Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Every class can do every role to varying degrees of effectiveness, but Templar is one of two classes with an actual healing tree independent of Rest Staff.

And yeah, all magicka users are holding a staff. Templars just get an ability where they repeatedly stab in front of them with a spear made of light, and it's a conal AoE that also heals you. So you're always going to be spamming it.

Later on you'll want an actual rotation, but for most of the game you'll just be throwing down elemental blockade and then spamming spear and be near-unkillable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

sevenflow posted:

- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X
- i7-7700HQ @ 2.8GHz
- 16GB DDR4-2400

(also on an SSD, if it matters.)

I'm running a higher resolution (1440), and using G-Sync, but I can't imagine that's causing such a large hit.

I've got the same graphics card & RAM, a worse processor, and I run at 4k without issue ~60fps. Could be G-Sync screwing with you? Have you tried turning it off for ESO?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

dromal phrenia posted:

Every class can do every role to varying degrees of effectiveness, but Templar is one of two classes with an actual healing tree independent of Rest Staff.

And yeah, all magicka users are holding a staff. Templars just get an ability where they repeatedly stab in front of them with a spear made of light, and it's a conal AoE that also heals you. So you're always going to be spamming it.

Later on you'll want an actual rotation, but for most of the game you'll just be throwing down elemental blockade and then spamming spear and be near-unkillable

Hm, to start with a dunmer magicka DK or an argonian magicka Templar... this will be a tough decision.

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006

Harrow posted:

Hm, to start with a dunmer magicka DK or an argonian magicka Templar... this will be a tough decision.

I've been leveling a magplar and at 26, it's a blast. You really have to try to die to stuff and you have a ton of abilities that are fun/interesting.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Harrow posted:

They're both good choices. Templar will give you a lot more healing options, as you can basically build as a DPS character and still be a fully functional healer. Magicka DK is more interesting, imo, and I can pretty much guarantee you will be sick to death of Puncturing Strikes by the time you hit 50 as a Templar, but it's a fun ride either way.

Also, I'd suggest Altmer Templar rather than Argonian. Templar's limiting factor is really magicka regen, and Altmer solves that (also gives you damage bonus for your staves and sun fire attacks).

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 12, 2018

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Counterpoint: Argonians are the bestians.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Aramek posted:

Counterpoint: Argonians are the bestians.

They really are.

mmm, Argonians :chef:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

That's just Wamasu.

Delicious, delicious Wamasu.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
This is the pro-est of responses, but where are the boots and handbag you made from the rest?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

DoriDori240 posted:

This is the pro-est of responses, but where are the boots and handbag you made from the rest?

What, these little things? I was trying not to brag, but if you insist:

His name was "Made-For-Walking." Must have had prescient parents.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 12, 2018

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Coldforge posted:

I've got the same graphics card & RAM, a worse processor, and I run at 4k without issue ~60fps. Could be G-Sync screwing with you? Have you tried turning it off for ESO?

I’m running similar specs except with the previous generation processor at 4K scaled down with no slowdown or stuttering so something is definitely wrong as not being able to run medium smoothly isn’t at all typical. G-sync could be it or it could be some stupid broken setting in the games options. I would start with the gpu settings and see if anything unusual is checked off specifically in ESO’s profile if you are using GeForce Experience, or if that’s all good start unchecking and checking one thing at a time in ESO’s graphics settings to see what is broken.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Argonians are so much better than other races that we're still useful after we die. No one is making anything out of elves or humans because their skin is poo poo just like everything else about them.

Imagine being proud that when you die, your body just rots like trash because that's all you've ever been and all you'll ever be :sad:

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
This game is using an older engine that doesn't really utilize graphics cards as well as more modern ones, relying more on CPU. Make sure you don't have the view distance set to max, it's a fps killer no matter what system you are running on.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

dromal phrenia posted:

Argonians are so much better than other races that we're still useful after we die. No one is making anything out of elves or humans because their skin is poo poo just like everything else about them.

Imagine being proud that when you die, your body just rots like trash because that's all you've ever been and all you'll ever be :sad:

I’m sure someone out there is making elf skin bags and skin suits.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

I really hope they fix this bug soon.

Frozen Man is just now honestly impressed, really.

Finally doing the Thieves Guild quest line is a hoot now because I can't see the building I'm in in the very first quest.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Coldforge posted:

They're both good choices. Templar will give you a lot more healing options, as you can basically build as a DPS character and still be a fully functional healer. Magicka DK is more interesting, imo, and I can pretty much guarantee you will be sick to death of Puncturing Strikes by the time you hit 50 as a Templar, but it's a fun ride either way.

Apparently magplar is a good candidate for a build based on Elemental Weapon. That's probably not terribly exciting either, but at least you now have a real option besides Puncturing Strikes. When I eventually start playing my templar again, I'll probably do that, or respect to stam.

I'd still say go with magicka DK because it's the most fun, even if you're an (ugh) Dunmer.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Airspace posted:

Frozen Man is just now honestly impressed, really.

For me there was this one small spot to the right of the first platform where if I was looking directly at the chest, my surroundings appeared and I could sort of see where I had to go. I still had to do the jumps blind, and this dungeon was completely invisible 95% of the time.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Rollersnake posted:

For me there was this one small spot to the right of the first platform where if I was looking directly at the chest, my surroundings appeared and I could sort of see where I had to go. I still had to do the jumps blind, and this dungeon was completely invisible 95% of the time.

Oh god, that's awful. Worst I had it was during the Thieves Guild tomb sequence where you have to follow Zeira and the light through the darkness. Even the path disappeared; thankfully I could just hug her back all the way through.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

PVP WITH CHILL BROS, END UP IN DUBSTEP COMPILATIONS :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxFH9BcFktw

Special thanks to Brazillionaire in Chill Bros for putting this together, and to Dori, Flooby, Sluggo, and Gondor for putting up with my poo poo on the daily when PvPing

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 13, 2018

zjentohlauedy
Feb 27, 2006

Bad sportsmanship. A ruthless minority of people seem to have forgotten good old-fashioned virtues. They just can't stand seeing the other fellow w

dromal phrenia posted:

This one thinks you're forgetting about nice warm khajiit pelts.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

zjentohlauedy posted:

This one thinks you're forgetting about nice warm khajiit pelts.

As someone who mains a Bosmer, it was a pretty laughable statement all-around.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Normally interacting with a people and a culture only serves to break down xenophobic barriers and increases appreciation for one another's differences and similarities.

And then there's the Green Pact.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Are there some suggested add-ons to use? The OP talks about Wykkyd add-ons, and I don't think those are well supported any longer?

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

for any newer players that are on the fence, having experienced 2 days of the free eso plus trial its worth it just for the craft bag alone

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Are there some suggested add-ons to use? The OP talks about Wykkyd add-ons, and I don't think those are well supported any longer?

Map Pins for when having stuff becomes more important than the thrill of finding it. There are individual add-ons for skyshards, lorebooks, and treasure maps, but Map Pins has all that and much more, and you can configure it to mark as much or as little as you want. In particular, the Psijic Order questline is miserable without it, because the maps the game gives you are (intentionally) inaccurate.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I find SmartCast to be required.

Once you get to doing craft writs, Dolgubon's Lazy Writ Crafting and the companion Daily Alchemy and Daily Provisioning will keep you sane.

If you like to perform multiple roles in groups (or switch between solo/group loadouts), AlphaGear is fantastic.

Advanced Filters is really helpful to stay organized.

Potion Maker makes it simple to...make...potions.

Untaunted is a godsend for playing as a tank.

Srendarr lets you customize the way buffs are displayed and timers are shown.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Can I get an invite to the guild? @robotsinmyhead

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking of playing this, is there any goon presence on EU server?

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

The Claptain posted:

There is a goon guild, but its quite dead.

While vivec is great for doing crafting writs, the placement of this battleaxe has to be the most evil trap the developers put in the game.

Nektu fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 14, 2018

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I would accidentally steal a staff or something when handing in writs in Rawl'kha all the time.

There's also the decoy tailoring station in Elden Root, and now the loving coins on the counter right in front of the banker in Alinor. That one hasn't caught me yet, but it's only a matter of time.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

I would accidentally steal a staff or something when handing in writs in Rawl'kha all the time.

There's also the decoy tailoring station in Elden Root, and now the loving coins on the counter right in front of the banker in Alinor. That one hasn't caught me yet, but it's only a matter of time.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The Claptain posted:

Most EU goons play on NA server, not much issues with lag/ping from what I hear from them.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

So I've only been playing this game for a short time, but I've become very curious about weapon skill only builds. Do they perform well late game?

Rather, have people been able to make gimmick builds in this game work pretty well? I know there are good build and poo poo builds, but I like to PvP more than anything and that means I can hide behind some meatbag catapults if I feel useless :v:

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 15, 2018

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Scyantific posted:

Most EU goons play on NA server, not much issues with lag/ping from what I hear from them.

Thought as much. Now I get to choose between goons and rl friends!

Who am I kidding, I'll probably roll a character on both, or talk my friends into playing on NA server.

Please invite @TheClaptainSA.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

More PvP clips, fresh and hot off the shitpile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sygmrYqrZSs

Fernando Frantegro
Oct 9, 2007
If You're Not A Part Of The Solution, There's Good Money To Be Made In Prolonging The Problem. That is Consulting
Could I get an invite to the goons @oglar

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Oh gently caress, I just realized that motifs are character and not account bound like in GW2.

Well, :shepspends::shepspends::shepspends: (but seriously, thats actually kinda lovely).

Im also looking for an inventory addon that adds a textinput for filtering filter - I just want to type the stuff im looking for. Does that exist?

Edit: There is also no way to use equipment as outfit, correct?

Nektu fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 17, 2018

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Just leave that part of the outfit blank, that will show your actual equipped items.

And motif is per character, yes, but it's still an account unlock for outfits at least.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

What? I'm pretty sure I had access to all my motifs across characters last I played. Did they change that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

You do, for *outfits* not actual crafting.