Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

BigFactory posted:

Do they work?

I don't know. I'm trying to arrange a time to go and take a look at it throw money at him.

minivanmegafun posted:

IIRC those aren't even on a backplane, they were just on wires and bolted to the back panel.

That's a easy peasy repair, and I don't even think you'd need to worry about finding original parts for that. Hell you might just be able to put them back in place.

If it works otherwise, that's definitely worth $100.

This is what I was thinking and hoping. Thanks for replying. I figure if the inputs work (which they probably should) I can bolt the panel back in place or glue it if I have to. If they don't work they probably just got disconnected somewhere and can be resoldered.

I'm thinking a Marantz will sound a bit better than my SX-750. If not at least it looks a whole ton better for $100.

edit: it's fun pretending like I know how to use a soldering iron. I guess you gotta learn somehow.

LooksLikeABabyRat fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I would jump on that Marantz for $100. They're worth well over that. In his picture he has the tape input hooked up so I'm guessing that works (but you'll want to verify).

Best I can tell from the service manual is that the inputs are on a backplace, though It's hard to tell if it's the same piece as the other inputs, or if each section is physically separate. I'm betting they are separate since there are screws around each section.

I would expect it to be a fairly simple fix as long as the tape inputs are still working.

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I'm thinking a Marantz will sound a bit better than my SX-750. If not at least it looks a whole ton better

How dare you. Am I the only one who thinks Marantz are among the ugliest receivers out there?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

wa27 posted:

I would jump on that Marantz for $100. They're worth well over that. In his picture he has the tape input hooked up so I'm guessing that works (but you'll want to verify).

Best I can tell from the service manual is that the inputs are on a backplace, though It's hard to tell if it's the same piece as the other inputs, or if each section is physically separate. I'm betting they are separate since there are screws around each section.

I would expect it to be a fairly simple fix as long as the tape inputs are still working.

How dare you. Am I the only one who thinks Marantz are among the ugliest receivers out there?

I have a Pioneer Sx-626 and it's probably my favorite looking receiver and lives in my office. I do like the styling of the Sx-750, but I have a perpetual hard on for blue lights.

edit:

LooksLikeABabyRat fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 2, 2018

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
If there isn’t some other trauma that happened to it when the plugs were pushed in, I’d say it’s an easy fix. But I don’t know how crowded that part of that receiver is.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Has anyone here replaced the rca cables on their turntable? I’m setting my girlfriends system up and the cables out of hers are *rough*. All I have heard is short length and low capacitance but I have zero idea how to test capacitance and it’s rarely listed as a stat.

It’s a Kenwood KD-2070 so I’m fairly certain I’ll be doing some soldering once it’s opened up.

Basically looking for cable suggestions, ideally cheaply shipped to Canada.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

DoesNotCompute posted:

Has anyone here replaced the rca cables on their turntable? I’m setting my girlfriends system up and the cables out of hers are *rough*. All I have heard is short length and low capacitance but I have zero idea how to test capacitance and it’s rarely listed as a stat.

It’s a Kenwood KD-2070 so I’m fairly certain I’ll be doing some soldering once it’s opened up.

Basically looking for cable suggestions, ideally cheaply shipped to Canada.

I have heard from randos on the internet that component video cables (RGB) are lower capacitance than your average RW cables and therefore preferable, but I dunno what the hard numbers/facts on that are.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Component cables are good, but are getting harder to find in this HDMI age.

Blue Jeans Cable sells low-capacitance phono cables that don't cost an arm and a leg.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

KozmoNaut posted:

Component cables are good, but are getting harder to find in this HDMI age.

Blue Jeans Cable sells low-capacitance phono cables that don't cost an arm and a leg.

I definitely have a component video cable or 11 in my basement, time to go find the nicest one and start hacking away at it.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Seller gave me the run around so I didn’t end up getting it. Bummer.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DoesNotCompute posted:

I definitely have a component video cable or 11 in my basement, time to go find the nicest one and start hacking away at it.

Component (RGB/YPbPr), not composite :)

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

edit: it's fun pretending like I know how to use a soldering iron. I guess you gotta learn somehow.

Yeah, soldering is pretty easy, especially things like cables and old, discrete electronics. Takes a little practice, but nothing you can't manage. Pick up a low end Weller, a big tip and a little tip, some solder and desoldering braid, and you're good to go take something apart and put it back together.

Multimeter can help diagnosing problems, but that's a separate skill. (Don't waste your money on a cheap multimeter.)

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

KozmoNaut posted:

Component (RGB/YPbPr), not composite :)

Yep! Found one that should work, turns out it was only 3 sets of component in the obsolete cable box, four billion composite.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I posted earlier about being given a Yamaha RX 596 and it's been great so far, but the volume control is a little wonky (crackles and the channels cut in and out when you're not careful). Since it's one of the motorized ones, can I still just use deoxit the way I normally would or is it more complicated?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The volume is motorized?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Cojawfee posted:

The volume is motorized?

Presumably for remote control? It should work like a normal pot. Putting DeOxit on it basically can't hurt as long as the whole thing isn't sealed or something.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Cojawfee posted:

The volume is motorized?

Yeah, the knob physically turns when you use the remote instead of some kind of digital (I guess) solution.

Jeza posted:

Presumably for remote control? It should work like a normal pot. Putting DeOxit on it basically can't hurt as long as the whole thing isn't sealed or something.

Cool, thanks! I haven't opened it yet to check if it's sealed or not.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

A guy in my area posted a craigslist ad saying he was purging his stereo collection. I wound up checking it out yesterday and walked away with a Marantz 2220B and Dynaco A25s for $180 total.

I didn't expect to like the Marantz as much as I do. I'm driving my Large Advents with it, and I think it sounds better than my SX-750 (which might need a recap anyway). I really thought it would struggle at only 20wpc. I'll probably sell the Dynaco's because I don't like them as much as my Advents, but they're great speakers and I was glad to be able to give them a shot for cheap.

I'm going to replace the lamps in the Marantz with LEDs, I've already fixed the missing tape monitor button and scrubbed the silver face with a magic eraser. A little dusting and dexoit and it was good to go!

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

A guy in my area posted a craigslist ad saying he was purging his stereo collection. I wound up checking it out yesterday and walked away with a Marantz 2220B and Dynaco A25s for $180 total.

I didn't expect to like the Marantz as much as I do. I'm driving my Large Advents with it, and I think it sounds better than my SX-750 (which might need a recap anyway). I really thought it would struggle at only 20wpc. I'll probably sell the Dynaco's because I don't like them as much as my Advents, but they're great speakers and I was glad to be able to give them a shot for cheap.

I'm going to replace the lamps in the Marantz with LEDs, I've already fixed the missing tape monitor button and scrubbed the silver face with a magic eraser. A little dusting and dexoit and it was good to go!

That’s a solid deal, you’ll recoup most of it selling those speakers. I just got a set of Asvents at an estate auction. For 30 bucks. They’re pretty satisfying and the highs on them are very very front and center.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

The Advents might seriously be my "for life" speakers. I compare everything to them and always go back. I have a pair of the bookshelf model 3's in my office too. They sound great at reasonable volumes (bass farts if I turn it up too high).

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Here’s the marantz all cleaned up. Replacement LEDs on their way.

I hooked up the Dynacos again and put them on stands and they really do sound great. Maybe a little less low end than the advents, but drat they’re nice.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
i have a similar combo (A25+2225) and it sounds great! good job cleaning that up. why not just stack them and run both sets?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

My wife complains about the “aesthetics.” She’s pretty understanding about me having a revolving door of stereo equipment so long as the space stays neat and tidy. Probably best to not push my luck. :)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How can someone complain about the aesthetics of bare metal?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Older pic, but I try to keep it neat because it's sort of a focal point for our apartment. Two receivers, or stacks of speakers, would make it look a little less put together.

Dog for lovely scale, because she's a weird size.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Older pic, but I try to keep it neat because it's sort of a focal point for our apartment. Two receivers, or stacks of speakers, would make it look a little less put together.

Dog for lovely scale, because she's a weird size.

I like your view and also whatever the plant on the right is called (it's called "troll's leaf" here). Oh and also White Stripes.

e: Actually I guess the "mother-in-law's tongue" is more to the right.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

I think we call those snake plants. They're impossible to kill so we have 3 of them in our apartment.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
nice eames chair too. you should get some stands for the speakers so they're at eye level.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

wolfbiker posted:

nice eames chair too. you should get some stands for the speakers so they're at eye level.

Nice possible heightism.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

wolfbiker posted:

I have stands that will raise them about a foot higher off the floor, but I prefer the way they sound on the ground.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I have stands that will raise them about a foot higher off the floor, but I prefer the way they sound on the ground.

The guys who designed them would probably beg to differ, but you do you.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I, too, enjoy boundary reinforcement gain.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Any goons have experience with the Pioneer SX-1500TD? The Marantz sounds great, but it's not quite cutting it power-wise with my Large Advents. I found a guy locally that's considering a trade. 58wpc sounds nice, and I heard they're warm with good clarity, but I'm not sure if it's going to be better than my 750. I do love those blue lights though!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Any goons have experience with the Pioneer SX-1500TD? The Marantz sounds great, but it's not quite cutting it power-wise with my Large Advents. I found a guy locally that's considering a trade. 58wpc sounds nice, and I heard they're warm with good clarity, but I'm not sure if it's going to be better than my 750. I do love those blue lights though!

Pioneers of that vintage are generally considered to be on the "warm" side like Marantz, but I'm not sure if that's the best you could do if you looked around. A cursory glance online doesn't seem to show the SX-1500TD as being super highly rated in terms of pure performance or build quality and looks.

It looks like it's an early SS receiver from the late 60s- very cool from a historical perspective but you're probably better off looking for something from the 70s (an audiokarma thread suggests something like the SX-650, which I actually have and like a lot, though it's currently in storage. It's rated at 35wpc but had no problem running my HPM-900s as loud as my 120wpc Yamaha CR2040 Monstah when I had it hooked up).TBH, it sounds like the other guy would make out a lot better in the trade than you but I'll let more knowledgable folks chime in.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Idk why I keep hunting for stuff similar to my Sx-750 and then just going back to it anyway. I guess I just like trying new stuff.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Idk why I keep hunting for stuff similar to my Sx-750 and then just going back to it anyway. I guess I just like trying new stuff.

Nothing wrong with that. I missed the part where you said you have a 750. Definitely hold onto that. I’ve never owned a Marantz but if you’re after warmth, I can’t imagine that the 750 is going to let you down too much in that regard (you or others feel free to set me straight if you think I should get on that train at some point). Personally, the 650 was plenty warm for me and my main setup’s been based around a “clean and uncolored” Yamaha for ~5 years now so maybe I’m missing out on something or it’s just not my jam.

Perhaps the answer you seek is some more efficient (and/or smaller?) speakers for the Marantz and to set it up elsewhere, or store it in the near term for an eventual move. 25 wpc is perfect for a bedroom/library/office/second/third setup. If you’re ok with not having a remote control or surround, it’s also honestly not very hard to make a small vintage receiver like that play nice with a TV/Bluetooth/streaming/whatever modern thing if having a second turntable setup seems....er, ungainly.

For a long time I had an Apple TV running to an old receiver through an HDMI breakout box and I currently have an Airport Express pulling Airplay duty for the CR-2040. Works a treat aside from having to get up to do poo poo like change the volume or shut it off :rolleyes:

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 14, 2018

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Nothing wrong with that. I missed the part where you said you have a 750. Definitely hold onto that. I’ve never owned a Marantz but if you’re after warmth, I can’t imagine that the 750 is going to let you down too much in that regard (you or others feel free to set me straight if you think I should get on that train at some point). Personally, the 650 was plenty warm for me and my main setup’s been based around a “clean and uncolored” Yamaha for ~5 years now so maybe I’m missing out on something or it’s just not my jam.

Perhaps the answer you seek is some more efficient (and/or smaller?) speakers for the Marantz and to set it up elsewhere, or store it in the near term for an eventual move. 25 wpc is perfect for a bedroom/library/office/second/third setup. If you’re ok with not having a remote control or surround, it’s also honestly not very hard to make a small vintage receiver like that play nice with a TV/Bluetooth/streaming/whatever modern thing if having a second turntable setup seems....er, ungainly.

For a long time I had an Apple TV running to an old receiver through an HDMI breakout box and I currently have an Airport Express pulling Airplay duty for the CR-2040.

I also have an sx-626 paired with (thrifted!) Advent Model 3s in my office so realistically I should keep one or the other. The SX-626 was my first vintage receiver so I've got an attachment to it. I use an airport express to stream to the 626 at the office and the 750 at home.

I'll probably sell the Marantz and the Dynacos and keep an eye out for other interesting stuff popping up for sale to try out.

Here's a pano of the home stuff because I feel like sharing and the sun is out.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I also have an sx-626 paired with (thrifted!) Advent Model 3s in my office so realistically I should keep one or the other. The SX-626 was my first vintage receiver so I've got an attachment to it. I use an airport express to stream to the 626 at the office and the 750 at home.

I'll probably sell the Marantz and the Dynacos and keep an eye out for other interesting stuff popping up for sale to try out.

Here's a pano of the home stuff because I feel like sharing and the sun is out.

Dope

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
My testing bench in the basement is getting....crowded. Featuring the New Advents I picked up for a song at an auction the other day, that I have to find original woofers for because the previous owner put generic 12" in instead of refoaming the originals 10"s. Also the switchable crossovers only work in "extend", normal or defeat completely cuts out the tweeters so I gotta do some tinkering on those.

Also the home office-y area has finally hit a point where I don't feel like I need anything new.

And the living room is just waiting for a phono preamp so I can get a turntable out there, the NAD C740 irritatingly has no phono stage.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
you guys have great stuff, you're making me jealous. maybe i'll post my stuff later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

DoesNotCompute posted:

Also the home office-y area has finally hit a point where I don't feel like I need anything new.

Some great setups. What are the prints in the office pic?