Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

On-the-fly tension adjustment!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If I was driving that I fear I would have an irresistible desire to turn them on

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Staying in Newark for work for the next week or so. Walking back to my hotel this week, a guy crashes this bike into an Acura at an intersection, rolls a bit, and jumps into a nearby van. He then gets shoved out of said van, and runs off with his arms covered in blood. An hour later, the bike is still laying there on the sidewalk.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Speaking of New Jersey!

These are the cops you share a highway with

quote:

Prosecutor's report paints portrait of Palisades Interstate Parkway Police as rogue unit

The Palisades Interstate Parkway Police chased people needlessly or without permission, misused police tactics and gave awards, like a $200 meal allowance, to officers who wrote the most tickets or made the most arrests, according to a report released Thursday by the Bergen County Prosecutor's Office.

The damning report paints the picture of a reckless police force that was bound by few rules as it worked its narrow territory along Bergen County's eastern edge.

Chief Michael Coppola, the department leader, will take the brunt of the blame. He will be suspended for three months, starting Monday.

The county’s eight-month review, which began in November, found parkway police routinely broke Attorney General guidelines dictating when and how officers should conduct a high-speed chase. It also found the department often ignored state rules on how to properly investigate officers against whom allegations of misconduct had been filed.

“The BCPO review of PIPPD vehicle pursuits revealed numerous and flagrant violations of the Attorney General’s Pursuit Guidelines,” the report read. “There were no (internal affairs) investigations of any of these violations and no discipline of officers for any of the violations.”

Based in Alpine, the department patrols an 11-mile stretch of the Palisades Interstate Parkway in New Jersey. The highway runs from the George Washington Bridge in Fort Lee to the Bear Mountain Bridge in New York State, but the officers' jurisdiction ends at the state line. The officers also guard the Palisades Interstate Park, a shard of cliffs and forests that runs along the Hudson for 12 miles between the New York State line and Fort Lee.

The review was spurred in part by the May 2017 death of Marlon Quiros, a 33-year-old East Harlem man who crashed his 2010 Yamaha motorcycle while trying to elude parkway police. The report said the pursuing officer hit speeds of more than 130 miles per hour as he chased Quiros and his alleged riding partner, Sheldon Lee.

As the Prosecutor’s Office investigated the deadly wreck, it found parkway police repeatedly violated a strict state guideline barring officers from engaging in high-speed pursuits unless the suspect committed certain criminal offenses, or posed an immediate danger to police or the public.

Parkway police broke that policy in 36 of the department’s 41 high-speed chases since January 2014, the report said. In 23 instances, officers reached or exceeded 100 miles per hour. And officers exceeded 120 miles per hour 13 times, the report said.

The report also said parkway police often misused police tactics by:

Wrongly using a roadblock three times;
Wrongly hitting a fleeing suspect’s car twice;
Inappropriately using police cruisers to box in a suspect’s car twice;
Pursued suspects into oncoming traffic four times;
Wrongly pursued suspects on a parallel road 10 times;

And used more than two police cars to pursue a suspect seven times without a supervisor’s approval.
On one occasion, 11 police cars were involved in a single pursuit, which reached speeds of more than 120 mph.

The report also detailed one instance of an officer hurtling through red lights at more than 100 miles per hour in pursuit of a fleeing suspect, who then lost control of their car and struck two parked vehicles. The speed limit on the road was 25 miles per hour, the report said.

That was one of eight times parkway police broke a policy declaring they should slow down and move cautiously through intersections, the report said.

The report also found parkway police routinely used the Internet to lure small-time drug dealers onto Palisades Interstate Park property to arrest them. One such operation led to the death of Denian Melo, a 21-year-old Bronx man who fell to his death as he fled police in July 2017.

Melo had ran into the woods during a nighttime drug stop in Fort Lee Historic Park. But he tumbled down the Palisades cliffs in the darkness, and a parkway police officer found his body at dawn the next day near Henry Hudson Drive.

The Prosecutor’s Office has since ordered an end to the drug operations.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 13, 2018

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

No license plate = Free Bike!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So the terrible punishment is that one guy gets a 3 month suspension.... Ok. Maybe those rules need a few more teeth on the enforcement side.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

:lol:

https://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf...department.html

NJ.com posted:

The prosecutor's office determined that actions of the officers did not warrant criminal action and that the department should conduct its own review for "possible administrative action."

...then later in the same article we have:

NJ.com posted:

The report also stated that police never conducted a formal review following any of the pursuits, another violation of the pursuit policy.
-
In one case, during one of the department's operations, a man died when he fell off a cliff while he was running from officers following a motor vehicle stop that was part of a drug investigation. The incident was not reported to the Bergen County Prosecutor's Office as required, the report states.
-
"There were no (internal affairs) investigations of any of these violations and no discipline of officers for any of the violations," the report states.

Sure, this sounds like a department that should be allowed to continue investigating itself. They have such a good track record of doing so when left to their own devices :ughh:

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

The Locator posted:

So the terrible punishment is that one guy gets a 3 month suspension.... Ok. Maybe those rules need a few more teeth on the enforcement side.

I'm going to assume the suspension is with pay.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

MrLogan posted:

I'm going to assume the suspension is with pay.

His wrists are going to be very pink when they get done slapping them.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TBH I'm really just glad their jurisdiction is limited to that highway and not any actual towns. Not to mention there's about a million different ways to get from the GWB to the NJ/NY state line without touching that retarded highway.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Today on I-635:

In the left lane, a pretty new Nissan sedan (Maxima I think?) at a dead stop, with someone sitting in it waving a red rag out the window. Traffic was doing ~70-80 (speed limit is 70). In my mirror I watched him almost get creamed by several people paying a lot less attention.

I don't know if the guy had a death wish or what. I get that cars break down, but that car was (theoretically) too new to have any issues that would prevent you from coasting onto the shoulder. I let the local PD know so they could hopefully get some lights out there (... after listening to "All 911 operators are currently busy, the next available operator will be with you shortly" for several minutes... WTF Garland?!).

PT6A posted:

Isn't 0.4 basically an "you are likely to die" level of intoxication? How do you even operate a car at that point?

As Kozmo pointed out, not with a tolerance. I've had a blood test reveal 0.48% when I was... not in good shape. (not in legal trouble at least) And I was still able to walk out to the ambulance.

MisterOblivious posted:

There's also Naltrexone which makes alcohol less pleasurable. People can enjoy a drink for flavor or company but it keeps the alcohol from tickling that part of the brain that says "This feels good! Drinking more would feel even better!"

I've been on Naltrexone before. It certainly does reduce cravings and very much makes alcohol less desirable (you feel mostly the bad effects, few of the good effects), but it also makes you feel like poo poo for a couple of weeks until you adapt to it. There's a 30 day injection you can get too, but it makes you feel REALLY lovely for a couple of days, and it's $$$$$$$$.

Also, you have to stop taking it a week or two before you take any real pain killers. Which could be a real issue if you, say, break your foot. If you take any opiate-based painkillers on it, it sends you into horrific withdrawal pretty much instantly.

nm posted:

Please don't mix alcohol, weed, and driving. Alcohol and THC mix terribly for driving. You can have someone with a 0.05 and a low delta-9 THC level, and have them driving like they are 0.20.

Good god, this. A couple of beers and a bowl and I'm gone. I can barely navigate Netflix with that combo, and wouldn't even try to walk in public.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Parked at a national park; I feel the van get bumped, look out to see a Kia has backed into me. As I get out the car pulls away so I snap a photo of it/plate, but the dude pulls into a space 30 feet away. He wasn't running, he was completely unaware he hit anyone. So I'm watching this shuffling 900 year old dude get out of his micro-car and strap on a camera and such, and he's taking forever so I'm also looking over the van. His 1500 pound plastic car at 1 mph didn't even hurt anything except maybe a scratch that I can't say wasn't there before, so I decide it's not worth trying to communicate with this dude over. But Jesus Christ. Not a new sentiment in this thread but we need to start retesting old fucks, or have an ERPO type system for drivers licenses, or something.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Javid posted:

Parked at a national park; I feel the van get bumped, look out to see a Kia has backed into me. As I get out the car pulls away so I snap a photo of it/plate, but the dude pulls into a space 30 feet away. He wasn't running, he was completely unaware he hit anyone. So I'm watching this shuffling 900 year old dude get out of his micro-car and strap on a camera and such, and he's taking forever so I'm also looking over the van. His 1500 pound plastic car at 1 mph didn't even hurt anything except maybe a scratch that I can't say wasn't there before, so I decide it's not worth trying to communicate with this dude over. But Jesus Christ. Not a new sentiment in this thread but we need to start retesting old fucks, or have an ERPO type system for drivers licenses, or something.

In all honesty, the best solution would be to test everyone every 8 years - driving and written - but make the driving part a closed course deal where you have to demonstrate basic control and awareness. Too many places literally do a 5 minute "drive around the block" and you're done, it needs to be more thorough and go through parking, navigating obstacles, stuff like that. Deal with failures on a 3 strike basis where the final strike is a suspended license for 1 year and vouchers or discounts for using public transit (Lyft, Uber, taxi, buses, etc), plus during that year having to schedule and take a professional drivers ed course to prove you're actively trying to be a better driver.

RollsRoyce
Feb 11, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I'm sure we'll fund that initiative riiight after we replace all our failing infrastructure

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Some poor bastard laid down his bike on lake shore drive right in front of me

It was lightly raining and I was going 10 over the speed limit in the left lane through the bend by Division with the solid white lines. He was revving up to get in front of me me, and as soon as he passed into my field of view, I knew he was going down. His rear wheel slipped out from underneath him and his bike dropped him onto the road at +50mph. I don't think that this was his first rodeo, because he pulled his arms in and it seemed like rolled further than he slid. As soon as he came to a stop, he grabbed the guard rail while still laying on the pavement, and somehow flipped himself onto the median from the ground. I immediately threw on my hazards, pulled over to the median, and made sure the dude was ok

Surprisingly, he was pretty much fine, besides clutching his arm a bit. He was up and walking within ~20 seconds of hitting the ground, but his pretty little Ducati was ruined. I helped roll his bike out of traffic, and stayed until the city came and told me to leave because they were taking care of it. There was a Streets and Sanitation truck a few cars behind me and the driver saw the guy go down, so it wasn't more than a couple minutes from start to finish

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Hope he was wearing some good gear. If he's on a Ducati I'm sure he could spare the change.

I'm a new rider on a starter bike, got maybe 1,500 miles under my belt and haven't sprung for an actual riding jacket yet. I went down at 5 or 10mph after grabbing my brakes too hard, skidding the front tire. My fault for falling, should have practiced panic stops until its muscle memory. Fell to my left, rolled once, ended up with my ankles crossed and my bike laying on top of them. I was pinned down until a dude came and helped me out.

My takeaway; not gonna get back on the bike until I get a proper riding jacket. Full-face helmet wouldn't hurt too, the 1/2 shell I picked up when I got my bike isn't cutting it. My bones and joints are OK, but my forearm and knee have some scabbage and it's super painful. I can't imagine how it would feel if it were half of my arm and leg.

You can ride as safe and alert as you want, but someday there's gonna be a pretty princess teenager yanking a left into the starbucks directly in front of you and "I'm so sorry!" isn't going to make you heal up any quicker.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

NoWake posted:

Hope he was wearing some good gear. If he's on a Ducati I'm sure he could spare the change.

I'm a new rider on a starter bike, got maybe 1,500 miles under my belt and haven't sprung for an actual riding jacket yet. I went down at 5 or 10mph after grabbing my brakes too hard, skidding the front tire. My fault for falling, should have practiced panic stops until its muscle memory. Fell to my left, rolled once, ended up with my ankles crossed and my bike laying on top of them. I was pinned down until a dude came and helped me out.

My takeaway; not gonna get back on the bike until I get a proper riding jacket. Full-face helmet wouldn't hurt too, the 1/2 shell I picked up when I got my bike isn't cutting it. My bones and joints are OK, but my forearm and knee have some scabbage and it's super painful. I can't imagine how it would feel if it were half of my arm and leg.

You can ride as safe and alert as you want, but someday there's gonna be a pretty princess teenager yanking a left into the starbucks directly in front of you and "I'm so sorry!" isn't going to make you heal up any quicker.

Or you could take a turn, that I'm sure this guy had made a dozen times before, in less than ideal conditions and wipe the gently caress out. If it's dry and mostly empty, I like to take that same turn at ~50mph in my car for fun, so he could definitely have made it if it weren't a little wet. He had a full helmet, thick jacket, gloves, boots, and thick denim jeans on even though it was pretty hot outside and ridiculously humid

Really, the lack of awareness of motorcycles is all that keeps me from buying one. When I was in San Francisco, everyone seemed aware of scooters/bikes and gave them the stopping distance they needed, but in Chicago you'll see drivers following a bike with less than a car length between them

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

There's a drat good reason why Wisconsin drivers hate Chicago ones.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chicago drivers will also gleefully jam a full size sedan into a four foot gap in front of a semi in stop and go traffic.

They're entitled assholes without any desire to preserve life if it gets them one foot further down the road.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

BOOTY-ADE posted:

In all honesty, the best solution would be to test everyone every 8 years - driving and written - but make the driving part a closed course deal where you have to demonstrate basic control and awareness. Too many places literally do a 5 minute "drive around the block" and you're done, it needs to be more thorough and go through parking, navigating obstacles, stuff like that. Deal with failures on a 3 strike basis where the final strike is a suspended license for 1 year and vouchers or discounts for using public transit (Lyft, Uber, taxi, buses, etc), plus during that year having to schedule and take a professional drivers ed course to prove you're actively trying to be a better driver.

we absolutely should be periodic mandatory testing since a 9/11's worth of Americans die each month in almost entirely preventable accidents but woe betide anyone's political career that suggests it isn't a God Given Right for Americans to drive like stupid assholes

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Proud Christian Mom posted:

we absolutely should be periodic mandatory testing since a 9/11's worth of Americans die each month in almost entirely preventable accidents but woe betide anyone's political career that suggests it isn't a God Given Right for Americans to drive like stupid assholes

Old people vote. They want to keep their cars, even if they can't drive in a straight line

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

xzzy posted:

Chicago drivers will also gleefully jam a full size sedan into a four foot gap in front of a semi in stop and go traffic.

They're entitled assholes without any desire to preserve life if it gets them one foot further down the road.

Chicago drivers are aggressive but generally skilled enough to pull it off.

St Louis drivers are just as aggressive but are all drunk or on meth.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

Old people vote. They want to keep their cars, even if they can't drive in a straight line

At least with the Trump administration & their planned cuts to old people programs, this won’t be an issue much longer

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

As always, careful for which you wish for.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

As always, careful for which you wish for.

A world where people can keep up pace instead of dealing with olds that do 20 under the limit? Where old people don't confuse pedals & barrel into people or buildings? Where grandma & her cataract-ridden eyes, barely functioning joints, lack of reflexes & non-existent hearing aren't allowed to (or aren't around to) drive a 1,500+ pound machine around other people?

Sign me the gently caress up NOW

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 16, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

BOOTY-ADE posted:

A world where people can keep up pace instead of dealing with olds that do 20 under the limit? Where old people don't confuse pedals & barrel into people or buildings? Where grandma & her cataract-ridden eyes, barely functioning joints, lack of reflexes & non-existent hearing aren't allowed to (or aren't around to) drive a 1,500 machine around other people?

Oh, I agree with you on those points.

But then you fail the test because you didn't come to an "exact" stop at the stop sign.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

Oh, I agree with you on those points.

But then you fail the test because you didn't come to an "exact" stop at the stop sign.

Truly a paltry price

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

BOOTY-ADE posted:

A world where people can keep up pace instead of dealing with olds that do 20 under the limit? Where old people don't confuse pedals & barrel into people or buildings? Where grandma & her cataract-ridden eyes, barely functioning joints, lack of reflexes & non-existent hearing aren't allowed to (or aren't around to) drive a 1,500kg machine around other people?

BOOTY-ADE posted:

A world where people can keep up pace instead of dealing with people texting that do 20 under the limit? Where people texting don't confuse pedals & barrel into people or buildings? Where people texting and can't pay attention to the road, have at least one hand dedicated to the phone, and are blasting music so loud that they can't hear, aren't allowed to (or aren't around to) drive a 1,500kg machine around other people?

BOOTY-ADE posted:

A world where people can keep up pace instead of dealing with drunk people that can't stay in their lanes? Where drunk people don't confuse pedals & barrel into people or buildings? Where drunks and their blurry vision, diminished coordination, lack of reflexes & non-existent hearing aren't allowed to (or aren't around to) drive a 1,500kg machine around other people?

BOOTY-ADE posted:

A world where people can keep up pace instead of dealing with hooners that do 40 over the limit? Where assholes don't floor it & barrel into people or buildings? Etcetera etcetera etcetera

I get that removing ancient people from the driver's seat is one of the most simple ways to make roads safer and just requires licensing requirements that make logical sense, but removing them is a bandaid

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Remove licenses from olds, the solution to the other three groups you list should be preceded by "final".

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

I get that removing ancient people from the driver's seat is one of the most simple ways to make roads safer and just requires licensing requirements that make logical sense, but removing them is a bandaid

I agree on your other points too, and in many of those cases, that's law enforcement's job. To, y'know, enforce the laws & make sure people aren't being reckless assholes. Too bad that many police forces are woefully understaffed or choose to only target specific people or go out during specific days/times to try to catch people, or sit around setting up speed traps versus actually patrolling. That and technology is a loving nuisance anyways, I'd be all for signal jammers in cars to prevent cell use, or just giving those dumb assholes the worst rickety unsafe rusty shitbox to drive so it basically disintegrates when they inevitably cause an accident.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

citations for a lack of lane discipline would make my day

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

citations for a lack of lane discipline would make my day

More like clubbings for lack of lane discipline.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If we're kicking olds off the roads for having a negative stereotype, we gotta boot mustang owners for being unable to leave a parking lot without skidding into a ditch or every single owner of an Italian exotic due to fire hazard.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

xzzy posted:

If we're kicking olds off the roads for having a negative stereotype, we gotta boot mustang owners for being unable to leave a parking lot without skidding into a ditch or every single owner of an Italian exotic due to fire hazard.

Yeah, let's also tack on vehicles with trailers with inadequate lighting...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Abolish all driving laws and go full mad max on the roads.

Keep the gas tax, though.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Increase it by 10000% for real Mad Maxness

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah, can't wait to shoot a harpoon through some 50 year old fucker driving a Crown Vic in my chaps while sporting a mohawk.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
This is an extremely hot take, but I could reasonably extrapolate that the automatic transmission lowered the cognitive threshold for driving and thus made driving as a whole far more dangerous.

I fully understand that there are capable people who have missing/damaged/deformed limbs and can drive just fine thanks to the automatic transmission. But for the fully functional majority, there are no excuses for some of the levels of idiocy out there.

My favorite one that I've seen in the hood lately is making a right on red from places that aren't, in fact, the right lane.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think a bigger part of the problem than automatic transmissions is that we don't really draw very much of a distinction between having a rudimentary understanding of the law and a basic ability to control a motor vehicle, and actually being able to drive. Driver's ed doesn't cover much beyond the very basics of driving, and I think that's why you see so much dumb poo poo all the time. Being able to drive well is about being able to make good decisions, being able to navigate, being able to predict upcoming hazards, being able to predict what other drivers might do in the near future, etc. and that's all poo poo that people are expected to figure out on their own. Predictably, very few of them actually do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ProjektorBoy posted:

This is an extremely hot take, but I could reasonably extrapolate that the automatic ignition advance lowered the cognitive threshold for driving and thus made driving as a whole far more dangerous.

:wotwot: