Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have never seen a Purge movie, could you start with the :v: First :v: Purge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Side note: I think the human cops heckling the dog cops with their "puppy love" joke probably counts as racism.

https://youtu.be/bwz9X6ejuiQ

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The Jurassic Games is extremely solid trash cinema, and count me as pleasantly surprised that it’s predominately done up in a false document, pseudodocumentary style.

It doesn’t have a patch on The Call Up or Gamer, but if you’re after their Syfy-budgeted ‘with dinosaurs’ equivalent, you’re in the right place.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

For some reason that reminds me of that joke about a police department getting around accusations of discrimination by dying one of the white officers black and changing his name. A couple weeks later Sergeant Tyrone Kowalczyk had been reassigned because he was a "bad culture fit" and was threatening to sue the department

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Escobarbarian posted:

I have never seen a Purge movie, could you start with the :v: First :v: Purge?

You should be fine, yeah. Definitely check out Anarchy and Election Year if you like it, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Reminder that the original voice of McGruff the crime dog is in prison because they found 1000 marijuana plants, a grenade launcher, 26 guns and 9000 rounds of ammo in his house.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

Reminder that the original voice of McGruff the crime dog is in prison because they found 1000 marijuana plants, a grenade launcher, 26 guns and 9000 rounds of ammo in his house.

good dog

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lurdiak posted:

... well, no one can accuse the guy of being an underachiever. Holy poo poo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Since other people are posting theirs.

https://twitter.com/kenfrankenstein/status/1017467587951808513?s=21

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So apparently the Daughter of Violent J (of Insane Clown Posse) is a furry and she bought a fursuit that she thought was of bad quality, so her and her dad made a video that they posted to the Psychopathic Records youtube page just calling out the maker of the fursuit for being really lovely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNSBIMLs96M
There's honestly so much to make fun of here but all I really get from it is that Violent J seems like a cool dad.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
And hes a comrade in the post escalator world

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Timby posted:

... well, no one can accuse the guy of being an underachiever. Holy poo poo.

Yeah if he just got caught with a highball or something it wouldn't be noteworthy, but the guy was like the second act of a Scorsese film.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Snakebusters Episode 2: Exxon Mobil

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

That’s a big bite of crime.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

What was his name? I want to read more about this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

What was his name? I want to read more about this.

John Morales, of Texas.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1017466124735311873?s=19

Divorce has not been kind to Donald Jr

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

MacheteZombie posted:

And hes a comrade in the post escalator world

I'll bite - what is this and how is he a part of it?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

goddamn, look at that low center of gravity. I bet he's impossible to knock down. He's like a goddamn weeble.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Voodoofly posted:

escalator is a reference to the moment Trump rode an escalator to announce his candidacy for President

The moment which inaugurated the post-escalator world where everything is stupid and cruel and nothing matters

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Voodoofly posted:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/8/21/16163816/insane-clown-posses-juggalo-march-on-washington

They marched on Washington during an alt right trump march. They were protesting being labelled a violent gang as an excuse for law enforcement to easily charge their members who are typically from lower income backgrounds.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Really one of the weirdest things about the world going to poo poo is that Juggalos seem more and more reasonable by the year.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ruddiger posted:

Viggo Mortensen is in Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III

Not a sequel but Viggo Mortensen plays Lucifer in The Prophecy.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Like I loved Anarchy and was okay with Election Year, but I'm willing to say that First Purge is to this series as Fast Five is to the F&F series. it's seriously a fuckin' all-timer and I was kind of pissed there were only like 5 other people in the theater when I saw it.

This is a very good comparison. First Purge is on a whole other level.

Also, props to HUNDU for repping The Shooting which is a masterpiece. I've said before but Monte Hellman/Jack Nicholson is the greta unsung director/actor collab. Their film together are astounding and young Nicholson was a true revelation, arguably the greatest actor of his generation and we forget this cause he kind of went the Brando route in his old age although rather than phoning it in decided to just stop making movies.

Anyway, some other great underrated Criterion picks:

1. Alambrista (1977, Robert Young)
2. Up All Night with Robert Downey Sr. (Eclipse Set, includes Putney Swope among others)
3. The Children Are Watching Us (1944, Vittorio De Sica)
4. World on a Wire (1973, Rainer Werner Fassbinder)
5. The Executioner (1963, Luis Garcia Berlanga)
6. The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973, Peter Yates)
7. Scorsese's World Cinema Project sets
8. Good Morning (1959, Yasujiro Ozu)
9. The Naked City (1948, Jules Dassin)
10. Harlan County, USA (1976, Barbara Kopple)

The aforementioned The Shooting/Ride in the Whirlwind set as well, also I think the Paul Robeson box set is OOP unfortunately.

edit: How did I forget the Les Blank set, probably the best and most important thing that Criterion has ever released.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

John Morales, of Texas.

Thank you, although you were slightly off. According to the news story I found he had 27 guns, not 26, one of which was a grenade launcher.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Guy Goodbody posted:

goddamn, look at that low center of gravity. I bet he's impossible to knock down. He's like a goddamn weeble.

He's like a human ketchup bottle.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I watched the Purge for the first time on Tuesday, and Anarchy yesterday. Actually really liked them. Very silly premise but I am fascinated by the weird world setting. It's one of those ones you can have a good think about how things might work. Like zoos would have to have really good security and suchlike. They mention that banks move all their money elsewhere for purge night in Anarchy I think. It Follows is good for that too.

Also I like that the Purge is announced with a great big AWOOGA klaxon dealy. And how sheepish everyone looks at seven when they all slope off home/the hospital. And I keep wondering how it would go if like a mad scientist inventor type person made like a big death thing. Or killer robots. I guess that would probably violate the class 4 rule though.

Or someone could strap a gun to a drone or something. Or a Purge film where people are done to death in wacky ways could be fun.

Need to seek out Election Year and then wait for the newest one at some point. And that series they're planning. Dunno how that's going to work.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Thank you, although you were slightly off. According to the news story I found he had 27 guns, not 26, one of which was a grenade launcher.

I consider grenade launchers and bazookas to be in a class of their own when it comes to weaponry.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wonder if it works like it's legal to do arson during the Purge, but if the fire is still going and doing damage when the Purge ends, you go to jail for that

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

I wonder if it works like it's legal to do arson during the Purge, but if the fire is still going and doing damage when the Purge ends, you go to jail for that

I would think not, the crime in an arson is with setting the fire.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skwirl posted:

I would think not, the crime in an arson is with setting the fire.

That seems like the kind of loophole that would ruin the whole thing. Just one dude driving down I-5, throwing molotov cocktails out the window, all of California is destroyed

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It really seems like the smartest thing to do during the purge is steal money and valuable goods.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Guy Goodbody posted:

That seems like the kind of loophole that would ruin the whole thing. Just one dude driving down I-5, throwing molotov cocktails out the window, all of California is destroyed

The whole point of the purge is to kill poor people and minorites to keep budgets down. I’d imagine they use that money to repair the damages.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

The whole point of the purge is to kill poor people and minorites to keep budgets down. I’d imagine they use that money to repair the damages.

All of the rich people in California would no longer have houses if someone did what he described.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

porfiria posted:

It really seems like the smartest thing to do during the purge is steal money and valuable goods.

But is that tax deductible ?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alhazred posted:

But is that tax deductible ?

Some state started indicting drug dealers on tax evasion so they could take their money, it was determined to be a form of double jeopardy so they then had to refund the money.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Just because something's not happening on screen doesn't mean it's not happening.

In The First Purge, two of the first three crimes we see committed are thefts.

The point of the purge is not to legalize crime. It's to allow the regime a veil for sending out mercenaries and committing genocide. One of the bad guys in Anarchy states explicitly that they do this because not enough people actually kill during the purge. Most people are just bunkering down/hiding. All of that poo poo you see on T.V. is propaganda from state-controlled news networks within a far-right state.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The First Purge fleshes out the premise in a way that makes you wish the other movies more better.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Skwirl posted:

Some state started indicting drug dealers on tax evasion so they could take their money, it was determined to be a form of double jeopardy so they then had to refund the money.

Ah, the Al Capone gambit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

I don't exactly look like a Greek statue or anything, but holy poo poo these people have some really awkward bodies.

Seriously though, when you have the kind of money they do you'd think they could hire a tailor who knows how to cut a suit in a way that doesn't make you look like a melted Ken doll.

• Locked thread