Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
so picked up three things with sales from the 4th

first was a motu ultralight mk4 to replace my mx-1 as my audio interface

second was a set of iLoud Micro Monitors since part of the deal i made with my wife was that i would do everything through headphones when i got back into music like 5 years ago

divorce loving owns

and last is this little thing which will complete my pedalboard who the gently caress am i kidding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Biggest Meltdowner posted:

I pulled the trigger. A dumb rear end Charvel is on its way to my abode.

I should have got the Satchel signature model.

Is it that shell pink and roasted maple one? UNF.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I keep hearing a lot about roasted maple these days. It looks a lot better than I thought it might, but still a weird middle ground between Maple and Rosewood.

Makes you wonder why they don’t do more baked or roasted rosewood fret boards. Seems like you could get something really close to ebony if you started with an already very dark wood. It would definitely be better then the weird, washed out, visibly grainy look of Rosewood you find these days.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
rosewood's gone because of CITES, not because people didn't like it

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I remember when rosewood seemed pedestrian. :(

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Is it that shell pink and roasted maple one? UNF.

No. It's along those lines tho.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
maple>rosewood :colbert:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gringostar posted:

maple>rosewood :colbert:
ebony>both maple and rosewood :smugbert:

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
wenge is the king of woods. wenge neck + fingerboard is the easiest way to separate me from my money.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Wark Say posted:

ebony>both maple and rosewood :smugbert:

:bisonyes:

Ebony is always the right choice.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I've had a few guitars with ebony fretboards. I still prefer rosewood.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I don't think rosewood can be nearly as sexy as this, so ebony is clearly superior :colbert:

It seems quite likely that I will get a MarkBass 2x12 cab soon... I want an Aguilar setup, but they are expensive as balls and a MarkBass 122 should be able to throw plenty of noise while still weighing 2/3 as much as my current small-ish SWR gig rig.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

GreatGreen posted:

I keep hearing a lot about roasted maple these days. It looks a lot better than I thought it might, but still a weird middle ground between Maple and Rosewood.

Makes you wonder why they don’t do more baked or roasted rosewood fret boards. Seems like you could get something really close to ebony if you started with an already very dark wood. It would definitely be better then the weird, washed out, visibly grainy look of Rosewood you find these days.

I did some reading on the process and so far the research indicates that certain wood species react much differently to the torrification process than others. Basically, you stick the wood pieces you want into a chamber and heat it to the point that the wood would naturally catch fire, then pump the chamber full of steam to moisten the wood just enough that it doesn't. Whatever you put in there is getting a really intense sauna, essentially. After the moisture inside the wood has been baked out, you keep roasting it until you get the color you want.

In the study I found, woods like rosewood, ebony, Spanish cedar, and mahogany exploded during early tests, and more research is needed to get a safer method of torrification for them (and other exotic species). Spruce, alder, maple, and birch all faired much better and also happen to be much cheaper, so you roast much larger quantities of them at a time.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 7, 2018

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Ebony looks and feels cool, but has absolute garbage stability. Gimme Richlite any day.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

The Science Goy posted:

It seems quite likely that I will get a MarkBass 2x12 cab soon... I want an Aguilar setup, but they are expensive as balls and a MarkBass 122 should be able to throw plenty of noise while still weighing 2/3 as much as my current small-ish SWR gig rig.

My band mates always jump at carrying my 210 Markbass combo, and it always seems like the SWR 2x10 is there for me to carry.

Good on em’ for carrying any of my gear though :cheers:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Your rig is pretty sweet, I like it. I bet the SWR is quite a bit heavier than your combo even with the head installed.

The MarkBass 2x12 will be 2/3 the weight of my SWR 2x10t but can take 4x the power. It looks like I'll be able to get it later this month based on our band bank account, upcoming gigs and projected album expenses.

E: my guys are usually fine with carrying my big or little cab depending on which I bring. The big cab has wheels so it is quite manageable. We also all do equal schlepping for drums - glad that everyone helps move the lovely stuff instead of sticking it to one person.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
More photo evidence of my slow descent into eventual financial ruin:

At this point it just makes merzbow-esque droning fart noises.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That's the Sweetwater pic. I wanted to post my own pic but they were worse.

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 11, 2018

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I also got the THR10x and they sound lovely together.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Congrats on a combo to end all combos.

Srsly gonna end up with a Charvel sooner than later. They’re making my favorite super Strats

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

That's the Sweetwater pic. I wanted to post my own pic but they were worse.

Nice, I have the black on white with a hard tail. I think Charvel really has the best bang for the buck these days. I have 2 now, eyeing a 3rd.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Charvel, it’s a Strat that isn’t embarrassing looking. :getin:

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 13, 2018

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Charvel, it’s a Strat that isn’t embarrassing looking. :getin:

there's no reply powerful enough for this post

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
I love that color. It's like... orangey-red? Chevy Engine red? Help me out here...

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

betterinsodapop posted:

I love that color. It's like... orangey-red? Chevy Engine red? Help me out here...

it's just a little less red than pure, true red. little more white.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It is called Rocket Red, which I think might be a dick joke. It is a weird pink/orange/red but still mostly red depending on the light. It's nice.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
It reminds me of the brighter red Ferrari used for their F1 cars for a while, which assumes appropriate for a Charvel.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I have never really been interested in Charvel guitars until that post.

Now I've looked over the whole Charvel website and want at least three of them. Goddamit. WELP THANKS A LOT, THREAD.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

Now I've looked over the whole Charvel website and want at least three of them. Goddamit. WELP THANKS A LOT, THREAD.

They have all these crazy pro mods for jazz cats I wasn't aware of. They're purty but I ended up with the butt rocker.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

They have all these crazy pro mods for jazz cats I wasn't aware of. They're purty but I ended up with the butt rocker.

How could you not? They're awesome butt rock guitars.

Seems like they do a perfect "sleasy strat" kind of stringy high gain tone you find in the best super strats from all the youtube videos I've seen.

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

GreatGreen posted:

Go on ebay and buy one of the 80s pointy lipstick Charvels and we'll consider letting you into the club.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

How could you not? They're awesome butt rock guitars.

I'll have to agree with that.

Two things about the neck-- it's got more figuring then I figured it would and it took me a minute to get used to it. Now I really like it.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it's funny that it took fender 30 years and buying a separate company to come up with the ideal superstrat

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Every time I decide it’s superstrat time I get stuck between Charvel and Ibanez. I like the rounded more traditional edges of the Charvel a lot but Ibanez is rad.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Every time I decide it’s superstrat time I get stuck between Charvel and Ibanez. I like the rounded more traditional edges of the Charvel a lot but Ibanez is rad.

I’ve always considered Ibanez guitars either pure heavy metal guitars or pure shredder guitars, with the venn diagram between the two categories being almost but not quite a circle. Charvels strike me as a lot more thematically versatile, but ultimately specializing most in rock / cock metal.

Also, Ibanez tries to seem serious business but comes off as goofy and ridiculous, whereas Charvel tries to seem goofy and ridiculous but somehow manages to come across as a serious, respectable instrument.

There’s plenty of room for both by the way, and I love my absolutely retarded Ibanez Jem Jr., for what it’s worth.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 15, 2018

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The Ibanez S540 I have definitely feels like my least ridiculous/most respectable guitar, its not stupidly pointy like the RGs and the black stained wood is really tasteful IMHO (we'll just ignore the Edge Pro iii trem). It sounds really nice on clean/mellower tones as opposed to the RG which just gives the impression someone stuck a tight muzzle on a mastiff.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

I’ve always considered Ibanez guitars either pure heavy metal guitars or pure shredder guitars, with the venn diagram between the two categories being almost but not quite a circle. Charvels strike me as a lot more thematically versatile, but ultimately specializing most in rock / cock metal.

Also, Ibanez tries to seem serious business but comes off as goofy and ridiculous, whereas Charvel tries to seem goofy and ridiculous but somehow manages to come across as a serious, respectable instrument.

There’s plenty of room for both by the way, and I love my absolutely retarded Ibanez Jem Jr., for what it’s worth.
I get what you're saying, but what I like about the Ibanez is the deep cutaways for upper fret access, the all-access neck-joint (although I only have a couple of those); but I feel the Ibanez (for my taste) is better served when the original electronics are swapped out for more vintage-sounding humbuckers with a series/parallel switching. Gives you the great ergonomics of the Ibanez with more traditional, less metal-ly tones.

Works for me, anyway. I always wanted to be a shredder but, alas, it does not appear to be in the cards for me.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Wheee another cab (SWR 2x10 not pictured)

Filtered for my Instagram vanity.

I really like my big cab but it's a pain in the rear end to move. This MarkBass has plenty of thump but weighs a lot less. It sounded great at rehearsal tonight, and I look forward to pushing it a bit more at one of this weekend's gigs.

Now I just need to remove that massive logo from the grill...

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Those yellow cones look cool. I kind of like the logo too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
Really can't stand the whole "bass cab gets metal grille" aesthetic