Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Y'all need to unionize and stop embracing the late-stage capitalistic dogma if you believe "being rude to a customer" is a fireable offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

In any job you would be fired if you were rude to your clients.

that's not true

Serf
May 5, 2011

just lmao if your response to a worker being rude isn't "yeah, i've been there too"

solidarity

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
if you think being mean on twitter is a good reason to lose your job then you suck

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah kamiya is one of the founders of platinum studios i doubt he'd fire himself over his twitter decorum

i think the best you could hope for is one of platinum's publishers taking enough issue with it that it threatens the cash flow

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I don't mean to imply that I think it's good to fire a worker for losing their cool on a customer, just that it'd probably happen to me, too, and I suspect it isn't uncommon. That's not a defense of ArenaNet, per se, but just to say that I'm sure ArenaNet's not the only place where this would happen and the whole industry needs to take a look at how loving fragile they treat their customers as if this is the kind of thing you'd get fired over.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

that said being mean to lovely people on twitter is life and arenanet is a bad company for firing someone for pr reasons over it

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The thing nobody focuses on in the Arenanet story is that she was encouraged by the company to engage with the player base in a direct and snippy way. Her behavior was tolerated and praised by the company. The problem is that the person she was "rude" to was a paid sponsor and friend of the CEO who didn't like it and got her fired, despite her tweet conversation being no more aggressive than the stuff she had made since day one.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

al-azad posted:

The thing nobody focuses on in the Arenanet story is that she was encouraged by the company to engage with the player base in a direct and snippy way. Her behavior was tolerated and praised by the company. The problem is that the person she was "rude" to was a paid sponsor and friend of the CEO who didn't like it and got her fired, despite her tweet conversation being no more aggressive than the stuff she had made since day one.

Yeah, that's the other thing.

Really I think the biggest factor isn't even specifically who she was talking to. It was the fact that he's well-known enough that the GW2 subreddit caught on and went nuts over it (and doing that drew in other shitheads). If that part hadn't happened maybe she'd get a reprimand but I bet ArenaNet wouldn't have even noticed unless Deroir complained directly, and as far as I can tell he didn't do that (and didn't want Price fired). It was completely the brigading that got Price and Fries fired, or at least that's how it looks from here, and that's an awful goddamn precedent to set.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oh yeah, someone got dragged along with it for defending her. That's the topping on the poo poo Sunday and a hallmark of an overbearing boss and crappy company.

Serf
May 5, 2011

imagine letting a subreddit dictate who is allowed to work for you lol

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I still have no clue why they fired the other guy. Like I can understand their twisted logic with Price cuz she said a naughty word to an ~influencer~ but the other guy did literally nothing objectionable.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I really hate how most news places are laser-focused on whether or not she was an rear end in a top hat like its the metric people should be fired by

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

In any job you would be fired if you were rude to your clients. And didn't the Arenanet CEO give her a chance to apologize but she refused?

This is not necessarily true and still wouldn't make it okay if it was.

Serf
May 5, 2011

"oh no y'all, the website for the literal dregs of humanity is mad at us!"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

In any job you would be fired if you were rude to your clients. And didn't the Arenanet CEO give her a chance to apologize but she refused?

No, according to Price she was called directly into the CEO's office, he yelled at her, and then the HR rep started the termination process. She didn't get a chance to discuss anything and her direct reporting supervisor was on vacation at the time

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

And this.

workers shouldn't have rights because their CEO deigned to hire them

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

No, according to Price she was called directly into the CEO's office, he yelled at her, and then the HR rep started the termination process. She didn't get a chance to discuss anything and her direct reporting supervisor was on vacation at the time

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

corn in the bible posted:

workers shouldn't have rights because their CEO deigned to hire them

This is what I said. :rolleyes:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
when people get fired for unionizing there's always that one guy who smugly says "they should have known better" l

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Maybe its just the company culture to weirdly overreact and the CEO didnt want to be one-upped by an employee calling someone a rando asshat for criticizing her work. Excellent power play.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

We should decide CEOs based on sortition. The fairest method.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Anyways Im glad for confirmation that, once again, final fantasy 14 is the superior mmorpg

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Everyone pool your money, if we become NCSOFT's majority shareholder we can force a CEO replacement. They're also worth a billion dollars so there's that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MMF Freeway posted:

I still have no clue why they fired the other guy. Like I can understand their twisted logic with Price cuz she said a naughty word to an ~influencer~ but the other guy did literally nothing objectionable.

The thing with said influencer is that he is a nobody with 7k subscribers on only Youtube. He is completely irrelevant.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I said come in! posted:

The thing with said influencer is that he is a nobody with 7k subscribers on only Youtube. He is completely irrelevant.

All 7,000 of them must be members of that subreddit and they made enough noise.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I'm working at a Special Olympics event this morning and a kid is telling anyone he can find that Waluigi isn't in Smash. It rules.

Serf
May 5, 2011

al-azad posted:

Everyone pool your money, if we become NCSOFT's majority shareholder we can force a CEO replacement. They're also worth a billion dollars so there's that.

seize the means of production

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Heartcatch posted:

We should decide CEOs based on sortition. The fairest method.

I legit believe in allocating political power through sortition

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

al-azad posted:

All 7,000 of them must be members of that subreddit and they made enough noise.

Yeah basically

Honestly it doesn't take the GW2 "community" long to get rolling if they smell an "SJW." For a relatively chill MMO it attracts a lot of extremely unchill people who tend to be regressive shitheads, though I guess that's just self-identified gamers in general. Even if just a couple of Deroir's subscribers took issue to Price's response to him and posted about it on the GW2 subreddit, that's enough to set the whole thing off and suddenly everyone loves Deroir, everyone's a big fan and personally insulted by this treatment, etc.

Fries got fired because he stepped into the fray and became a target himself. I think the fact that he also got fired highlights that this was never about what Price tweeted at/about Deroir--it was about appeasing the raging mob.

Side note but my own take is that almost every online game "community" is a hotbed of toxicity and idiocy and it's best not to engage beyond meaningless platitudes. Any time I see someone upset about a game studio not "engaging with the community" I'm just like "can you really blame them?"

When a company like ArenaNet encourages its employees to "engage with the community," they need to accept--really accept, not just pretend to accept--that most of those employees are not PR professionals and never signed up to do PR. They will likely respond as one person talking to another person and not as a PR mouthpiece, especially on their personal social media accounts. It's one thing to host AMAs or whatever, those are generally monitored by PR anyway and take place in a semi-controlled environment, but to expect your employees to be on the clock for PR at all times and everywhere is loving nuts.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 12, 2018

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

This has absolutely nothing to do with the person she was talking to, people were looking for a reason to burn Price.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Harrow posted:

When a company like ArenaNet encourages its employees to "engage with the community," they need to accept--really accept, not just pretend to accept--that most of those employees are not PR professionals and never signed up to do PR.

They dont need to accept this at all because they can just fire people with impunity

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Control Volume posted:

They dont need to accept this at all because they can just fire people with impunity

Obviously I didn't mean in practical reality, I meant "if you don't want to be a piece of poo poo company whose employees keep their jobs only at the pleasure of random players"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Whoever recommended Sam Neill's twitter was pro-tier, old dude just makes wine and takes pictures of sheep in New Zealand.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Harrow posted:

Obviously I didn't mean in practical reality, I meant "if you don't want to be a piece of poo poo company whose employees keep their jobs only at the pleasure of random players"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnsiZOJjfUg

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

al-azad posted:

IIRC, Arena.Net bought the publishing rights for Guild Wars 1 & 2 through the help of Nexon and other investors back in 2015 while remaining a subsidiary of NCSoft. Supposedly, the publisher downsized their North American operations after the failure of games like Wildstar and looked towards a different business model with developers self-publishing. Furthermore, NCSoft makes money by renting the servers to the developer and has a cut of microtransactions. They could probably go fully independent if they find more angel investors.

It's a very confusing arrangement and someone else might know more about the setup.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/kcgreenn/status/1017445728317333506

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

an actual dog posted:

This has absolutely nothing to do with the person she was talking to, people were looking for a reason to burn Price.

Price was already on the hit lists people were making after TotalBiscuit died, back then there were already people collecting any negative or even lukewarm mentions of him and murmuring that they should be fired for comments like that.

That said, Mike O'Brien is both dumb and an rear end in a top hat and has basically said, "We were already spinning up the wheels to fire her over the holiday, it had nothing to do with public pressure", which is arguably worse of a justification for termination

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Price was already on the hit lists people were making after TotalBiscuit died, back then there were already people collecting any negative or even lukewarm mentions of him and murmuring that they should be fired for comments like that.

That said, Mike O'Brien is both dumb and an rear end in a top hat and has basically said, "We were already spinning up the wheels to fire her over the holiday, it had nothing to do with public pressure", which is arguably worse of a justification for termination

I mean, poo poo, she's been on hit lists since she worked at Paizo. If you head over to any of the various GG-related subreddits and search her name there's poo poo going back two years.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Price is a pretty cool person from what i've gathered, and a good writer. The story in Guild Wars 2 is awesome, and that was entirely her work at ArenaNet was writing, approving work by her peers, and leading team meetings on where to take the direction of the GW2 story. Not playing GW2 ever again over Anets decision to fire two of their employees. The whole thing reeks of sexism and lovely corporate behavior. I honestly think Price is innocent in all of this and didn't deserve the treatment she got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

The only difference is 30fps instead of 60 because they used the PS2 version as a base instead of GC since it has more stuff.

Now the PC port, woof

the pc port literally isn't any worse than the ps3 version at this point, it's a buggy piece of poo poo because the ps3 version is a buggy piece of poo poo because the ps2 version, was a buggy piece of poo poo

like even beyond framerate, symphonia ps2 introduced a bug where all of the voices in one of the biggest scenes in the game are all randomly swapped around so all of the wrong voice lines are coming from the wrong characters

• Locked thread