Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Junpei posted:

Therion is a snark master, he's the underappreciated gem of the MCs.

Alfyn has good snark too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Fuggin pervert!

oh god not like that :gonk:

not like that :cry:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think Seiken Denetsu 3's characters had little to no overlap of their stories too? Though a lot of their stories went to the same places just with different boss fights IIRC.
You had varying banter, based on who was in your party.

If a character had a beef with a villain the party was fighting, they might show up even if they weren't in it.

SD3 had six characters from six nations; three of which were aggressive nations manipulated by the baddies, and three which would be the victims of a corresponding aggressive nation. Most of the dungeons you'd go to were still the same, since the crystals factored into everyone's goals, but you'd have a special dungeon and end boss focused on the aggressive nation most related to the first character picked.

There was also the vicious battle royal where one of the aggressive nations would vanquish the other two while the heroes were doing their quest.

God, I love that game.

The Octopath demo charmed me pretty hard. While I initially was hoping it would fill the SD3-sized hole in my heart, it will probably fill its own place.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Octopath started when I launched it just now in Shanghai so I can play it on my 10 hour flight back to Finland after all

:toot:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I am absolutely hyped for this loving game

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I coulda sworn I saw it in this thread, but maybe I'm crazy. Wasn't there a chart showing the stat bonuses you get from each subclass? Apothecary gets extra HP, Thief gets extra Crit, all in one handy graph. I don't know where the hell I saw it if not here.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
1) please stop quoting Junpei, he is the only good on my ignore list and the less I see of his autism posting the better.

2) I am excited to play the Videogame Octopath Traveler on gods chosen console the Nintendo Switch. Fight me if you disagree.

edit: also

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

It's 00:02 and I can't play Octopath Traveller yet

:negative:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

False alarm, it's 00:06 and I can play Octopath Traveller

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Octo could also mean octopus so maybe this game is actually the prequel story to Splatoon?

:thunk:

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
The thing that bothers me about the structure is not necessarily that it's eight independent stories - I wouldn't mind a collection of smaller tales, especially for something like Switch where I tend to play in chunks rather than marathon sessions. From the reviews, however, it just seems like they didn't execute the game in a manner benefitting the format. The lack of non-party characters gaining experience, the level gating so you're pushed to rotate through the stories, and what seems like fairly similar structure for each chapter and each character's story just don't befit the eight independent story structure.

The combat and overall atmosphere is fantastic, so I'm going to picking this up, but I know that a couple things are gonna be nagging me as "coulda-beens" while playing through the game.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Zyla posted:

oh god not like that :gonk:

not like that :cry:

look its wholesome

whats the shaker website

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NicelyNice posted:

The thing that bothers me about the structure is not necessarily that it's eight independent stories - I wouldn't mind a collection of smaller tales, especially for something like Switch where I tend to play in chunks rather than marathon sessions. From the reviews, however, it just seems like they didn't execute the game in a manner benefitting the format. The lack of non-party characters gaining experience, the level gating so you're pushed to rotate through the stories, and what seems like fairly similar structure for each chapter and each character's story just don't befit the eight independent story structure.

The combat and overall atmosphere is fantastic, so I'm going to picking this up, but I know that a couple things are gonna be nagging me as "coulda-beens" while playing through the game.

Yeah, but no art is ever perfect. And as much as we shouldn't over-hype the game before release, we also shouldn't obsess over something else that could have been as long as this is at least pretty dang cool and good, and that seems extremely likely.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Weak, they took down the demo download. I was going to play it for the next few hours to build a fresh new save with a character I was happy sticking with.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Ok the stories don't overlap but do the characters talk to each other and acknowledge each others existence and have conversations?

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Storywise, Octopath Traveler sounds kind of like the weird experimental poo poo Square did in the playstation era and I'm here for it.

I heard there was an Octopath discord, where is that? EDIT: Never mind, finally found it here. http://discord.gg/GKVPaKf

Happy Octopath Eve!

deftest
May 7, 2011
You get nothing but end of the world stories in most fiction, and people roll their eyes at it. They give us a secret noble who's lived her life as a prostitute on a quest to get revenge against her abuser, and everyone says "where's the end of the world story?"

no pleasing some people.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I'm gonna play this game

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Any want to make a emote sized tressa shake gif?

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

deftest posted:

You get nothing but end of the world stories in most fiction, and people roll their eyes at it. They give us a secret noble who's lived her life as a prostitute on a quest to get revenge against her abuser, and everyone says "where's the end of the world story?"

no pleasing some people.

I don't care if there's an end of the world story or not, I just want party members to acknowledge each others' existence. It seems kinda weird to me if you're playing through a storyline and you're traveling with seven other characters but they don't respond to or interact with what's happening in that story.

Still gonna be playing it tonight to see for myself though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm now going to decide whom I want to pick first, because that's the character who'll be in my party permanently.

This is a difficult decision.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

triple sulk posted:

I'm gonna play this game

:yeah:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Captain Toad unlocks tonight

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Anyone know what time the game is gonna be be available digitally? Is it a midnight release?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ventana posted:

Anyone know what time the game is gonna be be available digitally? Is it a midnight release?

Seems to be. Multiple people have been playing it at midnight in their timezones.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Ventana posted:

If you’re in the US it will be available exactly 2 and 1/2 hours from this post.

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008
Just started playing (as Therion, about an hour in) and I already love the combat system. It's just so snappy and quick.

Dialogue is great too and I will steal everything from everyone.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

i cant believe no one's used the "USE THE BOOST TO GET THROUGH" joke yet :colbert:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'd play the game but I have a really loving busy day tomorrow and I rather sleep instead! :negative:

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Worked 12 hours today. Working 12 hours tomorrow. Actually, I'm working 12 hours every day until Wednesday. But the joke's on them because I start night shift instead of day shift on Saturday, so I can stay up all night tomorrow playing the game to adjust my sleep schedule.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Can someone confirm that you can remove the starting character from the party?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mordiceius posted:

Can someone confirm that you can remove the starting character from the party?

From what I understand, you can once you've finished their story

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

jivjov posted:

From what I understand, you can once you've finished their story

Their whole story or just the active chapter?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mordiceius posted:

Their whole story or just the active chapter?

Whole story

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Huh, Ophelia’s first boss hosed me up after no resistance until that point (3rd character to grab). Guess I’ll get the ranger girl first and then go loop back for her? Or will the boss continue scaling with my party and I should just kill him now?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Good Citizen posted:

Huh, Ophelia’s first boss hosed me up after no resistance until that point (3rd character to grab). Guess I’ll get the ranger girl first and then go loop back for her? Or will the boss continue scaling with my party and I should just kill him now?

Everything I've read in this thread and elsewhere seems to indicate that the bosses scale with how many people are in your party.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
i know nothing about this game but read a random polygon article that said it was good so i bought it. thanks gaming journalism.

thats my story

shame about the thread though

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Good Citizen posted:

He's much easier to beat if you use her Guide action to grab the soldier in front of the cave that has Prayer (A strong 300 point heal!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Up in the US!