Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Any tips for stuff like hell wyrm and omega?

Keep in mind I don't have access to everything on everyone because its zodiac age not the original.

I tried the reverse/decoy trick on fenrir and turned off aoe heals (and heals in general for that character) but I still got bodied by something and my tank kept dying and it was really annoying.

I don't remember the specifics anymore I just used the reverse thing for Omega.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mega64 posted:

2: PSP (or GBA). Newer versions remove a lot of tedium and dumber mechanics of the original without compromising anything.

3: NES if possible, since the remake has questionable design choices that make an already problematic game even more tedious. Failing that, go Steam for autosave.

4: PSP (or GBA) is the definitive 2D experience. The 3D remake is significantly more challenging and changes quite a bit, but if that version appeals more to you then honestly any version of that should be fine.

Always play the NES version of 3 because autosave via the Steam version is still inferior to Save States and the Steam version is still the terrible 3D remake.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I like the remake of 3. But I only played it after I played the original.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Alright, gonna begin playthrough of 2 soon on GBA version. Heard the leveling system in it was kind of weird and annoying. Anything to know that would help make it smoother to play through it without ending up grinding a bunch or anything like that?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Give everyone a shield. Pretend its an elder scrolls game and spam skills to make them better. Instakill magic is good if you level it up, and berserk is fantastic.

Edit:

I wrote this a long time ago and its all relevant to PSP/iOS version, unsure about GBA:

quote:

you'll probably want to give everyone shields, and probably dont want to wear armor at first, as it lowers your evasion. (shields boost your evasion while equipped, and have no weight.)

if you fight with high evasion, your base stat agility is more likely to go up, and with enough agility you can have decent evasion even while armored. so early on, its better to wear no armor than crappy armor.

you can unlearn any magic spell you want, but if you relearn it it starts at level 1 again. each character can have up to 16 spells at a given time. there are 40 total different spells in the game. wow!

also, armor (but not weapons or shields in remakes) impede casting depending on their weight.

your 4th party member switches around a bit so dont worry too much about levelling them, but also dont give them any indispensible equipment since they take their stuff with them (though some come back).

lastly, and this is the part that i think is dumb but the game is still good anyways, the HP, MP, Stamina (hp growth amount) and Magic (MP growth amount) are more likely to grow not necessarily when you lose HP/MP, but when you end battle with less than you started with. the game is balanced where you dont have to game the system though (but you can if you want to). you'll also get regular 'free' HP bonuses.

you can stack most buffs

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 12, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zerilan posted:

Alright, gonna begin playthrough of 2 soon on GBA version. Heard the leveling system in it was kind of weird and annoying. Anything to know that would help make it smoother to play through it without ending up grinding a bunch or anything like that?

The GBA version, like that version of 1, is really forgiving and pretty easy. It's pretty easy to just use whatever weapons or spells or any combination of the two that you like. Everyone should be casting something pretty regularly.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Wear light armor, heavy armor is inferior in almost every way.

Otherwise, always wear shields. The GBA version removes the spellcasting penalties from weapons and shields so feel free to use the strongest stuff, armor still has them but this list has which ones affect what. Since it'd be a pain to memorize all that, stick to light armor and probably stick with the default helmet/gloves except for your least-spellcasty person, who'd at least appreciate the Thief Gloves.

Evasion is king in FF2, and that depends on Agility, and the best way to get Agility is having Agility. Shields help. If you have a character struggling to get through some of the later dungeons, like Guy, consider shoving them in the back row and making them a pure spellcaster since back row characters cannot be hit by any physical attacks at all, unless everyone in the front row is dead.

You probably won't need that advice, as GBA on make the game significantly easier, but it definitely doesn't hurt. FF2's one of those games that seems daunting but, once you know what you're doing, you can break the thing over your knee with ease.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i beat ff2 dawn of souls with a misbuilt firion casting cure XVI every turn and maria chucking mid-level Holy from the back row. they use this as a legal enhanced interrogation technique.

ff2-gba is easy enough to brute force, but if you don't make an effort to get a fair understanding of it, playing it at all is loving miserable.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Does anyone know if beating things in Trial mode in Zodiac Age will unlock trophies if I haven't killed them before? I know it unlocks bestiary entries.

I ask because I decided to jump into trial mode last night on a whim and I got to 80 before stopping for the night and think I might have a chance to beat it outright with my party as is (I haven't really done any strategy yet and have only had trouble on a couple fights) and not having to do some of the optional fights in the normal game would be cool.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

IcePhoenix posted:

Does anyone know if beating things in Trial mode in Zodiac Age will unlock trophies if I haven't killed them before? I know it unlocks bestiary entries.

I ask because I decided to jump into trial mode last night on a whim and I got to 80 before stopping for the night and think I might have a chance to beat it outright with my party as is (I haven't really done any strategy yet and have only had trouble on a couple fights) and not having to do some of the optional fights in the normal game would be cool.

It does

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Awesome. 81-100 look like a big step up but hopefully my party can manage it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is rikku solely included in your party for stealing? By the time you get her back she's insanely far behind on the grid, she doesn't get more AP than everyone else to make up for it, I don't know what to do with her. She's weak as hell so it's annoying to throw her in the party for gains because she can't do anything.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Kingtheninja posted:

Is rikku solely included in your party for stealing? By the time you get her back she's insanely far behind on the grid, she doesn't get more AP than everyone else to make up for it, I don't know what to do with her. She's weak as hell so it's annoying to throw her in the party for gains because she can't do anything.
She exists to mix.

Comedy answer she is so you can steal from machina which is an instant kill or something silly.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

she's the strongest character because of Mix

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Rikku can use her special Use command until she catches up with special powerful potions and grenades you can steal from machine enemies that JUST HAPPEN to start showing up en masse around then.

That said her part of the grid is iffy. Her utility powers are great and Agility is a stat everyone wants, but she gets like nothing else so she’s a pretty good recipient of a Friend Sphere to go spend some time in Lulu or Auron’s grids then come back with a Return Sphere after getting some actual stats.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kingtheninja posted:

You don't need Rikku to have good stats to do 9999 damage to everything everywhere.

She's the exact opposite of weak as hell, she's how you break FFX's campaign.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Leveling is not remotely hard for her to catch up, since she just needs to participate. Also she joins at like maybe the 40% part of the game. Plenty of battles that she'll even out.

At worst, she's the speediest character which means you start every battle with initiative via Tidus/Yuna/Rikku.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Riku’s sphere grid is frontloaded with stats that catch her up to everyone else pretty quick so just hang in there.

One wonders why she couldn’t just start the game “caught up” but I’m not a game dev

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Because she's also the first character to join the party after Zanarkand, so they probably didn't want her to have Moonflow stats right at the start.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ainsley McTree posted:

Riku’s sphere grid is frontloaded with stats that catch her up to everyone else pretty quick so just hang in there.

One wonders why she couldn’t just start the game “caught up” but I’m not a game dev

Because those front loaded stat bonuses are her starting caught up cause a few fights gets her enough to grab them

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Because those front loaded stat bonuses are her starting caught up cause a few fights gets her enough to grab them

Yeah but she could just start with those stat....no forget it

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Rikku was my primary healer in game because Al Bhed potions were AoE healing and a good variety of status cleansing. She also gets a store bought weapon with Alchemy with makes it even better.

Kimahri ended up being my backup healer because he went and grabbed Use/Steal as well.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rikku being weak and mainly just good for stealing and throwing items is cool and good because you can always just swap her out whenever.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I will say I do love the character swapping in the game. It really makes you want to use everyone and not just stick to the same three people.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

I will say I do love the character swapping in the game. It really makes you want to use everyone and not just stick to the same three people.

Completely agreed. It also gives the sense of the party actually traveling and adventuring together instead of everyone, I dunno, hanging out at an inn or something while the protagonist and two best friends handle it on their own. I also appreciate that the game actually gives you incentives to use everyone (except kimahri) in battle too.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Breath of Fire 4 would have the non active party members occasionally do things in battle which was cool.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah but she could just start with those stat....no forget it

Well for one sphere grid allows you to control how you grow your characters, or if you grow them at all. Getting characters at base stats gives the player more control.

And lets not forget the original EU version and all versions after it have 2 sphere grids, the other one being significantly more open so it makes sense everybody has only base stats.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
well then they should start her with the same sphere exp as tidus

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Got to trial level 97 tonight! A few deaths on the way but I think I have enough items left to pull it off. The Judges are definitely going to suck hard though since I don't have Zodiark and strategies seem to suggest using him to do a bunch of damage.

I do have Nihopola though so I can at least get all the statuses up that I need to.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

IcePhoenix posted:

I do have Nihopola

nihopalaoa :colbert:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lei_niho_palaoa

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

You knew what I meant so good enough :v:

What's the strategy for the judges? Disease them all, move to the other side of the arena and just hope you can outlast them? Are there any really good summons to use outside zodiark?

I assume that once I can get a couple of them down it will fall into place, like the earlier fight with all the pharos bosses at once.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I recently finished FF2. I read about the evasion and no armor tips but at some point everyone just started dying no matter what so since that point I always put the best armor on everyone and didn't look back. My biggest annoyances though were beneficial spells that could miss on your allies, crazy crap shoot live or die dice rolls because of some of the enemy groups, the lovely mazelike dungeon designs that were much worse than in the first game and last but not least, the game constantly taking away your 4th member, sometimes even mid-dungeon.

But I liked the music a lot.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

I recently finished FF2. I read about the evasion and no armor tips but at some point everyone just started dying no matter what so since that point I always put the best armor on everyone and didn't look back. My biggest annoyances though were beneficial spells that could miss on your allies, crazy crap shoot live or die dice rolls because of some of the enemy groups, the lovely mazelike dungeon designs that were much worse than in the first game and last but not least, the game constantly taking away your 4th member, sometimes even mid-dungeon.

Even in the days of much more sophisticated technology to make much more varied music, FF2's normal battle theme is still probably my favorite normal battle theme in the series Love the Ancient Castle dungeon music as well..

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

You knew what I meant so good enough :v:

What's the strategy for the judges? Disease them all, move to the other side of the arena and just hope you can outlast them? Are there any really good summons to use outside zodiark?

I assume that once I can get a couple of them down it will fall into place, like the earlier fight with all the pharos bosses at once.

Use Bubble Mote on your Zeromus, then equip Nihopalao and use Elixir. Now use Big Bang.

If you are high enough lvl you will oneshot at least half the judges.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

WaltherFeng posted:

Use Bubble Mote on your Zeromus, then equip Nihopalao and use Elixir. Now use Big Bang.

If you are high enough lvl you will oneshot at least half the judges.

Well alright then. My party is in the 60s so hopefully that's high enough, but I suppose as long as I get another party member with lure I can just tank long enough between summons to elixir out multiple summons.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

IcePhoenix posted:

Are there any really good summons to use outside zodiark?

Well, Zeromus' Big Bang is straight up the best attack in the game, so.... yeah. :v:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

lordfrikk posted:

I read this as FF 12 :negative:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

IcePhoenix posted:

Well alright then. My party is in the 60s so hopefully that's high enough, but I suppose as long as I get another party member with lure I can just tank long enough between summons to elixir out multiple summons.
Don't even need Lure if you're careful with the party member positioning, it took me five Zodiark loops but I got the job done eventually without having to care about Bubble and using only two people and a lot of Phoenix Downs/Elixirs.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Is Zeromus the one whose abilities are literally just "Knot of Rust" and "Dark Matter" or is that another one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The judges are probably my favorite superbosses because rather than being HP sponges they just heal up like you would.