Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Taffer posted:

Why not? it's a menial task that is performed many millions of times per day just in the US. That's a prime target for automation. It can be made to be done faster and cheaper, and will free people from doing that awful task, particularly in fast food.

you're being classist again by saying fast food jobs are "awful tasks"

and the process already is faster and cheaper. in giant factories that spit out many thousands of packaged, frozen hamburgers a day. this is not a new invention. i can keep repeating myself if you want me to but a machine that makes whole hamburgers is not a new thing. the only new thing here is that we've shrunk down the factory so you can have the hamburger fresh instead of frozen which kind of defeats the point of it being a factory

Taffer posted:

Exactly where are you getting the numbers that say this is the same cost as a human being?

To pull some numbers completely out of my rear end, say this machine does the work of two people in the same amount of time, and it costs $30,000. Congrats, it's now significantly cheaper than human labor and will pay for itself in a few months. It's probably not there yet, but first generations of something new rarely are.

they're selling burgers at the same cost as a human while claiming they use better ingredients. like, a six dollar burger is perfectly average. if they wanted to impress people about how much cheaper the robot is they'd sell it for like, three bucks - something significantly cheaper. the fact that they aren't doing this even in an complete footrub of an advertising-article is suspicious

it replaces exactly one job - the grill operator. the machine needs to be tended, stocked, cleaned, repaired, etc. those prep and cleanup jobs still exist, as well as all the other jobs in a restaurant such as drink fetcher and fry cooker and floor mopper. your assumption that it replaces two people is evidently wrong

this also touches on the fixed throughput problem. this machine spits out two burgers a minute, no more, no less. the only way to increase your output is to buy additional machines. meanwhile you can task more workers to the burger assembly process on a traditional grill line to increase throughput. you can have multiple people standing next to each other subdividing tasks to up output in times of peak demand. this is a necessary process in foodservice since demand is rarely constant and you will have to do as much as you can to satisfy customers during rushes or else you are straight up losing business. like it doesn't matter if this thing can output 120 burgers an hour, that is just another way of saying you can service 120 customers during the critical 12pm-1pm period. meanwhile the burger joint next door is cranking out well over 200 burgers an hour while employing the same number of people

Taffer posted:

I'm not sure why that's so hard for you to grasp.

you're kind of being arrogant here. you're not engaging with the bulk of my arguments itt and then wondering what i'm confused about. have you ever worked in a commercial kitchen? unless you show an awareness of the multiple other criticisms i've made of this thing (it is inefficient, it is unreliable, it doesn't really do anything new, it's an overpriced gimmick) i'll just have to turn that around and wonder what you aren't grasping about the already extant assembly line process of making burgers quickly for sale and how replacing a dude with a spatula with a silly little factory is actually not at all impressive

Dolphin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMIkWyiJp0k
the best part about this video is the kid that is so retarded as to believe flippy has passed the turing test

this thing actually makes more sense than the tiny burger factory because you aren't dedicating floor space to a machine that makes only burgers and hey, if the robot breaks you can just put it in the walk in and you've still got a functional grill

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

luxury handset posted:

you're being classist again by saying fast food jobs are "awful tasks"

:psyduck:

Wanting a segment of society to not have to engage in dirty, thankless, menial, and underpaid work is "classist"? Wow, uhh, okay.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Taffer posted:

:psyduck:

Wanting a segment of society to not have to engage in dirty, thankless, menial, and underpaid work is "classist"? Wow, uhh, okay.

the only problem here is "underpaid" and you are advocating for these jobs to be replaced with robots, so...

the rest is all value judgements on your part. i guess i have an answer now to my question of if you've ever worked in a commercial kitchen

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
I wonder what happens if it doesn't run for a bit. Do the plethora of bizzare sauces dry out enough to enough to clog the tip of the nozzle? Does the griddle simmer for long enough to cause grease fires? I wonder how badly the lettuce will wilt after being stored in a machine box with a several hundred degree grill.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I haven't, but that's not relevant. I've worked in other dirty, menial, and underpaid jobs before, and I strongly believe the world would be a better place if robots did all of them.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Taffer posted:

I haven't, but that's not relevant. I've worked in other dirty, menial, and underpaid jobs before, and I strongly believe the world would be a better place if robots did all of them.

i strongly believe the world would be a better place if we ensured that everyone, regardless of their vocation, were paid well and treated with dignity rather than being told they have an awful job that is beneath them that should be eradicated asap so they have more time to do ?????

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

luxury handset posted:

i strongly believe the world would be a better place if we ensured that everyone, regardless of their vocation, were paid well and treated with dignity rather than being told they have an awful job that is beneath them that should be eradicated asap so they have more time to do ?????

So that they have more time to do jobs that a robot can't do. I know it's shocking, but people aren't machines, what amount of pay do you think will make turnover at your fast food joint improve?

I worked at a call center that had a turnover rate in the weeks, it was very well paid yet nobody wanted to do it for more than a few months at a time.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

luxury handset posted:

To lead fulfilling lives. This is getting back to the large issue of how a society handles jobs no longer existing: there are lots of very good ideas for how to handle it, and even a few examples of them working. Pretty much universally those examples lead to people being happier, more productive, more engaged in their communities, and more educated. If you doubt this I'll happily dig up some sources once I'm out of work.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Taffer posted:

To lead fulfilling lives. This is getting back to the large issue of how a society handles jobs no longer existing: there are lots of very good ideas for how to handle it, and even a few examples of them working. Pretty much universally those examples lead to people being happier, more productive, more engaged in their communities, and more educated. If you doubt this I'll happily dig up some sources once I'm out of work.

you wonder why i keep calling you classist when you say that working in a kitchen is detrimental to living a fulfilling life

please dont tell other people how and when they should seek fulfillment or nourish their soul, thanks

ElCondemn posted:

So that they have more time to do jobs that a robot can't do. I know it's shocking, but people aren't machines, what amount of pay do you think will make turnover at your fast food joint improve?

$15 an hour would be a good start? also people generally appreciate agency and some level of direction in their lives

let's not get confused at artificially inducing turnover as a tactic to prevent employees from taking root in a job and demanding decent treatment and benefits as being somehow solvable by constantly eroding the labor market via automation. the endemic problems of capitalism will not be solved with machines. we aren't going to force everyone to become artists, poets, and machine technicians by automating away basic jobs, there is still a permanent underclass and there will remain one so long as it serves the interests of capital

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 12, 2018

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Jesus Christ here's what business give a poo poo about.

Is it cheaper or will it make us more money?
No, then don't automate it.
Yes, then automate.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

luxury handset posted:

you wonder why i keep calling you classist when you say that working in a kitchen is detrimental to living a fulfilling life

please dont tell other people how and when they should seek fulfillment or nourish their soul, thanks

How many people do you know who work in fast food for fulfillment and nourishment of their soul?

Creating automation for food preparation in no way, shape, or form prevents people from working in kitchens. This is not a limiting of the human experience, it's an opening that can say "this portion of society is now required to work in a kitchen".

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Taffer posted:

Creating automation for food preparation in no way, shape, or form prevents people from working in kitchens.

before i keep arguing with you about this you need to decide if automation eliminates jobs or not

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

My point is that people can engage in a fulfilling activity (particularly that one) without it being their job. I personally find things I enjoy far more fulfilling if I do them of my own volition rather than being required to do them as part of my job.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Congratulations, you've all managed to find an argument itt worse than "I hate self-driving cars, they are not now nor will they ever be feasible, please stop posting mounting evidence to the contrary," well done.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

luxury handset posted:

let's not get confused at artificially inducing turnover as a tactic to prevent employees from taking root in a job and demanding decent treatment and benefits as being somehow solvable by constantly eroding the labor market via automation. the endemic problems of capitalism will not be solved with machines. we aren't going to force everyone to become artists, poets, and machine technicians by automating away basic jobs, there is still a permanent underclass and there will remain one so long as it serves the interests of capital

We live in reality, where menial work has been steadily and successfully eroded yet there's still a fuckload of jobs. Stifling progress doesn't make things better, these are two different problems and we can do both at the same time. We can improve workers rights and welfare and also eradicate menial work.

luxury handset posted:

before i keep arguing with you about this you need to decide if automation eliminates jobs or not

What point are you trying to make? That we should avoid automation to nourish the soul of the noble fast food worker?

I understand that you've got some folksy ideal about kitchen workers just loving their craft, but the reality is these jobs have high turnover because they're undesirable jobs. No matter the pay people don't like doing robotic mindless work like assembly-lining loving burgers at a drive-thru.

What I assume Taffer is saying is that there will always be a market for the "soul nourished" kitchen workers, but maybe we automate the soul sucking menial jobs instead of acting like it's helpful to keep people working instead of pursuing more "soul nourishing" activities.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Congratulations, you've all managed to find an argument itt worse than "I hate self-driving cars, they are not now nor will they ever be feasible, please stop posting mounting evidence to the contrary," well done.

I would love it if people quit posting poo poo like this, people are discussing poo poo, quit trying to shut people up.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 12, 2018

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ElCondemn posted:

What point are you trying to make? That we should avoid automation to nourish the soul of the noble fast food worker?

i'm pretty directly calling that guy out for being a classist by saying foodservice jobs are just inherently miserable

ElCondemn posted:

I understand that you've got some folksy ideal about kitchen workers just loving their craft, but the reality is these jobs have high turnover because they're undesirable jobs. No matter the pay people don't like doing robotic mindless work like assembly-lining loving burgers at a drive-thru.

they have high turnover because the pay is kept deliberately low to increase profits and prevent workers from agitating for wage increases. it has little to do with the task at hand in many cases. i know foodservice workers who have worked in the same place for a decade+ because the wages are good, benefits are good, and they're treated like human beings who know a valuable skill. none of which has to do with automation. my ideals aren't folksy, they are observations i've gained from working in restaurants and observing career restaurant workers at work. plenty of people like doing robotic mindless work so long as the compensation is worth it

ElCondemn posted:

What I assume Taffer is saying is that there will always be a market for the "soul nourished" kitchen workers, but maybe we automate the soul sucking menial jobs instead of acting like it's helpful to keep people working instead of pursuing more "soul nourishing" activities.

i'm saying that claiming automation is good for people because it prevents them from having to do "bad jobs" is an inherent value judgement as to what makes a job bad or good based on a subjective and personal standpoint

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the unspoken looming spectre here is the star trek style luxury space gay communism where nobody has to work for a living and, i dont think we need to be pulled in that direction right now when talking about how the profit motive which induces turnover and depresses wages is the same profit motive at work behind tiny silly hamburger factories

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

luxury handset posted:

i'm saying that claiming automation is good for people because it prevents them from having to do "bad jobs" is an inherent value judgement as to what makes a job bad or good based on a subjective and personal standpoint

Automation is good because all employment in our society is wage slavery and therefore bad. Life would be better if no one was subjected to it. There, we can stop running in circles around this stupid question. People can engage in fulfilling activities without it being their loving job, I know we live in hyper-capitalism but it's sad to see that people seem to have trouble imagining a persons main source of purpose and fulfillment being anything but their job.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Taffer posted:

Automation is good because all employment in our society is wage slavery and therefore bad. Life would be better if no one was subjected to it. There, we can stop running in circles around this stupid question. People can engage in fulfilling activities without it being their loving job, I know we live in hyper-capitalism but it's sad to see that people seem to have trouble imagining a persons main source of purpose and fulfillment being anything but their job.

this is a pretty weak dodge trying to cover for the fact that you've appointed yourself arbiter between what is a worthwhile job and which jobs are awful

maybe you can stick to your own ideals here and not go around declaring what is a waste of other people's time?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

luxury handset posted:

i'm pretty directly calling that guy out for being a classist by saying foodservice jobs are just inherently miserable

As someone who worked many food service jobs as a teenager and in my early 20s I can say with confidence that nobody working in that industry does it as a first choice. Even the owners of these businesses only do it because it has very low capital and operating costs compared to other industries (in part to low wage workers). It's not classist to call some types of work worse than others, it's just reality.

luxury handset posted:

they have high turnover because the pay is kept deliberately low to increase profits and prevent workers from agitating for wage increases. it has little to do with the task at hand in many cases. i know foodservice workers who have worked in the same place for a decade+ because the wages are good, benefits are good, and they're treated like human beings who know a valuable skill. none of which has to do with automation. my ideals aren't folksy, they are observations i've gained from working in restaurants and observing career restaurant workers at work. plenty of people like doing robotic mindless work so long as the compensation is worth it

I don't agree, doing robotic mindless work is not something people like, it's frankly ridiculous that you're even saying this. Even if people loved being robots I think it's a bad thing for our society to allow that kind of work to be done at all, it provides no avenues for growth intellectually or as part of a career. The reason many food service workers are stuck in that industry is because they're not gaining skills that other employers want to pay for.

Keep in mind I'm talking about menial low wage food service work, not the stuff people go to culinary school for.

luxury handset posted:

I think you're wrong, we can quantify what makes jobs good or bad pretty easily.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

luxury handset posted:

the unspoken looming spectre here is the star trek style luxury space gay communism where nobody has to work for a living and, i dont think we need to be pulled in that direction right now when talking about how the profit motive which induces turnover and depresses wages is the same profit motive at work behind tiny silly hamburger factories

Good thing Star trek luxury space communism is a complete fantasy on multiple levels, and our actual future is a mass micro-surveillance neo-feudal dystopia, followed quickly by near-extinction due to climate change and/or nuclear holocaust, so the theory for the former is purely academic.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

luxury handset posted:

this is a pretty weak dodge trying to cover for the fact that you've appointed yourself arbiter between what is a worthwhile job and which jobs are awful

maybe you can stick to your own ideals here and not go around declaring what is a waste of other people's time?

I think we can safely say that doing robotic mindless work is bad. It's your problem that you think it's fine.

Good thing Star trek luxury space communism is a complete fantasy on multiple levels, and our actual future is a mass micro-surveillance neo-feudal dystopia, followed quickly by near-extinction due to climate change and/or nuclear holocaust, so the theory for the former is purely academic.

We got a real fortune teller over here!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ElCondemn posted:

As someone who worked many food service jobs as a teenager and in my early 20s I can say with confidence that nobody working in that industry does it as a first choice. Even the owners of these businesses only do it because it has very low capital and operating costs compared to other industries (in part to low wage workers). It's not classist to call some types of work worse than others, it's just reality.

I don't agree, doing robotic mindless work is not something people like, it's frankly ridiculous that you're even saying this. Even if people loved being robots I think it's a bad thing for our society to allow that kind of work to be done at all, it provides no avenues for growth intellectually or as part of a career. The reason many food service workers are stuck in that industry is because they're not gaining skills that other employers want to pay for.

Keep in mind I'm talking about menial low wage food service work, not the stuff people go to culinary school for.

I think you're wrong, we can quantify what makes jobs good or bad pretty easily.

i was going to respond to this in a bit more detail but all i can say is that my anecdotal experiences in life are pretty different and also i think this is kind of snobbish. i'm really not interested anymore in arguing about what jobs are intrinsically worthwhile and which are not based on some kind of arbitrary standard of education or skill required or the happiness you personally felt doing these tasks

ElCondemn posted:

I think we can safely say that doing robotic mindless work is bad. It's your problem that you think it's fine.

:shrug: you're wrong is all i can say. people garden for a hobby for example. there's i think a hesitation to separate what you personally find fulfilling with what others may find fulfilling

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

luxury handset posted:

i was going to respond to this in a bit more detail but all i can say is that my anecdotal experiences in life are pretty different and also i think this is kind of snobbish. i'm really not interested anymore in arguing about what jobs are intrinsically worthwhile and which are not based on some kind of arbitrary standard of education or skill required or the happiness you personally felt doing these tasks

:shrug: you're wrong is all i can say. people garden for a hobby for example. there's i think a hesitation to separate what you personally find fulfilling with what others may find fulfilling

Gardening is different than being a Gardner.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

luxury handset posted:

I love to clean my apartment. It's one of my favorite things to do! I do it in some form every single day for a non-trivial amount of time. Ergo, based on your arguments, I would love a job as a janitor.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

2 edgy 4 me

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
We've all seen some pretty terrible arguments in D&D, and "let's keep fast food jobs around because they're fulfilling" is definitely up there.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cicero posted:

We've all seen some pretty terrible arguments in D&D, and "let's keep fast food jobs around because they're fulfilling" is definitely up there.

my argument is actually that it is classist to say that foodservice jobs are not fulfilling but people really dont like it when you call them classist for saying that some jobs are inherently worthless

anyway this has nothing to do with automation and it's entirely about people's personal feelings, so - i maintain the tiny burger factory is pointless for reasons above and beyond job dislocation

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 12, 2018

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

It's a moot point anyway, because the wheels of automation will keep on turning, because capitalism demands higher productivity for less money no matter the collateral damage. The destruction of the driver job market will be absolute chaos, but capitalism doesn't care.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Taffer posted:

It's a moot point anyway, because the wheels of automation will keep on turning, because capitalism demands higher productivity for less money no matter the collateral damage. The destruction of the driver job market will be absolute chaos, but capitalism doesn't care.

thank you for giving up on this argument

automation doesn't always march on relentlessly though. sometimes it leads to a pointless dead end. do you own a roomba?

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

ElCondemn posted:

I worked at a call center that had a turnover rate in the weeks, it was very well paid yet nobody wanted to do it for more than a few months at a time.

A living wage would certainly be a start. I'm curious what you define as "very well paid" for call center work.

Taffer posted:

How many people do you know who work in fast food for fulfillment and nourishment of their soul?

I don't have any friends in fast food; but I have a lot of friends who work in kitchens for restaurants. They tend to love what they do; what they hate is the mediocre pay. I'm open to the idea that fast food is vastly different in this respect, but I imagine most people's problems are the pay.

The idea of having to find work that "nourishes" the soul seems absurd. Like great if you can find that; but most people work because they need to pay the bills. And jobs like fast food aren't inherently demeaning because of the work that is employed, the problem is always the pay.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Raldikuk posted:

A living wage would certainly be a start.

Why go that far and no farther? If robots can do the work at mcdonalds let robots do the work and give the people living wages anyway. It seems like the most nightmare compromise to live in a world robots COULD be doing the menial labor but we aren't letting them because of some monstrous charity that we are intentionally forcing people to do the bad jobs performatively to earn a wage in tasks that don't even need to exist.

Like if you are going to force people to do fake jobs you could make them like, cook for orphans or something actually nice and good, not work at micky Ds.

If you can envision a society where people can get a living wage doing low skill menial labor jobs you surely can imagine a world where people can get a living wage not doing those jobs.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why go that far and no farther? If robots can do the work at mcdonalds let robots do the work and give the people living wages anyway. It seems like the most nightmare compromise to live in a world robots COULD be doing the menial labor but we aren't letting them because of some monstrous charity that we are intentionally forcing people to do the bad jobs performatively to earn a wage in tasks that don't even need to exist.

That's the world we live in, though: companies don't put in a serious effort to automate these days until the economy contracts and forces them to make up production for the labor they felt the need to "skim off".

We're in a hiring boom right now, and that will continue right up until the point everyone realizes a recession has started and market corrections start happening very quickly, Will E Coyote-style.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

That's the world we live in, though:

So what? people have lived all sorts of different ways. Stuff changes all the time. "That is just the way it is" could be used to explain why all sorts of historical awful things just had to be the way they are.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why go that far and no farther?

Why not read what I said? Or do you think that starts are also always the finish?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Raldikuk posted:

Why not read what I said? Or do you think that starts are also always the finish?

It just seems like such a rotten attitude. To get to the idea that people that work at mcdonalds should have a living wage but the people that don't work at mcdonalds can wait till later. ESPECIALLY in the context of some future machine obsoleting the mcdonalds jobs. What good was helping the mcdonalds people right at the end of their existence as a career if the fear is they will not exist soon?

And like, mcdonalds jobs especially, if we are going to make people do make work jobs to deserve a wage we as a society can just decide to make them do something more useful than that. Let robots run mcdonalds. And either pay people even if they aren't employed OR employ them in stuff that betters society. Answers of "that is just how it is darling" are lame and all sorts of bad past systems have been changed all through human history.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It doesn't seem to be expensive or take particularly long. Whatever inefficiency it has seems to not impact the metrics a person would care about. Like it costs 6 dollars and takes 5 minutes to cook to order.

That seems absurdly cheap and fast for the supposed quality. Like even if they are lying about the organic vegitables and fresh baked bread being any good that is highly competitive if it's even like, five guys or applebees quality.

The secret is that it's actually really really easy to cook a hamburger patty.

Put it on a hot griddle, flip it after a bit,, let it sit there for a couple more minutes, then put it on a bun. That's all.

It's so simple, in fact, that there's barely anything to even automate because there's so little human intervention. Even if you build a machine to automatically put the burger on the griddle, flip it, and take it off when it's done, you're not actually saving any time or effort, you're just moving it around. In other words, you replace "having a human slap a patty on the griddle" with "having a human put a patty in a machine that slaps it on the griddle"...

...except, of course, that it actually requires more work from the human, because placing burger patties into the machine is likely more complex than simply tossing them into an open spot on the griddle. That's not an unsolvable problem if you're doing industrial-scale food production or working with packaged/frozen burgers, but that doesn't exactly fit into the "bespoke artisanal robot restaurant using fresh local ingredients" concept we're discussing. And there's the problems of versatility, space utilization, and reliability too - the robot loses out to humans on all three.

Like I said, if an automatic burger cooker were viable in the restaurant space, it'd already be as commonplace. The question is this: what technological breakthrough in the last ten years makes robotic burger makers more viable than they were before?

Taffer posted:

To pull some numbers completely out of my rear end, say this machine does the work of two people in the same amount of time, and it costs $30,000. Congrats, it's now significantly cheaper than human labor and will pay for itself in a few months. It's probably not there yet, but first generations of something new rarely are.

I'm not sure why that's so hard for you to grasp. This is like people making GBS threads all over the first car and saying it'll never take off because it's slower and more difficult to maintain than horses. Like, no poo poo, it was the first version of something completely new. And before you say that robots have been making food - not like this they haven't. Factories have been pumping out bulk, prepackaged, specifically prepared foods for decades. Robots haven't been doing all or nearly-all of the cooking and assembling of a relatively complex and highly variable meal as a last-step before reaching the consumer. Don't be disingenuous.

It probably does the work of half a person, likely costs at least five times that amount, and generates at least three times as much cleaning and maintenance work as a normal human at a griddle would. And it's hardly the breakthrough you're suggesting - robots have been cooking and assembling meals more complex than a cheeseburger for decades. Those tubes full of ready-to-slice toppings could have come straight from a frozen dinner assembly line.

To your larger point about eliminating pointless drudge work, this machine doesn't even do that. All it does is remove all the creative and involved work from cooking and replace it with extra shifts at the dish pit. As I said above, cooking a burger is already a pretty low-labor task, and feeding and maintaining this machine will take as much labor as just cooking the burgers would have. So there'll still be fast food workers, it's just that their job will be to feed and maintain the burger machine instead of cooking the burgers themselves.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It just seems like such a rotten attitude. To get to the idea that people that work at mcdonalds should have a living wage but the people that don't work at mcdonalds can wait till later. ESPECIALLY in the context of some future machine obsoleting the mcdonalds jobs. What good was helping the mcdonalds people right at the end of their existence as a career if the fear is they will not exist soon?

I see you still have problems reading. I never have suggested only McDonald's workers should have a living wage. The question was what would help reduce turnover in fast food. My answer? A living wage would be a start.

Do you have anything to contribute regarding that? Or should I leave you be with your strawmen?

Lol tho at the concern trolling that it isn't even worth fighting for a living wage because by golly fast food workers are going to be made obsolete.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The real innovation here is this means assholes can order food without worrying the disgruntled employees in the back will spit in it. Now it will have to be generalized and the employees will have to spit in the supply and thus spit in everyone's food instead, which health inspectors can more easily catch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

quote:

The question is this: what technological breakthrough in the last ten years makes robotic burger makers more viable than they were before?

Main Paineframe posted:

robots have been cooking and assembling meals more complex than a cheeseburger for decades. Those tubes full of ready-to-slice toppings could have come straight from a frozen dinner assembly line.

Large scale complex robotic food preparation in factories is the answer to why we are now able to make small scale made to order food preparation. So now you can eat the frozen dinner before it's a frozen dinner and made to order to your specifications.