Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Darchangel posted:

I mentioned my incredulity regarding the braking thing in the chat thread a while back, after hearing an ad for one of the nanny boxes mentioning braking "too hard". That seems like a very poorly thought-out requirement.

FWIW, I had a snapshot box through Progressive for six months on a 2003 V6 F-150 maybe three years ago. Here is their brief description of the program. It worked pretty much like they say it will. Pay up six months with a small discount and drive with the bitch box connected. After that you get a further rebate (or penalty) and the discount carries on, I guess until something happens. I got like $230-something back, for almost $300 in discounts that six months.

They don't explain exactly how the thing works, so the following is partly speculation:

The box would only beep if you really pushed the vehicle; braking hard enough to aaallllmost set off the ABS, long periods of high speed (I'll get to this in a second), or abrupt acceleration. I rarely encountered the last example in that truck. A quick jump on the brakes didn't trigger it, nor did low speed/high effort manuevers (pulling around a trailer, for example). It really wasn't that obtrusive, more like gentle prodding.

You get a report at the end of your time using the box. It gives you the total number of alerts for braking and accel, and time spent over 75mph for more than four seconds with average speed over 75, including the average times you were doing so (got all that?). They got me on that last one, "The gently caress?! I don't drive that fast going home." Yes, yes you do bud.

Take from that what you will.

e: lovely snipe

I hate that one dude who rode my right-rear corner with his brights on for forty miles of stormy interstate at 3am. Not another car on the road, just keeping pace no matter what I did. Those nice big box truck mirrors sure do point your headlights DIRECTLY INTO MY EYES AND I CANT SEE poo poo NOW!

dickhead

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ok, honest to god question on the nanny box, what position were you in when you accepted it?

Edit: Should say, financial, hard to insure, etc.

Just trying to wrap my head around this device.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

Ok, honest to god question on the nanny box, what position were you in when you accepted it?

I drive in Tampa Bay, pretty much. poo poo's expensive and I'll take a discount. Male, early thirties, no accidents, mid-700's credit score, owned the truck. It's not like I went into it totally blind. You have to totally gently caress up to get an extra charge on your bill. I got an average discount for people who enrolled in the program. Look at it this way: If I did about average while obviously flubbing the mileage estimate and maybe going too fast sometimes, either almost half of enrollees were gibbering idiots, almost half of enrollees were being over-charged for insurance, or maybe both.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

I had one of the progressive boxes and it was super annoying. It beeps after "hard braking" which for me turned out to be basically all braking in traffic or, for example, braking to turn off of a 55mph road.

I wonder, since I drive an oldish ('06) Focus without ABS, if the ODB2 port doesn't expose data that's granular enough for the nannybox to work properly. The Torque app's live dashboard works fine, though.

Anyway I got barely any discount out of it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

madeintaipei posted:

I drive in Tampa Bay, pretty much. poo poo's expensive and I'll take a discount. Male, early thirties, no accidents, mid-700's credit score, owned the truck. It's not like I went into it totally blind. You have to totally gently caress up to get an extra charge on your bill. I got an average discount for people who enrolled in the program. Look at it this way: If I did about average while obviously flubbing the mileage estimate and maybe going too fast sometimes, either almost half of enrollees were gibbering idiots, almost half of enrollees were being over-charged for insurance, or maybe both.

Thank you for answering.

Can you give a percentage for your discount?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

Thank you for answering.

Can you give a percentage for your discount?

It brought me down to $670/six months, if that's what you're asking.

I don't mean any offense, but do you sell insurance?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i havent driven a manual wrangler in a while, is the shift pattern that stupid?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Break something and go 3 ->1 for a bonus swastika.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

sneakyfrog posted:

not technically but chrysler is incapable of making a not sloppy shifter

also, are jeeps these days 6 speeds?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

madeintaipei posted:

It brought me down to $670/six months, if that's what you're asking.

I don't mean any offense, but do you sell insurance?

Ha ha, god no I don't. Hell I couldn't sleep at night with that one.

I just like hearing and learning from folks on their experiences. Thank you for being candid in you response. Ever try State Farm?

edit: Hell, as soon as I posted this it sounds like some insurance agent crap.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

FWIW I switched to State Farm a few years ago and haven't needed to shop around since, rates have been completely stable. We pay $350ish/6 months each on two vehicles with full coverage, and like $125 or something for liability on my beater truck.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Non-urban dwelling auto owner spotted

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Extremely non-urban

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

cephalopods posted:

I had one of the progressive boxes and it was super annoying. It beeps after "hard braking" which for me turned out to be basically all braking in traffic or, for example, braking to turn off of a 55mph road.

I wonder, since I drive an oldish ('06) Focus without ABS, if the ODB2 port doesn't expose data that's granular enough for the nannybox to work properly. The Torque app's live dashboard works fine, though.

Anyway I got barely any discount out of it.

OBD2 is standardized so any of the monitoring devices will work with an OBD2 car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looks like that Jeep is equipped with baby boomer parking assist too.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

dissss posted:

Also the nav display always produces light even when displaying just black - fortunately it can be turned off but if it was a better quality screen it wouldn't be an issue.

That's,.... how LCD's work? You've got to go to OLED in order to get a display that turns off black fields, and those are still like 2x the cost of a comparable LCD.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

MikeyTsi posted:

That's,.... how LCD's work? You've got to go to OLED in order to get a display that turns off black fields, and those are still like 2x the cost of a comparable LCD.

Sure an LCD is never going to be ideal but there are definitely degrees of bad as far as black level goes on LCDs.

Go and hold an iPad showing a black screen next to the equivalent in a car and see the difference.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
When the gently caress did negotiation become 'whats the lowest youll take'

loving tidepod motherfuckers

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

sneakyfrog posted:

It's Loss.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

:master:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BlackMK4 posted:

I would get that a lot even when they hadn't seen the items. Asking price is the lowest I'll take, fucko.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's photoshopped, unfortunately.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BlackMK4 posted:

Since the stone age.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

dissss posted:

Sure an LCD is never going to be ideal but there are definitely degrees of bad as far as black level goes on LCDs.

Go and hold an iPad showing a black screen next to the equivalent in a car and see the difference.

They're not going to have multiple zone local dimming. A back light is critical for any non OLED LCD to work. A regular LCD has no ability to produce light on its own so there will always be some glow due to the backlight.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

BlackMK4 posted:

Ever since "no lowballers, I know what I have"

iospace posted:

It's photoshopped, unfortunately.

A man can dream

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Wrar posted:

They're not going to have multiple zone local dimming. A back light is critical for any non OLED LCD to work. A regular LCD has no ability to produce light on its own so there will always be some glow due to the backlight.

Nor (at least I'm pretty sure) does my iPad and it manages to give a much better black level than the screen in my car. I'm not looking for perfection just better than what you get now in non luxury models.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Maybe it's a regional thing, I tend to price things at $wishful and come down to $morethanhappy when they ask for my best price.

They feel they won by getting me to bargain against myself and I'm still above what I'd accept from someone who knows how to bargain so win-win.

I do have to admit, it's an easy way to fish to start bringing the price down.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

dissss posted:

Nor (at least I'm pretty sure) does my iPad and it manages to give a much better black level than the screen in my car. I'm not looking for perfection just better than what you get now in non luxury models.

Finding devices that have the display quality of an iPad is difficult period

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Finding devices that have the display quality of an iPad is difficult period

I'd consider my cheap as anything Nexus 7 pretty close though so something at least as good as that should be doable.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
To be fair to anyone who asks it that bluntly, I'm loving awful at negotiations over money.

I can feel my skeleton trying crawl out of my own skin when I have to haggle over money, because I'm internalizing how much I don't NEED the $$ and over project that they really need that sale.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If someone asks what's the lowest you'll take ask £5 over the advertised price.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I got a message from someone offering me 50% of my asking price on the Mini I’m selling because “the car is 15 years old”. They haven’t even come to look at it. Just a straight up gently caress you offer.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

cakesmith handyman posted:

If someone asks what's the lowest you'll take ask £5 over the advertised price.

I did this once selling a motorcycle and the guy kept emailing me afterward since I probably insulted his meth-head honor or something. I soon learned to just delete those emails or just tell them it sold already.

Sometimes people are just bored and want to see how far they can haggle down something. gently caress those people.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I just saw an EG hatch with a stinger on the front. What the actual gently caress? Is Poison Spyder doing Civic parts now?

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

personally I do not give a single poo poo about how fast or slow someone is going on the highway, as long as they GO A CONSISTENT SPEED YOUR CRUISE CONTROL EXISTS FOR A REASON ARGHGHG

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

I've done it with several different companies and I've saved over 20% before

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

CA is 5k still. The idea is that by making limits lower you’ll make the insurance cheaper, resulting in fewer uninsured drivers. Never quite works out like that.

If you can show financial hardship you can get a 3K policy. :v:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

LongDarkNight posted:

If you can show financial hardship you can get a 3K policy. :v:

What's even the loving point

Insurance minimums need to be like 100k at least to be worth a drat... crap like this is why UIM is so important these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Legal minimum where I'm at, Manitoba with our mandatory public auto insurance :canada:, is $200,000 for liability, $50,000 for comprehensive/collision/all perils with a max of a $500 deductible, and PIPP for all residents regardless if they have an auto policy or not. Typical costs from what I've seen is $1200-$1600 per year for most vehicles (ranging from old beaters to new economy cars) but that's with a lower deductible and higher liability coverage than the minimums.

Personally I carry $7 million liability since it's cheap and I make regular trips to the US and all your stuff is insane down there.

Being a government run insurance, your insurance, license, and registration are all tied together, so if you have a bad driving record you just don't get a discount on your insurance and your license costs an obscene amount to renew, the most you'll pay for your license right before you lose it can be $3020