Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I made some pickles by boiling water/vinegar and pouring it into a mason jar with vegetables (cauliflower, beets, jalapeños). They sat for a few hours and then I refrigerated them, where they've been since.

Two days later, I notice of the jars didn't seal correctly. Safe to eat or no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

PRADA SLUT posted:

I made some pickles by boiling water/vinegar and pouring it into a mason jar with vegetables (cauliflower, beets, jalapeños). They sat for a few hours and then I refrigerated them, where they've been since.

Apparently the salt and acid does a great job of keeping things fine for a while. The sources I read seem to agree you can pickle like that and it's safe for a month or so, gotta can it properly if it's going to be months and months.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Extremely yes.

Outrail posted:

Apparently the salt and acid does a great job of keeping things fine for a while. The sources I read seem to agree you can pickle like that and it's safe for a month or so, gotta can it properly if it's going to be months and months.
A bunch of veg in vinegar sitting in a fridge is almost certainly going to get gross before it gets dangerous. Proper canning is what you need to do when you want a jar of stuff to be shelf stable at room temperature. Assuming your fridge is functioning correctly and your pickling solution isn't too weak you can make quick pickles in delitainer and it'll stay edible for longer than it'll stay palatable.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I make pickled onions by boiling apple cider vinegar and pouring it over red onion cut into rings/chunks with whole mustard seeds.

They're good after 30 minutes, but they're AMAZING after ~3 days. They turn kinda hot pink and taste amazing. Great on sandwiches, tacos, crackers, or just on their own.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Annath posted:

I make pickled onions by boiling apple cider vinegar and pouring it over red onion cut into rings/chunks with whole mustard seeds.

They're good after 30 minutes, but they're AMAZING after ~3 days. They turn kinda hot pink and taste amazing. Great on sandwiches, tacos, crackers, or just on their own.

I have some pickled red onion that've been in there for almost a year. They're falling apart, but they still find their way onto tacos and such.

I think it's possible for them to go bad if you add too much water, but I couldn't say what the magic ratio would be. If you're mostly vinegar you'll be fine, and as SubG says you'll balk at the texture going to mush before they start going actually bad. Of course, if any stick to the side of the jar above the water level so they're not submerged, that's a different story.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

BrianBoitano posted:

I have some pickled red onion that've been in there for almost a year. They're falling apart, but they still find their way onto tacos and such.

I think it's possible for them to go bad if you add too much water, but I couldn't say what the magic ratio would be. If you're mostly vinegar you'll be fine, and as SubG says you'll balk at the texture going to mush before they start going actually bad. Of course, if any stick to the side of the jar above the water level so they're not submerged, that's a different story.

Why would you add water???

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I wouldn't. That said:

PRADA SLUT posted:

Also, my wife has made half-fermented pickles before by doing some ratio of vinegar to water and letting it develop lacto bacteria on the counter, covered in cheese cloth to keep critters out. Turned out decent. Not as good as real fermented pickles (only salt and water, more finicky) but a decent product.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Annath posted:

Why would you add water???
Quick/refrigerator pickles are often made with 1:1 vinegar to water. Main reason is to make a pickle whose flavour isn't dominated by the vinegar. Like if you're making pickled carrot and daikon for garnishing banh mì you'd go with a pickling solution that's at that ratio or even weaker because you want the veg to taste more fresh than tart.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What else is good to do lazy pickles? I've done beets, radishes, cucumbers, cauliflower, carrots, beans. Anything unusual vegetables?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I bet asparagus, pearl onions, and whole cloves of garlic would be good. Basically anything you’d think to try in a Bloody Mary.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Lawnie posted:

I bet asparagus, pearl onions, and whole cloves of garlic would be good. Basically anything you’d think to try in a Bloody Mary.

I'm not pickling jerky strips.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I really like ripping a green cabbage into hunks and either just salting and fermenting or mixing into a quick vinegar brine. A day or two to chill and it's nice and crunchy and sour and salty and delicious. Great palate cleanser for fatty or spicy foods.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

SubG posted:

Quick/refrigerator pickles are often made with 1:1 vinegar to water. Main reason is to make a pickle whose flavour isn't dominated by the vinegar. Like if you're making pickled carrot and daikon for garnishing banh mì you'd go with a pickling solution that's at that ratio or even weaker because you want the veg to taste more fresh than tart.

Yeah but onions have plenty of water in them already, I just toss red onions julienne in sugar and salt and wait about half an hour, then add a little lime juice and rice vinegar to cover. By the next day they're neon pink and delicious.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

PRADA SLUT posted:

What else is good to do lazy pickles? I've done beets, radishes, cucumbers, cauliflower, carrots, beans. Anything unusual vegetables?

Pickled okra! Not unusual where I'm from, but it's not in your list.

Yellow squash is good pickled too.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Green tomatoes although it's a fruit.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sliced bread

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Not ‘unusual’ per se, but I’ve also done lazy pickles with celery, turnips (the little white Japanese ones ideally), bamboo shoot, ginger, chiles, red or white onion. I like pickled hearty greens. Pickled mushrooms are good too if that wasn’t mentioned already.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I’ve got a bundle of golden cayenne peppers grown in my garden. If i wanted to make homemade cayenne powder, do I just need to dry the peppers then grind in a mortar? I’ve got a dehydrator I can employ, which I figure is common?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
So I bought some satsuma age (basically little fried cakes of fish paste) to put in my ramen and udon. I absolutely love them when I go out to eat noodles, but haven't ever used them when making noodle dishes at home. I know I can just put them in when the noodles are about done and let them boil for a minute or so. But would they be better pan-fried (I prefer doing that with gyoza) or maybe steamed and added afterward?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Lawnie posted:

I’ve got a bundle of golden cayenne peppers grown in my garden. If i wanted to make homemade cayenne powder, do I just need to dry the peppers then grind in a mortar? I’ve got a dehydrator I can employ, which I figure is common?

I don't do much of that but a mate of mine has something like ten jars of different peppers and pepper combos.

Either dehydrate then and grind in a mortar (or coffee grinder?) like you said, or better yet smoke em first if you have the equipment. .

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

I don't do much of that but a mate of mine has something like ten jars of different peppers and pepper combos.

Either dehydrate then and grind in a mortar (or coffee grinder?) like you said, or better yet smoke em first if you have the equipment. .

To the smoking thread it is, although I’ll take advice here too!

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Harissa is so loving good you guys

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Bluedeanie posted:

Harissa is so loving good you guys

Does she have a sister?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is there a tool I can use to slice carrots, beets, potatoes etc. to a uniform thinness?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is there a tool I can use to slice carrots, beets, potatoes etc. to a uniform thinness?
Yeah it's called a mandoline. Another option is a knife.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Get yourself a Benriner mandoline and rejoice in the thinnest and most uniform of slicing. And don't worry, the sliced finger the first time you use it is just the mandoline exacting its blood tribute.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Like others have said, get a mandolin. Like others should have said, use a guard.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I find mandoline guards difficult to use, so I recommend instead that you grab a pair of cut proof gloves.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

guards and gloves are clumsy as hell in my experience, learn to use a side towel

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I do no guard until it's 3 inches or shorter, since that's easier to grab with the guard

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Or just give the blood god it's due

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Just pay attention and don't go at turbo speed and you'll be fine. I've never seen someone get cut using a mandoline properly.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I have an unopened lemon pepper marinade sauce that has been sitting in my cabinet possibly for more than 3 years. I see no expiration date on it (WTF). Is it good or will i get sick using this?

I want to marinade some chicken breasts in my foodsaver vacuum marinade box and broil the chickens later.

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 14, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Mister Fister posted:

I have an unopened lemon pepper marinade sauce that has been sitting in my cabinet possibly for more than 3 years. I see no expiration date on it (WTF). Is it good or will i get sick using this?

I want to marinade some chicken breasts in my foodsaver vacuum marinade box and broil the chickens later.

I feel like if the sauce went bad it would have produced gas and inflated the packet

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A mandolins will thirst until you feed it.

It will still thirst after that too, but you’ll be more careful.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
I need a recommendation for a good home baking cookbook. I wanna learn how to bake breads and rolls and poo poo. Also would accept a good Chinese cookbook.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Captainsalami posted:

I need a recommendation for a good home baking cookbook. I wanna learn how to bake breads and rolls and poo poo. Also would accept a good Chinese cookbook.
For baking there are lots of options depending on how hardcore you want to be. Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice is a tremendous book if you want something pretty sophisticated but not like, insane.

For Chinese, all of Fuschia Dunlop's books are wonderful.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah be careful with mandolins. I had never used one and I wanted to slice some turnips real thin so I used one and thought "hah all these scrubs getting cut on mandolins, I'm too good to get cut!" and sure enough I cut my finger on the drat thing.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The first step in using a mandolin wrong is thinking that you can use it right.
The second step is blood. So is every other step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Mister Fister posted:

Open it - no puff of foul air?
Proceed to...
Sniff cautiously - if it smells ok, have a taste.
I've noticed that lemon fades away out of things; even if the base mix is still basically edible, it might not worth wasting new ingredients on it just to use it up.

edit: Mandolines are mean and spiteful, you should just get better with knives because knives are good and fun.