Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I liked SaGa Frontier so none of the story stuff, even the worst case scenario things, are that bad to me. :shrug:

If completing all 8 character stories leads t some post game True Ending style thing then even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

drat when I was reading about Op's guide ability for some reason I was thinking it was just to help you do quests, not actually necessary to beat her first chapter. Still trying to decide if I'm going left or right on my journey across the world.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mega64 posted:

I think common advice for slow Amazon shipments is to buy it at a store and return the unopened Amazon copy when it comes in.

Doing this will not discourage Amazon from playing fast and loose with their shipments, as they got and got to keep your money, but it will (slightly) discourage retail stores from stocking games if the return rate is high.

SilverSupernova posted:

Hopefully it doesn't share Bravely's major flaw of repeating itself 3 or 4 times after the halfway point. That brought the momentum from my play through to a grinding halt.

The 3 starting dungeons I played were all the same. As the other poster said a while ago, they have different graphics and different plots and technically different layouts, but the experience of interacting with them is close to identical.

qbert posted:

They probably don’t, which is kind of annoying given Nintendo’s vague responses to the question leading up to the game’s launch.

Generally when people avoid answering questions when an asker has a vested interest in a certain answer, it's because the actual answer is not that. Companies love meeting or exceeding expectations.

All that being said, I'm still looking forward to it. I just might not recommend it as hard for people looking for another Chrono Cross.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So it got a midnight release here in Aus, so it's running on first party time it seems. Good news for everyone.

Also game is real good. Real loving good.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I liked SaGa Frontier so none of the story stuff, even the worst case scenario things, are that bad to me. :shrug:

If completing all 8 character stories leads t some post game True Ending style thing then even better.

Think of it as kind of a Live A Live set-up, since the game's pace is somewhat (but not completely) similiar to it (though I doubt one of the playable characters is going to end up being the true villain of Octopath in this case).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Folt The Bolt posted:

(though I doubt one of the playable characters is going to end up being the true villain of Octopath in this case).

I stick to my theory

Your Computer posted:

the real main story plot twist is Tressa's ascent to godhood through adventure and treasure

witness the face of the true final boss and despair

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

No game reviewer has beaten it yet because completing each story gives you a Melody and getting all eight melodies unlocks an official English version of Mother 3 which you have to beat in order to get the true interconnected ending.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The end game is Tressa opens up her Item World and you have to level every character and every item to 9999999999999

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The true ending is finding out Tressa's last name is Walton and she founds a mega department store that over takes the world and destroys small businesses and squases labor unions and consumer protection.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
The final scene before the credits roll is actually all 8 coming together and getting on a vessel to the underworld where the True Evil lives that ties all their stories together then they turn to the camera and it says FINISH THE FIGHT IN DODECAPATH TRAVELER 2020

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I placed an order for the Wayfarer's Edition on Amazon back on the 8th, and it's saying it still hasn't shipped yet and they don't have an estimate for delivery for me. :(

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mine shipped yesterday and will be arriving tomorrow. But it's being shipped via FedEx and probably while I'm at work so :cripes:.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Licarn posted:

The overlapping story between Cyrus, H'aanit, Alfyn, Primrose and Ophelia is their political podcast.

lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Or no reviewer has had enough time to play to completion:

I don't think the current reviews preclude the possibility of an overreaching boss battle/ending if you complete all the side quests and optional bosses. Now, there still might not be such an ending, but there's hints of one and Jason getting to the credits roll alone isn't proof that there isn't. He even has a way to weasel out of that by saying "well Nintendo didn't tell us how to access it."

Hm, she does mention seeing end credits at least. That's concerning. (Kotaku are poo poo journalists)

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Lol, I see the Octopath Traveler reddit finally noticed they spelled the name 'wrong' and moved.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Housh posted:

IGN's video review sounded like a nerd jizzing his pants

Just checked out his quick review video and he said after 53 hours of playing, the shrine bosses that reward additional sub-classes are still kicking his rear end. Seems like there are plenty of difficult challenges throughout the gamw.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Lol, I see the Octopath Traveler reddit finally noticed they spelled the name 'wrong' and moved.

That was mostly because the original mod of the sub was inactive and couldn't add extra mods. They needed to contact some admin to move those privileges over.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Kotaku doesn't mention getting to any kind of end credits or anything.

Hmmm.

He even said "I beat all 8 stories and nothing happened."

If that was that wouldn't it be roll credits time? Seems like there's at least something left to do.
He's said that you get credits at the end of each path story, so he saw them 8 times I guess.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
At this point I'd rather just assume that there is no real crossover between stories, and if it turns out there is within the endgame (which does sound substantial), it will be a pleasant surprise.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

homeless snail posted:

He's said that you get credits at the end of each path story, so he saw them 8 times I guess.

He has also contradicted himself on whether or not he got hints at the end of the stories so...

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

homeless snail posted:

Actually he said in the comments of his review that you see the end credits when you beat your main character's (starting choice) story. Seems legit to me and in keeping with what other reviews have said.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

It mostly just sounds like people are upset that instead of one giant earth saving adventure, it is just eight smaller life changing adventures. After sinking hours into Overwatch, Destiny 2 and Fortnite, I'm not going to get that bent out of shape that there is only minor dialogue between party members, especially when the Destiny 2 npcs have been using the same canned dialogue since last October.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

^burtle posted:

It mostly just sounds like people are upset that instead of one giant earth saving adventure, it is just eight smaller life changing adventures. After sinking hours into Overwatch, Destiny 2 and Fortnite, I'm not going to get that bent out of shape that there is only minor dialogue between party members, especially when the Destiny 2 npcs have been using the same canned dialogue since last October.

It's not the lack of an earth-saving adventure. It's the missed opportunity to do some cool Pulp Fiction crossover poo poo like "Holy crap, the diner they are eating in is the same one that was being robbed at the start of the movie!" The structure this game has is begging for cool plot stuff like that to be woven into the stories. I hope they're in there.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Yeah but that sounds like you've made the image in your head of what you want it to be and then are disappointed when the actual thing does not conform to the image

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Real Final Boss of Octopath Traveler: Will be a world eating cosmic horror who eats the alternate Octopath Traveler worlds! Just when everything seems bleak, the Octopath worlds of your friends like Terper will fight back and let you kill the boss for good!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

Yeah but that sounds like you've made the image in your head of what you want it to be and then are disappointed when the actual thing does not conform to the image

Gamers are the best in the world at this particular skill :c00lbutt:

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

The revelations of what this game is like ruined my expectations therefore I will not buy it, but I hope those that are will have lots of fun! :cool:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

AnonSpore posted:

Gamers shouldn't do this, but game companies also shouldn't be deliberately vague and coy about what their game actually is leading up to its release, which encourages gamers to create false impressions in their heads.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Is that what happened here

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

qbert posted:

Gamers shouldn't do this, but game companies also shouldn't be deliberately vague and coy about what their game actually is leading up to its release, which encourages gamers to create false impressions in their heads.
They've literally been saying EIGHT DIFFERENT CHARACTERS, EIGHT SEPARATE STORIES since the very first trailer :psyboom:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 12, 2018

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I actually prefer the separate stories, over some ham-rear end coincidence or conspiracy based crossover. My one critique is that it would have been better if you could suspend parties to start new stories in the same save file, and maybe have them meet up along the way.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I want to have fun and explore the world of deals with Tressa.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

qbert posted:

So, I checked, first announcement didn't say anything at all, the second one was this one, which saaaaiiiid...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2lwxuOk2FY&t=29s

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

qbert posted:

Yeah, this is fair.

See: Sean Murray.

Nintendo didn't say "there's a grand campaign" on the box, but that one dev did imply there was crossover later on.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Oh god damnit are we REALLY comparing this to No Man's Sky? Really?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Maybe the reason they never mentioned any big save the world plot is because there isn't one :iiam:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Oh god damnit are we REALLY comparing this to No Man's Sky? Really?

No, nobody did that, gently caress you.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Zaphod42 posted:

No, nobody did that, gently caress you.

*cough*

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, this is fair.

See: Sean Murray.

Nintendo didn't say "there's a grand campaign" on the box, but that one dev did imply there was crossover later on.

OWFUCKTHATHURT!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Maybe the reason they never mentioned any big save the world plot is because there isn't one :iiam:

That wasn't the point. The lack of something isn't the same as the existence of proof that it doesn't exist, and a dev in an interview did say there was more crossover later on.

You guys are being ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

*cough*

OWFUCKTHATHURT!

How small minded do you have to be to think me saying "devs definitely shouldn't over promise, like no man's sky" translates to "this game is just like no man's sky" ?

Goddamn goons like dunking on strawmen to feel superior. Its real sad.