Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well McTiernan famously turned it down because it was too much like Die Hard.

This was before they rewrote Keanu's character (famously, he was basically John McClaine one-liner snarky wisecracking guy and Keanu insteaded he be toned down into a polite and hard-working cop who only did a couple of one-liners) and re-engineered parts of the script, so who's to say?

I suppose that's fair enough. Under Siege is "Die Hard on an aircraft carrier", Cliffhanger is "Die Hard on a mountain", Air Force One is "Die Hard on the president's plane" etc. but I'm just not sure if it really is "Die Hard on a bus".

But what makes a movie a Die Hard riff - is it "hero trapped in one location with the bad guys" or is it "the right guy in the right place at the right time"? I guess I can see Speed either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I dunno if Speed is "Die Hard on a bus", but the new The Rock vehicle Skyscraper looks like "Speed but in a building" instead of "Die Hard but with The Rock"

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I'm a Die Hard fundamentalist; for it to be a Die Hard clone, the hero can't go into the building/ship/hockey game already knowing the villain is there. The villain has to show up when the hero's already there, minding their own business. So Dredd and The Raid are both out :colbert:

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 12, 2018

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I suppose that's fair enough. Under Siege is "Die Hard on an aircraft carrier", Cliffhanger is "Die Hard on a mountain", Air Force One is "Die Hard on the president's plane" etc. but I'm just not sure if it really is "Die Hard on a bus".

But what makes a movie a Die Hard riff - is it "hero trapped in one location with the bad guys" or is it "the right guy in the right place at the right time"? I guess I can see Speed either way.

Oh, yeah, Air Force One is a good one. Love Harrison's speech at the beginning.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Mission Impossible: Fallout review embargo has lifted

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mission_impossible_fallout

So far:

97% on RT with 33 reviews.
8.6 average
86 on Metacritic

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Die Hard on a toilet when

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

CelticPredator posted:

Die Hard on a toilet when

They already made Lethal Weapon 2.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fart City posted:

They already made Lethal Weapon 2.

Yeah, but they didn't follow through on it. You have to watch Jurassic Park or Game of Thrones for that.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Is this the right thread to say I'm enjoying Rampage? It's very silly

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

MacheteZombie posted:

Is this the right thread to say I'm enjoying Rampage? It's very silly

It's very silly. I generally enjoyed it, but it feels like there were a few crossed wires or missed opportunities.

The gag with Joe Manganiello getting wiped out so easily only really works if your lead isn't also a gigantic, muscular action hero badass.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

I dunno if Speed is "Die Hard on a bus", but the new The Rock vehicle Skyscraper looks like "Speed but in a building" instead of "Die Hard but with The Rock"

Just saw Skyscraper, not exactly a Die Hard clone as it doesn't follow the formula exactly. It's a harmless mildly amusing 90s action/disaster throwback. Has its moments and is entertaining as the standard Rock movie. About on par with Rampage but a bit less crazy without the sci fi aspects. Neve Campbell is still super attractive.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I actually thought The Raid was at its best before everyone lost their guns and went full martial arts. Sure, the fight scenes were good, but the main characters were having their heads repeatedly smashed into concrete with enough force to burst their skulls open like watermelons, only to shrug it off and keep fighting. I know, suspension of disbelief and all that, but it took me out of the movie considering how brutal and lethal the rest of the action was.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
John McClane would definitely have died like at least 6 times.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Re: The Raid, just remind yourself that the dudes weigh 140 pounds soaking wet and don't have any knockout power.

I mean, if you have to.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

It's very silly. I generally enjoyed it, but it feels like there were a few crossed wires or missed opportunities.

The gag with Joe Manganiello getting wiped out so easily only really works if your lead isn't also a gigantic, muscular action hero badass.

See that's what made his bit funny for me. I just kept comparing him and his troops to the rock.

My biggest issue with it was largely around the lazy composition to make room for the cgi beasts in some scenes. However, it was ridiculously more violent than I expected. I wonder if it was originally written for an r rating then was toned down to pg13.

After rampage I watched 2019: after the fall of New York which was also a good time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Re: The Raid, just remind yourself that the dudes weigh 140 pounds soaking wet and don't have any knockout power.

I mean, if you have to.

Reminds of Spider-Man 2 when internet discussion was all about Dr. Octopus getting repeatedly punched in the head by Spider-Man.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Wheat Loaf posted:

Die Hard turns 30 this weekend. Now, I'm sure we all like Die Hard, so I'll ask this instead: what are our favourite Die Hard-alikes?

Mine is Cliffhanger.

Yeah, this would probably be mine as well. Still holds up relatively well, probably due to a lot of practical effects.

I have a soft spot for Broken Arrow, which I guess fits mostly fits the bill. It's not a single location, but it's mostly confined to one area in a similar way to Cliffhanger... and it's definitely wrong guy in the wrong place becoming a monkey-wrench in an elaborate plan. I haven't seen it in a while, but I doubt this one holds up.

I seem to recall a couple of TV shows having decent Die Hardish episodes, but can't remember which. Maybe Person of Interest?

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 13, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gravy Jones posted:

I have a soft spot for Broken Arrow, which I guess fits mostly fits the bill. It's not a single location, but it's mostly confined to one area in a similar way to Cliffhanger... and it's definitely wrong guy in the wrong place becoming a monkey-wrench in an elaborate plan. I haven't seen it in a while, but I doubt this one holds up.

I liked Broken Arrow last time I saw it, which would've been sometime earlier this year. It's almost like a western, funnily enough, in that it's mostly out in the desert, it's got a train robbery and there's an abandoned mine. :v:

quote:

I seem to recall a couple of TV shows having decent Die Hardish episodes, but can't remember which. Maybe Person of Interest?

There was that episode of TNG where Picard is alone on the Enterprise and has to fight off a gang of hijackers single-handed. It was pretty fun in that "Patrick Stewart wants to be an action hero" phase.

The two-part Alias story which guest-starred Quentin Tarantino (!) as the bad guy could also count.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 13, 2018

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
There was also that really good Hollywood Bank Robbery episode of High Impact, that cop show from the late 90s.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked Broken Arrow last time I saw it, which would've been sometime earlier this year. It's almost like a western, funnily enough, in that it's mostly out in the desert, it's got a train robbery and there's an abandoned mine. :v:

For some reason I always liked the fact that the nuke actually goes of, something that was pretty :monocle: to me at the time. True Lies did it first (well not literally, but for an action film as part of the plot, not a flash-forward/flash-back or final scene perhaps?), Broken Arrow, The Peacekeeper, The Sum of All Fears. There's probably loads more now, but these ones all made a big impression on me. at the time. I think, and showing my age a little here, a big part of was some kind of post cold-war transition from nukes being the ultimate bogeyman that would end the world to eh, whatever, just a really big explosion that makes for a good set piece.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Lobok posted:

Reminds of Spider-Man 2 when internet discussion was all about Dr. Octopus getting repeatedly punched in the head by Spider-Man.

Well to be fair in the comic book it's always been the case that if Spider-Man gets in he knocks out Ock in one punch.

The trick is getting in on a guy who has 4 super-fast deadly 100% mobile independent servo arms.

Didn't really mind that they went a different direction with it tho in the movie. Would be frustrating to watch a 3 minute action scene of a really limber guy dodging mechano-punches and not being able to fight back.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Payndz posted:

I actually thought The Raid was at its best before everyone lost their guns and went full martial arts. Sure, the fight scenes were good, but the main characters were having their heads repeatedly smashed into concrete with enough force to burst their skulls open like watermelons, only to shrug it off and keep fighting. I know, suspension of disbelief and all that, but it took me out of the movie considering how brutal and lethal the rest of the action was.

counterpoint, all that poo poo loving ruled and people taking inhuman loving beatings and surviving is consistently one of the coolest things about martial arts movies

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

As with all things, John Woo recognized the intrinsic silliness of action movies and would have his protagonists eat 3 - 5 bullets (with usually half to the torso) and still keep going. Which owns.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Well to be fair in the comic book it's always been the case that if Spider-Man gets in he knocks out Ock in one punch.

The trick is getting in on a guy who has 4 super-fast deadly 100% mobile independent servo arms.

Didn't really mind that they went a different direction with it tho in the movie. Would be frustrating to watch a 3 minute action scene of a really limber guy dodging mechano-punches and not being able to fight back.

Yeah, and to your point about imagining that the Raid dudes don't have KO power if that's what someone needs for the fights to make sense, all one has to do with Spidey vs. Ock is just imagine him pulling his punches. Which he does in the comics anyway most of the time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Talking of Cliffhanger has made me think some of John Lithgow's other villainous turns and I remembered the Denzel Washington movie Ricochet from 1991, directed by Russell Mulcahy.

The premise is that Lithgow plays a hitman with a snivelling assistant, while Washington is a crusading attorney who, when he was a police officer, became famous for putting him away, then Lithgow gets out and starts playing mind games with him.

Lithgow has the single silliest (but funnest) scene in the movie, where he assets himself as the top dog in prison by fighting the leader of the neo-Nazi gang, for which purpose they both fashion suits of armour by taping books to themselves. It's the dorkiest-looking thing.

But the weirdest thing about the movie is that Denzel Washington is in it at all. I know he's not below schlock and he's actually very good in it, but this came two years after he won his first Oscar, his next movie was Malcolm X. I'm trying to think of a similar "They were in that?" where a "respectable" actor has this one really goofy movie in their filmography right in the phase of their career where they're getting loads of comparatively heavy duty roles.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ricochet is a very odd movie, one of the plot points is that the main bad guy drugs Denzel's character and has a hooker gently caress him without protection so that he gets gonorrhea

It motors along like that: standard issue thriller and then suddenly some wacky idea out of nowhere. Book armor. Denzel shooting a guy in his underwear. Weird supporting characters. I like it.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 13, 2018

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Lithgow has the single silliest (but funnest) scene in the movie, where he assets himself as the top dog in prison by fighting the leader of the neo-Nazi gang, for which purpose they both fashion suits of armour by taping books to themselves. It's the dorkiest-looking thing.

Also, said Nazi is played by Jesse Ventura.

That scene is utterly out-of-place, and blatantly only exists because Mulcahy had a little trouble letting go of Highlander. And yeah, it's far and away the best scene in the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AObzrCwAga8

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 13, 2018

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Wheat Loaf posted:

But the weirdest thing about the movie is that Denzel Washington is in it at all. I know he's not below schlock and he's actually very good in it, but this came two years after he won his first Oscar, his next movie was Malcolm X. I'm trying to think of a similar "They were in that?" where a "respectable" actor has this one really goofy movie in their filmography right in the phase of their career where they're getting loads of comparatively heavy duty roles.

Could be argued that Denzel did it again a few years later with Virtuosity.

Most of the examples I could think of involved voice acting or kids films, which I don't think count as they're kind of a special case.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Oh my god I could talk for hours about the insanity of Virtuosity. Between that and Fallen, Denzel has a pretty decent “super powered serial killer” double feature.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Virtuosity is one of my favorite movies of all time. It’s drat ridiculous and I adore it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

loving same. THIS ONE’S FOR YOU PARKER!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Taintrunner posted:

Virtuosity is one of my favorite movies of all time. It’s drat ridiculous and I adore it.
Ah yeah, the "symphony of screams".

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Payndz posted:

Ah yeah, the "symphony of screams".

You know, it's not bad. Some cool special effects, too. Is it streaming anywhere? I'd be down to watch it again.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Over the weekend I rewatched Mission: Impossible and loved it. Don't know why I bounced off of it so hard a few years ago, this time was a blast.

Then I watched Mission: Impossible 2. I hated the romance angle being so forced in the first act. The aesthetics were early-00's garish and some moments--the flaminco dancing, for instance--are an ugly mess. It has fun moments, for sure, but it fell very flat for me. I also didn't like Cruise's characterization this time. He's a douchebag.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Over the weekend I rewatched Mission: Impossible and loved it. Don't know why I bounced off of it so hard a few years ago, this time was a blast.

Then I watched Mission: Impossible 2. I hated the romance angle being so forced in the first act. The aesthetics were early-00's garish and some moments--the flaminco dancing, for instance--are an ugly mess. It has fun moments, for sure, but it fell very flat for me. I also didn't like Cruise's characterization this time. He's a douchebag.

Nice! Happy to hear that. Were the effects at the end as dated as people were describing a few days ago?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Franchescanado posted:

I also didn't like Cruise's characterization this time. He's a douchebag.

It’s such a weird vibe that permeates the entire production. Like what the gently caress we were thinking, letting Limp Bizkit be involved on a Mission Impossible soundtrack?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Nice! Happy to hear that. Were the effects at the end as dated as people were describing a few days ago?

The effects in the end mostly hold up. The helicopter blades cutting close to Ethan and alowing down was kinda bad, the helicopter exploding and throwing Ethan looked bad, but those were the only big issues. Even then, they aren't nearly as bad as M:I2's fabric transitions during the dance numbers, or the credits, or the plane sequences, or any explosion, or

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 16, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Actually Mission Impossible 2 is very cool. It's simultaneously the movie that turns it into its modern incarnation of Super Agent Ethan Against World-Ripping Baddie and also the one that distances itself from the espionage stuff and basically just uses the masks like Woo used 'em in Face/Off.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I mean, if you have to.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/dc8f4dfbc72dd368d0622b5ba2825419/tenor.gif?itemid=8933764

pictured: a 145 pound man with no knockout power.

I know you were probably being facetious, but i just love this gif.

As with all things, John Woo recognized the intrinsic silliness of action movies and would have his protagonists eat 3 - 5 bullets (with usually half to the torso) and still keep going. Which owns.

There's a great gag in 'Hard Boiled' where 'Mad Dog' turns on his boss and shoots him in the chest at point blank range, but only once so it does no damage and is never mentioned again.

Fart City posted:

It’s such a weird vibe that permeates the entire production. Like what the gently caress we were thinking, letting Limp Bizkit be involved on a Mission Impossible soundtrack?

The guitar riff works pretty well. Then Fred Durst starts and its terrible. It's a microcosm of limp bizkit.

Also, I might be wrong, but I think it's Tom Cruise's first proper action movie where he punches people and fires guns and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Yeah, as lovely as Bizkit is, their non-vocal part of the main theme is pretty good. And I'm an unashamed Woo lover, so I love most of M:I2. I think the action set pieces are stellar, despite some of the logical faults.

The shootout in the lab just looks so drat cool, and the shot in the bunker of Ethan walking through the flames with doves flying and the music kicking in is so rad. Plus he blows up a car with a pistol.