Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Pierson posted:

Are Ushabti Greatbows meant to be replacing my skeleton spearmen when I get access to them or do they fill different niches? I don't generally go with much ranged because I love weird monsters too much and Tomb Kings have so many different type of Weird Cool poo poo.

Halberd Tomb Guard have been my replacement for them at a ratio of 1:2, freeing up space for constructs. I've found ushabti greatbow effective as poo poo with only 2 paired with a bone giant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

Oof, trying to push through the Gate near Alarielle early on is rough.
You should be able to hit the gate with a full stack by turn 7 or so after taking the interior provinces, and it shouldn't be too difficult a fight.

Pick a side and abuse firing sight lines.

EDIT: Oh right you should be prioritizing archers over spears. Also Alarielle and handmaiden up the wall first.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 12, 2018

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Pierson posted:

Are Ushabti Greatbows meant to be replacing my skeleton spearmen when I get access to them or do they fill different niches? I don't generally go with much ranged because I love weird monsters too much and Tomb Kings have so many different type of Weird Cool poo poo.

Did you mean skeleton archers? I tend to run both just because I don’t have the option to go full great bows (but if I could I would).

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Regular archers are better against things like skaven slaves, each arrow from the ushabti will only kill unit model, so 12 every time they fire if they all hit, but that isn't what they should be shooting at.

As soon as the armor goes up, unit models drop, and Shields come into play ushabti become so much more effective, Regular archers still have their niche and uses, as previously mentioned ushabti great bows are limited to a Max of 1 per large settlement you control.

Ushabti great bows are also very good in sieges versus gates and towers and kill them faster than a bone giant does.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The big mistake people make with alariaelle campaigns imho is going straight for the shrine of Khaine after taking the gate. Like dude you’ve just secured a crazy easy to defend position and all of Saphery is right there for you to blitzkreig

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I love playing VC, but for the last few weeks (at least), I've experienced a lot of texture glitches when zoomed in at least 30%. Vargheist wing/claw joints extend to infinity, as do skeleton heads. Quite annoying.

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!

drgnvale posted:

I love playing VC, but for the last few weeks (at least), I've experienced a lot of texture glitches when zoomed in at least 30%. Vargheist wing/claw joints extend to infinity, as do skeleton heads. Quite annoying.

Working as intended

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

drgnvale posted:

We have surpassed Nagash.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

drgnvale posted:

Skulls for the sk.....nope, nope, nope

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

drgnvale posted:

BEYOND YOUR COMPREHENSION

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Anyone who hasn't signed up yet still has about 24 hours before we start the TW2 Goonhammer Tournament so what are you waiting for?

https://challonge.com/h4j82eza

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1438446448

This looks like it could be really fun or really, really buggy

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Azran posted:

Good catch, im gonna give it a go and see what happens!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Azran posted:

Oh poo poo this sounds fun.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so how many heroes do ya'll use in armies in the campaign? In other games, I've only ever used 1-2 tops, but in my Tomb Kings campaign I've been building armies with one of each and it seems to work, since a tomb prince seems to do about as well as a unit of skeletons, a necrotect is needed to buff constructs universally, and liche priests with Nehekaran magic seem to like double the effectiveness of units

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Azran posted:

Cool! Suggestions for a good lord to try this with?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

drgnvale posted:

That happened to me for a little while recently until I verified the game files and found some stuff missing. Might have been a patch going wonky.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I was also having a problem with that, on the world map with some characters. If they were on screen, their textures would be stretched out over the whole screen. Seems to have gone away when I updated my video drivers though.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
did CA really intend night goblin fanatics to be able to take half a dwarf units health with their special attack because im pretty sure that's not Good Balance

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean...what unit?

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Its balanced by being hard to hit with it basically, gotta do some juke moves for it to hit solidly but when you do satisfaction arises!

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Ammanas posted:

did CA really intend night goblin fanatics to be able to take half a dwarf units health with their special attack because im pretty sure that's not Good Balance

However, this does match my expectations of tabletop warhammer. Fanatics were no joke if they landed a good hit.

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013

Azran posted:

This is exactly the kind of mod I asked about a few pages ago!

Oh god this makes me so excited! Some factions are going to be so hard to confederate, I can only imagine how hard Bretonnia will be in this! Has anyone tried it yet? Any common bugs we should be aware of etc etc?

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jum-Jum posted:

This is exactly the kind of mod I asked about a few pages ago!

Oh god this makes me so excited! Some factions are going to be so hard to confederate, I can only imagine how hard Bretonnia will be in this! Has anyone tried it yet? Any common bugs we should be aware of etc etc?

I've just tried starting the mod a couple times, the loading bar goes to full then you have to wait a couple of minutes before the actual game starts.

Oh and why would it be hard as Bretonnia? If anything it should be easier since you can now most likely attack and expand your territory like other factions without losing the Chiv.

Also, it seems most minor settlements just get straight blown up so prepare for a lot of recolonizing.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Also i made this today:

Which is a screenshot i took:

Using this: https://www269.lunapic.com/editor/?action=dark

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013

Gejnor posted:

I've just tried starting the mod a couple times, the loading bar goes to full then you have to wait a couple of minutes before the actual game starts.

Oh and why would it be hard as Bretonnia? If anything it should be easier since you can now most likely attack and expand your territory like other factions without losing the Chiv.

Also, it seems most minor settlements just get straight blown up so prepare for a lot of recolonizing.

When I played Bretonnia I played fairly safe, took Marienburg, killed Orcs, fought Mousillion. I relied a lot on confederation after that, but this was when Bretonnia was first released. So I just assumed being stuck in the middle of nowhere would be really difficult for them.

Also lol... just started a Skrolk campaign and was moved a whole whooping 2 settlements away from his original starting pos! Time for a new loading screen.
EDIT: This time in Itza... goddamnit! hahah

Jum-Jum fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 12, 2018

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Ammanas posted:

It's a tier 4 infantry that is otherwise has low stats and is kind of marginal in its use. You can get alot of value out of fanatics, but it takes some work. They are also pretty easy to dodge if you don't have stubby dwarf legs.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The chaos and norsca campaigns would be so much better if Louen, Kislev, and the various imperials weren't so insanely gung-ho about colonizing random cities in the far north.

Like how is it that Karl and Louen colonize Norsca faster than awakened tribes or Moulder? Shouldn’t their stacks have enemies down south to fight?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The chaos and norsca campaigns would be so much better if Louen, Kislev, and the various imperials weren't so insanely gung-ho about colonizing random cities in the far north.

Like how is it that Karl and Louen colonize Norsca faster than awakened tribes or Moulder? Shouldn’t their stacks have enemies down south to fight?

The AI has internal settings that make it favor actions that move near and gently caress with areas in or around the player. This is why you sometimes see Karl Franz's stack on the south end of Estalia when you're playing Tomb Kings despite it making literally zero sense for him to be there.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Well this was an unexpectedly cool post to come back to :D

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

My most recent experience with fanatics was with them as part of a reinforcing army... the "they come in directly behind you" reinforcement garbage, that is. And they had like 4 NG w/ fanatic units, which all released the instant the AI judged them to be far enough onto the map to do so. It was incredibly Fun and Engaging "tactics" with no counterplay whatsoever.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Gejnor posted:

Its balanced by being hard to hit with it basically, gotta do some juke moves for it to hit solidly but when you do satisfaction arises!

The ai is nearly perfect with it's decision making and release angle. I just had a battle where one release halved the health of a dwarf warrior then spun through 3 quarrelers, taking half health there too. That's one release from one unit. Yeah it punishes blobbing as dwarves but that's just about their only strength. Wildly powerful in the AIs hands. Dwarves are terrible too though.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Ammanas posted:

The ai is nearly perfect with it's decision making and release angle. I just had a battle where one release halved the health of a dwarf warrior then spun through 3 quarrelers, taking half health there too. That's one release from one unit. Yeah it punishes blobbing as dwarves but that's just about their only strength. Wildly powerful in the AIs hands. Dwarves are terrible too though.

There are so many things wrong with this post.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ammanas posted:

:yeshaha:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
do not blob

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Don't blob as Dwarfs. Specially on campaign you want to split your army into two or three formations that can support each other with firepower.

Alternately go with the following visual guide on gun formations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Incidentally, the chevron set-up with Helblasters is, uh, ridiculously good. They have a much smaller footprint than handgunners so your melee lines can be a bit tighter together and their main downside (a lack of mobility) is negated by the fact that you've decided to deploy in a chevron anyway. Also, bringing artillery (Luminarks are nice because they can be deployed in the middle of the formation and still shoot) means the enemy has to come to you. The big weakness is ranged-heavy armies because your ranged units are probably outranged once you pull back into the chevron (Helblasters also helpful here)

Also its a pain in the rear end to set-up and nothing makes me wish I had the ability to pre-save formations across battles more than it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Yeah the chevron formation is pretty much objectively the strongest for Empire/Dwarfs but it's extremely annoying to set up constantly. Hell, a lot of the time it gets tiresome even setting up simple checkerboards. Pre-saved formations would own.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Azran posted:

I have been waiting for this forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Well this was an unexpectedly cool post to come back to :D

I'm glad you liked it!

I also used the filter on my avatar to make this new improved and possibly terrifying bear that will come into your room at night and glow at you with his yellow gleaming eyes because SA needs money and i liked the way it looked!

Also the basic crying bear avatar is used by a lot of people online I've noticed so it distinguishes me a bit without having to change it entirely!