Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I never finished texturing the Bravely style Tressa model and I feel bad, since now I'll be too busy playing Octopath to finish it :negative: Here's how far I got, anyway

maybe the gif in the second post could be replaced at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Meallan posted:

So now that the game is out: do they have a good thing going?

I liked the first 10-15 hours a lot at least

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Your Computer posted:

I never finished texturing the Bravely style Tressa model and I feel bad, since now I'll be too busy playing Octopath to finish it :negative: Here's how far I got, anyway

I mean just make it shake and you're done

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
Who's doin team TOPCAT?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Maybe the reason they never mentioned any big save the world plot is because there isn't one :iiam:

this actually owns and I'm glad for it

Caros
May 14, 2008

I did not need to know that Shane McMahon had at some point grown up into an adult human being. So thanks for that.

Game is good so far, and despite being multiple separate paths, there is clearly overlap in the various plots. I'd be shocked if there isn't an endgame dungeon that ties up some of stuff I'm seeing early.

I do kind of wish they had come up with a better excuse for Cyrus to go adventuring though, because the existing reason feels more than a little tone deaf.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I've been watching/listening to Cohh play this morning and I have determined three things:

1: I am definitely getting this game
2: I am definitely starting with Therion
3: Wa hahaha

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/munnyndonuts/status/1017725420160970753

Not surprised that the reviewer who was pretty thorough in their take knew about this but it's also good to know that this exists

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I've got a five hour road trip today so I'm downloading this :toot:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Squallege posted:

I've got a five hour road trip today so I'm downloading this :toot:

Watch the road!!! :)

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
How frequent are the chests Therion can open? I want to start as Alfyn as my favourite character right now, but I'm worried about constantly wanting to have Therion in the party anyways for chests to avoid backtracking.

Would it pay off to choose Therion just to make it easier? And can you eventually change your starting character out of the party?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Your Computer posted:

I still like it but she lost her casual smug

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
So the way to break the game early on seems to be start as Therion and just save scum your way to great gear with no rep loss?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
It is time at last for Octodad Traveler! Good job UPS guy.

... gently caress who do I play Why Are Choices Hard?!?!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Supremezero posted:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I think Tressa's gonna get shelved actually. :( It strikes me that if the party is essentially invisible, I'm going to get basically all the fun Tressa stuff just by doing her story, so might as well make Therion my lead.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I just want you to know that your constant posting of this has actually made me decide not to play as her unless absolutely necessary.

You did this and it is now on your conscience.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Phenotype posted:

I think Tressa's gonna get shelved actually. :( It strikes me that if the party is essentially invisible, I'm going to get basically all the fun Tressa stuff just by doing her story, so might as well make Therion my lead.

this is not okay

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
So do you have to go around in a circle, or is it possible to use this handy dandy ocean (... sea?) and go straight from, say Tressa, to H'annit?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Tressa's path action, so far, has been incredibly useful in getting good equipment at cheap prices. Hopefully this scales well.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Supremezero posted:

it actually really doesnt matter, you'll get all characters eventually and play through their origins etc

Phenotype posted:

i already shelved her, her abilities arent that useful, still collecting characters atm though. whatshisface the healer isn't that great either, gonna go get ophelia and see if shes any better. I feel like if her summon ability is similar to primrose then those two together will be a pretty big dps boost from having essentially 2 extra turns of damage.

does anyone know if you can steal support skills from other classes? I want everyone to have the healer guys mana stealing passive

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 13, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harlock posted:

Tressa's path action, so far, has been incredibly useful in getting good equipment at cheap prices. Hopefully this scales well.

I also recommend using her money steal ability on bosses, you get a ton of cash that way

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Harlock posted:

So has therion's, for the cheap price of free :devil:

So like I got all the party members but all the chapter 2 areas are like 5 levels higher than my highest guy. Am I supposed to grind up levels or will it be okay if I just go there?

vvv Savescumming is gross! I use the age-old tactic of Being Weirdly Lucky.

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 13, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

someone awful. posted:

So has therion's, for the cheap price of free :devil:

Stop savescumming and it's less free :colbert:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
What does losing reputation actually effect? Higher prices in shops?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

it is kinda weird that there is no party banter or interaction it seems.

i give the story huge plus points for being a JRPG without any completely incomprehensible weird poo poo though, everything has been a little cliche but at least its not like final fantasy where you need a glossary to figure out what an l'cie or fal'cie is

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
I don’t have the patience to save scum. I’m just gonna start with Ophelia and OCTOPATH.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
oh my god Cyrus is awesome. He's a less dickish Miles Edgeworth.

I don't care if it's redundant I'm totally rolling with Alfyn and Cyrus in my party. I don't really see myself using the Villager Follower path action that much anyway.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

What does losing reputation actually effect? Higher prices in shops?

As far as I can tell it just means you can't use path actions on anyone in town until your clear it? The price to clear it has seemed to go up every time I've done so also, though it might be a level thing, I haven't gotten bad rep too many times or been paying attention really.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

So far I'm trying to use everyone equally since the game doesn't seem that difficult and it's more fun that way

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Supremezero posted:

So do you have to go around in a circle, or is it possible to use this handy dandy ocean (... sea?) and go straight from, say Tressa, to H'annit?

curious about this as well

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Andrast posted:

I also recommend using her money steal ability on bosses, you get a ton of cash that way
Do you get more than when you defeat the boss?

It makes sense to steal items during a boss fight from a boss so it can't use that item, or so that you can use that item during the fight. But I figure if you didn't steal it, you just get it after defeat.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

voltcatfish posted:

I still like it but she lost her casual smug
I made her the same way as the Bravely characters so I can switch eyes and mouths like they do in that game

does that make it better? :ohdear:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

curious about this as well

You have to go clockwise or counterclockwise, but you can skip over any towns you're not interested in. You can also fast travel to any town you've already been to.

Also, having hit Chapter 2, I can confirm that there are inter-party skits, with the first one I've run into being Cyrus commenting on Tressa's chapter 2 shenanigans. Personalized lines too, not generic chatter.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It makes sense to steal items during a boss fight from a boss so it can't use that item, or so that you can use that item during the fight. But I figure if you didn't steal it, you just get it after defeat.

Tressa's Collect gold is separate from winning the fight gold, yeah.

Arianya fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 13, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ExcessBLarg! posted:

As far as I can tell, it's just extra money that you wouldn't otherwise get.

Like, why would the skill even exist if you get that money anyway?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

So am I to understand from Cyrus' intro that Olberic's city-state was destroyed 8 years ago and no one has any information on what their religion was. That's some extremely poor record keeping for a city known for its scholars.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Your Computer posted:

Holy poo poo, amazing work

Would also fit ff9's art style okay

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I hit the fourth boss on my route this morning and I appreciate that they're actually kind of challenging already.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mega64 posted:

oh my god Cyrus is awesome. He's a less dickish Miles Edgeworth.

I don't care if it's redundant I'm totally rolling with Alfyn and Cyrus in my party. I don't really see myself using the Villager Follower path action that much anyway.

That's what I've been saying. Cyrus rules.

I'm also considering Cyrus, Alfyn, Therion for maximum snarkiness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I assume later chapters are longer than the initial ones since each character only has 4?

I was actually concerned 4 chapters per character might not be enough to flesh them out but I don't actually know how long they are.