Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

KazigluBey posted:

Anyone know what happened to the Ace Combat Infinity LP? Last post almost makes it sound like someone died or something.

The Infinity LP has been spiked permanently. I just don't feel emotionally comfortable updating it any more, nor do I feel like talking about it at the moment, so that's all I'm going to say on the matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

KazigluBey posted:

Anyone know what happened to the Ace Combat Infinity LP? Last post almost makes it sound like someone died or something.

Crow's closing it because everything I recorded for it is trash and should be burnt.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Is it just me, or you can't see unmarked youtube links in archive screenshot LPs for some reason?

For some example, here:
https://lparchive.org/Fire-Emblem-Radiant-Dawn/Update%2050/

Just after " If you're not Micaiah, then who are you?"

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Looking at the size of the gap when highlighted, that's not a link. It's an embedded video that's not displaying.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah there's definitely supposed to be an embedded "video" there (it's the BGM). I don't know what happened to it.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I noticed that when I was reading Bobbin's Quest for Glory series too.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

It looks like the issue is that the LP Archive is throwing a fit over trying to access YouTube via HTTP instead of HTTPS. Changing it to [url]https://[/url] in the embed appears to fix it, dunno how much of a hassle that would be for baldurk to fix or if it's possible to automate that across the whole site.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
I generally don't allow embeds for this reason. I have it turned off in my forums options when fetching threads, but I guess I didn't for some threads.

I can probably fix it but sorting out tindeck poo poo is more time-sensitive.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

It displays as a regular youtube link in the original thread. Is that what the little video symbol before the link means - that it's supposed to be embedded?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 13, 2018

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Yes, that's what an embedded video looks like with embedding turned off.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

quote:

The Eighth Canticle

Launch Trailer
Cinematic Trailer
Geeks and Sundry Live-Action Trailer

Masquerada: Songs and Shadows is a fantasy CRPG developed by Witching Hour Studios, and published by Ysbryd Games in 2016. The story is set in the Citte della Ombre, pictured above--a place where a good day means only being figuratively stabbed in the back, and where the haves hold themselves above the have-nots with ancient relics called Mascherines: magic masks that command the four elements. It's one of the best games I've played this year, with real-time-with-pause combat that's actually fast-paced and free of bloat, vibrant visuals, a haunting orchestral soundtrack, piles of unique background flavor, a cast of great characters with excellent voice work from most of the usual suspects...just tons and tons of positive critical buzzwords. I've never seen many people talking the game up here, though, so maybe I can help introduce someone to it.

Prologue

I guess my main concern is: is it okay for everything in screenshots to be real real tiny, and for the battle screens to look like incomprehensible rear end

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 15, 2018

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Really Pants posted:

I guess my main concern is: is it okay for everything in screenshots to be real real tiny, and for the battle screens to look like incomprehensible rear end

That's 40 megs of pngs for a single update! Definitely use jpg for this.

The screenshots looks fine to me, but they're a bit bigger than the archive accepts (900px wide) so it wouldn't be a bad idea to shrink them a bit more, or maybe crop the sides a little. You can always crop more selectively if there are parts where you think details may be lost - for instance, in this you could easily take out the border and let the image take more space.

Battle scenes basically always look like incomprehensible rear end in a game like that; I don't think there's much you can do about it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Lowering resolution can often help if text and UI elements end up too small, though I don't know about this game. As for the combat, I'd recommend giving a bit more of an in-depth explanation for the mechanics and actions in the first fight. I at least couldn't really grasp what was happening, which renders the whole update a little hard to follow. You can take a broader approach for later fights when the reader understands what they're seeing and can fill in the gaps themselves.

Also if you can be bothered, maybe throw in the occasional gif to give people an idea of what it looks like in action, make it easier to parse the static images. Small gifs of abilities being used for example.

Aside from what vilkacis mentioned, using imgur as the image host is a little unnecessary since we have lpix for that purpose. As a more minor note, you have some redundant screenshots, especially at the start which pretty much all show the same thing:

quote:

We open on an insurrection in the very heart of the Citte.

An argument that started with a simple "That scarf makes your head look tiny" has snowballed out of control, into a full scale armed uprising.

Bretha, secure the west wing.

I think it'd be more efficient and easier to read like this:

quote:

We open on an insurrection in the very heart of the Citte. An argument that started with a simple "That scarf makes your head look tiny" has snowballed out of control, into a full scale armed uprising.

Save your relief, Amadea, we're not out of the flames yet.

Cyrus, we must keep moving. Bretha, secure the west wing.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Kanfy's post has also demonstrated why you maybe shouldn't use Imgur for good measure. :v:

acidia
Oct 31, 2012
Looking at doing a run of the Cataclysm: DDA experimental. It's a ascii game that has developed a tile set but is still text heavy. Not sure how to effectively display a giant menu full of text into a picture with a max width of 900px.
Image format testing

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta crop the individual parts of the menu into separate images. Since they're presumably always in the same spots, you can use IrfanView to just punch in the same numbers and batch crop them instead of doing it manually each time.

Also consider what's actually interesting and relevant, the reader doesn't necessarily need a complete breakdown of every detailed stat in an item and is unlikely to bother reading them after the first one. It's often better to give a brief description yourself.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 15, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

vilkacis posted:

That's 40 megs of pngs for a single update! Definitely use jpg for this.

The screenshots looks fine to me, but they're a bit bigger than the archive accepts (900px wide) so it wouldn't be a bad idea to shrink them a bit more, or maybe crop the sides a little. You can always crop more selectively if there are parts where you think details may be lost - for instance, in this you could easily take out the border and let the image take more space.

Battle scenes basically always look like incomprehensible rear end in a game like that; I don't think there's much you can do about it.

Here's another attempt, now with 900px jpegs on LPix.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Really Pants posted:

Here's another attempt, now with 900px jpegs on LPix.

I think it looks pretty good. The images are still rather heavy, though - you could definitely stand to compress them a little more. This is saved at 90 quality in irfanview, and it's ~1/3 the size of the original image without looking noticeably worse.

acidia
Oct 31, 2012
Final-ish first post. Look good enough?
Cataclysm: DDA

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Anyone have any input on how to stylize subtitles for different situations?
I have at least four different types of things going on in this one video.

-News broadcast over unrelated footage.
-Present time dialogue.
-Internal dialogue.
-Flashback dialogue.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Jamesman posted:

-Present time dialogue.
-Internal dialogue.
-Flashback dialogue.

Personally, I'd go:
Italics
No Styling
In Parentheses
Italics

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jamesman posted:

-Present time dialogue.
-Internal dialogue.
-Flashback dialogue.

ChorpSaway posted:

Personally, I'd go:
Italics
No Styling
In Parentheses
Italics

I'd go with this, though I'd also suggest offsetting the newscaster and other such "off screen" dialog with a different colour from the regular text too. Like white for normal dialog, and yellow for stuff that's being heard over a TV or radio or if the speaker is otherwise not actually physically present in the scene.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Sounds like a good plan. Thanks for the input!

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
I believe I got all the tindeck audio backed up from archived LPs this weekend. They're available on lpix with a substitution of https://tindeck.com/listen/<id here>https://lpix.org/tindeck/<id here>. So for example https://lpix.org/tindeck/gpqj.

About 100 files have been deleted from tindeck, not much I can do about that, but there's ~9500 that seem to have fetched fine.

I'm going to double check I've got everything now and then replace the links in archived LPs sometime soon. If anyone wants me to backup any tindeck links in LPs that are still live then please email admin@lparchive.org with the subject "Tindeck backup" and with a list of tindeck URLs you want me to fetch & store in the text of the email. I'll run the script on any I get and they'll be available the same way as above.

Note though I'm not going to mirror/regenerate the image link things. Archived LPs already have them fetched, but live LPs are on their own. I'll sort out some kind of substitute for future archiving of LPs with any tindeck links that didn't get fetched.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

baldurk posted:

I believe I got all the tindeck audio backed up from archived LPs this weekend. They're available on lpix with a substitution of https://tindeck.com/listen/<id here>https://lpix.org/tindeck/<id here>. So for example https://lpix.org/tindeck/gpqj.

About 100 files have been deleted from tindeck, not much I can do about that, but there's ~9500 that seem to have fetched fine.

I'm going to double check I've got everything now and then replace the links in archived LPs sometime soon. If anyone wants me to backup any tindeck links in LPs that are still live then please email admin@lparchive.org with the subject "Tindeck backup" and with a list of tindeck URLs you want me to fetch & store in the text of the email. I'll run the script on any I get and they'll be available the same way as above.

Note though I'm not going to mirror/regenerate the image link things. Archived LPs already have them fetched, but live LPs are on their own. I'll sort out some kind of substitute for future archiving of LPs with any tindeck links that didn't get fetched.

We don't deserve you.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

baldurk posted:

:worship:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Thank you very much!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Going above and beyond as always.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

baldurk posted:

:eyepop: You do a lot for the archive, and for that, we thank you!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

What's a good tindeck replacement?

Now I feel bad about being annoyed with everyone who used lovely tindeck replacements in their LPs. Might take longer to load, but at least their links won't be gone by the end of the month.

SilverFire
Dec 31, 2012
I'm thinking about starting an LP. Could someone give thoughts about the audio for this: ?

Never mind. I had more issues than I thought for that video.

SilverFire fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 16, 2018

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

baldurk posted:

Holy poo poo, you're awesome.

On an unrelated note, got a donation link? genuinely unrelated, I wanted to throw some money your way for some time

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

What's a good tindeck replacement?

Now I feel bad about being annoyed with everyone who used lovely tindeck replacements in their LPs. Might take longer to load, but at least their links won't be gone by the end of the month.

lparchive can host MP3s if they aren't too big; I forget what the size limit is. There's no player widget, but if I recall correctly most browsers should have a built-in MP3 decoder so you don't have to save the file to disk to listen to it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Pierzak posted:

Holy poo poo, you're awesome.

On an unrelated note, got a donation link? genuinely unrelated, I wanted to throw some money your way for some time
Yeah, I was a bit concerned when I saw on twitter that the ad support partner wasn't going to be available anymore. Honestly I probably would object to a lparchive patreon or something if that would ever help.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

discworld is all I read posted:

Yeah, I was a bit concerned when I saw on twitter that the ad support partner wasn't going to be available anymore. Honestly I probably would object to a lparchive patreon or something if that would ever help.

Same.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
What's going on? Project Wonderful won't place ads with lparchive anymore?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Project Wonderful itself is dead, or at least they've announced it'll die soon.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

They're shutting down.
https://www.projectwonderful.com/thanks.php

:rip: The only good ad network. :smith:

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

lparchive can host MP3s if they aren't too big; I forget what the size limit is. There's no player widget, but if I recall correctly most browsers should have a built-in MP3 decoder so you don't have to save the file to disk to listen to it.

There's an <audio> embed if you just go to the file's page: https://lpix.org/2541457/Maid%20with%20the%20Flaxen%20Hair.mp3

quote:

.. Project Wonderful ..

Yeh it sucks :(. I'm not going to replace it since there's no other good ad network anymore. The archive will be fine though, no need to worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What's a good replacement if you have an MP3 that's bigger than what Lpix supports? I'm trying to upload some songs for an LP revival, but it goes over the lpix size.
I suppose Youtube or something (and hope it doesn't violate copyrights)

Geemer posted:

They're shutting down.
https://www.projectwonderful.com/thanks.php

:rip: The only good ad network. :smith:

Man that's a depressing read and the only logical conclusion about how the big boys are trying to section of large pieces of internet. :(