that the reason why I've even been able to play them is because of the odd non-Sony release. I've never owned a PlayStation system.

A few of them got ported to Nintendo handhelds though.

the good news is that all of them will probably get ported to a nintendo handheld now, vesperia's probably gonna be the first in a larger effort of bamco just porting older games to switch cause it's cheap and it's a good way to cover years between new releases

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I guess I'll save someone else the trouble and just post the thing about blue dragon everyone remembers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUjxPj3al5U

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Colonel posted:

the most hosed up part of tales is that most of the 2d games on ps2 are really really good, destiny dc takes the original and gives it a combat system that feels insanely satisfying and fun, and rebirth is a goofy but earnest fantasy story with the most experimental and unique mechanics in the entire franchise in a way they've never really revisited. and destiny 2 is uh destiny 2 it has a bad guy who yells a lot

My friend had Legendia. From what I can tell the game is a stinker but drat that soundtrack is extremely good.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mak0rz posted:

My friend had Legendia. From what I can tell the game is a stinker but drat that soundtrack is extremely good.

legendia is a game with a lot of good elements that's let down by being made by the tekken team and the tekken team not knowing how to design an rpg combat system

if they made a remake it'd probably be good cause the core story stuff is neat it's just that the game around it is hard to play

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

homeless snail posted:

I guess I'll save someone else the trouble and just post the thing about blue dragon everyone remembers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUjxPj3al5U

Still blows my mind that this is Ian Gillan. He finally did a gig he can admit was worse than his stint with Black Sabbath

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The one thing I really dislike about Tales games is how utterly opaque the stats and numbers are. Other than a vague idea that bigger numbers is more of the thing the numbers are for, their actual relevance to your combat stuff is hard to parse.

Of course, that's a thing for quite a lot of JRPGs, certainly not unique to that series.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Shortest Path posted:

The one thing I really dislike about Tales games is how utterly opaque the stats and numbers are. Other than a vague idea that bigger numbers is more of the thing the numbers are for, their actual relevance to your combat stuff is hard to parse.

Of course, that's a thing for quite a lot of JRPGs, certainly not unique to that series.

tales of graces f does a really good job making all of its numbers and mechanics pretty understandable overall. so of course none of the hideo baba-produced games after it used the same mechanics and when they did with zestiria they mired it with lovely obtuse bullshit that berseria then had to spend a portion of its year of development turning into something remotely sane or understandable

hideo baba, made a lot of really bad decisions with tales for the short time he was producer, and it kind of sucks

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I guess I'll save someone else the trouble and just post the thing about infinite undiscovery everyone remembers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlHZrBUimuY

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
post the part of resonance of fate everyone remembers

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

post the part of resonance of fate everyone remembers
okay here it is:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail posted:

okay here it is:

that's not nolan north getting paid to have an internal monolog about boobs

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

homeless snail posted:

I guess I'll save someone else the trouble and just post the thing about infinite undiscovery everyone remembers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlHZrBUimuY

what

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

tri-ace was a video game company who made five video games that were good out of 18

tbf three of those five games were valkyrie profile and they were legit

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Colonel posted:

tri-ace was a video game company who made five video games that were good out of 18

That reminds me I've still never played Valkyrie Profile.

Nor have I finished XIII-2 or Lightning Returns.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
valkyrie profile is the only tri-ace game i've played that i liked. it's pretty worth playing

vp2 is cool too but it's impossible to emulate. the ds one is supposed to have a really neat take on morality that actually works really well on a mechanical level

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

there is something about star ocean 4 that everyone remembers, but i will NOT be posting that. instead have welch vineyard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ACoTMFBGhU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
star ocean 1, 4 and 5 are intriguing for how they actively avoid doing anything remotely competent with any decision they make with writing or design

also how literally all of the hype for so5 on sa was people hoping it might be not as bad as tales of zestiria and then it came out and it was just kind of aimless

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Colonel posted:

star ocean 1, 4 and 5 are intriguing for how they actively avoid doing anything remotely competent with any decision they make with writing or design

You forgot 3.

Okay 3 was fun to play but the writing was no better than any of the others.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

homeless snail posted:

there is something about star ocean 4 that everyone remembers, but i will NOT be posting that. instead have welch vineyard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ACoTMFBGhU

i hate welch vineyard because she was retconned into star ocean 2 and all her private actions suck

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mak0rz posted:

You forgot 3.

Okay 3 was fun to play but the writing was no better than any of the others.

i don't like so3 either but i couldn't play far enough into it to hate it and the late twist stuff at least sounds vaguely funny

the one thing i appreciate star ocean for is that the character designer for so4 later did the manga my av is from and his goofy manga about women doing art stuff for video games based loosely off his own experiences as a video game artist are much more interesting than the story in star ocean 4

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

i hate welch vineyard because she was retconned into star ocean 2 and all her private actions suck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQLKfjUavmo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

also how literally all of the hype for so5 on sa was people hoping it might be not as bad as tales of zestiria and then it came out and it was just kind of aimless

As someone who finished both it was probably worse than Zesteria but also half the length.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Should’ve gone to sleep four hours ago but instead played Six Ages

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Metroid Prime 2 was a cool game.

The Shortest Path posted:

I've finished Symphonia like five times and Abyss twice and gotten most of the way through Vesperia and played most of the others a bit.

ToS was such a great game.

I thought ToS was incredibly good as a kid but then during one of my playthroughs I started noticing how badly written it was and the whole thing just kind of fell apart.

Also some of the dungeon design towards the end of the game is infuriating. Have to spend an hour running across a forest because you party refuses to wade into the water to grab an apple 4 ft away from the shore.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Internet Kraken posted:

I thought ToS was incredibly good as a kid but then during one of my playthroughs I started noticing how badly written it was and the whole thing just kind of fell apart.

Also some of the dungeon design towards the end of the game is infuriating. Have to spend an hour running across a forest because you party refuses to wade into the water to grab an apple 4 ft away from the shore.

tales of symphonia is a decently impressive shift into 3d for the series and as basically the only sort of big time jrpg on the gamecube and the only tales game that ever really broke into the mainstream because of that, everything it did well at the time felt all the more impressive to western audiences, and hell, the combat in it hits a decent stride midway through. but most of the writing in it just awkwardly lifts from eternia with more bloat and less focus and it's a lot more obvious now that it's easier to be exposed to more of the series in general

and yeah it has probably the worst dungeon design in the series, which is another thing that tales of the abyss drastically fixed in comparison, toned down the puzzles a lot to something much more sane and had way less blind spots where enemies would just spontaneously charge right in your face

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Symphonia mimics can go gently caress themselves, I'd rather deal with Dark Souls ones, at least I can see them breathe.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway i'm gonna go to sleep so here are my tales recs while they're relevant

if you want something old-school, Tales of Eternia is basically as far back as you can go before the games start feeling dated. it's only 20 hours long, too, so it's a lot less of a time sink than the later games can be, and despite any of its flaws it very effectively uses the time it has in its plot and its much smaller party size to flesh out its entire cast and world before the end. phantasia x on psp would be a good pick too but unfortunately it's never going to be translated

if you want a good early 3d tales, Tales of the Abyss is a game with a kind of rough start, but the first act raises a lot of little interesting bits of writing for its cast and everything throughout act 2 and 3 successfully builds on that opening to explore issues of personal identity, anxiety, frustration and failure, making big big mistakes and figuring out how to live with them and make up for them, and learning to recognize your own flaws rather than making empty excuses. it's very different beast from symphonia but i think it's a lot more successful at what it sets out to do

if you want a good recent tales, Tales of Berseria is the best of the post-Vesperia games and successfully takes a shoestring development budget and turns it into an interesting and engaging story about a cast of weird jaded gently caress ups uncomfortable with themselves and vilified by a system weighed heavily against them fighting people who embody the traditional sense of "the greater good" and growing into kind of a weird found family of gay moms and dads for a little kid, eventually all leading a whole pirate crew of weird monster and pirate misfits who don't have anywhere else to go and finally finding a sense of purpose to their own existence

Tales of Legendia is the best soundtrack go shiina's ever composed that wasn't mr. driller drill land for the nintendo gamecube

this has been my tales recommendations and if you don't play any of them that's ok you'll just have to play shadow hearts instead good night

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 12, 2018

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I played so, so much Symphonia and I was real salty that the port to ps3 wasn't so great.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only difference is 30fps instead of 60 because they used the PS2 version as a base instead of GC since it has more stuff.

Now the PC port, woof

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I recommend Tales of the Abyss because it taught me that it's OK to kill people.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

The only difference is 30fps instead of 60 because they used the PS2 version as a base instead of GC since it has more stuff.

Now the PC port, woof

That's a big difference.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

You guys do you but man picky eating is a hella dealbreaker for me.

I was like this for a long time. A picky eater I mean, and it's because my dad was really picky. Growing up, my mom had a stable of maybe like 10 meals and that was literally all we ever ate because my dad wouldn't try new stuff.

When I moved out, I subsisted on TV dinners for about a year before I said "wow this sucks" and started learning to cook. Now I think I've got a wide variety of things I'll eat or have at least tried.

Bonus anecdote: when a cousin on my mom's side got married, she had the reception catered by a tiny local Mexican restaurant. My maternal grandfather said, "I'm not gonna eat this poo poo. I only eat American food!" And I was like lol what's more American than a gat-dang taco

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1017052031184297986

It's been fun bringing this up with people getting lovely w/r/t the arenanet thing and seeing them immediately 180 and then get mad when I call them on it

thanks kamiya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

kamiyas twitter sucks though

• Locked thread