Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

All hilarious responses. I'll be sure to check for the latest Atlanta or Killing Eve Funko Pop the next time I visit the hot topic.

You got me on enjoying Humans though, important research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

70-80 miles away from a broadcast tower. It is really the tall trees and essentially a tiny forest keeping me from having a reliable signal.

A few years ago, I was able to use my cable internet connection to get local channels...I miss those days.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I pretty much only keep DTV Now for HBO Go for myself, and having a login to the Nickelodeon/Disney TV anywhere apps on my kid's iPad.

Now that Westworld is done for the season and likely won't be back until 2020, I probably will cancel the HBO.

If the Nick/Disney apps had IAPs where I could just buy a monthly subscription directly, I'd jump on that and tell DTV to pound sand altogether.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

70-80 miles away from a broadcast tower. It is really the tall trees and essentially a tiny forest keeping me from having a reliable signal.

A few years ago, I was able to use my cable internet connection to get local channels...I miss those days.

Yeah, Clear QAM was an awesome thing, until cable company lobbying managed to get the no local encryption rule removed...and during the Obama-era FCC and Wheeler at that.

Having said that your situation is totally doable if A) You get the right antenna and make the effort to install it correctly B) Use an app like the free one from Wineguard (Apple, Android stores) to line it up correctly using your phone and C) Live somewhere (i.e. not an apartment on the opposite side from the towers you need) that affords you the freedom to make A and B work.

If so, it isn't that hard, or expensive. I spent a sweaty morning in my attic (Texas is loving hot) after doing my research and getting the right tools to crimp coax (cheap) and the right antenna for my attic ($35 on Amazon) then figuring out the best way to tap in to the coax running in my house. It has been smooth OTA sailing ever since. OTA plus a skinny bundle will cover most stuff. Since I don't watch sports and my wife spends 99% of her time on the Plex server, Netflix, or Prime Video anyway I am probably going to drop the skinny bundle (currently, Sling) too because gently caress if I ever use it after the first couple months having it. The only premium service I have is HBO Now and I am perfectly happy paying for that, because I use it.

If you watch a ton of regional sports then yeah, OTA+Skinny+maybe your sport of choice app (MLB.tv, whatever) has you covered. Still cheaper than a cable/sat. package overall. And no contracts, cancel whenever. Really the latter is what makes "cable tv with buffering" a good thing.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I still have it :) I'm on the fringes of the metro area with a bankrupt carrier that Wideopenwest bought a few years ago. WOW has come out and said that they're done upgrading cable TV, focusing completely on broadband and IPTV so hoping it stays.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love in the boobies and literally only get PBS with a antenna.

But, WatchTV is perfect for me. It literally has every channel we watch (Food Network ones) and the ones it misses I can just sign up for Philo or whatever.

Still wish YouTube tv had food network though then it’d be perfect

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ixian posted:

Having said that your situation is totally doable if A) You get the right antenna and make the effort to install it correctly B) Use an app like the free one from Wineguard (Apple, Android stores) to line it up correctly using your phone and C) Live somewhere (i.e. not an apartment on the opposite side from the towers you need) that affords you the freedom to make A and B work.

I live in an apartment and get good reception from transmitters ~27 miles out from a directional indoor antenna. One time my antenna was in a different alignment (I'm pretty sure my roommate messed with it), and got some channel I'd never seen before, which is probably a bit farther since TVfool has the next nearest transmitter at 67 miles, but that very well could have been a fluke.

Admittedly, I also don't live in an downtown area and my current apartment isn't made out of bricks (my last one was and I got similar results). My current complex does allow the mini-dishes, so when I can justify buying a better antenna, I'm planning to bargain with them about installing it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Empress Brosephine posted:

I love in the boobies

Don't we all

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I love in the boobies
Same, OP

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

I love in the boobies and literally only get PBS with a antenna.

Maybe you should reconsider your "antenna" placement.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

My current complex does allow the mini-dishes, so when I can justify buying a better antenna, I'm planning to bargain with them about installing it.

IIRC, if you live in an apartment and have a balcony or deck, they have to let you install one there if you want, if you're in the U.S.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish there was a service that offered everything. Right now I’m trying to find a service that lets me stream at 2 locations that has food network and destination America and it’s like impossible. PsVue would work but you’re limited to one location ugh. Dorectvnow has a package but I get 0 locals through them. Just all frustrating.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I know that your PSVue log in allows you to log into the separate tv everywhere app/channel for Food Network. That is not location restricted.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I have a Roku stick and I've been using YoutubeTV. Does anyone else have an issue with YoutubeTV just kicking you back to the Roku Home menu while watching VOD? It seems like it just happens when I have to watch one of those scheduled commercials during the playback.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

I wish there was a service that offered everything. Right now I’m trying to find a service that lets me stream at 2 locations that has food network and destination America and it’s like impossible. PsVue would work but you’re limited to one location ugh. Dorectvnow has a package but I get 0 locals through them. Just all frustrating.

Likely going to get worse and more fragmented, not better.

You are better off accepting what offers the most stuff you like and dropping the rest. There's a ton of poo poo out there to watch. Trying to replicate the exact same model as a cable or satellite TV package, only cheaper and over the internet (cable with buffering) is a losing game. The rules have changed.

Do the promotional package dance with whatever local cable system locked down the monopoly in your area or start watching TV differently, basically.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Has anyone had success with Directv Now's record feature ? I recorded some things over the past few days and the playback has issues. It seems to stutter and skip a second here and there.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Jose Oquendo posted:

Has anyone had success with Directv Now's record feature ? I recorded some things over the past few days and the playback has issues. It seems to stutter and skip a second here and there.

I recorded a few things recently and finally got around to watching a movie the weekend before last. The playback was pristine and fast forwarding through commercials was pretty easy. I was on a Roku Streaming Stick Plus.

For as frustrating/buggy as the new app design is on the Roku, I have to say I was pretty impressed with the DVR. I'm working from a small sample size though...

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I DVRd the World Cup game today and playback was not very good looking on my aTV4k.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Ixian posted:

What you want doesn't exist. Get over it and run some coax.

I know it sucks, I spent way too long myself sweating my balls off in my attic in the Texas heat installing my antenna, but it was worth it, all my locals come in with strong signals now, no matter the time of day or weather.

Get a decent attic antenna - I got this one, it's only $35 and works great http://a.co/9ME6QZa - and some coax. Chances are good you can tap in to existing coax somewhere that's already installed.

Don't forget to check Antennaweb (or there's an app by Wineguard you can use with your phone) to check where your stations are and align the antenna accordingly.

I did this. Ran coax from rooftop to HDHR in the living room. Using plex. All is good. Would recommend.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like to use my Apple TV exclusively for TV. I have a HDD with about 2TB of movies and junk on it that I have set up to stream to my ATV with an app. It's great.

I'm getting an HD HomeRun and am gonna use, I guess, the Channels app to use it on my Apple TV. What are my options as far as DVR goes? I've heard rumors on the lips of townsfolk that I can use Plex somehow to DVR poo poo, but I'm still clueless as to how to do it. I really don't want to spend $8/mo for DVR through the Channels app.

e: I should add, I don't mean how do I subscribe to it-- I mean, wouldn't I need to set up a plex media server?

jokes fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 11, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jokes posted:

I like to use my Apple TV exclusively for TV. I have a HDD with about 2TB of movies and junk on it that I have set up to stream to my ATV with an app. It's great.

I'm getting an HD HomeRun and am gonna use, I guess, the Channels app to use it on my Apple TV. What are my options as far as DVR goes? I've heard rumors on the lips of townsfolk that I can use Plex somehow to DVR poo poo, but I'm still clueless as to how to do it. I really don't want to spend $8/mo for DVR through the Channels app.

e: I should add, I don't mean how do I subscribe to it-- I mean, wouldn't I need to set up a plex media server?

If you have Plex Pass you can DVR. I can verify it works fantastic enough that I ended up popping for a lifetime Plex Pass.

It’s pretty intuitive and they have good tutorials on their site on how to get Plex working with your HDHR and how to use the DVR. You do need some sort of local network storage (NAS/or Folder Share) so you can save the recordings.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Before I go nuts with all my settings I should ask - anyone else having issues with PS Vue on Apple TV today? I keep getting an "Internet Connection Error" screen no matter what I do. Tried restarting my router, resetting the ATV, reinstalling the app, and running other streaming apps on the ATV (they worked fine). Vue is working on other devices so I'm wondering if there's an issue with it on ATV specifically.

e: just checked and even the super-lovely Roku 1 app is working fine, come on Apple

Connecting to my guest WiFi network and then back to the main network seemed to fix it. Not sure why just cycling the main connection didn't work (or why everything but Vue was working the entire time) but oh well!

Minidust fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 12, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Why come on Apple? They don’t make that app.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

For an AppleTV with an HDHomeRun, you've got two options for homebrew DVR: Plex if you have a Plex Pass subscription or Channels with their monthly subscription.

While I haven't tried the Plex DVR since the beta years ago (and didn't really enjoy the experience), I can't say enough good things about Channels.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 11, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Plex added an option to strip commercials too, which is neat.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Plex DVR actually works pretty decent now, if you have a good antenna installed right (see earlier in thread) you shouldn't have any problems. It will also pop the recorded stuff right in your TV library if you want. I actually have a pretty decent collection of shows now, mostly background noise poo poo like Big Bang Theory, due to this.

Roku client still lacks recording support; timeshift (pause) only. So you have to schedule through the web client for those. And they haven't rolled out the (very nice) grid-guide view to any TV clients yet, though that's coming.

Commercial skip is still "experimental" - it's CPU intensive (i.e. don't try it on a low powered PMS box) and "not perfect". It also permanently removes the sections it thinks are commercials so if it accidentally cuts off some of the show you are out of luck.

IMHO Commercial skipping is not really worth it for the space savings or time, it's easy enough to skip past them as it is with most clients.

Overall if you have PlexPass and an HDHR Plex DVR is worth using.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ixian posted:

Plex DVR actually works pretty decent now, if you have a good antenna installed right (see earlier in thread) you shouldn't have any problems. It will also pop the recorded stuff right in your TV library if you want. I actually have a pretty decent collection of shows now, mostly background noise poo poo like Big Bang Theory, due to this.

Roku client still lacks recording support; timeshift (pause) only. So you have to schedule through the web client for those. And they haven't rolled out the (very nice) grid-guide view to any TV clients yet, though that's coming.

Commercial skip is still "experimental" - it's CPU intensive (i.e. don't try it on a low powered PMS box) and "not perfect". It also permanently removes the sections it thinks are commercials so if it accidentally cuts off some of the show you are out of luck.

IMHO Commercial skipping is not really worth it for the space savings or time, it's easy enough to skip past them as it is with most clients.

Overall if you have PlexPass and an HDHR Plex DVR is worth using.

I know this is the “Cutting Cable” thread, but Plex and Channels DVR also works with an HDHR Prime with a cable-card. I went to upgrade my internet speed to 300 Mbps and Comcast ended up offering me better deal for Internet + Cable than I was paying for Internet + PS Vue. So I’m back walking the dark side until the locked in price expires.

Anyhow, I can DVR and watch every channel except for the “protected” channels (more because Plex and the Channels app can’t afford the fees required to get the keys). So that that means I can’t DVR/watch with Plex or Channels app any premium channel like HBO, Starz, etc... (and strangely enough Bravo), but that’s no huge loss.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

I got an HDHomerun Connect and one of those flat antennas, no channels can be found. Nearest broadcast station is 25 miles way. Should this be as simple as buying a better antenna? Connecting to the HDHomerun via Plex or direct web is fine, the unit is alive.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Decairn posted:

I got an HDHomerun Connect and one of those flat antennas, no channels can be found. Nearest broadcast station is 25 miles way. Should this be as simple as buying a better antenna? Connecting to the HDHomerun via Plex or direct web is fine, the unit is alive.

Make sure your antenna has one of its faces pointing to the broadcast source. When I set up my antenna, I used AntennaWeb and the compass app in my phone to get them lined up.

https://www.antennaweb.org/Address

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Looking at my results on antennaweb, that’s the kind of distances where my similar one starts to struggle. The 15 miles ones tend to be far more reliable.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Decairn posted:

Yes. The flat ones are notoriously hit or miss and hard to position right. In some circumstances they work great but doesn't look like yours is one of them.

Search for the Winguard AR Antenna app on the Apple/Android store (it's free) - it's very accurate, and makes using your phone to find the precise direction(s) your station towers are at dead easy.

If you can get either flat side of the antenna fully angled towards the towers (and keep in mind depending on your area and you location in it you may well have several towers spaced out in different directions) you might be able to make it work. Also depends on what is in and/or behind the wall you have it mounted on. And remember that antennas and metal don't go well together from a signal reflection standpoint.

Also, if you are mounting it behind the TV itself (which is common) and the station towers are actually on the other side (i.e. the antenna needs to pick up the signals with the TV in front of it) you are going to have problems.

If you can get enough coax cable to extend it (like 25 feet, which is dirt cheap at any Home Depot/Lowes or Amazon) you can play around with different positions in your house to at least see where the best location is. Then try to reconcile that with where you actually want the antenna to be. You may well end up being better off with a different antenna - table top unit, or if you can manage it, an attic antenna would be better.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 12, 2018

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I live in Dallas and there's some major bullshit with ABC here. I get every channel crystal clear, no problems, except for ABC. The station is like 15 miles away, which should be within my antenna's range, but I barely get it.

So now I'm gonna get a stronger antenna (the 50-mile leaf). I know people here have an issue with ABC because it's the only VHF channel but gently caress dude, this is obnoxious.

I only got the antenna/HDHR for locals because paying $50/mo to directvnow for the privilege of watching OTA poo poo is annoying. After this antenna, this will all have cost me $160 which is 3 months of streaming services I guess.

jokes fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 13, 2018

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ever since the WatchTV stuff my directvnow barely works. The guide doesn’t load or nothing. Att support is useless but I Atleast keep getting credits off it so.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

jokes posted:

I live in Dallas and there's some major bullshit with ABC here. I get every channel crystal clear, no problems, except for ABC. The station is like 15 miles away, which should be within my antenna's range, but I barely get it.

So now I'm gonna get a stronger antenna (the 50-mile leaf). I know people here have an issue with ABC because it's the only VHF channel but gently caress dude, this is obnoxious.

I only got the antenna/HDHR for locals because paying $50/mo to directvnow for the privilege of watching OTA poo poo is annoying. After this antenna, this will all have cost me $160 which is 3 months of streaming services I guess.

Vhf requires a diff antenna design than uhf

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Ixian posted:

Search for the Winguard AR Antenna app on the Apple/Android store (it's free) - it's very accurate, and makes using your phone to find the precise direction(s) your station towers are at dead easy.

Which app is this? I can't find it in the app store, and other options looked pretty hit or miss.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it didn’t come up for me either when I looked yesterday. I grabbed another free one (searches “antenna”) and got something called WatchFreeH... (not sure the full name now, as it’s cut off on the screen) which is very basic and matches the directions I was expecting from where I am.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I don't know about Winguard but I've used Signal GH to fine tune my HDHomeRun with great success.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/signal-gh/id289580769?mt=8

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's called "Winegard - TV Signal Finder"

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Yeah sorry, misspelled it.

Links on their page: http://www.winegard.com/apps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Don Lapre posted:

Vhf requires a diff antenna design than uhf

Yeah but a lot of antennas do both. It's just that in the process of making it work for both, the antenna loses reliability with VHF signal apparently.