Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

mllaneza posted:

And amazingly enough the recent Punisher series (including his bits in S2 of Daredevil) are really good and contain actual nuance. S1 ends with Frank going to a support group for veterans with PTSD. Highly recommended, it's probably the best of the Marvel/Netflix series so far.
100% this. The Netflix Punisher is my favorite (and imo, hands down the absolute best) version of the Punisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Jason Aaron's run on Punisher Max is still a little better IMHO but only because of the ending.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

NorgLyle posted:

Jason Aaron's run on Punisher Max is still a little better IMHO but only because of the ending.

Hey, this is wildly off-topic, but I've been watching Boardwalk Empire recently, and is your avatar an animated version of Arnold Rothstein from that show? Because if so, that's a very specific reference and I like it. If not, you should know that it looks very much like a cartoon Arnold Rothstein from Boardwalk Empire. :)

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

oldpainless posted:

I read a comic where...captain America...is a nazi.

Lately Marvel comics has been throwing a bunch of stuff at the wall to see what sticks before they hand ideas over to their much more lucrative movie division and I'm really curious what they'd be workshopping with this.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cap was already a fascist in the Civil War movie.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

beats for junkies posted:

Hey, this is wildly off-topic, but I've been watching Boardwalk Empire recently, and is your avatar an animated version of Arnold Rothstein from that show? Because if so, that's a very specific reference and I like it. If not, you should know that it looks very much like a cartoon Arnold Rothstein from Boardwalk Empire. :)

I propose that it is, seeing as the text underneath is a modified Rothstein quote from that very show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL8-5pKG_E8&t=150s

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 20:33 on Jul 12, 2018

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

beats for junkies posted:

It absolutely is. Rothstein was my favorite character on that show by tiny margin, barely beating out Meyer Lansky who was also spectacular, and the malfunctioning prohibition robot portrayed by Michael Shannon (trying not to spoil too much).

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Cat Hatter posted:

Lately Marvel comics has been throwing a bunch of stuff at the wall to see what sticks before they hand ideas over to their much more lucrative movie division and I'm really curious what they'd be workshopping with this.

I’m firmly of the belief that Marvel Comics is now the testing ground for stuff they can get away with in the MCU. In the comics they’ve replaced most of the Avengers (Captain America, Iron Man, The Hulk, Thor) and I wouldn’t be surprised at all of it was to have an actual basis for when they replace Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, et al.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Literally all of those guys are back now.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Android Apocalypse posted:

I’m firmly of the belief that Marvel Comics is now the testing ground for stuff they can get away with in the MCU. In the comics they’ve replaced most of the Avengers (Captain America, Iron Man, The Hulk, Thor) and I wouldn’t be surprised at all of it was to have an actual basis for when they replace Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, et al.

There are no more stand alone Iron Man, Thor, or Captain America movies so...yeah, they are replacing all of them.

If they stick to trilogies there are what? 2 more Spidermen and Black Panthers, and 1 more Ant-Man? Maybe?

When that's done Disney reboots the X-Men and then in 2035 starts over with a new Iron Man, by which time an ancient Robert Downey Jr will do the Stan Lee trick of cameoing in every movie.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

NorgLyle posted:

It absolutely is. Rothstein was my favorite character on that show by tiny margin, barely beating out Meyer Lansky who was also spectacular, and the malfunctioning prohibition robot portrayed by Michael Shannon (trying not to spoil too much).

Boardwalk Empire had so many good characters and potential but just fell flat. I can think of like 10 different people in that show that were incredible but I don’t have fond memories of the actual show somehow. I don’t know of any other series I feel this way about.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Krispy Wafer posted:

If they stick to trilogies there are what? 2 more Spidermen and Black Panthers, and 1 more Ant-Man? Maybe?

Plus a couple more Doctors Strange. If Captain Marvel does well, which it probably will, we'll be getting a couple more of those I bet. Let's be honest, the problem probably isn't going to be them running out of superheroes.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Harton posted:

Boardwalk Empire had so many good characters and potential but just fell flat. I can think of like 10 different people in that show that were incredible but I don’t have fond memories of the actual show somehow. I don’t know of any other series I feel this way about.
The real central issue with Boardwalk Empire, as you pointed out, is that Nucky was one of the least interesting people on the show but was, sadly, our POV protagonist. Eli turned into a deeper character by the end of the series and he's one of the least appealing Nuckplacements.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'd be on board for 2 more Hulk movies myself, but I'm probably in the minority. I'd like to know what happened to Blonsky and that Leader dude. I liked Incredible Hulk a lot and think it's underrated.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'd be on board for 2 more Hulk movies myself, but I'm probably in the minority. I'd like to know what happened to Blonsky and that Leader dude. I liked Incredible Hulk a lot and think it's underrated.

Harton posted:

Nah, it was really good. Maybe a little on the slow side compared to other HBO stuff like The Wire or Sopranos but I always thought it got a bad rap.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Cap being a Nazi is oddly prescient in light of...things.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

BiggerBoat posted:

Nah, it was really good. Maybe a little on the slow side compared to other HBO stuff like The Wire or Sopranos but I always thought it got a bad rap.

It just ended on such a lame, anti-climatic note. Jimmy Darmody's son, who hasn't been around the entire last season, does in Nucky? I thought they did alright tying up most character loose ends (whoever was still present in that last season) but I didn't think that spoiled bit even needed to happen.

Nurse Jackie does the same thing. It's like the curse of premium cable shows.

And I would like more Hulk movies. And my old co-worker friend who was the walking comic-encyclopedia is still dreaming of a Thing/Hulk showdown onscreen. Hopefully he gets his wish now.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Nothing is “on the slow side” compared to the Wire. The only show I’ve seen that comes close is Rectify.

Side note: everyone should watch Rectify

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
Hulk's actually not gonna get his own movies for the forseeable future because of rights snarl; Universal has the rights to using the Hulk's name for movies, and they don't wanna make any more (either in full or in the MCU, I dunno), so while he gets to be in other movies he won't be getting a standalone.

The only way you'd get more Hulk movies is in the vein of Thor Ragnarok, where they have a Hulk story (in that case an adaptation of Planet Hulk) in somebody else's movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Universal has the distribution rights, but Disney has the production rights.

So Disney can make one, while Universal can't, but Universal would have to be allowed to distribute it (and make a lot of money.)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Why make a deal like thst?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

oldpainless posted:

Why make a deal like thst?

Sony had the rights to all of the Marvel characters in the early 2000s, and sold off the Avengers characters for like $25 million because they didn't see a future in making Avengers movies.

Deals are made for all sorts of dumb reasons that either don't make any sense in hindsight, or only make sense when you apply the filter of Hollywood Accounting. Hollywood Accounting is how you manage to come up with the result that Return of the Jedi (production budget $32.5 million, worldwide box office $572 million) didn't make any money so you magically don't have to pay David Prowse any residuals.

Memento has a new favorite as of 03:05 on Jul 13, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well it wasn't originally that way. Universal had Hulk production rights too. My guess would be that Marvel made some kind of deal to get Hulk rights back so he could be in their universe, under the condition Universal still got to distribute.

The MCU started before the Disney purchase, after all. The first phase of the MCU was distributed by Paramount, except Hulk. Avengers was the first Disney distributed MCU movie.

Memento posted:

Sony had the rights to all of the Marvel characters in the early 2000s, and sold off the Avengers characters for like $25 million because they didn't see a future in making Avengers movies.

Not quite. Sony was offered everything, but turned it down because they only wanted Spider-Man.

At the time, they were absolutely right too. Iron Man was a huge gamble, he was a firm C lister when they made that movie. The reason Marvel had the characters they did at the start of the MCU was because they were considered of little value and Sony/Fox/Universal didn't want them. Except Hulk I guess, briefly.

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 03:13 on Jul 13, 2018

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

So now Disney can make a new Fantastic Four movie since they bought out Fox's rights by buying Fox. Then they can write-in the Hulk into that movie, hopefully dedicating the last 30 minutes to an extended "put on the glasses" style fight between Thing and the Hulk.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kramdar posted:

So now Disney can make a new Fantastic Four movie since they bought out Fox's rights by buying Fox. Then they can write-in the Hulk into that movie, hopefully dedicating the last 30 minutes to an extended "put on the glasses" style fight between Thing and the Hulk.

Well, that's not finalized yet and there may be a lawsuit that holds it all up, but yeah.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Aphrodite posted:

Literally all of those guys are back now.

Basically it was the Superman Red and Superman Blue all over again. Or Azrael, Reign of the Supermen, Teen Tony, Artemis, Frog Thor...

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Kramdar posted:

I'm convinced you can't actually make a good adaptation of the Fantastic Four, it's a cursed property.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Kramdar posted:

hopefully dedicating the last 30 minutes to an extended "put on the glasses" style fight between Thing and the Hulk.

Only if they remake that scene move-for-move, including the crotch shots, but on a much larger scale. Hulk nearly hits The Thing with a bus but holds back at the last second because he doesn't really want to hurt him, smashing the building behind him instead.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Don Gato posted:

I'm convinced you can't actually make a good adaptation of the Fantastic Four, it's a cursed property.

They already have, they're just called The Incredibles.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Don Gato posted:

They just need to make it campier. The casting was bad on the original two, but they kinda had the idea. But the villains made it too ominous.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Don Gato posted:

The reason all the Fantastic Four movies have been bad for a while is because Fox literally didn’t care if they were good or not. Their ownership of the FF movie rights would have lapsed unless they regularly used them to make movies.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Jessica Alba/Chris Evans ones couldn't have been that bad as they made 3 of them didn't they?

You can't easily judge superhero movies from before the MCU era to current stuff. Except for a couple of Batman movies (out of 7) and 2 Supermans (out of 5) they all sucked. Spider-Man was the most consistently good series.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I still think a good Fantastic Four movie would introduce a brand new cast and have them cross over into the Trask FF4 universe where the 2017 cast are zombie monsters and the villains. It is right out of the comics and would be hilarious.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
vic mackey was a good Thing

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kramdar posted:

They just need to make it campier. The casting was bad on the original two, but they kinda had the idea. But the villains made it too ominous.

The unreleased Roger Corman FF film (which was thrown together on a $1 million budget just so they could retain the rights, the cast had no idea the movie wasn't going to be released and even did a PR tour to talk it up) was campy as all hell and is therefore the 2nd best FF movie after The Incredibles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcpmM-eTESI

Subtle movie moment: the soundtrack from the Corman FF film was lifted wholesale from Battle Beyond the Stars, another Roger Corman film. James Horner did such a great job that Corman just kept reusing the soundtrack for a bunch of his other films.

Horner went on to compose the soundtracks for Titanic, Aliens, Braveheart, Apollo 13, Avatar, The Rocketeer, The Land Before Time, etc etc etc etc
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000035/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr62

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Correction: Horner made one soundtrack that was repeated for every film he made since star trek 2. You can hear repeated musical cues all across his body of work and it's so blatant and annoying. It's sad because he does have some genuinely good music when he puts in the effort, like Mask of Zorro, but his "danger" and "sadness" musical stings suuuuuuuuuuck.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Every Fantastic Four movie, pales in comparison to the 90s Fantastic Four Cartoon... and that's just.. sad.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The unreleased Roger Corman FF film (which was thrown together on a $1 million budget just so they could retain the rights, the cast had no idea the movie wasn't going to be released and even did a PR tour to talk it up) was campy as all hell and is therefore the 2nd best FF movie after The Incredibles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcpmM-eTESI

I was wondering if this was the one referenced in the newer Arrested Development (it's not) but while I was looking it up I found this lol

quote:

director Josh Trank appears as a process server who delivers Tobias a cease-and-desist order in "A New Start." Trank directed the 2015 Fantastic Four reboot which was a critical and commercial failure, similar to Tobias's version.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

oh man i legit got a little nauseous looking at this picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
at a fundamental level the punisher is just emblematic of how white america is (and has always been) a fascist deathcult.