Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
If you also have Amazon Prime, it includes The Wire, Deadwood, Rome, and Carnivale, so don't pay extra for HBO just for those.

But I'm making my way through Barry now, and it's quite good.

HBO movies that are worth watching if you haven't seen them:
Alien
Aliens
Back to the Future I, II, III
Big Trouble
Blade Runner 2049
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Chicago
Die Hard 1, 2, 3
Fletch
Get Out
Girls Trip
Identity
Last Boy Scout
Lego Batman Movie
Logan
Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World
Silence of the Lambs
Wonder Woman

And comedy:
Chris Gethard: Career Suicide
Michelle Wolf: Nice Lady
Tig Notaro: Boyish Girl Interrupted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Vice Principals is them too right? I liked the first season, haven’t watched the second yet since we cancelled.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Fumaofthelake posted:

Vice Principals is them too right? I liked the first season, haven’t watched the second yet since we cancelled.

Season 2 was just okay. Definitely not worth the subscription alone, but it is watchable.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I don't know why I clicked on The Break with Michelle Wolf (the thumbnal is kinda meh) but it's...surprisingly really good? It stands on its own, she has solid material and definitely stands out among all the weekly commentary comedy shows. I'm going to watch more of this.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

I don't know why I clicked on The Break with Michelle Wolf (the thumbnal is kinda meh) but it's...surprisingly really good? It stands on its own, she has solid material and definitely stands out among all the weekly commentary comedy shows. I'm going to watch more of this.

Seconded, I'm generally not a big fan of that format but she works it pretty well.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Straight White Shark posted:

Seconded, I'm generally not a big fan of that format but she works it pretty well.

Someone else mentioned it, but her hbo special was really good. Like, one of the better stand up acts I've seen in the last few years.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

om nom nom posted:

What should I watch on HBO?

Basically now that Westworld is done we're planning to cancel HBO until the next worthwhile show is on (probably GOT). My girlfriend is going to start up the account so we get another free month.

I'm not in any rush to cancel, I just don't want to have an extra $15/month coming out of the bank for something I barely use. What movies are on that I should watch (blade runner 2049 is on my list)? What shows are worth it? Ive watched a lot of the series (GoT, true blood, some of Veep, vice principals, east bound and down, gunpowder, plus others that aren't coming to mind atm).

So what are your favorite/the best HBO shows and movies?

The current options have already been spoken for but as someone that likes to watch good movies but doesn't have the time/$$ to spend on seeing stuff on the big screen I find that HBO is awesome for catching at least 2 solid new release level movies a month that Netflix won't have available.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

1redflag posted:

Season 2 was just okay. Definitely not worth the subscription alone, but it is watchable.

I really enjoyed it for the first season, but season 2 lost my interest and I kind of just stopped watching it without finishing it.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Tau is dire. Skip.

It did feature the most unintentionally laugh-worthy Wilhelm Scream I've ever heard in a movie though, I guess :shrug:

Olive! has a new favorite as of 07:19 on Jun 30, 2018

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

^^^
Yeah holy poo poo. I didn't enjoy myself at all watching that.

Palpek posted:

It's like a better version of the Chelsea Handler show. I like Handler okay but a fair amount of her jokes were, "That dude is gay, haha!"

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Anyone know if The Expanse S3 is coming to Amazon Prime anytime soon?

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
Watched the entire run of "The End of the F***ing World" on Netflix last night, a "British dark comedy-drama".

Didn't like the title, didn't like the premise, didn't like the first 15 minutes or so.

But it turned out to be pretty good IMO.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Baxter posted:

Watched the entire run of "The End of the F***ing World" on Netflix last night, a "British dark comedy-drama".

Didn't like the title, didn't like the premise, didn't like the first 15 minutes or so.

Significantly better than the source material imo

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Baxter posted:

I liked it.

Actually I got pissed off at some parts of it but wait for it, it's getting a sequel, somehow.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

syscall girl posted:

I liked it.

Actually I got pissed off at some parts of it but wait for it, it's getting a sequel, somehow.

Is it? I looked a couple aweeks ago and just saw people posting they want one but there wasn't one announced yet

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Is it? I looked a couple aweeks ago and just saw people posting they want one but there wasn't one announced yet

It's really great but there are some parts of it that just piss me off

The sequel is basically going to be True Detective 2, has nothing to do with the original and if you liked the first you're gonna be angry

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000

syscall girl posted:

The sequel is basically going to be True Detective 2, has nothing to do with the original and if you liked the first you're gonna be angry

preemptive ugh : \

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I finished Barry and loved it, can't wait til next season. Also, I'd seen Vice on YouTube but just discovered it's on HBO, too. I think I'll be keeping my subscription for a while, there's a whole lot of fascinating stuff to get through one Vice.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I just started watching Boardwalk Empire and made it to season 3 and I'm loving it

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Good soup! posted:

I just started watching Boardwalk Empire and made it to season 3 and I'm loving it

Good because S3 is the best

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Oldstench posted:

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

It's probably going to be a while until the next season comes out.

Watching Season 4 of British Baking Show and it's ...addicting. The contestants are not really ruthless with each other, even though it's a competition which is a breath of fresh air compared to American Variety shows.

mystes
May 31, 2006

TV Zombie posted:

Meaning 3 or 4?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

mystes posted:

Meaning 3 or 4?

I'm guessing Season 3 will come out on prime as soon as Season 4 is about to air. That seems to be the general model for releasing content.

mystes
May 31, 2006

TV Zombie posted:

I'm guessing Season 3 will come out on prime as soon as Season 4 is about to air. That seems to be the general model for releasing content.
Isn't 4 just "airing" on amazon? So I don't think that would make too much sense.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

TV Zombie posted:

Watching Season 4 of British Baking Show and it's ...addicting. The contestants are not really ruthless with each other, even though it's a competition which is a breath of fresh air compared to American Variety shows.

It's so much fun to watch. I wish there were more episodes on Netflix.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
What’s good for falling asleep to? Hulu doesn’t have any good mythbusters episodes. Or how it’s made, or anything like that.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What’s good for falling asleep to? Hulu doesn’t have any good mythbusters episodes. Or how it’s made, or anything like that.

Bob Ross episodes on YouTube.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Oldstench posted:

they just finished their last episode on syfy a month or so ago. I imagine in about 6 months or so we'll have season 3

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

MST3K on Netflix/YouTube. I love MST3K but if I'm even a little bit drowsy it puts me right to sleep. Something about the pleasant midwesterness to the jokes

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Deadite posted:

MST3K on Netflix/YouTube. I love MST3K but if I'm even a little bit drowsy it puts me right to sleep. Something about the pleasant midwesterness to the jokes

Seconded I cannot tell you how many times I've fallen asleep. Particularly the Joel episodes; that Wisconsin accent is so soothing.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I'll third it. I love mst3k but if I'm tired it knocks me right out.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

If you're not really trying to watch, Netflix has ambient stuff where you just watch a train ride for some odd hours.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Also there's a thousand 10 hour long videos of thunderstorms on YouTube

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, I’ve tried the ambient stuff but for some reason I prefer listening to people talking. I’ll give MST3K a shot.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Can anyone give their impression of Cuba Libre on Netflix? How do they balance the historians/perspectives presented in the series?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Is there a way to watch the UK version of Vikings on Amazon Prime? I can see the episodes available on amazon.co.uk but it says they aren't available in my area. Do Americans only get the edited episodes?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

https://youtu.be/sIErBrStvxc

https://youtu.be/RuAXYvNh4Rc

https://youtu.be/AHrCI9eSJGQ

https://youtu.be/gfkts0u-m6w

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Home Movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vinesauce Joel and Vinesauce Vinny streams on Youtube

basically an extremely chill dude plays a random game or multiple for several hours and talks and cracks jokes

turn the volume down with Joel if you're trying to sleep, he's... somewhat less chill sometimes (he's the source of the GRAND DAD meme)