Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

eggyolk posted:

My old Dan A4 computer was running loud and hot for years but now it runs like a dream. The v3 case has mounts for an AIO now, but it works well too just floating around behind the graphics card on the v1.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/cP9J7P

Calling an A4 build "old" seems weird to me. It feels like I just got mine, but wow, I guess it's been over a year?

Still the best case IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I mean, the V1 is barely older than a year so "was running loud and hot for years" was kinda funny :v:

The V2 got the AIO/bottom fan mounts too. I just wish whatever manufacturer took over the HSLP-48 project does something with it and soon, all the cooler options for powerful CPUs are crappy in one or the other way.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Maybe it was the multi-year wait for the release of the first A4 that has warped my sense of time.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I don't dislike the Node 202 but it's a good bit noisier and hotter than my last (non-sff) case and I'm looking around for something that might be cooler and quieter and maybe fit an AIO cpu cooler in there. Is the DanCase better for non-blower cards (1080Ti SC2 specifically) than the NCase M1? My first thought was "M1 = bigger = more airflow = cooler" but looking at the actual layouts it seems like the M1 might just recirculate hot air around its own little compartment whereas the DanCase would have the fans right by the mesh sucking in air. The tradeoff would be the DanCase can only do a 92mm AIO cooler as far as I know and I don't know if that's a big deal or not.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Someone mentioned a while ago about the nzxt h200. Mine arrived today, I'm impressed with it a lot. It's a fully sick case for the money, and building in it is absolute cake.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Might have been I that mentioned it. Had a pretty good time putting it together. I'm glad I didn't go smaller. The fans that came with the case were kind of awful, especially pushed against the giant cooler I used. I left top top one in place, but unplugged it, and replaced the other with a "Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2" and additionally added a pair of the same type of 140mm to the front of the case. I bought PWM fans and the system is actually able to manage them unlike the other fans I had. I'm pretty satisfied with the noise level, especially since my NAS is louder.. .gotta get that outta here. I'm very happy with the noise level on the cooler. The graphics card is definitely the loudest thing in the case under load, adding the 140mm fans really helped with that. There are perforations underneath it, and if one uses a SFF power supply you would probably get decent air flow from the bottom of the case. I however, used my full sized 750 watt passive one from my old box.

I was unable to get the fourth motherboard screw installed, and the board is pulling a bit from the top left corner. I need to take the cooler off, put in the last screw and then try to get it back on... I'll need to evaluate how possible it will actually be.

I moved the SSD from the back of the case to the front as it seemed a little plain down there empty. The front of the case is held on with pegs which you have to pull pretty hard to take off to access the front fans and filter.

I'll remove the top fan and probably tape off the top vent completely next time I take this thing apart as it's kind of pointless with the cooler I have.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Front panel is a bastard to get off, isn't it?
Hah you put a 1080 in it. Nice.

I also used an evga supernova 850, that's passive until it draws ~420w or so, which it won't.

I like the cutout behind the motherboard, I can get to the m2 drive without pulling the board out.

I can't use it yet, lol. My 2700x doesn't arrive until Monday.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 16, 2018

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
My rear nvme might be removable without taking the board out... It's partially obscured though.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

If I didn't have a 3.5inch 4tb HDD at the bottom of my case I would totally get some cable extensions like those. I think they are beautiful looking.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Anyone interested in buying a Taku or a Evolv Shift?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SalTheBard posted:

If I didn't have a 3.5inch 4tb HDD at the bottom of my case I would totally get some cable extensions like those. I think they are beautiful looking.

You can get braided coloured cables made for some psus, straight swap if they're modular.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

SalTheBard posted:

Thanks! They're almost completely unecessary except for the motherboard/cpu power. They do look cool. I never built a case with a color scheme in mind before.

I took the time to do a completed build on pcpartpicker. Couple more pictures and I included every single part I bought and benchmark results! Check it!

https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/edit/?userbuild=cJRJ7P

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Itx: removing the graphics card to reset the CMOS. (No back panel reset button sucks Asrock, you cheap bastards)

I bought 3 jumper cables and made the bios reset remote.

Heres my h200. The be quiet aio is excellent.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 15, 2018

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
the TUBES! What up, H200 brother. or does that one have the fan controller built in?

How's your motherboard temperatures (this is not a real problem)? Seems like the air will be pretty slow and hot with that kind of setup. Full size PSU? Did you take the "filter" off of the grill on the top of the case? Do the hoses fit behind the cable cover? (you can take it off, there is a screw in the middle and one on the top and bottom).

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Sup! this is the h200 without RGB. I only want the Red blinkenlights of the Fury.

Motherboard temps sit at around 40C, CPU idle is 28C - about 65C loaded. This is a 2700x. It was hotter before I added the top exhaust fan with no filter. Both exhaust fans sit around 900rpm.

I'm using an EVGA P2 850 ATX Psu. Unfortunately I can't fit the tubes behind the Red vanity bar.

I'll get some short Red braided replacement PSU cables soon for it, like yours.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 27, 2018

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

You can get braided coloured cables made for some psus, straight swap if they're modular.

Yep! I got a coupon with my motherboard for 20% of cable mod cables.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SalTheBard posted:

Yep! I got a coupon with my motherboard for 20% of cable mod cables.

Totally ideal for MITX.

I had to run 2 x 8 pin VGA power cables and getting them to fit was a bitch. Many cable ties gave their lives :911:
But with these, can choose the length and they're flexible.

https://store.cablemod.com/configurator/

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 18, 2018

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I'm going to be building a new system in an A4 SFX and I wondered if anyone here can clear this up. I've heard people go both ways as far as whether blower or open-air cards are better in that case. Is there any empirical data on which is better?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I can't give you empirical data, but looking at a few builds and the case I think it's a tossup.

A blower will not share any air with the rest of the case in theory, they can be louder. An AIB setup will blow air into the case, but it looks like the processor is very well isolated from the graphics card. Air will also be blowing otu the side of the card straight up to the vented top of the case. I think you need to make sure that you have sufficient clearance, but other than that, look for a good deal.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Blowers are cheaper and easier to fit in (most 3rd party designs for the GTX 1080 Ti use 2.5 or 3 slot coolers which don't fit the A4) which I assume is a big part of why they're used in the A4. They're not necessary for cooling reasons, they actually get hotter and louder, as usual. Since the video card sits next to the side panel with ventilation holes in the A4 (unless you use the window edition), a 2-slot high-end open air card will just blow most of the hot air through those instead of into the case.

The real challenge is going to be the CPU/VRM cooling, though.

orcane fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 19, 2018

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I have a strategy for the CPU. It's not going to be cheap, but it's proven. I'll have to look up the model later but there's a really good copper heatsink that comes with a fan too big for the A4 but with a little jiggery pokery or some 3D printed brackets you can mount a slim noctua fan on it.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
A sort of interesting new ITX case release:

https://smallformfactor.net/reviews/cases/raijinteks-ophion-evo-tempered-glass-rgb-but-sff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swMI93IN9_Y

Basically an A4 with tempered glass sides and double the volume. Much larger but can fit a lot more stuff.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Gangringo posted:

I have a strategy for the CPU. It's not going to be cheap, but it's proven. I'll have to look up the model later but there's a really good copper heatsink that comes with a fan too big for the A4 but with a little jiggery pokery or some 3D printed brackets you can mount a slim noctua fan on it.

Yeah the Thermolab/Cooltek LP53, it has a good heatsink you can use for Intel setups and strap a 15 mm height/90 or 120 mm diameter fan on top. I used zip ties and a Noctua NF-A9x14. Too bad the LP53 doesn't support AM4 CPUs, I really want to put in a Ryzen at some point.

orcane fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 20, 2018

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Llamadeus posted:

Basically an A4 with tempered glass sides and double the volume. Much larger but can fit a lot more stuff.

Why keep the GPU vertical when it's going to get its intake fans choked by the glass panel? :thunk:

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

Why keep the GPU vertical when it's going to get its intake fans choked by the glass panel? :thunk:
There is also an alternative perforated side panel. Though supposedly if you get enough vertical airflow it's fine, the prototype DAN C4 has a similar layout: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/dan-c4-sfx.3345/

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Llamadeus posted:

https://smallformfactor.net/reviews/cases/raijinteks-ophion-evo-tempered-glass-rgb-but-sff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swMI93IN9_Y

I promise that's going to suck on account of the PCI riser. The DAN A4 uses the 3M Twinaxial last I checked, this is using what looks like a Li-Heat shielded riser. The riser is pretty well shielded from outside interference because of the foil covering the ribbon, but the wires in the ribbon itself are not shielded from crosstalk of each other. I own one about that length and while it was "guaranteed" to be PCIe Gen 3 compliant, I had to turn it down to 2.0 in the BIOS to get my GPU to provide an image to the monitor consistently.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Dan is using a Lian-Li riser in the A4 v3, maybe they're different/better now?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
My desktop is in a PC-Q08 and has served me well but it's barely fitting my GTX 670 (had to remove the plastic shrouding) and I'm getting the RTX 2080 in a few weeks so I'm back to re-evaluating my case choice.

I've got a Samuel 17 low profile cooler in the current case with a standard ATX modular PSU that just fits and I'm planning to reuse everything.

My media server is in a node 304 that I'm pretty satisfied with and am considering getting another for my desktop but I've been out of the ITX game for years and am curious if there's better choices.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 30, 2018

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug
Does anyone have experience fitting a three fan GTX 980 like this into a Silverstone ML08-H?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my first SFF build but would like to keep using my old GPU until 10XXs hit firesale prices. Most places say the ML08 can handle most full sized cards but the dimensions for both listed on the retail sites have me worried.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

mkultra419 posted:

Does anyone have experience fitting a three fan GTX 980 like this into a Silverstone ML08-H?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my first SFF build but would like to keep using my old GPU until 10XXs hit firesale prices. Most places say the ML08 can handle most full sized cards but the dimensions for both listed on the retail sites have me worried.

The ML08B-H has a height restriction of 4.78" tall. The Gigabyte is 5.08".

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

SlayVus posted:

The ML08B-H has a height restriction of 4.78" tall. The Gigabyte is 5.08".

This is a picture from OC.N of how a 5.28" high 1080 TI Strix fits inside an ML08 along with some fans installed above it:

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

Mooktastical posted:

This is a picture from OC.N of how a 5.28" high 1080 TI Strix fits inside an ML08 along with some fans installed above it:

Yeah that's what I mean, I've seen a lot of talk online of that case being used for builds that don't make sense based on the rough dimensions given on the retail sites. Based on that I think there is a shot fitting my GTX 980.
Thanks for the follow up.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

mkultra419 posted:

Yeah that's what I mean, I've seen a lot of talk online of that case being used for builds that don't make sense based on the rough dimensions given on the retail sites. Based on that I think there is a shot fitting my GTX 980.

Happy to help. I've got the same case. Once you get it all put together, check your CPU/GPU thermals. The upper compartment doesn't really allow for enough output for a non-blower card, so modding that case has become pretty popular on the aforementioned thread.

Here's my Build, I've put some recommendations in there as well as a quasi-buildlog

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

How insane is it to use a dual fan type of GPU in the Dan Case? I've got the EVGA 2080 on pre-order to go into my ATX build now, but sometime after New Year's I'd like to upgrade my CPU which means a whole new motherboard and I've been wanting to go ITX for a while. Figure I should go all in when I do. If cooling is going to be awful in the Dan Case though, I would consider the Ncase M1. It's not much bigger but it looks like it uses a more traditional layout that would be better for an open fan GPU if I understand correctly?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Humerus posted:

How insane is it to use a dual fan type of GPU in the Dan Case? I've got the EVGA 2080 on pre-order to go into my ATX build now, but sometime after New Year's I'd like to upgrade my CPU which means a whole new motherboard and I've been wanting to go ITX for a while. Figure I should go all in when I do. If cooling is going to be awful in the Dan Case though, I would consider the Ncase M1. It's not much bigger but it looks like it uses a more traditional layout that would be better for an open fan GPU if I understand correctly?
Not at all.

Cards with open air coolers have issues in cases which trap the hot air in compartments with limited or no airflow (eg. the Fractal Define Nano S). This is not the case in the Dan A4 without the window panel - GPU fans will blow most of the hot air out of the side panel ventilation holes (and somewhat heat up the side panel itself).

The main restrictions in the Dan A4 for high-end builds are GPU size (height especially, since many manufacturers use 2.5- or 3-slot open air coolers for their fastest cards) and CPU cooling (because of the 48mm height limit). People put modern 6- and 8-cores in it but they're not boosting as high or for as long as in a bigger case.

orcane fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Sep 4, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Mooktastical posted:

With any of these cases, when you have GPU fans right up against the case vent holes, the cooling is significantly affected, and the noise is greatly amplified too. You should try to stick to situations that give the fans about a centimeter air gap, less than that is bad. It's like night and day with my case's CPU fan, so I leave the side of my case off.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

orcane posted:

Not at all.

Cards with open air coolers have issues in cases which trap the hot air in compartments with limited or no airflow (eg. the Fractal Define Nano S). This is not the case in the Dan A4 without the window panel - GPU fans will blow most of the hot air out of the side panel ventilation holes (and somewhat heat up the side panel itself).

The main restrictions in the Dan A4 for high-end builds are GPU size (height especially, since many manufacturers use 2.5- or 3-slot open air coolers for their fastest cards) and CPU cooling (because of the 48mm height limit). People put modern 6- and 8-cores in it but they're not boosting as high or for as long as in a bigger case.

Sweet. I don't plan to overclock the CPU but I do plan to delid it anyway (or have Silicon Lottery do it more likely) just to help with temps.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

orcane posted:

Not at all.

I've got a 1080ti in mine, which runs at 65ish C stock all day long. I played with dropping the power target it and save a few degrees but it didn't really do all that much. I put a 80mm Noctua in the bottom of my A4 and have it spun up pretty fast via the fan curve to encourage upward movement of air across the back side of the card.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

mkultra419 posted:

I think he's right on this. I think I may have misread SilverStone's websites on the dimensions. Because it looks like from the back that it will support a taller than normal GPU, just not a wider than normal 2-slot card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
I finally got around to buying the insides for the Dan A4 v3 that I pre-ordered back in February and everything looks like it fits fine except when I try to put the side panels on the RAM is about 2mm too tall for the AIO pipes to fit over and the PSU cables stick out about 1mm too far from the bottom of the PSU for the fan to spin and I've managed to snap off two pins from the USB3 header on the motherboard trying to squeeze everything in and I can't decide if I should buy an ITX GPU, ditch the AIO for air cooling, ditch the case for an NCase or invent a time machine so I can go back in time 8 months and repeatedly kick myself in the dick every time I look at the Dan website.