Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Price is a pretty cool person from what i've gathered, and a good writer. The story in Guild Wars 2 is awesome, and that was entirely her work at ArenaNet was writing, approving work by her peers, and leading team meetings on where to take the direction of the GW2 story. Not playing GW2 ever again over Anets decision to fire two of their employees. The whole thing reeks of sexism and lovely corporate behavior. I honestly think Price is innocent in all of this and didn't deserve the treatment she got.

I agree with everything here except that the story in GW2 is awesome

That said I think they do a really good job of writing the player character in a way that suits just about everyone's idea of who their character is. You're a little bit world-weary, a little bit sarcastic, make some wry jokes at your NPC friends, and you're determined and will always save the day (because, like Price said in one of her discussions of this, they're just gonna keep resurrecting you until you succeed so hey, that fits). And that's enough to make your character feel like a person who makes sense in the world, which is pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wish less people had decided price's firing was remotely justifiable early on because the guy she got angry at Was Being Civil About It

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

She should found her own game company and then repeatedly insult people like Kamiya

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I'm going to pretend like I never read the past 2 pages and disappear back into my rpg playing bubble so I dont get stupider by internet drama

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh the thing that sucks about kamiya's twitter isn't that he gets mad at people because while the guy has a short fuse online he like, definitely will get people flooding him with bullshit because of an idle thought he decided to share about how it might be cool to see dmc do something weird causing a bunch of weirdos who don't even know he doesn't direct dmc anymore screaming at him for the mere suggestion. the thing that sucks is how that puts a plug on the actually really interesting tweets the guy can make about like, working on resident evil 2 and working with people like shinji mikami and atsushi inaba. when the guy isn't pissed off he can tweet some really interesting stories

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Beat Oxenfree last night. Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I picked up Dex on sale and beat it recently. I thought it was very worth 2USD.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

the pc port literally isn't any worse than the ps3 version at this point, it's a buggy piece of poo poo because the ps3 version is a buggy piece of poo poo because the ps2 version, was a buggy piece of poo poo

like even beyond framerate, symphonia ps2 introduced a bug where all of the voices in one of the biggest scenes in the game are all randomly swapped around so all of the wrong voice lines are coming from the wrong characters

I mean, maybe for some people's computers but like, I tried it after people were saying they finally fixed it and was getting a ton of framerate issues and bugs and at least one crash.

Not the Tales game you should get on Steam in either case.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i wish less people had decided price's firing was remotely justifiable early on because the guy she got angry at Was Being Civil About It

People are blind to a lot of things when they're cloaked in polite language. Deroir was being condescending. I'm sure he didn't mean to be, but he was. But because he wrote his condescending reply in polite language, the condescension apparently doesn't count.

Something particularly troubling is that I bet if ArenaNet had just, like, reprimanded Price and Fries and made them offer a written apology, then moved on, this would all have died down within a week. Sure, Reddit wouldn't be "appeased" or whatever, but anyone who actually plays GW2 in the first place would forget quickly. Maybe it'd be brought up snarkily the next time one of them is on an AMA or something, but that's it. The amount of harassment Price takes probably wouldn't even change--like I've said before, she's been targeted by GG since she was working on tabletop games, so this is nothing new.

Instead, firing them and making a public example out of them for "attacking the community" sets an awful precedent across the industry, emboldens toxic assholes, and escalates the harassment. It's like the worst possible approach and that's what Mike O'Brien went with and still thinks is the right call.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
People who are rude to annoying customers should be promoted imo

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

One of my favorite jobs was the time where I was promoted to supervisor during the time of the day when no managers came in and who all implicitly trusted me. I shittalked so many people it was great.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

when I was on the last few days from my customer service job, I just stopped caring and the freedom of not having to worry about tiptoeing around some grumpy dude's ego or some lady's entitlement complex was amazing

you're gonna call my boss? ok. poo poo, you want the fuckin company owner's desk number? you can have that too, bud, what other numbers you want?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Heartcatch posted:

I picked up Dex on sale and beat it recently. I thought it was very worth 2USD.

I'm a big fan of Dex the Decko, too

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

It's strange to me that people really enjoy lording power over others and treating them like garbage.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
It was a joke :(

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I found an archive for Computer and Video Games magazine so I've been reading game journalism from the early 80s. It's amazing to see how hard they talk up laserdiscs as the future of the industry.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rarity posted:

I found an archive for Computer and Video Games magazine so I've been reading game journalism from the early 80s. It's amazing to see how hard they talk up laserdiscs as the future of the industry.

That was the first videogames magazine I started reading, around the early 90's

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The real inaccuracy in all of this is that it should have been described as fansplaining

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sakurazuka posted:

That was the first videogames magazine I started reading, around the early 90's

It's also really weird how loving dull it is. There's a regular features on chess, bridge and how to put computer kits together. I suppose someone must have got something out of that at the time.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The "Customer is always right" mentality is one of the worst ideas to infect the workforce.

Also the idea that it's justifiable because she was rude to a customer even though it was on her own time is baffling to me. Like literally everybody you can interact with is a potential customer. Having people expect people to be on their best behavior at all times so they don't reflect badly on the brands they work for is some poo poo that I think most dystopian authors would throw out for being too much.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

suuma posted:

It was a joke :(

Raise the steaks. :getin:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

glam rock hamhock posted:

The "Customer is always right" mentality is one of the worst ideas to infect the workforce.

Also the idea that it's justifiable because she was rude to a customer even though it was on her own time is baffling to me. Like literally everybody you can interact with is a potential customer. Having people expect people to be on their best behavior at all times so they don't reflect badly on the brands they work for is some poo poo that I think most dystopian authors would throw out for being too much.

On the other hand, this concept has been getting a lot of racists fired lately. Considering that's one of the few ways they can be held accountable for their reprehensible actions that side of it is a pretty good thing.

But man the situation here is just so stupid. I hope she can find a new job with a less terrible boss.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Just get rid of Twitter altogether. That seems to be the common denominator of all stupid Twitter drama.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
social media is a pox upon humanity. it must be vanquished

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Social media? More like so-shouldn't exist.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ban all twitter users except Sam Neill.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Um.. Ken Jennings?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Has da share zone also fallen out of favor?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

chumbler posted:

Has da share zone also fallen out of favor?
people hate him now because of plagarism

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Can there be a twitter except it's just for writers and comedians? I want that version of twitter.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don’t think Twitter is the problem (in this case), boss is just lovely

Customer service workers should probably be polite, I mean it’s kind of their job, but this woman is not a customer service worker

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

bloodychill posted:

Can there be a twitter except it's just for writers and comedians? I want that version of twitter.
Also preferably one not run by a white supremacist.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

bloodychill posted:

That's my version of Twitter

Also, my version of Instagram is just people who make fanart

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

People have flipped poo poo over stuff developers said on official forums or in interviews too.

e: idk, social media is bad in the sense that mass media communication being under the purview of singular corps is bad, but sometimes it feels like dodging or externalizing whatever the actual issue is

Motto fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 12, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

I don’t think Twitter is the problem (in this case), boss is just lovely

Customer service workers should probably be polite, I mean it’s kind of their job, but this woman is not a customer service worker

and she was off the clock, which is apparently a concept that doesn't exist in our corporatist dystopian future

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Am I allowed to keep my twitter? I mostly just post dog drawings on it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

my buddy Superfly posted:

Am I allowed to keep my twitter? I mostly just post dog drawings on it.
NO.

Feel free to PM me any pictures of doggies though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

and she was off the clock, which is apparently a concept that doesn't exist in our corporatist dystopian future

There's no apparently about it, especially if it's a global company.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Raxivace posted:

NO.

Feel free to PM me any pictures of doggies though.

How about a poison chihuahua?

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1017439174578892802

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

cheetah7071 posted:

• Locked thread