Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Phenotype posted:

Wait, ATHF = Aqua Teen Hunger Force? That show was gone before it's time?

I loved that show for a while, but my chief complaint was that it felt like they were running out of ideas after Season 3 or 4. I stopped watching around the time the movie came out, I think the episode where the little weirdos with hooks were trying to steal everyone's dick because they signed the Terms of Service creeped me out a little too much. I can't believe that A:) they ended up getting ELEVEN seasons and B:) you guys seem to think the later stuff was really good. Did they change up their creative team or something? It felt like they were kinda running it into the ground by the time I stopped watching.

I enjoyed it. It was a weird rear end experiment of a show and they shook things up like three times since you last saw the show?

I am glad the Venture stream is still going. It's nice to to just drop in and watch bits through the day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Phenotype posted:

Wait, ATHF = Aqua Teen Hunger Force? That show was gone before it's time?

I loved that show for a while, but my chief complaint was that it felt like they were running out of ideas after Season 3 or 4. I stopped watching around the time the movie came out, I think the episode where the little weirdos with hooks were trying to steal everyone's dick because they signed the Terms of Service creeped me out a little too much. I can't believe that A:) they ended up getting ELEVEN seasons and B:) you guys seem to think the later stuff was really good. Did they change up their creative team or something? It felt like they were kinda running it into the ground by the time I stopped watching.

"Dickesode" is considered by many to be their best episode ever.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nobody has ever been that dedicated in what essentially is a very long series of dick jokes and nobody ever will again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Carl's Lock continued for about a year after the show ended, iirc. I know nothing about American football (besides the basic rules, I have a soft spot for it since it was the first sport where the PE teacher actually explained the rules before playing) but found it immensely amusing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Carl's stone cold lock of the century of the week was still rolling last season iirc.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Broodwich.

I love the alternate dimension art style.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

tarlibone posted:

Broodwich.

I love the alternate dimension art style.

I haven’t seen past season 7, but the Broodwich is my favorite episode. I can still quote the whole broodwich intorduction by heart. :v:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Honestly it just seems weird to me how people complain about Mike Lazzo for killing Space Ghost and ATHF before their times, he straight up created Space Ghost, and he was very heavily involved with ATHF in the early days before gradually doing less with it.

The only reason ATHF isn't the longest running series Adult Swim ever did is that Venture Bros has surpassed it (and the first ATHF was actually pre-Adult Swim, it premiered on just Cartoon Network)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Isn't Lazzo the only reason that VB is still on the air? I thought he championed the series since the beginning because he likes it.

Though I guess that's a pretty lovely way to run a company just based on your personal preferences. But hey, it works for me because I either didn't like those other shows or got tired of them well before they got canceled.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Don't worry, Lazzo is also just kind of a lovely dude even if he likes VB

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I like that they killed a Lazzo standin on camera.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

We live in a world where Pickle Rick is nominated for an Emmy but Venture Bros never will be.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Mantis42 posted:

We live in a world where Pickle Rick is nominated for an Emmy but Venture Bros never will be.

a seventy episode renewal would kill my interest in literally any show, even VB

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

RandallODim posted:

a seventy episode renewal would kill my interest in literally any show, even VB

it’s fine. harmon or roiland or both are going to keel over around season 6

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I think the 70 episode thing is just a nod to the joke about "seven more seasons" in the season 3 opener.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think the 70 episode thing is just a nod to the joke about "seven more seasons" in the season 3 opener.

Nope.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

rick and morty is venture bros if you removed the funny parts and amped up the bad parts

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I mean I know they announced it but it's not like there's a pdf of a signed contract - they could just be in on it, no?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah but we get venture brothers in 24 days. I'm burning my way through on Hulu right now.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What time does this show air anyway? Wasn't it, like, midnight? In between last season and this season I got old and started going to bed early so I'll be a day behind :smith:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

They should have another theater premiere like they did for season 5, that was fun. I’m not holding my breath though

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The stream played some episodes out of order. They went showdown at cremation creek - doctor is sin - shadowman 9 in the cradle of destiny.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Tatsuta Age posted:

rick and morty is venture bros if you removed the funny parts and amped up the bad parts

it's if venture bros was actually about failure, and I say that as someone who thinks there are a number of very good R&M episodes

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

The stream played some episodes out of order. They went showdown at cremation creek - doctor is sin - shadowman 9 in the cradle of destiny.

My memory might be playing tricks but is it me or did the stream skip Billy finding Stevie's corpse?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SeanBeansShako posted:

My memory might be playing tricks but is it me or did the stream skip Billy finding Stevie's corpse?

No, they showed it. My stream craps out periodically and I have to reload it, but the stream in general is better than hulu. The audio, in particular, is noticeably better airplaying the stream from my phone vs pulling it up on hulu's appletv app.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SeanBeansShako posted:

No, he found the corpse. Unless my brain just filled that part in on its own.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wasn't Metalocaypse canceled because Small had no interest in moving to plot forward or something?

I like Rick and Morty enough, but its like Ice Pirates to the Venture Bros Star Wars.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Just the opposite, Metalocalypse was in the home stretch and [adult swim] cancelled it before they could wrap up the story.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

twistedmentat posted:

Wasn't Metalocaypse canceled because Small had no interest in moving to plot forward or something?

I like Rick and Morty enough, but its like Ice Pirates to the Venture Bros Star Wars.

Ice Pirates rocked rear end, just in a different way.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

As another ATHF fan whose zeal for it petered out after S6, welp. Sounds like I've got another sesh to book

e: I still occasionally watch old reconstituted Cartoon Planet episodes just to bask in the soothing 90s hot tub once more

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 13, 2018

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Mantis42 posted:

Just the opposite, Metalocalypse was in the home stretch and [adult swim] cancelled it before they could wrap up the story.

Yeah this is blue balls incarnate. They tried to revive the show with a bunch of backers but Adult Swim firmly denied it. I really wanted to see how it all turned out :(

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

The thing with ATHF and most adult swim shows is that there is zero quality control, so the difference between a good and a bad episode is massive. Aqua teen certainly wasn't batting 1000 in its later years but stuff like the pod alien that likes chickenfoot is goddamn gold and is, to me, worth sitting through the lovely episodes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Servaetes posted:

Yeah this is blue balls incarnate. They tried to revive the show with a bunch of backers but Adult Swim firmly denied it. I really wanted to see how it all turned out :(

It's largely Small's fault. Adult Swim can't really play the opera because it can't be broken up into episodic chunks. He wanted to do that to wrap up the show as well. Adult Swim isn't going to pay out to him or sign off on him dicking around and making another show they can't air.

Also, there's some IP issues between the two parties so Small wiped his hands of the entire thing 2 or 3 years ago.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I did not think ATHF was ever funny. It seemed to consist of nothing but monkeycheese "random" humor. Also, I could never understand a loving word that the meatball guy said.

Of course, I seem to dislike everything that's popular so there might just be something wrong with me. :shrug:

I remember when VB came out, I watched it preparing to absolutely hate it because of how much I disliked everything else in the adult swim block, and it actually took me a while to be won over.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I almost wish you guys hadn't told me about the VB stream. I've been watching this for hours now; can't stop.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

prefect posted:

I almost wish you guys hadn't told me about the VB stream. I've been watching this for hours now; can't stop.

I toss it up anytime I'm bored and just want some background noise. Been great every time. I even enjoyed State Dinner in season 2.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

Ice Pirates rocked rear end, just in a different way.

God, I love the 80ness of that movie.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Doesn't Metalocalypse just have the rock opera to do and then the story is over? God, why kill it there?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I consider Home Movies to be very nearly the perfect show. Yet I could never get into Metalocalypse no matter how hard I tried to see the Small connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pope Guilty posted:

Doesn't Metalocalypse just have the rock opera to do and then the story is over? God, why kill it there?

ATHF got a movie in theaters before obama was elected, metalocalypse surely would have been able to pull similar numbers if they made the opera into a movie back when the show was hot