Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Sex scenes in literature are just like sex scenes in movies that get shown in theaters: awkward at best and only enjoyed by weirdos.

[picture of cucumber with condom on it found on floor of movie theater after 50 Shades showing.jpg]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sham bam bamina! posted:

If I recall correctly, John Ringo wrote some pretty decent sex scenes in Ghost.

You do not recall correctly. At all. In fact, you recall with the Platonic, quintessential definition of recalling incorrectly.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ryonguy posted:

Sex scenes in literature are just like sex scenes in movies that get shown in theaters: awkward at best and only enjoyed by weirdos.

[picture of cucumber with condom on it found on floor of movie theater after 50 Shades showing.jpg]

Never forget that the last 50 Shades movie has the scene where Anastasia finally gets coerced into anal (somehow a running gag from the very beginning) immediately followed up with her drawing a gun from clothes with no noticeable bulge indicating a hidden gun.

Actual quote from the book:

quote:

‘I have a small present for you here,’ Christian whispers. Holy crap. A butt plug

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You do not recall correctly. At all. In fact, you recall with the Platonic, quintessential definition of recalling incorrectly.

OH NO JOHN RINGO

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
Sex in novels is as well done or as awful as the ability of the author to write it that way. Just like sex scenes in TV or movies. If all you're reading is lovely wise cracking wizard genre fiction and all you're watching is 50 Shades of Grey then of course you're going to think it's impossible to use sex scenes effectively. The way Jim Butcher writes about his main character making a cup of coffee is just as cringe worthy as the way he writes about sex, the subject just makes it a bit more noticeable when he fucks things up.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

AlbieQuirky posted:

OH NO JOHN RINGO
I hate to break character, but it's OH JOHN RINGO NO

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Authors pretty much never won't work their horrible fetishes into sci-fi, fantasy and apparently thriller and racist screed novels too.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The sex scenes were the least objectionable part of the Turner Diaries, but not because they were good.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Authors pretty much never won't work their horrible fetishes into sci-fi, fantasy and apparently thriller and racist screed novels too.

Does this mean John Grisham has a fetish for really bland sex?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah, even though it got worse (much worse) in the later books, Ghost still had impressively terrible scenes. On the :rolleyes: side you had the thing where he picks up two random college girls on his yacht for an extended cruise (mind the implication) where he introduced them to BDSM in the most cringy way possible. On the :stonk: you had the part where he buys an underage prostitute who had almost certainly been trafficked and threatens her with death while he rapes her.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

ulex minor posted:

Sex in novels is as well done or as awful as the ability of the author to write it that way. Just like sex scenes in TV or movies. If all you're reading is lovely wise cracking wizard genre fiction and all you're watching is 50 Shades of Grey then of course you're going to think it's impossible to use sex scenes effectively. The way Jim Butcher writes about his main character making a cup of coffee is just as cringe worthy as the way he writes about sex, the subject just makes it a bit more noticeable when he fucks things up.

Hmm yes explicit sex scenes are a noble and storied part of literature and not weird at all.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ryonguy posted:

Hmm yes explicit sex scenes are a noble and storied part of literature and not weird at all.

Why are you assuming that the noble and storied parts of literature never got weird? Chaucer got real freaky, Joyce needs no introduction, and the poo poo in Ovid’s Metamorphosis would make the most jaded, perverse adultfanfiction denizen’s eyes bug out.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

ryonguy posted:

Um...yes? Sex is a powerful motivation for both actual humans and some characters. Literature doesn't exist in a sterile chaste void.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

13Pandora13 posted:

Um...yes? Sex is a powerful motivation for both actual humans and some characters. Literature doesn't exist in a sterile chaste void.

And then there's Asimov

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Winter Stormer posted:

And then there's Asimov

Well, someone's never read The Gods Themselves.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ryonguy posted:

This Absolon gan wype his mouth ful drye;
Derk was the night as pich, or as the cole,
And at the window out she putte hir hole,
And Absolon, him fil no bet ne wers,
But with his mouth he kiste hir naked ers
Ful savourly, er he was war of this.
Abak he sterte, and thoghte it was amis,
For wel he wiste a womman hath no berd;
He felte a thing al rough and long y-herd,
And seyde, ‘fy! allas! what have I do?’

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Apparently these are from a writing guide and are not presented as "what not to do":

http://fierceawakening.tumblr.com/post/173655794130/dear-white-male-writers-do-not-do-this

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The girl gasped a tortured groan from her clamped lungs, her sea blue eyes bulging forth from damp sockets. Cocking her right foot backwards, she leashed it desperately outwards with the strength of a demon possessed, lodging her sandled foot squarely between the shaman's testicles.

The startled priest released his crushing grip, crimping his body over at the waist overlooking his recessed belly; wide open in a deep chasim. His face flushed to a rose red shade of crimson, eyelids fluttering wide with eyeballs protruding blindly outwards from their sockets to their outmost perimeters, while his lips quivered wildly about allowing an agonized wallow to gust forth as his breath billowed from burning lungs. His hands reached out clutching his urinary gland as his knees wobbled rapidly about for a few seconds then buckled, causing the ruptured shaman to collapse in an egg huddled mass to the granite pavement, rolling helplessly about in his agony.

The pathetic screeches of the shaman groveling in dejected misery upon the hand hewn granite laid pavement, worn smooth by countless hours of arduous sweat and toil, a welter of ichor oozing through his clenched hands, attracted the purturbed attention of his comrades from their foetid ulations. The actions of this this rebellious wench bespoke the creedence of an unheard of sacrilige. Never before in a lost maze of untold eons had a chosen one dared to demonstrate such blasphemy in the face of the cult's idolic diety.

The girl cowered in unreasoning terror, helpless in the face of the emblazoned acolytes' rage; her orchid tusseled face smothered betwixt her bulging bosom as she shut her curled lashed tightly hoping to open them and find herself awakening from a morbid nightmare. yet the hand of destiny decreed her no such mercy, the antagonized pack of leering shaman converging tensely upon her prostrate form were entangled all too lividly in the grim web of reality.

Shuddering from the clamy touch of the shaman as they grappled with her supple form, hands wrenching at her slender arms and legs in all directions, her bare body being molested in the midst of a labyrnth of orange smudges, purpled satin, and mangled skulls, shadowed in an eerie crimson glow; her confused head reeled then clouded in a mist of enshrouding ebony as she lapsed beneath the protective sheet of unconsiousness to a land peach and resign.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

chitoryu12 posted:

The girl gasped a tortured groan from her clamped lungs, her sea blue eyes bulging forth from damp sockets. Cocking her right foot backwards, she leashed it desperately outwards with the strength of a demon possessed, lodging her sandled foot squarely between the shaman's testicles.

The startled priest released his crushing grip, crimping his body over at the waist overlooking his recessed belly; wide open in a deep chasim. His face flushed to a rose red shade of crimson, eyelids fluttering wide with eyeballs protruding blindly outwards from their sockets to their outmost perimeters, while his lips quivered wildly about allowing an agonized wallow to gust forth as his breath billowed from burning lungs. His hands reached out clutching his urinary gland as his knees wobbled rapidly about for a few seconds then buckled, causing the ruptured shaman to collapse in an egg huddled mass to the granite pavement, rolling helplessly about in his agony.

The pathetic screeches of the shaman groveling in dejected misery upon the hand hewn granite laid pavement, worn smooth by countless hours of arduous sweat and toil, a welter of ichor oozing through his clenched hands, attracted the purturbed attention of his comrades from their foetid ulations. The actions of this this rebellious wench bespoke the creedence of an unheard of sacrilige. Never before in a lost maze of untold eons had a chosen one dared to demonstrate such blasphemy in the face of the cult's idolic diety.

The girl cowered in unreasoning terror, helpless in the face of the emblazoned acolytes' rage; her orchid tusseled face smothered betwixt her bulging bosom as she shut her curled lashed tightly hoping to open them and find herself awakening from a morbid nightmare. yet the hand of destiny decreed her no such mercy, the antagonized pack of leering shaman converging tensely upon her prostrate form were entangled all too lividly in the grim web of reality.

Shuddering from the clamy touch of the shaman as they grappled with her supple form, hands wrenching at her slender arms and legs in all directions, her bare body being molested in the midst of a labyrnth of orange smudges, purpled satin, and mangled skulls, shadowed in an eerie crimson glow; her confused head reeled then clouded in a mist of enshrouding ebony as she lapsed beneath the protective sheet of unconsiousness to a land peach and resign.

I would have recognized this faster if you hadn't carefully selected a passage that doesn't contain the word "orbs."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dienes posted:

I would have recognized this faster if you hadn't carefully selected a passage that doesn't contain the word "orbs."

That I didn't recognise it sooner makes my crimson fluid of life boil.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

SerialKilldeer posted:

Apparently these are from a writing guide and are not presented as "what not to do":

http://fierceawakening.tumblr.com/post/173655794130/dear-white-male-writers-do-not-do-this

If I didn't already have an entry for the Lyttle Lytton in this year, "her Amazonian figure sat well on her wafer-thin body" would compel me.

Now I really want a Hall of Shame of terrible descriptive sentences that boil down to the author saying "she was really thin but she still had titties," because I don't even know how many of those fuckers I've read, besides "too goddamn many."

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

SerialKilldeer posted:

"Oyster-white teeth"? I assume the author meant mother-of-pearl, but now all I can imagine is some lovecraftian horror with rugged grey teeth covered in barnacles.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SerialKilldeer posted:

The first one is at least trying to be a joke.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The first one is at least trying to be a joke.
If it's a joke, the entire book is a joke. Scrolling through the generous Amazon preview is quite an experience.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I was sorting through some books that had been donated, and found not one but TWO books of 'I'm a teen girl and then aliens invade and I'm a badass but then there's a alien boy and he's just kooky and not genocidal and is handsome and ~love~' - the Twilight effect still lingers, I guess. I would have thought that trying to wipe out humanity would be a dealbreaker, but I guess writers think some ladies are into that.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

OldMemes posted:

I was sorting through some books that had been donated, and found not one but TWO books of 'I'm a teen girl and then aliens invade and I'm a badass but then there's a alien boy and he's just kooky and not genocidal and is handsome and ~love~' - the Twilight effect still lingers, I guess. I would have thought that trying to wipe out humanity would be a dealbreaker, but I guess writers think some ladies are into that.

That is a cliche way older than Twilight. Granted that at least sounds better than 200 year olds dating teenagers, and somehow still giving a poo poo about high school drama.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The actual author of Twilight wrote one of those stories (The Host) herself.

Also, I think it was Earth Girls Are Easy that's described as basically Summer Of My German Soldier but with a Martian.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The actual author of Twilight wrote one of those stories (The Host) herself.

Also, I think it was Earth Girls Are Easy that's described as basically Summer Of My German Soldier but with a Martian.

Also minus the questionable "this loyal German wants to go home and keep fighting, but he's not like a Nazi, so it's noble" part.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

...Eye of Argon?

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I was going to guess one of the Clan of the Cave Bear books but I don't recall them being that purple prose.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

queserasera posted:

I for one would love to read supernatural horror that doesn't involve a protagonist looking to bang or a written-to-be-bangable protagonist.

It wasn't really a Sex Scene, but The Darkest Part of the Woods had sex as a plot point and didn't stray into fetish. It stayed perfectly in Horror. It also didn't write out sex scenes or anything, it was just alluded to and hinted at. I VASTLY prefer that kind of thing. I'm always loving terrified when any horror veers towards sex, because jfc does that ever not go well VERY OFTEN.

Midnight Voyager has a new favorite as of 08:29 on May 24, 2018

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
"Men's Adventure" stuff is low hanging fruit but nonetheless check out this garbage I found:

The Amazon description is in allcaps:

quote:

BECAUSE SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO FIGHT FIRE WITH HELLFIRE, THERE’S CAINE DEATHWALKER, RAISED AS A DEMON, ARMED LIKE A GUN MERCHANT, AND FUELED BY BOOZE. NICE IS A DIRTY WORD AND KILLING IS WHAT HE DOES BEST. MAKE A CONTRACT WITH HELL, AND HE COULD BE ON YOUR SIDE, GOD HELP YOU.

IN THE WHITE JADE REAPER:

DRACULA WANTS HIS COFFIN BACK. CAINE’S ON THE JOB. ONE HITCH, A LITTLE GHOST GIRL IS HAUNTING HIS DREAMS, WANTING HIM TO FIND HER KILLER, TOO. NO PROBLEM; WHAT’S ONE MORE BODY AMONG THOSE THAT KEEP PILING UP? SINCE DEALING WITH THE DEAD ISN’T HIS THING, CAINE REUNITES WITH AN OLD FRIEND WHO’S A LIVING DOORWAY INTO THE GHOST REALM. GRACE BRINGS ALONG TWO CHAPERONES: MADISON, A VAMPIRE SLAYER IN TRAINING AND TUKKA, A TWO TON FU DOG ADDICTED TO CHOCOLATE.

SANTA FE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME.

And "Look Inside", jfc it's exactly what you'd expect from something that looks like a Da Share Z0ne parody.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Why does he need to have a magic tattoo to punch himself in the balls and yell at a woman?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

C.M. Kruger posted:

"Men's Adventure" stuff is low hanging fruit but nonetheless check out this garbage I found:

And "Look Inside", jfc it's exactly what you'd expect from something that looks like a Da Share Z0ne parody.

This kicks rear end

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I’m going to be chanting “White Jade Reaper, by Morgan Blayde, starring Caine Deathwalker” under my breath prodromally all day

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

C.M. Kruger posted:

Haven't giggled at prose lately, thank you.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

C.M. Kruger posted:

This is incredible and I desperately want to read it now.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

This is like Sandman Slim minus the modicum of self-awareness.

Heroin

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Harry drew his guitar, Fuckslayer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

"I need to work on my people skills."
Two seconds later: "Shut the gently caress up, frightened pathetic girls who don't want to die!"

Seriously, the way he describes the women makes my skin crawl.