Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

shame on an IGA posted:

When's the last time two heads of state went hands-on with each other?

Akhito and QEII after a 'cultural exchange' of gin and sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Must be, I can't find any evidence that Bandaranaike and Kennedy ever met

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

EBB posted:

Minutes 4-6: nested points of order and appeals and points of order on those appeals and oh my god how do they get anything done

pee pee doo doo he is a bad chairman.

But for real, he's bad at whatever special sparkle rules of order the house runs under. Because Congress is too good for Robert's Rules or anything else normal. It's me, I'm the weirdo that enjoys parliamentary procedure.

My favorite part was:
:stat:: Answer the question.
:smug:: I can't, it's an ongoing investigation.
:stat:: I'll hold you in contempt.
:smug:: Can I consult with my employer's lawyer?
:stat:: No, you can only consult with your lawyer.
:smug:: Well, my lawyer, behind me, just turned and asked the FBI's lawyer, also behind me, and concurs with their recommendation.
:stat:: *fumes*

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/CharlesPPierce/status/1017503889925558272

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

AH WILL NOT STOP FUHCKIN' THIS CHICKEYUN AND AH WILL CON-TINUE TO FUHCK THIS CHICKEYUN

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Peter Strzok loving rules. Guy is invincible

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

From the OSHA thread. An excellent graphical summary of the Thai cave rescue operations.

Synthbuttrange posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-13/thai-cave-rescue-tham-luang-extreme-challenges/9985286

Oh god this article has cross sections of each part of the cave.

Goes from nice, to okay, to seems rough, to oh god yikes.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Brute Squad posted:

From the OSHA thread. An excellent graphical summary of the Thai cave rescue operations.

Elon Musk watched this and asked if they tried a catapult

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Deathy McDeath posted:

Peter Strzok loving rules. Guy is invincible

Dude is ice cold. The next democratic administration should appoint him to some high up DoJ position.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Most cringey thing was when Karen Handel did the whole "You work for human resources right? Ha, that's ironic. Get it because had consensual sex with a colleague out of wedlock. IRONY RIGHT!?!! " bit.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Brute Squad posted:

Yo read this. Very mobile-friendly and well done

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Brute Squad posted:

quote:

“Mum and dad I love you … if I can get out please take me to eat crispy pork,” writes 15-year-old ‘Nic’, or Phiphat Photi.

Kid's got his priorities straight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Source is a wapo article. I'm not going to c/p the whole thing because it's pointless. https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...46a7_story.html

Kush only got a TS clearance. He has zero SCI access. He had SCI access when he was on his interim clearance, but he lost it when the white house gave him a permanent TS. He's probably still getting the president's daily briefing, because nothing matters.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hate crime charges filed against man caught on video confronting woman over Puerto Rico shirt

Hope I get to watch him cry in court, too

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Good, what a loving dick.

Also worth mentioning from that article is that the cop who stood back and watched it ended up resigning.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Can somebody explain to me what's the point in abolishing ICE? As far as I understand, the functions would revert to the agency that was responsible for them before the creation of ICE. Likely with the same personnel, right? They can't just magic custom agents out of thin air. So what would change, except for the name? Am I missing something?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Torrannor posted:

Can somebody explain to me what's the point in abolishing ICE? As far as I understand, the functions would revert to the agency that was responsible for them before the creation of ICE. Likely with the same personnel, right? They can't just magic custom agents out of thin air. So what would change, except for the name? Am I missing something?

It's a red herring for the easily led. Everything comes from the top, from Trump and Sessions. As long as Sessions is AG, things won't effectively change unless the legislative branch legislates.

The question is, what is abolishing ICE trying to accomplish? I'm assuming mainly the end of forced separation of families and the attack on immigrants. Abolishing will have unintended consequences, take an excessive amount of time for the reorganization and may not even solve the problem. Is that really the best way to address the problems?

lightpole fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 13, 2018

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Torrannor posted:

It effectively cuts management positions and replaces people at the top, supposibly trickling down the chain as old guard ICE are picked off by the new boss. The chain of command getting shoved back into a different agency under different top oversight effectively guarantees that the top 20 possitions are decapitated. I guess that would be the mid goal effective outcome.

Edit: Abolishing ICE is how you get rid of the high level appointees picked by Sessions and Trump. is a good thing, yes.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 13, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

KirbyKhan posted:

It effectively cuts management positions and replaces people at the top, supposibly trickling down the chain as old guard ICE are picked off by the new boss. The chain of command getting shoved back into a different agency under different top oversight effectively guarantees that the top 20 possitions are decapitated. I guess that would be the mid goal effective outcome.

Edit: Abolishing ICE is how you get rid of the high level appointees picked by Sessions and Trump. is a good thing, yes.

But aren't the other management positions filled by Trump people as well? Or are those career civil servants that predate Trump?

Edit: Wait, I'm dumb. I think I understand it now. It's a goal for when a Democrat is back in the White House :doh:

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Engh. My understanding is the goal is to strip them of a lot of the duties that result in the majority of the gestapo like behavior. Basically redistribute the duties to pre-existing agencies and take away enough of their funding that they simply can't go after people who are aren't authorized to be here but haven't actually hurt anyone.

Vox explainer on the issue, and with the caveat that "Abolish Ice" is a general rallying cry (like "Medicare for all") whose specifics can vary depending on the individual a fair bit.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/3/19/17116980/ice-abolish-immigration-arrest-deport

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

KirbyKhan posted:

If you have the power to perform this reorganization, why not just curb the problem portions legislatively? This sounds like using a hammer for brain surgery and all relies on getting some sort of legislative buy-in.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

lightpole posted:

If you have the power to perform this reorganization, why not just curb the problem portions legislatively? This sounds like using a hammer for brain surgery and all relies on getting some sort of legislative buy-in.

Simple easy messaging, shifting the overton window on the issue, and short and effective rallying cry constituents can hammer their representatives with.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

lightpole posted:

I would use a hammer for brain surgery if the patient was a Trump appointee who put children in cages.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Crakkerjakk posted:

Simple easy messaging, shifting the overton window on the issue, and short and effective rallying cry constituents can hammer their representatives with.

Why not just focus on something that has broad, bipartisan, popular support like keeping families together instead of pushing a divisive issue that's easily attacked and sends it to the extremes of the spectrum instead of keeping it in the middle?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I also fear that the abolish ice message is just gonna get rid of the name but keep most of the people or that once that is done, people are gonna ignore the same poo poo happening under a different name.

But I think the idea here, besides keeping families together and stopping a bad practice, is to be divisive. No compromise since compromise leads to other bad poo poo.

And this isn't a battle that they can't win.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

God, imagine what a blasted wasteland the US was before ICE was established in *looks at wikipedia* 2003. Amazing that we survived the 200+ years before those brave boys took up the tiki torch.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BadOptics posted:

God, imagine what a blasted wasteland the US was before ICE was established in *looks at wikipedia* 2003. Amazing that we survived the 200+ years before those brave boys took up the tiki torch.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Akhito and QEII after a 'cultural exchange' of gin and sake.

Talk about the time the sun set on the British Empire.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

lightpole posted:

Why not just focus on something that has broad, bipartisan, popular support

You know, trump is at like 80-90% approval with republicans, and the news about kids being separated from their parents has been known for at least a month. gently caress those people, hard. Why compromise with people who support evil, lovely policies

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
How do you even compromise with people who think it’s ok to put children in cages? Bigger cages? Fewer children?

gently caress them. Roll ICE back into CBP / INS, make sure the name stands as a warning to the folly of America after a terrorist attack and start the post-911 healing process for real.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

As a palate cleanser, someone wrote a fan fiction of Barack and Joe solving crimes while cruising in a trans am with sawed offs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/12/books/obama-biden-bromance-continues-in-an-action-hero-thriller.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

quote:

Obama and Biden have run-ins with a biker gang, drug dealers and a corrupt cop. They try to shake Obama’s humorless secret service agent, wear ridiculous disguises and bicker like siblings. Biden puts on his aviator sunglasses, a Hawaiian shirt and a baseball cap with a gaping, embroidered fish that says “Kiss My Bass,” and gives Obama a Phillies cap, insisting that because Obama is known to be a White Sox fan, no one will recognize him.

Adding another book to my kindle next week

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I saw the ad for this book at the beach. I told my wife I'm getting it, and there is a meet and greet with the author, along with a Q&A a week after we return home.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Hot Karl Marx posted:

You know, trump is at like 80-90% approval with republicans, and the news about kids being separated from their parents has been known for at least a month. gently caress those people, hard. Why compromise with people who support evil, lovely policies

What portion of the voting electorate actually identifies as 'Republican' and not just a swing voter who didn't like Hillary? Because if it's close to half the Electorate, I guess you're hosed.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

FrozenVent posted:

gently caress them. Roll ICE back into CBP / INS, make sure the name stands as a warning to the folly of America after a terrorist attack and start the post-911 healing process for real.

We still haven't finished the post civil war process. Largely due to the same types of people. Could try converting it to a freedmans bureau type orginization. That would make a few heads spin.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

What portion of the voting electorate actually identifies as 'Republican' and not just a swing voter who didn't like Hillary? Because if it's close to half the Electorate, I guess you're hosed.

There are no "swing voters" and that's not why Trump won. Around 20% of the US population voted for Trump. Only half of the voting population even showed up for the election, iirc.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

55.7% of eligible votes were cast.

26.8% of eligible voters voted for Hillary.

25.6% of eligible voters voted for Trump.

44.3% didn’t vote.

According to NYT 5% of eligible voters swung from obama to trump

“Eligible voters” doesn’t include a few million disenfranchised voters who lean democrat but can’t vote.

So a quarter of the electorate is republicans. A quarter is democrat. And half are wild cards (and I always argue would mostly vote for social democrat policies if pursued)

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Well, if there’s one thing Trump can point to as a success, it’s that his administration has finally won one of our War(s) Against a Noun.

Declaring War on Poverty ‘Largely Over,’ White House Urges Work Requirements for Aid. All that’s left are some mopping up operations, which entails welfare recipients mopping the floors at Trump properties.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
The West End of London is now completely paralyzed by anti-Trump protestors.

He won't see any of it because he's at Chequers (camp David, basically)

Apparently journalists at his Q&A took the opportunity to point out factual inaccuracies he's made over the last two days, and not to ask pressing questions.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Well Trump took a lot of questions and lied a lot and HEY WAIT A MINUTE

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1017772211699109888?s=19

Last time this happened, it was a nothingburger on some unrelated stuff buuuuuuut you never know!

Edit: but the time before that was phrased this way and was the 13 Russians https://twitter.com/TheJusticeDept/status/964560710767468546?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

The West End of London is now completely paralyzed by anti-Trump protestors.

He won't see any of it because he's at Chequers (camp David, basically)

Apparently journalists at his Q&A took the opportunity to point out factual inaccuracies he's made over the last two days, and not to ask pressing questions.

I was just there, nipped to the pub because gently caress it it’s boiling.

Tons of Americans there, dunno what your embassy was worried about.

• Locked thread