Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Restart steam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

So can I complain to Amazon that I don't have the game yet?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Ok, so I tried out Cyrus, Tressa, and Ophelia. I enjoyed Cyrus's Sherlock Holmes schtick, but not enough to put up with running a solo black mage. Tressa didn't really catch my attention. But Ophelia? Her opening story and area are awesome, I think she'll do quite nicely as a main. Also nuking stuff with holy light is metal as hell.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Extremely good.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

It's on the way! We usually get Amazon Logistics orders between 9 and 10 am. Of course, from 10 until 7 tomorrow I am in a teleconferenced training class that I cannot really skip. I'd bring the Switch up, but the text was so small in the demo I couldn't play in handheld mode. I guess I know how I'm spending the breaks tomorrow, though...

From the demos, this is a game that's going on The Shelf, so I really wanted a physical copy.

I'm thinking of going in straight OCTOPATH order and round-robining the storylines. We'll see.

I've got nothing going on this weekend, so...

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Started with H'anit seems like a good main character she has pretty strong attacks and her gimmick lets her have access to different damage types to break enemies. Having people react to you siccing your monsters on them is pretty funny too.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's good but I gotta sleep.

Olberic Primrose and Tressa. Team POT.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Team Pot is where my demo ended. I look forward to meeting the other five!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

In a last minute twist, Amazon emailed me again so I’m getting tomorrow. Nothing stopping me to drive to toys r us to get my nephew Pokémon cards for his birthday though

Fetko
Oct 21, 2004

Harlock posted:

It's good but I gotta sleep.

Olberic Primrose and Tressa. Team POT.

I'll probably be team TOC when I'm done tonight. Next step team TOCP. Just rolls off the tongue!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I expect a full review from one of you crazies by this time tomorrow

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpMZhpNRwWY

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Alfyn to Therion to H’aanit so far. That recent boss was freaking great and made me use everything I had.

I hope the game gets even more brutal as I go.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Mega64 posted:

Alfyn to Therion to H’aanit so far. That recent boss was freaking great and made me use everything I had.

I hope the game gets even more brutal as I go.

Did you go back to the mansion and inquire the dogs with Alfyn? :3:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Reality Loser posted:

Any want to make a emote sized tressa shake gif?

the emote limits are really small unless you can get a mod(admin?) to upload a bigger version unfortunately. So I can make something like this but we can't actually upload it:

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
Can someone explain how Alfyn ‘s concoct skill works ? Seems useless but I guess I’m doing bad combinations or something?

DuckKnight
Mar 5, 2017
So this game has level scaling? Does anyone know if you can play 4 storylines from start to finish, then switch parties to the other 4 characters or will you be screwed with scaling? Was thinking of doing all Nobles and then all Rogues.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

minya posted:

Can someone explain how Alfyn ‘s concoct skill works ? Seems useless but I guess I’m doing bad combinations or something?

He's got immediate access to every element that hits multiple times. The stronger the ingredients the stronger the effects. Etc.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

Terper posted:

He's got immediate access to every element that hits multiple times. The stronger the ingredients the stronger the effects. Etc.

Right. It just seems so weak early on. Maybe his power builds gradually or something.

I had two demo save games: Cyrus Tressa Olberic Primrose, and Haanit Therion Alfyn. I initially started the full game with the former but didn’t enjoy the combat much. I restarted with the latter party and I enjoy it so much more. Haanit is just such a beast (pun not intended seriously)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It doesn't matter how weak his elemental concoctions are, they still remove the enemy's shields.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Terper posted:

It doesn't matter how weak his elemental concoctions are, they still remove the enemy's shields.

This. Two elemental hits is pretty significant for certain foes, and the debuffs are a nice bonus too. I use the basic fire one somewhat regularly since the ingredients for that one are readily available in his hometown's shop.

Plus his healing mixes have been crazy good for me so far. Just got Ophilia as my fourth (taking the ATHOCTOP) and I can still use the basic items to full-heal my entire party with ease, plus the handy SP recovery.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Did you go back to the mansion and inquire the dogs with Alfyn? :3:

Somehow I missed them. Guess what I know I'm doing next time I play!

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Alfyn seems cool but his role is kinda meaningless if you're running the Tressa/Therion dream team since they just nab money and items from everyone, including Soulstones for elemental damage.

I can't stand Concoct because its one of those things where I'll constantly avoid using rare ingredients in case a big fight is coming up and then just never use them.

Plus if I don't use Alfyn, I can sell his ingredients

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm playing Octopath Traveler, it's actually happening!

Currently going through Tressa's intro again and it's still good. I think I must've gotten all my complaints out of my system because even the graphics are starting to grow on me, and the music is so wonderful. Game good, so what?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I'm taking an eyestrain break while my Switch charges back up, I played from 100% to 10%. God, I'm so pleased with how they hide little things all over the game world so it feels rewarding to explore.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I'm still waiting for the postman to deliver my copy :argh:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Postman delivered Octopath: check.
Weekend preparations: check.
Octopath day one update: installing.
To-do pile for today: too big, let's burn it down.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
who needs spells or weapons when you have money

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Whelp my copy didn't arrive today :suicide:

Edit: 5 minutes after posting this it did :haw:

Frankston fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jul 13, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Frankston posted:

Whelp my copy didn't arrive today :suicide:

Edit: 5 minutes after posting this it did :haw:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Always looking for a bargain!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMuYfScGpbE

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I'm always looking for a bargain. Maybe I should have looked somewhere besides Amazon. :(

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Capitalism Intensifies

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Playing this for 9 hours straight on a plane did indeed make the trip go quite fast

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Bout to go grab my copy, I'm always looking for a bargain!

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
And until I avenge you...I will dance.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Good Citizen posted:

Huh, Ophelia’s first boss hosed me up after no resistance until that point (3rd character to grab).
I think her boss is effectively designed to require you to guide/summon someone into the fight. He has wind weakness and one of the NPCs in the tavern has pretty potent wind abilities. But there's other ways to do it too.

In general the game seems designed around liberal use of path actions. Or at least it's more rewarding that way.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
So now that the game is out: do they have a good thing going?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
For those binging it how deep and complex does the combat get later on? I know it's by the Bravely Default dudes but the demo was basically just "find weakness > break shields > unload a 4x attack of onto that weakness". Later on can you start pulling off some of the crazy combos you could in BD1/2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Junpei posted:

Therion is a snark master, he's the underappreciated gem of the MCs.

Therion is the best.

First person I recruited after I finished his intro was Alfyn. And in Alyfn's town there's a bunch of real good gear you can steal. Especially the Steel Axe. That thing is a beast. Only had an 8% chance to steal it but you get 5 failed thefts before your reputation takes a hit and you've got to reload and just try again pay the barkeep 2,000 to fix your rep. Toss in the vest, helmet, and accessories that others in the town carry and my lvl 1 Alfyn had something like 80 more def/ele def and 60 more atk than my lvl 7 Therion. :v:

Therion's first boss fight can take awhile though. I haven't gotten olberic yet (dunno if I want to go for h'aanit or primrose after alfyn) but in the first demo it felt like I tore through that boss, while Therion's took awhile and 3-4 healing items, even with me dropping 8 turn atk debuffs on the boss occasionally.