Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

They’re not wrong unless you’re really good with rollers. No need for hostility in the squid kid thread.

I didn't need to be that coarse, you're right, but I hate when people dismiss rollers out of hand as "not a real gun" when more likely than not, they just don't know how to use a roller. Rollers are extremely good weapons that people don't try to use or get good with because they're more complicated than "herp derp point and shoot". It doesn't help that the best way to play a roller is counter to how you would expect to play a roller, just by looking at the weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
its been a year and i just realized today that your life preserver is the ink tank in salmon run

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Cocoa Crispies posted:

"Seabagging" (not everyone is a squid) but yes.

Inklings squidbag; Octolings 8-ball.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's a fun tactic; if your team is leading in Rainmaker but doesn't currently have the rainmaker, peel off and ink the bad guy's home turf. If it works, what happens is a member or two of the bad guys will waste time fighting you instead of trying to get ahold of or supporting the rainmaker.

I say "fun", it's fun when my team does it, it's loving obnoxious when the bad guy team does it to us and we can't make any progress because half our drat team is back at the spawn fighting one guy with a brush

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/LogothX/status/1017231279006232576

Not Pictured : Player with Enperry warping around the map killing people.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

raditts posted:

That's the weirdest thing about Crusty Sean? And not that he's breaded?

I figure that's the equivalent of an extremely fresh pimp coat.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Although when you think about it I guess its not that different from that one scene in temple of doom where they eat monkey brains

eh still pretty hosed up Nintendo

maybe they're supposed to be tofu or something and just shaped like Crusty Sean to be cute :ohdear:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
What if the Lady Gaga meat dress caught on?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I want the new loving patch already.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Zaphod42 posted:

Idk but Crusty Sean being a shrimp that sells shrimp dinners is weird as hell

raditts posted:

That's the weirdest thing about Crusty Sean? And not that he's breaded?

According to an interview, the food he sells are his own body parts. So yeah, that's probably the weirdest part about him.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

ZeButler posted:

"herp derp point and shoot vertical flick"
This is, in all honesty, the basis of my playstyle as a guy who has only ever played roller since the first game released.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Here's a fun tactic; if your team is leading in Rainmaker but doesn't currently have the rainmaker, peel off and ink the bad guy's home turf. If it works, what happens is a member or two of the bad guys will waste time fighting you instead of trying to get ahold of or supporting the rainmaker.

I say "fun", it's fun when my team does it, it's loving obnoxious when the bad guy team does it to us and we can't make any progress because half our drat team is back at the spawn fighting one guy with a brush

This sounds good on paper, but every time I try this, without fail, the entire rest of my team dies to the rainmaker and his one guy of backup, or even to the guy with the rainmaker themselves. The best way i've found to play splats is to never believe in your team, and plan around doing that.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I did it! I DID IT!

https://twitter.com/1stLethalGeek/status/1017303224670289920

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

:worship:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ZeButler posted:

It doesn't help that the best way to play a roller is counter to how you would expect to play a roller, just by looking at the weapon.

Yeah 100% true I always mess up with it exactly because of this, because while it's great at just painting and covering turf, it's clearly not ideal at it. A good roller player always impresses me, I've come across some loving surgeons with that thing.

Guy Goodbody posted:

This is my go-to tactic in everything but Clam Blitz. The main objective stresses me out and as a tri-slosher I don't really have the range to hunker down in one spot. That weapon is fantastic at hit and runs and flanks though, so I make sure we get the objective I leave it to someone else and then I just harass the poo poo out of the opposition (starting to wonder if I'd enjoy brushes). I tend to have really high kill scores, but I barely get any points from actually being on the objective.

Just started trying out the Tri-slosher Nouveau. I really like the rain bomb, it's slightly cheaper than ink armor and pretty much adds armor around you as you use it to push forward. It's a fun alternative to the standard version.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/CrawfishPrime/status/1017317439682404352

Yuan was the first other person in my team to even think about picking up the rainmaker, and I couldn't, because none of the team would give me the slightest support, so i'd get slaughtered by the other team.

Shoutouts to the member of my team that super jumped to me right next to the enemy spawn like it was any sort of good idea, and to the wipe of the rest of my team after that.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

It's coming

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Ancho-V is back, baby!

Also, say hello to Nautilus 47 and Bloblobber:

What do they do? Well...

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1017321403362623488
https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1017321798348623872

Presumably the stage and weapons are coming at the start of next month. The patch will arrive this Thursday at 6 PM PT.

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 12, 2018

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Gyro aiming is just as good as keyboard and mouse once you get used to it but it does take some getting used to.

I don't know about that. It's really good but at the end of the day it's basically a mouse that tilts in 3D space instead of sliding on a 2D plane. That makes it harder to be consistent, I can't picture pro players using gyro in something like CSGO.

But it's still fun as hell to use.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The blobubbler there looks cool, especially with the ricocheting projectiles. They're going to really break movement apart when used well.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
What are those made out of? Bloblobber looks like a pet bath?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What are those made out of? Bloblobber looks like a pet bath?

If it's not a bidet, it's a tiny hot tub/bath.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
No brush changes. :negative:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Just in case anyone was wondering what those ink tanks are all about : The patch introduces larger ink tanks to the Splattershot Jr.'s that can hold up to 10% more ink than your regular ones.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Patch notes, with some extra details (Whenever the original patch notes weren't being horrifically vague):

Main Weapon Changes posted:

Sploosh-o-matic:
-Ground coverage increase when you point the gun at the ground
-10% more damage to the Rainmaker shield (Multiplier was previously 1x before. Now it's 1.1x, so damage went from 38 to 41.)
Splattershot Jr.: Ink Tanks are 10% larger
Splash-o-matic: No longer has shot deviation while in the air (Previously used to have 12 degrees of shot deviation)
Aerospray MG: Ground coverage increase when you point the gun at the ground
Luna: 20% more accuracy while jumping (Shot deviation angle: 10 degrees -> 8 degrees)
L3 Nozzlenose: 11% more runspeed while shooting (Movement speed: 0.72 -> 0.8)
H3 Nozzlenose:
-If you kill someone with 1 burst, some cosmetic effect happens (Not a gameplay buff.)
-Paints walls better
Squeezer: Time to shift to autofire: 16 frames -> 10 frames
Carbon Roller: Max speed rolling consumes 33% less ink
Splat Roller: See Carbon Roller
Dynamo Roller: See Carbon Roller
Flinza Roller: See Carbon Roller
Squiffer: Charge speed in the air is now the same as it is on the ground (Previously, being in the air caused you to charge twice as slow.)
E-Liter 4K + Scope: Full charge deals 15% more dmg to rainmaker barrier (Multiplier was previously 2x before. Now it's 2.3x, so damage went from 360 to 414.)
Hydra:
-Full charge damage: 35 -> 40
-Normal damage: 28 -> 32
Undercover Brella: Whenever you are credited with an assist or a kill, your shield will fully recover and/or respawn instantly
Rapid Blaster: 6% less explosion damage radius (Same size as a regular Blaster's explosion now.)
Rapid Blaster Pro: See Rapid Blaster
Ballpoint Splatling: In air charge speed/out of ink charge speed -33% (Charges 5.333~ times slower instead of 4 times slower.)
Dualie Squelchers: Ink consumption while shooting: 1% -> 1.2% (100 shots from a full ink tank to 83.3333~ shots)

Sub Weapon Changes posted:

Point Sensor: 21% more range
Autobomb:
-Ink Cost: 70% -> 55%
-Tracking Time: 5 seconds -> 3.5 seconds
-Splash damage explosion radius: Explosion damage range reduced by 7% (70 units -> 65 units)

Special Weapon Changes posted:

Tenta Missiles:
-If you lock onto 1 target, you will launch 10 missiles simultaneously and some are scattered around the target.
-If you lock onto 2 targets, you will launch 5 more missiles in total. Also, missiles are fired faster.
-Special power up increases the painting range of missiles.
-Can now lock onto the Rainmaker shield.
-Damage multiplier on the Rainmaker shield reduced from 2x to 1x (300/60 damage -> 150/30 damage)
-Lock on marker now indicates the number of missiles heading towards you.
Splashdown:
-Painting range increased.
-Gaps in the painting reduced.
Inkjet:
-Landing mark is more visible.
-Now shows when the person is landing as well (Like with superjumps)

Special Cost Changes posted:

96 Gal Deco: 190 -> 180
Custom Blaster: 180 -> 190
Clash Blaster: 170 -> 180
Clash Blaster Neo: 170 -> 180
Rapid Blaster Deco: 180 -> 190
Slosher: 180 -> 190
Mini Splatling: 180 -> 190
Ballpoint Splatling: 190 -> 200
Splat Dualies: 180 -> 190
Enperry Dualies: 190 -> 200
Dualie Squelchers: 180 -> 190
Custom Dualie Squelchers: 190 -> 200
Tetra Dualies: 170 -> 190

Custom Splattershot Jr. just got a lot more terrifying. :catstare:

Also, how big are the Tenta Missile buffs to warrant special cost nerfs to nearly every single Tenta Missile weapon!? :stonk:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 12, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gon’ kill everyone with my non-cost nerfed N-Zap 89 missiles

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Salmon Run patch notes:

quote:

Marooner's Bay - reduced the number of gushers by 1
Marooner's Bay - changed the Goldie's routes during gushers
Mothership - Increased the frequency of cooler box spawns
Mothership - decreased the lifetime of cooler boxes
Mothership - Reduced the maximum number of lesser enemies that can exist on the stage
Fog - Goldies, when killed during fog waves, will drop either 1, 5 or 10 eggs at random
Shoal - added Explosher and BPS
Maws - fixed desync bugs where it attacks on 1 players screen but not another
Goldie seeking - fixed bug where some players cant see the goldie while others can due to poor connections
Mothership - fixed bug where cooler boxes land outside the map
Mothership - fixed bug where cooler boxes dont despawn even after the next wave starts
Marooner's Bay - fixed players not drowning on the low tide basket platform during normal tide
Other - when exiting to inkopolis square from grizzco, you will be placed outside the grizzco entrance

quote:

Marooner's Bay - fixed players not drowning on the low tide basket platform during normal tide
Other - when exiting to inkopolis square from grizzco, you will be placed outside the grizzco entrance

loving FINALLY! After 1 whole year, they fix both of those issues!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

quote:

It is about loving time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's a lot to take in in those notes. That's a lot of tenta missile buffs, a cool change to the undercover brella, move speed buffs to rollers across the board seems scary, and now I have to use H-3 and see what the cosmetic effect is. No changes to any weapon I use really but matches are gonna be different which is exciting.

And thank you for finally fixing salmon run exit point

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Has there been an announcement regarding how many more stages we expect to see added? I know they did that big Rank X/3 maps etc. announcement around 3.0 but should we be expecting a stage a month for the rest of the year?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

In Training posted:

That's a lot to take in in those notes. That's a lot of tenta missile buffs, a cool change to the undercover brella, move speed buffs to rollers across the board seems scary, and now I have to use H-3 and see what the cosmetic effect is. No changes to any weapon I use really but matches are gonna be different which is exciting.

And thank you for finally fixing salmon run exit point

Rollers didn't get a movement speed buff. The Ink cost for rolling around at max speed got lowered.

Also, assuming Autobombs keep the same Ink Saver Sub curve, you'll only need 4 subs of Ink Saver Sub to use double autos on something that isn't the Custom Splattershot Jr. (Which gets double autos for free.)

Carbon Roller Deco was preparing us for this day. :gonk:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 12, 2018

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh I misread that, thank you.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
https://twitter.com/fedule/status/1017386555881603072

oh hey there's other comments you can get.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Wow!

That's a lot of changes.

A lot of like, real changes too, not just stat tweaks

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Do other weapon sets have different ink tank sizes or is that something that just happened with the Splattershot Jr?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

jetpackhewy posted:

Do other weapon sets have different ink tank sizes or is that something that just happened with the Splattershot Jr?

Just the Jrs. It's a pretty interesting change. It lets vanilla stand out from N-ZAP '85 a lot more, and the ink tank change buffs Splat Bomb usage for the Jr. without having to lower Splat Bomb cost for every single weapon. And a good Jr. player is all about knowing how to use the Splat Bombs well, so this buffs the strongest part of that kit.

Also makes Custom Jr. a lot more scary since it gets double autos for free now. That kit was horrendous before, though I don't know if this change will actually make it a great weapon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tenta Missiles is the special on some of my favorite weapon sets so I'm pretty happy about these buffs

I probably like Tenta Missiles so much because they're especially useful in my favorite ranked modes (Splat Zones and Tower Control) just for getting people to run away from the objective. If this means I can also now splat people a little more often with it and paint a little more turf with it then even better.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Just the Jrs. It's a pretty interesting change. It lets vanilla stand out from N-ZAP '85 a lot more, and the ink tank change buffs Splat Bomb usage for the Jr. without having to lower Splat Bomb cost for every single weapon. And a good Jr. player is all about knowing how to use the Splat Bombs well, so this buffs the strongest part of that kit.

Also makes Custom Jr. a lot more scary since it gets double autos for free now. That kit was horrendous before, though I don't know if this change will actually make it a great weapon.

I used the splattershot jr. in Turf War all the time because it has great inking potential with the ink cloud. But you’re right, it is pretty bad at combat.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I do so much better with N-Zaps than anything else right now that it's making me want to force myself to try other weapons just to not be a one-trick pony. But my precious rank! :ohdear:

(the answer is to just play Turf War with new weapons but then I don't make as much money so :v:)

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

Maybe give the 52/96 gal a shot, they're similar to splattershot Pro with higher damage per shot and have some fun sub/special kits.

Tried this out and, wow, it is a huge difference being able to actually reach the things you're shooting at. It almost feels like a different game. Actually got #1 in both inked floor and kills for the first time in a while, too. I'm also really liking the sensor sub a lot more than I thought I would. Maybe I'm doing better because I can tell where I'm s'posed to be aiming instead of my eyes just kinda glazing over all the ink. Hell, even when I get stuffed real bad, I still feel like I help if I reveal two or three enemy locations to my team.

Here's hoping this trend continues and it's not just how I heard the matchmaking pairs people on losing streaks against other losers and vice versa.

This is a really good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.
Picked the game up this morning, laughed out loud at some people's drawings in the main area. Question about controls - is there a way to make the motion controls permanently change what direction you're facing (rather than have it snap back to a center) or do you have to use right stick for that?