Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Edit: nevermind it's not worth catching a probation

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

Not having a wire going from your ears to some other part of your body (pocket, arm, waist), getting tangled up in just about everything when you move around, is a godsend.

How do you go outside

LastInLine posted:

Oh they're also better, I'm right about that too, I just meant in addition to wired headphones being inconvenient it turns out they will also be useless.

Honestly I don't care whether removing the headphone jack makes phones thinner or waterproof or cheaper to make or any of that, I just like that it bothers people who want one, dragging them kicking and screaming into a future they fear and distrust.

buying $200 headphones to own the libs

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Planes with WiFi obviously allow RF radiation, but otherwise Bluetooth is technically banned in flight isn't it? So while your Bose cans have a minijack input, it's no good if the phone has no output.

Possible solution: transfer audio signals through 99 ml of liquid.

(Posting from a boarding plane with no minijack cable.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No, Bluetooth is not banned in flight.

quote:

Cell phones should be in airplane mode or with cellular service disabled – i.e., no signal bars displayed—and cannot be used for voice communications based on FCC regulations that prohibit any airborne calls using cell phones.    If your air carrier provides Wi-Fi service during flight, you may use those services.  You can also continue to use short-range Bluetooth accessories, like wireless keyboards.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ok. I've seen someone get told to pack their headphones down, but it was a few years ago and the policy seems to change all the time or vary between airlines. We'll see how it goes for me!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I have a bluetooth reciever with a headphone jack, so my phone can stay in my bag/bike pounch while I go around, and it was an ideal situation because when it died, I could just plug it in and go on my way. Now, though, I have to carry a pixel dongle, and there's a 1 in 2 chance it won't work each time I plug it in. I even had Google replace it, but it still barely works. It's a huge hassle. I'd take the 1mm of phone+battery to have the headphone jack back.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have a bluetooth reciever with a headphone jack, so my phone can stay in my bag/bike pounch while I go around, and it was an ideal situation because when it died, I could just plug it in and go on my way. Now, though, I have to carry a pixel dongle, and there's a 1 in 2 chance it won't work each time I plug it in. I even had Google replace it, but it still barely works. It's a huge hassle. I'd take the 1mm of phone+battery to have the headphone jack back.

I was going to wade in about my new Pixel 2 and turns out a(nother) headphone war is brewing!

After a few hours I was thinking it's the best phone for me other than missing the headphone port. #donglelife for me!

Plug them in today, earbuds work, pause to talk to a coworker, and audio plays from the speakers instead when I try to resume. Dunno what finally did it between flipping apps, pausing, unplugging, etc, but eventually worked again until I paused again.

Guess I'm using the Bluetooth set I have, hoping they don't run out of juice before the end of the day and that I remember to plug in another drat device at night and I remember to pack them in the morning.

Does anyone make Bluetooth headphones for working out that let you hear ambient noise? I hate biking with earbuds cause I can't hear cars as well.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Uthor posted:

I was going to wade in about my new Pixel 2 and turns out a(nother) headphone war is brewing!

After a few hours I was thinking it's the best phone for me other than missing the headphone port. #donglelife for me!

Plug them in today, earbuds work, pause to talk to a coworker, and audio plays from the speakers instead when I try to resume. Dunno what finally did it between flipping apps, pausing, unplugging, etc, but eventually worked again until I paused again.

Guess I'm using the Bluetooth set I have, hoping they don't run out of juice before the end of the day and that I remember to plug in another drat device at night and I remember to pack them in the morning.

Does anyone make Bluetooth headphones for working out that let you hear ambient noise? I hate biking with earbuds cause I can't hear cars as well.

I have been enjoying these TaoTronics:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075SYJCQN/

The ear hook buds stay in place without being uncomfortable, and they allow ambient noise (a drawback sometimes on the train, but usually I prefer it for safety)

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Uthor posted:

Wirecutter has an article on headphones for running, specifically focusing on ones that allow in outside noise (as well as staying in, sweat proof, etc). I can't vouch for any of their picks (I'm not a runner or biker), but it's a place to start.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-running-headphones/

Also some of the newer fully wireless buds have the option to use external mics and pipe in outside noise. I know the Jabra 65t can do that. It can be switched on and off in an app.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Cool, thanks.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Rastor posted:

I have been enjoying these TaoTronics:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075SYJCQN/

The ear hook buds stay in place without being uncomfortable, and they allow ambient noise (a drawback sometimes on the train, but usually I prefer it for safety)

For what it's worth, I have these and can't stand them. The part that goes into your ear is way too heavy to be comfortable, and the off-center volume control unit on the side of the cord makes it impossible to run with these without the weight of it pulling that earbud out of your ear.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Uthor posted:

Bone conducting ones like the Aftershokz Trekz are basically perfect for this since they don't block your ear canal at all. Definitely try a display model in a store if you can though because they sit a little differently and there's a price premium over generic buds.

The Wirecutter article linked above was unhappy with the sound quality but I've been perfectly satisfied with the quality on mine, maybe it depends on what kind of stuff you're listening to. :shrug:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

The Zolo Liberty+'s do this, but the shortcut is a three second press on the button which doesn't work reliably. You can toggle it in the app as well. In use it works surprisingly well, with everything going on clearly audible and the music comfortably in the background.

loquacius posted:

buying $200 headphones to own the libs

To be fair, I was buying $200 corded headphones as well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Uthor posted:

I'm always confused when conversations like these get characterized like this.

Are people so removed from the idea of conversing with people who have differing viewpoints that any such discussion is a fight or a war?

People will have different ideas or preferences than you, don't get mad about it. Particularly when everyone involved has literal zero power to make any policy changes at phone manufacturers.

(Not picking on you Uthor)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

MC Hawking posted:

Edit: nevermind it's not worth catching a probation

If this was disagreeing with a mod, you don't get probate for that.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

I just feel like if you're gonna ditch the jack, you should unfuck your Bluetooth stack first

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

loquacius posted:

How do you go outside

What do you mean?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Doctor Butts posted:

What do you mean?

He's saying that anyone who can't handle cords must not have the ability to handle the complex task of going outside.

It's a weird thing to say, but he said it!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Doctor Butts posted:

What do you mean?

He, like the rest of us, pictured you tangled up in the phone cord Mr. Magoo style and wondered how you survive in the world.

I'm going to laugh when next year the only android flagship with a sd slot, headphone jack and no notch will be from Samsung of all companies.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

SuperiorColliculus posted:

I just feel like if you're gonna ditch the jack, you should unfuck your Bluetooth stack first

"Don't ditch jack if you can't unfuck the stack."

I'd vote for anyone who made that campaign promise.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

zer0spunk posted:

He, like the rest of us, pictured you tangled up in the phone cord Mr. Magoo style and wondered how you survive in the world.

I'm going to laugh when next year the only android flagship with a sd slot, headphone jack and no notch will be from Samsung of all companies.

I would wear wired buds while doing yard work, it would get caught up in stuff while I move/bend over/whatever. If I route the wire under my shirt, sometimes it would get caught a bit and pull on my ears.

Also, they're a real pain in the rear end when you're working out.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

incogneato posted:

Wirecutter has an article on headphones for running, specifically focusing on ones that allow in outside noise (as well as staying in, sweat proof, etc). I can't vouch for any of their picks (I'm not a runner or biker), but it's a place to start.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-running-headphones/

Also some of the newer fully wireless buds have the option to use external mics and pipe in outside noise. I know the Jabra 65t can do that. It can be switched on and off in an app.

Backbeat Fits (as recommended there) are awesome. I loved the old models (903+), but they would always break after 6 months or so. I've had my 1 set of fits for 2 years of basically daily use and they're still going strong. I use them biking, running, and in the office.

I bike as my main source of transportation. They definitely block sound somewhat, but not nearly as much as normal ear buds. I am pretty paranoid about getting hit, and I can hear fine with them in.

The sound quality is pretty good. Not amazing, but good enough.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is there a faster/easier way to check/set showing sensitive on the lock screen? I seem to remember just having a list of apps and if they show all the I for or not. Since setting up my new phone, all I could find was opening the notifications of every app and digging a couple of menus deep. Now I'm slightly paranoid that I missed some app.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

Is there a faster/easier way to check/set showing sensitive on the lock screen? I seem to remember just having a list of apps and if they show all the I for or not. Since setting up my new phone, all I could find was opening the notifications of every app and digging a couple of menus deep. Now I'm slightly paranoid that I missed some app.

Settings, search for Lock screen preferences > On the lock screen > Hide sensitive notification content?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Settings, search for Lock screen preferences > On the lock screen > Hide sensitive notification content?

That hides content for ALL apps, which I don't want, either.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
I can't seem to find anything else even mentioning this anywhere else, so I figure I'll try here- I have a Galaxy S6 running android 5.0.2. The base samsung keyboard it comes with has an autocorrect function which, if you hit backspace immediately after the autocorrect changes a word, will revert it to what you originally typed. Recently I've had to use a Galaxy J3 running 7.0 and it doesn't do this and it's driving me a bit nuts. I can't find any setting on either phone that affects this at all, just to turn the autocorrect on and off entirely. Is that just something that doesn't exist anymore?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Zeth posted:

I can't seem to find anything else even mentioning this anywhere else, so I figure I'll try here- I have a Galaxy S6 running android 5.0.2. The base samsung keyboard it comes with has an autocorrect function which, if you hit backspace immediately after the autocorrect changes a word, will revert it to what you originally typed. Recently I've had to use a Galaxy J3 running 7.0 and it doesn't do this and it's driving me a bit nuts. I can't find any setting on either phone that affects this at all, just to turn the autocorrect on and off entirely. Is that just something that doesn't exist anymore?

That's default behavior for Gboard

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

That hides content for ALL apps, which I don't want, either.

Those are your two options, either hide the content on all apps or go through each one, one by one, examining their notification channels for what you don't want to appear. Like you, I can't imagine why Google doesn't have a switch on the main page for "Set all options the way I want" but they don't.

e: Actually I went looking for this switch just this morning in Chrome for my Tab 10. I tried using the Hangouts Chrome extension on it but the on screen keyboard covered up the text field so I couldn't see what I was typing (at this point remember that the keyboard also does random capitalization and spacing and is generally unusable). So I turned that off in the settings which turned it off on my Mac.

So I tried installing the Chrome app which is deprecated on desktop but it still synced anyway, even though you can't actually install Chrome apps anymore. Apparently anyone who wants Chrome apps can get them by installing them on Chrome OS and they'll sync over... (which I might do because the Keep app is way more convenient than a Keep tab.)

The Android Hangouts worked but only displayed in phone layout and so the text was unreadable.

So I had to turn off Sync Everything and go through and pick what I wanted to sync (including the settings themselves, on all devices, or they would sync back to syncing everything). At one point I legitimately wondered why Google couldn't just have a setting for "The way I want".

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 12, 2018

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord

sourdough posted:

That's default behavior for Gboard

Sweet, thanks. Wonder why they dropped that from the basic one, it was great.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Got a new phone, it's on Android 8.0 with a manufacturer skin. Google Now Launcher is flagged as incompatible with my device. :shepicide:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

isndl posted:

Got a new phone, it's on Android 8.0 with a manufacturer skin. Google Now Launcher is flagged as incompatible with my device. :shepicide:

the hell kind of phone is it lol

isndl
May 2, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

the hell kind of phone is it lol

Sharp S3 Aquos High Edition. Turns out it's not just me though, Google Now Launcher is dead for everyone. Time to look for a new launcher I guess.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

isndl posted:

Sharp S3 Aquos High Edition. Turns out it's not just me though, Google Now Launcher is dead for everyone. Time to look for a new launcher I guess.

Just get Nova launcher.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

isndl posted:

Huh, I wouldn't have expected it from Sharp, even if phones aren't their main gig it isn't like they're some no-name company with no background in the field.

I was thinking maybe the holding company that owns the Kodak brand wanted to own it a little harder by slapping it on some after-hours Shenzhen factory direct jokephone.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

FAUXTON posted:

Huh, I wouldn't have expected it from Sharp, even if phones aren't their main gig it isn't like they're some no-name company with no background in the field.

I was thinking maybe the holding company that owns the Kodak brand wanted to own it a little harder by slapping it on some after-hours Shenzhen factory direct jokephone.

This has nothing to do with it being a phone from Sharp. The Google Now Launcher has been dead for awhile now.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Just get Nova launcher.

This is the correct answer.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This has nothing to do with it being a phone from Sharp. The Google Now Launcher has been dead for awhile now.

Oh, I must be out of date on the name since I was assuming that's the stock launcher. Is it just all called the Pixel Launcher now or something?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

Oh, I must be out of date on the name since I was assuming that's the stock launcher. Is it just all called the Pixel Launcher now or something?
There is no stock launcher as such. The Pixel phones have the Pixel launcher which updates via Play but isn't installable on other devices:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.nexuslauncher&rdid=com.google.android.apps.nexuslauncher

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
There are some alternatives to the Pixel launcher though. Lawnchair Launcher and Lean Launcher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rastor posted:

If there's anyone here who doesn't have a Pixel or Moto phone, and wants that stock Google launcher experience, there's Rootless Pixel Launcher:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/7sxe7a/rootless_pixel_launcher_30_based_on_aosp_81/